Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lock the Vaults and Throw Away the Keys
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:13

This thread is a response to the new thread entitled, What Would You Choose, a New Tour or Open the Vaults?

Having listened to the new tracks on Some Girls, and after having listened to a number of bootlegs on You Tube, I can only say this. What is this obsession with songs that were written ages ago and were possibly rejected a number of times as inferior and not suitable for inclusion on a CD. YouTube is the perfect place to stick these inferior songs, and they are free for listening as long one has access to a computer.

I want a new tour now and a new album with fresh new songs no one has heard. The Stones are not dead yet and may have ten years or more to come up with new songs.

If I hear the term, Open the Vaults,one more time I will scream bloody murder and run down the road in front of my house...butt naked!!!

Re: Lock the Vaults and Throw Away the Keys
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:17

Very simple: The "rejected" songs from 1978 and earlier are far better than the "new" songs since 1990.

Open the vaults.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:18

flilflam
This thread is a response to the new thread entitled, What Would You Choose, a New Tour or Open the Vaults?

Having listened to the new tracks on Some Girls, and after having listened to a number of bootlegs on You Tube, I can only say this. What is this obsession with songs that were written ages ago and were possibly rejected a number of times as inferior and not suitable for inclusion on a CD. YouTube is the perfect place to stick these inferior songs, and they are free for listening as long one has access to a computer.

I want a new tour now and a new album with fresh new songs no one has heard. The Stones are not dead yet and may have ten years or more to come up with new songs.

If I hear the term, Open the Vaults,one more time I will scream bloody murder and run down the road in front of my house...butt naked!!!

Open The Vaults

Now film it and put THAT on You Tube!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:21

flilflam
I want a new tour now and a new album with fresh new songs no one has heard.

You'll be surprised by just how stale they'll sound.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:22

I do want them to OPEN THE VAULTS. Great gems. Some are ok and some are bad.

And I don't want the Stones to tour this year. Just 3 gigs in London or something. Period! ;-)

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:29

flilflam

Pics or it didn't happen.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 2, 2012 02:53

Why not do both? Tour and OPEN THE VAULTS! Having said that, I fully expect a video of fliflam starkers on youtube...

Date: February 2, 2012 02:56

flilflam

You're right. But not compeltely. For example, the 'rejected' song Misty Roads (or The Way She Held Me Tight, whatever the hell else you want to call it) is, to me, far sueriour over a majority of what's been released since it was recorded, with exception to TATTOO YOU and UNDERCOVER (for which that track especially would not have fit anyway). Why is that? Because I think it's that good of a song - even the way it is on the boots. That's just me. But if it was finished, if it actually wasn't, it would still be condiserably better than a lot of what's been released since then.

It should've been on the recent SOME GIRLS reissue but noooooo, Mick had to put those awful boring blues songs and the Stones Do Calypso song instead. And he even put EMOTIONAL RESCUE recordings on. So obviously his ideas and tastes can't be trusted. You seem to be the extreme opposite of that - you prefer them to do more new stuff, which lately hasn't been worth a shit for the most part. That shows what you like. And good for you for liking it.

flilflam

You're right again...but not completely to boot. In one aspect you are 100% correct: they indeed MAY HAVE 10 years or more to come up with new songs. But in what universe do you see them automatically being "good" for the sake of being "fresh" and "unheard" yet alone actually getting recorded? See what I just wrote above? Read that again. I'm really hoping you truly understand what the term 'may have' implies.

flilflam

How many times for one more? Individually here it one more time or one more time each time? Will you go to jail if you get caught running down your street butt naked? That would be hilarious.

OPEN THE VAULTS.

Hey, look below this....

Look a little bit more....

OPEN THE VAULTS!

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:05

open the vaults and let them flow until all the vegas crap of the past 2+ decades is buried and forgotten, save whats left of the legacy plz.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:06

flilflam

Ten years, eh? Beacause they've put out so many in the last seven, right? we all have to face it, they're creatively bankrupt as a unit. Seven years... that's longer than many amazing bands last altogether. Hell, My band has been around since 2008 and we're dropiing our 3rd album - three years after their last.

They're done with new stuff as a band, just wait for the selected '50 Licks' shows like the rest of us who won't be able to afford to go.

Now don't get me wrong, if they put out anything fresh that's actually good I'll be the first to pop a bottle. But realistically I think deep down, no matter how much some of us try to wish it to happen, it's not gonna.

PS, I'm %100 FOR them releasing the live achives.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 03:07 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:06

I say open the vaults but at least make it something we dont already have like the HEAVILY booted HAMPTON 81

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:11

Open the vaults and throw away the key

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:22

yeah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 17:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 2, 2012 03:38

Gazza

Open The Vaults

Now film it and put THAT on You Tube!

