Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Ronnie Wood live in London Oct 19, 2010 show reports
Posted by: Rosalie ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:12

I wasn't able to make the shows so thanks to everyone for the reviews. I saw Ronnie at the O2 Bubble and thought then how much on form he was - and last night just goes to prove that it is continuing.
The vid clips were really good (any more) and really show how things were going down last night.
Personally, I love these intimate gigs - in many ways so much better than arenas and stadiums - so if any of the other boys feel like getting up and doing their thing in small venues (after all, Charlie and Ronnie have done it now) I will always try to be there to cheer them on, and have a great time myself.

Posted by: crazymama ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:34

Wow, Stay with me sounds really great! Ronnie on guitar, too.

Thanks for posting the wonderful pics!

Date: October 20, 2010 12:39

There will be several more pictures when Harm gets home, I was with paulywaul right by the stage for the second show and he should have some fantastic shots (using Harm's camera) as we were only a few feet from Ronnie and Bernard.

I am still reeling from how good last night was!!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:49

Ronnie and the band played fantastic last night!

It was really great meeting old friends again, especially Robert and Claudia from Austria! You guys rock!

/Jesper

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:51

Both shows were really good. Slightly higher energy level during the second one. Great to see so many familiar faces in the same room!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 20, 2010 13:14

you lucky people!!
i would be going with the train from Amsterdam.
i did not have a ticket by the way.
Still i would not have made the show because of a railway strike in Belgium.
Hope to catch Ronnie the next time.
the reviews sound great.
enjoy it !!
jeroen

Date: October 20, 2010 14:00

Review from the London Evening Standard -

We may have to start taking Ronnie Wood seriously
By John Aizlewood

It's strange. You wait longer for a Ronnie Wood show than even he can remember and then two come along in one evening "I'm playing two shows," explained the man whose fortune is estimated at £20 million, "so I can make a quid."

Introduced by Chris Noth, aka Sex In The City's Big, Wood looked relatively well. Yes his thighs remain unnaturally thin and certainly 63-year-old men should not be wearing vests, but he was no wreck and though he seemed startled to reach the end of each song without mishap, there was no serious danger of him toppling over.

Nor, beneath the cheeky chappie exterior, was he giving anything away. There was no mention of The Rolling Stones, of his addictions or of his departed wife, the fragrant Jo, save for a wry smile when some wag requested Josephine, his song for her.

Never one to over-burden himself, Wood left much of the singing to the splendid Stones backing vocalist Bernard Fowler. A band featuring Wood's bassist son Jesse, trotted amiably through most of his current album, I Feel Like Playing ("my first Top 20 album!" Wood noted with child-like delight; it actually reached 164, but who's counting?), plus a coda celebrating past glories: The Faces' Debris and Stay With Me; a Ray Charles cover, Night Time Is The Right Time and Jumping Jack Flash, the token nod to the Stones.

Of the promised special guests, Stereophonic Kelly Jones was halting on Debris, but the Stomp cast added fierce percussion, while Beverley Knight and Mica Paris soared on backing vocals.

There were pub-rock dips, but when it all came together on Forever and I Gotta See, a surprisingly sweet-natured evening was better than anyone dared hope.

If he carries on like this, we'll have to start taking him seriously.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2010 14:12

Sounds like a fun night. Whilst I still think I made the right decision to give it a miss at those prices (and the absence of any other Stones band members), I'm genuinely glad to hear everyone had a great time.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 20, 2010 14:31

My bad luck - I was in London last week and missed the gig. Glad all enjoyed it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 20, 2010 14:46

MartinB
I saw only the 2nd show, fantastic. I asked the sound guys how the two shows compared, and they said that the 2nd gig was by far the better one. Is there somebody here who saw both gigs? what do you think?

Yes, I saw both gigs (as did countless others) ... I'd fully agree. I think most folk who saw both would go with the 2nd show as the better of the two.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2010 14:49

Sounded like a fun night.

Which makes me think - how come it is that Ronnie seems always to shine better - be a better guitarist and over-all stronger musician - in his extra-curriculum activities, that is, outside The Rolling Stones? I think with Mick Taylor its is other way round: he is (was) magical within the Stones but a mediocre "just another" British blues guitarist outside of it.eye popping smiley

Just an observation. No morals.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 14:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 20, 2010 15:04

I agree 100% with Doxa
Maybe the magic of the RS made MT a brilliant and unique guitar player
Outside of RS, nothing, just a great blues player

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 15:44

wow,, now thats Rock and ROll,,

hope SIR HIGH HORSE MICK gets it,,

and BOOK WRITING KEITH , gets a sling around his neck

we know Charlie is always ready,

to all the RONNIE doubters , well he is leading the way now,, and has just proven he can and is ready to rock

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 20, 2010 15:57

Sounds like a great time was had by all..Thanx for reviews/pics/vids..

