Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Claudine
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:17

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB
Apologies if this was covered before. Why was Claudine not officially released before? what where the problems?

In my opinion because it is a rather mediocre song, an real outtake, the weakest of the new "Some Girls". Even better is the long original version with some interesting RW-licks which are completely absent on the released version in '11.

I find Claudine to be a mediocre song, as well - and especially when compared to the other songs of the Some Girls album, and the best "outtakes" from those days. But still.....it's not directly bad either; and it has a style/rythm which is quite unique in the Rolling Stones catalogue. So not a total waste - like some other "trying to sound like Rolling Stones songs"-songs, like Rough Justice, Let Me Go, Sad Sad Sad, etc.
The longe/slower version is quite more interesting, I agree

hey - you leave Let Me Go out of this!

It's tough company for Let Me Go, being mentioned together with those other 2, yes I know. But considering how great RS were in 1979-1980, and also considering how great most of Emotional Rescue is, I think Let Me Go can take it

but, here's the acid-test for songs that are "trying to sound like the Rolling Stones," erik: name one other song prior to LMG that it reminds you of. i can't. so, ergo, it's not trying to sound like them...your turn.

You do have a point there, that LMG is not a "clone" of a previous RS song. I'll just give you that point. But it has something to do with the mood they're creating - and the chord sequenzes, and the lyrics which are besically saying nothing, without being original or being good in any other ways. To me, it's the weakest track on ER, after Indian Girl. I don't hate it or anything like that....it's just that I could easily do without it; and sometimes skip it - unlike most RS tracks from 1968-1983.

i love the tune...it's taut and tight...charlie's on the money and keef delivers one of his crispier solos...also like how the handled it on the tattoo you tour...although it seems that all of their rockers, no matter how arranged in the studio, turn out to be chuck berry rave-ups on stage....they simply can't help it...or something.

Maybe you look at Let Me Go the same way I look at Love You Too Much and Tallahassee Lassie....even before the official release. Then I understand....reminds me of the innocent old bootleg title; "remember what kind of R&R made your feet loose control". Let Me Go just never did it for me - unlike most of ER.

sigh. sometimes i don't even know you.

Erik does say some very hurtful things doesn't he...

yeah, but it's the cold, norwegian winter talking, i think.

Another point for you, Tod. Let Me Go is too much of an empty minded summer rock'n roller for me. While for instance Tallahassee Lassie reminds me of fur-coats and dog-sleds for some strange reason

lassie was collie...i don't think they're good sled-dogs...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:36

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
RobertJohnson
MartinB
Apologies if this was covered before. Why was Claudine not officially released before? what where the problems?

In my opinion because it is a rather mediocre song, an real outtake, the weakest of the new "Some Girls". Even better is the long original version with some interesting RW-licks which are completely absent on the released version in '11.

I find Claudine to be a mediocre song, as well - and especially when compared to the other songs of the Some Girls album, and the best "outtakes" from those days. But still.....it's not directly bad either; and it has a style/rythm which is quite unique in the Rolling Stones catalogue. So not a total waste - like some other "trying to sound like Rolling Stones songs"-songs, like Rough Justice, Let Me Go, Sad Sad Sad, etc.
The longe/slower version is quite more interesting, I agree

hey - you leave Let Me Go out of this!

It's tough company for Let Me Go, being mentioned together with those other 2, yes I know. But considering how great RS were in 1979-1980, and also considering how great most of Emotional Rescue is, I think Let Me Go can take it

but, here's the acid-test for songs that are "trying to sound like the Rolling Stones," erik: name one other song prior to LMG that it reminds you of. i can't. so, ergo, it's not trying to sound like them...your turn.

You do have a point there, that LMG is not a "clone" of a previous RS song. I'll just give you that point. But it has something to do with the mood they're creating - and the chord sequenzes, and the lyrics which are besically saying nothing, without being original or being good in any other ways. To me, it's the weakest track on ER, after Indian Girl. I don't hate it or anything like that....it's just that I could easily do without it; and sometimes skip it - unlike most RS tracks from 1968-1983.

i love the tune...it's taut and tight...charlie's on the money and keef delivers one of his crispier solos...also like how the handled it on the tattoo you tour...although it seems that all of their rockers, no matter how arranged in the studio, turn out to be chuck berry rave-ups on stage....they simply can't help it...or something.

Maybe you look at Let Me Go the same way I look at Love You Too Much and Tallahassee Lassie....even before the official release. Then I understand....reminds me of the innocent old bootleg title; "remember what kind of R&R made your feet loose control". Let Me Go just never did it for me - unlike most of ER.

sigh. sometimes i don't even know you.

Erik does say some very hurtful things doesn't he...

yeah, but it's the cold, norwegian winter talking, i think.