Make sure Geraldo is there to crack the lock.

Date: February 2, 2012 03:56

melillo
I say open the vaults but at least make it something we dont already have like the HEAVILY booted HAMPTON 81

It's not the Stones' problem that you went ahead and obtained that recording elsewhere through the bootleg market. They don't owe us any apologies for releasing the Hampton recording. Besides, as far as I recall none of the bootlegs released were ever mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

Date: February 2, 2012 04:23

yeah your right it was only the first pay per view event of all time, it would be silly to think people already have itconfused smiley

Date: February 2, 2012 04:32

Justin
melillo

It's not the Stones' problem that you went ahead and obtained that recording elsewhere through the bootleg market. They don't owe us any apologies for releasing the Hampton recording. Besides, as far as I recall none of the bootlegs released were ever mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

by that logic why didnt they release the other hampton show like they released the other brussels show, its not the stones fault i already had the brussels boot right?

Date: February 2, 2012 04:42

Slick
open the vaults and let them flow until all the vegas crap of the past 2+ decades is buried and forgotten, save whats left of the legacy plz.

There is a Wise Man among us.

Date: February 2, 2012 05:51

melillo
Justin
melillo

by that logic why didnt they release the other hampton show like they released the other brussels show, its not the stones fault i already had the brussels boot right?

Well by this logic, why did they not just release the entire second Brussels show instead of excerpting a few songs from the first show like "Brown Sugar" and "Midnight Rambler?" They knew that a song like "Midnight Rambler" was a classic, well-loved performance which is why the switched it in.

Regarding Hampton: it's fair to assume that they chose the performance from the 18th because they were probably more satisfied with the performance from the 18th compared to the 19th. It's their right to choose the show that best represents the band...not necessarily choose a show that the fans haven't obtained through "alternative" methods.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2012 05:53

I don't quite get the reasoning of releasing Hampton as an audio product. All they had to do was sync up the new Bob Clearmountain mix to the masters of the pay per view special I assume they own, and voila, a DVD release. Unless......and here's where it gets cynical........they plan on doing that very thing down the road.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 2, 2012 06:00

24FPS
I don't quite get the reasoning of releasing Hampton as an audio product. All they had to do was sync up the new Bob Clearmountain mix to the masters of the pay per view special I assume they own, and voila, a DVD release. Unless......and here's where it gets cynical........they plan on doing that very thing down the road.
Cynical? why cynical... that would be A W E S O ME ! ! ! should have been done years ago.

Date: February 2, 2012 06:06

24FPS

Yup I know. I dunno what they have planned but at the moment, the vibe I'm getting is that the Stones aren't planning to release the PPV footage. Otherwise, they would've saved this Hampton show for that DVD release for whenever they were going to release it...either still as a download through StonesArchive or as a bonus CD to the DVD like they did with Ft. Worth.

Date: February 2, 2012 06:10

Please God, don't make the future four releases all be after Hamptom '81.

Date: February 2, 2012 06:17

Don't worry 71Tele, in about 2 months time we'll all be enjoying the glorious sounds of Werchter 2007!

Date: February 2, 2012 06:59

Justin
Don't worry 71Tele, in about 2 months time we'll all be enjoying the glorious sounds of Werchter 2007!

What the hell is going on here?

Date: February 2, 2012 08:02

I wish I knew.

Anybody still want that new tour??....of course they do.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 2, 2012 12:07

flilflam

Well sleep easy now as the vaults have been opened officially. You can expect to see more deluxe editions etc. New songs, well, as much as I would encourage them to release new songs, we have four men in their late 60s who may not be that motivated anymore. These archives are their pension pot for when they don't have any new product and stop touring.

I disagree that all unreleased tracks are inferior. Certainly on the Exile deluxe ed, there were a couple that could, imo, have made the final cut and its probably always a hard decision as to what to leave out. But obviously we end up hearing the toenail clippings as well the dull alt take stuff that probably should have stayed in the vault! There's certainly an opportunity to use digital downloads to perhaps release a compilation of unreleased material in the future.

But I don't see why they should provide anything for free. They don't owe me, you, anything at all. It's all about the business, the brand, yadda yadda yadda.

@24FPS - it's almost certainly cheaper to do an audio-only remix than pay someone to clean up the video as well (and assuming the Stones own/have access to the video master). It also wouldn't make financial sense to put a Hampton DVD in the shops so close to SG.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 15:36 by Father Ted.

Date: February 2, 2012 12:14

71Tele
Justin

What the hell is going on here?

LOL, Jagger looks so ridiculous here. Poor guy. I think Keith must have remained impassive on purpose. They all knew they were lost. including DJ.

Date: February 2, 2012 12:18

OPEN THE VAULTS!

Date: February 2, 2012 13:07

Let the airwaves flow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home