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:40

Thanks everyone for the pics and reports.

"Stay With Me" was rocking!

I like me some Rock n' Roll!

Go Ronnie go!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:42

im sorry i wasnt there.. hope you had fun smiling smiley i had fun too.. i went to heather nova in middelburg for less than 35 euro! 2nd row smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:53

Do you know if the concerts were recorded in professional video? Maybe an official dvd soon? Or a live cd? Or good bootlegs? :-)

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: October 20, 2010 17:16

carlostones10, I did not seen any professional filming going on. Quite a few people were recording bits on their cameras/phones as the clips above prove. I have no idea if either show was recorded officially. I think there would be little point from RW's point of view due to the amount of IFLP material performed. The first show was definitely recorded unofficially.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 17:18 by Bol.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 20, 2010 17:25

Wow, looks really nice!!!! I really hope for a tour with this smiling smiley

Date: October 20, 2010 17:31

Gazza
Sounds like a fun night. Whilst I still think I made the right decision to give it a miss at those prices (and the absence of any other Stones band members), I'm genuinely glad to hear everyone had a great time.

Personally, I think you should have bitten the bullet and attended. what you'd have witnessed (as a Stones fan) would have truly warmed your heart; their current lead guitarist exhibiting range and depth of performance that we ALL have hitherto been oblivious to ... only because in his guise AS that Stones guitarist, he simply isn't given licence to exhibit and treat us to.

Whilst I too balked at the prices, upon reflection ... I consider that he DID genuinely deliver something unique and quite awe inspiring last night, and so I would say that you probably would have actually been happy with your decision TO PAY that ticket price, HAD you attended. Both shows were a delight. And the venue was superb, small, cosy, intimate - he definitely got that 100 percent right.

There ya go, my two cents worth at any rate ...........

Whatever you do Gaz, DO NOT - absolutely DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT - miss the Faces, if Ronnie gets THAT particular show back up and on the road, once Hucknall is done with his outstanding Simply Red committments. THAT is something you absolutely cannot afford to miss.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:03

paulywaul
...once Hucknall is done with his outstanding Simply Red...

Hi P.W.,

Fan of both The 'Red and The Faces, then?

Only pulling yer chain...wonder what Faces action 2011 will see?

Cheers,

Si.

Date: October 20, 2010 18:11

After last night's performance(s), I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie 'feels like playing' again before the end of the year - and I don't just mean as a guest at the Stephen Dale Petit gig at the 100 Club.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:22

I feel like touring Europe (please, come to Spain..........)

Date: October 20, 2010 18:22

SimonN
paulywaul
...once Hucknall is done with his outstanding Simply Red...

Hi P.W.,

Fan of both The 'Red and The Faces, then?

Only pulling yer chain...wonder what Faces action 2011 will see?

Cheers,

Si.

<<< Fan of both The 'Red and The Faces, then ? >>>

Er yes, point taken. Upon reflection perhaps I should have said "once Hucknall is done with his REMAINING Simply Red committments".

I really shouldn't have used the word "outstanding" ......... !!!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:24

Thanks to all who attended for the info, pics, clips, etc...

Just want to clarify something...he played the EXACT same setlist on both shows?! That kinda sucks. Why bother playing two on the same night if they are "carbon copies" smiling smiley

Posted by: praline ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:25

For JJF on the 2nd show, just before the band came back on stage, a camera guy popped up and remaines hidden on a left corner.

Date: October 20, 2010 18:28

Manofwealthandtaste
After last night's performance(s), I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie 'feels like playing' again before the end of the year - and I don't just mean as a guest at the Stephen Dale Petit gig at the 100 Club.

One can hope. I agree though, he sure DOES feel like playing. Christ, what a bundle of energy !! I swear to god, someone must've laced those cans of Coke he was guzzling with speed or something, he was jumpin' around like a 16 year old. F f f f f f f f firkin fantastic !! I'm still buzzing, those shows last night were special. Could've done without the STOMP duets myself, but apart from that ... absolutely bloody great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-21 10:29 by paulywaul.

Date: October 20, 2010 18:40

Who in their right mind would travel out of the country to see that!

Date: October 20, 2010 18:44

Who's Driving Your Plane?
Who in their right mind would travel out of the country to see that!

To see what ?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 20, 2010 18:47

Well, I'd loved to see it!!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home