Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Claudine
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 9, 2012 16:38

Apologies if this was covered before. Why was Claudine not officially released before? what where the problems?

Re: Claudine
Date: January 9, 2012 16:39

Because it's a extremely boring song.

Date: January 9, 2012 16:40

Claudine Longet got convicted for misdemeanor negligent homicide in connection with the death of her boyfriend, former Olympic skier "Spider" Sabich.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 9, 2012 16:41

MartinB
Apologies if this was covered before. Why was Claudine not officially released before? what where the problems?

In my opinion because it is a rather mediocre song, an real outtake, the weakest of the new "Some Girls". Even better is the long original version with some interesting RW-licks which are completely absent on the released version in '11.

Date: January 9, 2012 16:41

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

For the extremely depressed, yes thumbs up

IMO, it has an incredible groove, and is one of the better authentic rock'n'roll tunes by the Stones.

Date: January 9, 2012 16:46

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

IMO, it has an incredible groove, and is one of the better authentic rock'n'roll tunes by the Stones.

Well, good for you. I find it to be incredibly boring. It doesn't do anything.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:06

RobertJohnson
MartinB

In my opinion because it is a rather mediocre song, an real outtake, the weakest of the new "Some Girls". Even better is the long original version with some interesting RW-licks which are completely absent on the released version in '11.

I find Claudine to be a mediocre song, as well - and especially when compared to the other songs of the Some Girls album, and the best "outtakes" from those days. But still.....it's not directly bad either; and it has a style/rythm which is quite unique in the Rolling Stones catalogue. So not a total waste - like some other "trying to sound like Rolling Stones songs"-songs, like Rough Justice, Let Me Go, Sad Sad Sad, etc.
The longe/slower version is quite more interesting, I agree

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:09

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

You're right.
A really cool little ratta tat.

I love the song

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:10

RobertJohnson
MartinB

yeah, i like the elongated bluesy version better, too. this one sorta just sits there. but as outtakes go, it's incredibly average.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:11

Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

I find Claudine to be a mediocre song, as well - and especially when compared to the other songs of the Some Girls album, and the best "outtakes" from those days. But still.....it's not directly bad either; and it has a style/rythm which is quite unique in the Rolling Stones catalogue. So not a total waste - like some other "trying to sound like Rolling Stones songs"-songs, like Rough Justice, Let Me Go, Sad Sad Sad, etc.

hey - you leave Let Me Go out of this!

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:11

I like the song, but it doesn't fit with Some Girls, that may be why left off the album.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Date: January 9, 2012 17:15

saturn57
I like the song, but it doesn't fit with Some Girls, that may be why left off the album.

or the fact that it wasn't recorded during the some girls sessions...possible reason.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:15

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

It's tough company for Let Me Go, being mentioned together with those other 2, yes I know. But considering how great RS were in 1979-1980, and also considering how great most of Emotional Rescue is, I think Let Me Go can take it. It's the weakest track on ER for me; after Indian Girl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 17:19 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:19

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

It's tough company for Let Me Go, being mentioned together with those other 2, yes I know. But considering how great RS were in 1979-1980, and also considering how great most of Emotional Rescue is, I think Let Me Go can take it

but, here's the acid-test for songs that are "trying to sound like the Rolling Stones," erik: name one other song prior to LMG that it reminds you of. i can't. so, ergo, it's not trying to sound like them...your turn.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:26

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

It's tough company for Let Me Go, being mentioned together with those other 2, yes I know. But considering how great RS were in 1979-1980, and also considering how great most of Emotional Rescue is, I think Let Me Go can take it

but, here's the acid-test for songs that are "trying to sound like the Rolling Stones," erik: name one other song prior to LMG that it reminds you of. i can't. so, ergo, it's not trying to sound like them...your turn.

You do have a point there, that LMG is not a "clone" of a previous RS song. I'll just give you that point. But it has something to do with the mood they're creating - and the chord sequenzes, and the lyrics which are besically saying nothing, without being original or being good in any other ways. To me, it's the weakest track on ER, after Indian Girl. I don't hate it or anything like that....it's just that I could easily do without it; and sometimes skip it - unlike most RS tracks from 1968-1983.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:27

saturn57

No, it was because they would be sued if they released it.....if they even get chance to release it, in the first place

Date: January 9, 2012 17:32

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

You do have a point there, that LMG is not a "clone" of a previous RS song. I'll just give you that point. But it has something to do with the mood they're creating - and the chord sequenzes, and the lyrics which are besically saying nothing, without being original or being good in any other ways. To me, it's the weakest track on ER, after Indian Girl. I don't hate it or anything like that....it's just that I could easily do without it; and sometimes skip it - unlike most RS tracks from 1968-1983.

i love the tune...it's taut and tight...charlie's on the money and keef delivers one of his crispier solos...also like how the handled it on the tattoo you tour...although it seems that all of their rockers, no matter how arranged in the studio, turn out to be chuck berry rave-ups on stage....they simply can't help it...or something.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:44

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

i love the tune...it's taut and tight...charlie's on the money and keef delivers one of his crispier solos...also like how the handled it on the tattoo you tour...although it seems that all of their rockers, no matter how arranged in the studio, turn out to be chuck berry rave-ups on stage....they simply can't help it...or something.

Maybe you look at Let Me Go the same way I look at Love You Too Much and Tallahassee Lassie....even before the official release. Then I understand....reminds me of the innocent old bootleg title; "remember what kind of R&R made your feet loose control". Let Me Go just never did it for me - unlike most of ER.

Date: January 9, 2012 18:07

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

Maybe you look at Let Me Go the same way I look at Love You Too Much and Tallahassee Lassie....even before the official release. Then I understand....reminds me of the innocent old bootleg title; "remember what kind of R&R made your feet loose control". Let Me Go just never did it for me - unlike most of ER.

sigh. sometimes i don't even know you.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:10

It was left off 'Emotional Rescue' for legal reasons., not 'Some Girls'. Even though it was recorded during the 'Some Girls' sessions.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:51

Many thanks to all. I like the song.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:55

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

Erik does say some very hurtful things doesn't he...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2012 18:59

This is a great song...the lyrics are hilarious. It's not my fave off the new songs, but there is stiff competition.

Date: January 9, 2012 19:11

treaclefingers
This is a great song....

needs a bridge or something to break it up...the slow, bluesy version had the makings of a bridge and coulda been a contender for greatness...

Date: January 9, 2012 19:11

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

yeah, but it's the cold, norwegian winter talking, i think.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2012 19:20

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

reminds me of the arctic zone.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 9, 2012 19:21

treaclefingers
This is a great song...the lyrics are hilarious.

and the delivery is priceless, and that mighty mighty fine rockabilly playing
adds an additional six layers of comicality - it's a great little outtake

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 9, 2012 19:28

with sssoul
treaclefingers
This is a great song...the lyrics are hilarious.

and the delivery is priceless, and that mighty mighty fine rockabilly playing
adds an additional six layers of comicality - it's a great little outtake

i love the Rolling Stones

Quite so !

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 9, 2012 20:02

The long version would have been a perfect track for Emotional Rescue..

Date: January 9, 2012 20:37

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB

Another point for you, Tod. Let Me Go is too much of an empty minded summer rock'n roller for me. While for instance Tallahassee Lassie reminds me of fur-coats and dog-sleds for some strange reason

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home