Another point for you, Tod. Let Me Go is too much of an empty minded summer rock'n roller for me. While for instance Tallahassee Lassie reminds me of fur-coats and dog-sleds for some strange reason

lassie was collie...i don't think they're good sled-dogs...

Really? Thanks for the info. I never rode them things myself, I just see them lazy old geezers riding by me at times. If they can't walk by themselves, they got nothing to do up on the mountains, I think

Date: January 9, 2012 21:37

Ooops, now we're getting quite far away from the "Rolling Stones topic" I think

Date: January 9, 2012 21:42

no...you got back OT with the lazy old geezer remark....

Date: January 9, 2012 21:48

You're thinking about the perfect holiday, Tod ? I can fix you up with the sligh! But you got to bring dogs and whisky yourself

Date: January 9, 2012 21:53

Erik_Snow
You're thinking about the perfect holiday, Tod ? I can fix you up with the sligh! But you got to bring dogs and whisky yourself

but everyday is like the perfect holiday here already. central texas is the hub for all that's worth living.

Date: January 9, 2012 22:02

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

but everyday is like the perfect holiday here already. central texas is the hub for all that's worth living.

Okey, if you say so, T&A......
But you're saying that as you're still a virgin concerning some experiences, which you can't have in Texas or 95% of the world. And some real precious experiences (nature wise, and mood wise)
Then again......I'd love a vacation in Texas, that's for sure. Bars, nice cars, Texan chicks....what's not to like? As long as I don't run into sweedcharmedlife

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 22:23 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 9, 2012 22:05

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

But you're saying that as you're still a virgin concerning some experiences, which you can't have in Texas or 95% of the world. And some real precious experiences (nature wise, and mood wise)
Then again......I'd love a vacation in Texas, that's for sure. Bars, nice care, american cars....what's not to like? As long as I don't run into sweedcharmedlife

now, be nice. we only allow the nice folk here in texas. so, really no chance of that happening....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 9, 2012 22:25

It sorta feels like Norway around Texas.
Thats sorta like being there

Date: January 9, 2012 22:25

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

Then again......I'd love a vacation in Texas, that's for sure. Bars, nice care, american cars....what's not to like? As long as I don't run into sweedcharmedlife

now, be nice. we only allow the nice folk here in texas. so, really no chance of that happening....

CharmedLife is not allowed, IOW ? Doesn't bother me!

Please note spelling error, "chicks" turned into "cars".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 9, 2012 22:29

DandelionPowderman

IMO, it has an incredible groove, and is one of the better authentic rock'n'roll tunes by the Stones.

For years I have loved the version that is on the old "Accidents Will Happen" vinyl studio outtakes album.
I find it amazingly catchy in a manner that equals some of their early 60s material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 22:32 by Witness.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 9, 2012 23:27

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

Then again......I'd love a vacation in Texas, that's for sure. Bars, nice cars, Texan chicks....what's not to like? As long as I don't run into sweedcharmedlife

Yeah, Erik. There are 3-4 of us, at least, that could show you around. I don't know any girls, though. Maybe Tod or Munich can fix you up on that -- or maybe you'd be better off without the help...

Oh, and I like Claudine and think it would've fit on ER, at least as well as Let Me Go. Not that I have anything against LMG -- like Claudine, it's funny and has a fairly cool guitar groove. Probably both are as good as Summer Romance, but maybe that's going too far...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 23:33 by texas fan.

Date: January 9, 2012 23:30

texas fan
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

Yeah, Erik. There are 3-4 of us, at least, that could show you around. I don't know any girls, though. Maybe Tod or Munich can fix you up on that -- or maybe you'd be better off without the help...

Wish I could. All the girls I hang out with want me to give them their allowance.
I can buy Erik a keystone light or two. Maybe three.

Date: January 9, 2012 23:44

erik's a whisky drinker...i'll introduce him to texas' newest whisky: Rebecca Creek...from right here in Hill Country.

Date: January 9, 2012 23:49

StonesTod
erik's a whisky drinker...i'll introduce him to texas' newest whisky: Rebecca Creek...from right here in Hill Country.

Cool
Pressures off. That was gonna be an expensive night. Thanks Tod

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 10, 2012 04:33

I love it, been playing all those outakes in my car for the past month even more than the origional album. something new to listen to from the Stones is always good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:13

Spud
with sssoul
treaclefingers
This is a great song...the lyrics are hilarious.

and the delivery is priceless, and that mighty mighty fine rockabilly playing
adds an additional six layers of comicality - it's a great little outtake

i love the Rolling Stones

Quite so !

I have this on my MP3 player (yes, so 2005 of me) and I'm listening to it while working out....that and Brussels....both fantastic to work out to!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:35

I never liked this song at all. I think no spare parts is best on 2nd disc.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 11, 2012 23:10

Erik, if ya make a run thru Tx make sure and email me!!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 12, 2012 01:07

Fantastic little song. I love it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home