Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Combining Concerts with Major Sports Events is Wrong
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 18, 2012 15:37

I was reading the "Some Kinda Stones Connection" thread and there was a post suggesting that the Stones and Faces will be playing at the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, respectively.

This crap is really getting old. I've had enough with the Superbowl Halftime b.s. and fallout. Now we have to have more of the same s... with the Olympics??

Enough is Enough. I like both entities equally but let's keep them separated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 15:54 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Combining Music with Major Sports Events is Wrong
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 18, 2012 15:40

It's an anything for a buck world...............(although Mick has said the Stones are not playing the Olympics............

Re: Combining Concerts with Major Sports Events is Wrong
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 18, 2012 16:28

Chris Fountain
I was reading the "Some Kinda Stones Connection" thread and there was a post suggesting that the Stones and Faces will be playing at the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, respectively.

This crap is really getting old. I've had enough with the Superbowl Halftime b.s. and fallout. Now we have to have more of the same s... with the Olympics??

isn't there something in the constitution about separation of sport and music?

Date: February 18, 2012 16:33

StonesTod
Chris Fountain

isn't there something in the constitution about separation of sport and music?

smileys with beer That was great!!!! If not there should be!! Which candidate is running on this platform?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: February 18, 2012 16:34

Chris Fountain

Welcome to the world of entertainment.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:36

stonescrow
Chris Fountain

Nothing wrong with it at all. I take neither one that seriously. Just good fun.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:42

stonescrow
stonescrow
Chris Fountain

I'm on the other side of the fence. For example, my beloved Wolfpack (NC State) is coming off a referee induced loss to Duke Thursday night. We must beat Florida State today to ensure an NCAA tourney bid. The last thing on my mind is a rock show at haltime of this game.

You know what I mean?

Date: February 18, 2012 16:44

Chris Fountain
stonescrow
stonescrow
Chris Fountain

I'm on the other side of the fence. For example, my beloved Wolfpack (NC State) is coming off a referee induced loss to Duke Thursday night. We must beat Florida State today to ensure an NCAA tourney bid. The last thing on my mind is a rock show at haltime of this game.

You know what I mean?

and think of the folks there for the halftime show that have to endure the silliness of a bunch of jocks running up and down the court tossing a ball around before and after....just not fair.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:48

StonesTod - (No offense) That is exactly my point why we need a Constitutional Right of Separation of Concerts and Sporting Events!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 16:49 by Chris Fountain.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:53

Chris Fountain
stonescrow
stonescrow
Chris Fountain

You know what I mean?

What if the Stones were performing at halftime? Wouldn't you have the best of both worlds? It was that way for me at Super Bowl 40. Our Seattle Seahawks playing the Steelers and the Rolling Stones performing at halftime. I still have to pinch myself. I am rooting for the Stones and McCartney to do the Olympics. There will be hundreds of millions tuned in.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:54

StonesTod
Chris Fountain
stonescrow
stonescrow
Chris Fountain

You know what I mean?

and think of the folks there for the halftime show that have to endure the silliness of a bunch of jocks running up and down the court tossing a ball around before and after....just not fair.

Bring a book.

Date: February 18, 2012 16:58

Chris Fountain
StonesTod - (No offense)

i'm never the offended, only the offending

Date: February 18, 2012 17:01

Stonescrow (no offense) I don't think a rushed 12 minute halftime show qualifies as the best of both worlds. But glad you had the experience!

Date: February 18, 2012 17:13

Chris Fountain
Stonescrow (no offense) I don't think a rushed 12 minute halftime show qualifies as the best of both worlds. But glad you had the experience!

Not sure they played that long on the Ed Sullivan Show?

I respect your opinion on this. I just see it differently. To me the essence of the Rolling Stones is their great songs as performed live. If I had to choose between all of their CD's and all of their DVD's I would choose the DVD's hands down.

Date: February 18, 2012 17:25

stonescrow
Chris Fountain

I respect your opinion on this. I just see it differently. To me the essence of the Rolling Stones is their great songs as performed live. If I had to choose between all of their CD's and all of their DVD's I would choose the DVD's hands down.

This wasn't a question of "live or not". However, you bring up an interesting point. I would prefer seeing the Stones in an arena. I saw the Stones in Raleigh (SW,VL 1989, 1994) and in Charlotte (BtB 1998??). They were great stadium events. But nothing tops the 1975 Greensboro and 2002 Ft Lauderdale Arena Shows.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2012 18:36

Chris Fountain

Words of wisdom. I also love both things equally but mixing don't do good for either.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 18:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 18, 2012 19:09

Our local hockey team (Milwaukee Admirals) has classic rock & country bands put on free concerts after games (2 per season I think). Love it.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: February 18, 2012 19:16

sweet neo con
Our local hockey team (Milwaukee Admirals) has classic rock & country bands put on free concerts after games (2 per season I think). Love it.

Case in Point - it's after the game which is ok! This would not violate the Separartion of Concerts and Music Constitutional Amendment.

Date: February 18, 2012 20:58

sweet neo con

the local aaa nine here often have concerts after games. love that. but, i don't think the constitutional provision applies to aaa games.....

Date: February 19, 2012 04:31

Chris Fountain
stonescrow
Chris Fountain

This wasn't a question of "live or not". However, you bring up an interesting point. I would prefer seeing the Stones in an arena. I saw the Stones in Raleigh (SW,VL 1989, 1994) and in Charlotte (BtB 1998??). They were great stadium events. But nothing tops the 1975 Greensboro and 2002 Ft Lauderdale Arena Shows.

Sorry, sometimes my mind wanders to places it shouldn't go. Oh well, I love arena shows too. My favorite all time concert captured on DVD is the 2003 MSG concert that was televised live on HBO.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2012 12:13

Well, the sposts events do not no need extra entertainment. They do it all by themselves. Check these heavy-weighters from last night:

Klitshko's face expression is priceless...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 12:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 19, 2012 18:31

Chris Fountain, you are right.

I have to admit to detesting sport so I don't think it should be mixed with anything. It should be left well alone. Why it's considered so important is beyond me.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2012 18:43

I will disagree. Live music on TV is a rarity these days. How often do you get to see your favorite artist performing live on TV? And I like it when we get constellations of artists that we, under normal circumstances, never would see.

Date: February 19, 2012 18:55

Stoneage
I will disagree. Live music on TV is a rarity these days. How often do you get to see your favorite artist performing live on TV? And I like it when we get constellations of artists that we, under normal circumstances, never would see.

Stoneage - with the proliferation of Concert TV Channels such as Palladia, for example, live music is readily available

Date: February 19, 2012 19:00

You don't like hearing Start Me Up on TV?

Date: February 19, 2012 20:37

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

What NHL team plays it at the beginning of all their home games?

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 19, 2012 21:11

Maybe the Stones could do something along these lines:

Date: February 19, 2012 21:46

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No idea. Doesn't matter. NFL, NHL, etc.

Of course, baseball can't really use that kind of music - it would wake people up. And we all know Major League Boredom doesn't want that to happen.

Date: February 19, 2012 22:04

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No idea. Doesn't matter. NFL, NHL, etc.

Of course, baseball can't really use that kind of music - it would wake people up. And we all know Major League Boredom doesn't want that to happen.

I would like to see baseball games reduced to six innings. I might actually consider watching.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home