Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why doesn't Ron Wood get to show off his real talent?
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 30, 2011 18:16

Ronnie plays a mean slide guitar. With the Faces, this was present in almost every song, but as far as I know he hasn't made a single contribution of this kind of playing with the Stones. Why? The Faces and The Stones are very similiar to each other music wise, why doesn't Ronnie get to play like this? It's like he was a different guitarist with the Faces. He works great weaving with Keith but there's really no stand-out performance of his skills as a guitarist.
I mean, listen to this!

Re: Why doesn't Ron Wood get to show off his real talent?
Date: December 30, 2011 19:17

He did on LYL.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:28

He's credited with playing slide guitar on every Stones album except Tattoo You, Dirty Work, and Steel Wheels. On ABB he's just credited as "Guitars", and I can't remember if there is any slide on it or not. But he has played quite a bit of slide with the Stones. Maybe not AS much, but he does play slide.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:47

Yeah. A guy like Ronnie really needs to have his own band. There can be only one dominant rhythm in the Stones, and, it has to be KR, of course. But, Ronnie is the best, so naturally he ended up in the best band. The Stones, and the world of bands, are like that. If you are the best player on Earth, you are in the Stones.

Posted by: Errol ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:10

You must be joking when you say he was the best guitarist in the world when he joined the stones. He wasn't even the best guitarist at the black' n blue sessions that was Wayne Perkins.the stones have with a few exceptionsbeen a n oldies act since he joined. They have not grown musically since exile.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:22

Mick has grown musically, playing more guitar, piano and harp but the rest of them have stayed the same if not gotten worse....Ronnie does play a mean slide..." for example Gasoline Alley, and a great Mandolin like in Maggie May and Mandolin Wind. He shouldn't stand behind Keith musically. It's his own choice I guess.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:58

I think you will find that keith in his private world plays a lot of variety and has developed as a player, I know he learnt to play a little flamenco and listens to flamenco playoing quite a bit. It's tru to say publically he may not show may other developments but that's because he plays what people want to see...suspended riffs in open tunings, that's what people think when they think Keith Richards. He's actually quite a good finger picker...or was at one time. And don't forget his flirtation with reggae - all developments and bits of it did filter through into the Stones stuff

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:03

For me Ron has repeatedly shown his talents, either as a songwriter,as a musical partner of others, as a solo musician and as a painter. For example in his last solo effort "I feel like playing" he covers all the bases of his talents and yet he doesn't come off as an ego-oriented musician. When I listen to " I gotta go" I definitely can hear Ron's talents right there. No flash needed. Ron rocks!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:20

Because he always must be in the shadow of Mr. Richards
And if he played as he did in the Faces it would sound like the Faces

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:29

his best talent was with the faces!imo

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:35

mickschix
Mick has grown musically, playing more guitar, piano and harp but the rest of them have stayed the same if not gotten worse....Ronnie does play a mean slide..." for example Gasoline Alley, and a great Mandolin like in Maggie May and Mandolin Wind. He shouldn't stand behind Keith musically. It's his own choice I guess.

Did Ron play mandolin on either of those tracks?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2011 22:44

Braincapers
mickschix

Nope. Ray Jackson plays mandolin on Rod's 'Every Picture Tells a Story' album.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:03

Ronnie Wood never belonged to the world's greatest guitarists. He used to play sharp and rather sexy until Stripped, after that his lifestyle became a problem. Talent needs to be worked out. It is not enough to be talented at twenty and to rely on talent for ages. He seemed to be a charming guy for quite a long time. In his recent interview with CW he seems to get on Watts' nerves at times, and he gives quite a stupid impression. Loud, cheap and vulgar.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:05

Gazza
Braincapers
mickschix

Nope. Ray Jackson plays mandolin on Rod's 'Every Picture Tells a Story' album.

Never sure whether it was him or martin Quittenton.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:27

...... you mean something like Ronnie knockin' out a painting on stage during the band intros....Heh Heh

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:58

Which is what, exactly?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:02

Ronnie has proven to be a very optimistic guitarist, among other things ...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 31, 2011 00:06

Seriously though, he had a very nice career with Faces and Rod's solo material. Thirty-six odd years with the Stones, and innumerable (though I would say mostly forgettable) solo albums, as well as an "art" career. Whatever one thinks of Ron Wood's talents, I don't think it can be argued that he hasn't had the opportunity to show them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 01:29 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:18

My simple guess is that he is repressed by Keith. I don't think Keith allows anybody to outshine him. After all it's his band as so many points out. Maybe this repression has led to Ron's problems with drugs and his somewhat demeaning clowning about on stage? Just speculating...

Date: December 31, 2011 00:51

Stoneage
My simple guess is that he is repressed by Keith. I don't think Keith allows anybody to outshine him. After all it's his band as so many points out. Maybe this repression has led to Ron's problems with drugs and his somewhat demeaning clowning about on stage? Just speculating...
I believe that Ron is a lot smarter than we think he is. He goofs around and shit but he knows who he is in a group situation. Most musicians would think that after all that time with the Rolling Stones they could step up and argue with the two others; not Ron, smart boy. He came in the band too late to play that game and he knows it.
Rock and Roll,
mops

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:57

because mick n keith a to insecure

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:22

71Tele
Seriously though, he had a very nice career with Small Faces and then Faces.

Ronnie was never in the Small Faces.

Date: December 31, 2011 01:28

Gazza
71Tele
Seriously though, he had a very nice career with Small Faces and then Faces.

Ronnie was never in the Small Faces.

Correct. I will edit.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:38

rollmops
I believe that Ron is a lot smarter than we think he is. He goofs around and shit but he knows who he is in a group situation. Most musicians would think that after all that time with the Rolling Stones they could step up and argue with the two others; not Ron, smart boy. He came in the band too late to play that game and he knows it.
thumbs up

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:45

DiscoVolante
Ronnie plays a mean slide guitar. With the Faces, this was present in almost every song, but as far as I know he hasn't made a single contribution of this kind of playing with the Stones. Why? The Faces and The Stones are very similiar to each other music wise, why doesn't Ronnie get to play like this? It's like he was a different guitarist with the Faces. He works great weaving with Keith but there's really no stand-out performance of his skills as a guitarist.
I mean, listen to this!

I guess part of the problem is that Ron was the sole guitarist in The Faces. In the Stones, he has to play second fiddle even though he does get to play solos. The other part of the problem is that he's let his problems with addictions get out of hand at times. Regardless, I've seen some videos of him playing in rehearsals with the no-Rod Faces and he was playing great in those clips. I hope he can stay fairly sober should the Stones hit the road again.

Date: December 31, 2011 01:49

Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
thumbs up

I certainly agree that he at some point figured out the political dynamics in the band, and realized he was in a no-win situation in many ways. No one can fault him for that. Though I am not sure how smart someone is who has to go through seven rehabs. To watch someone I used to really respect (well, 30 years ago) waste his talent or his potential is painful.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:00

Hey Gazza, didn't I see a video of Ron w/ Rod doing Maggie May where he plays the mandolin? Was it those nasty mushrooms or did I really see it? I think I did...

Date: December 31, 2011 02:10

I just looked up the video I was thinking of and I got a real surprise...the " mandolin" is not a mandolin but a BANJO and it's played by Rod Stewart. They're both seated and Ron is accompanying Rod on 6 string acoustic guitar. Now maybe there are other versions and probably on the original recording, it's a mandolin. I didn't know Rod played any instruments! Live and learn!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 31, 2011 02:10

a sober RW is a good thing. his moment to shine will be on the next tour.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:12

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
rollmops
thumbs up

I certainly agree that he at some point figured out the political dynamics in the band, and realized he was in a no-win situation in many ways. No one can fault him for that. Though I am not sure how smart someone is who has to go through seven rehabs. To watch someone I used to really respect (well, 30 years ago) waste his talent or his potential is painful.
I see what you mean but one can be smart and @#$%& up at the same time. Ron is a survivor and in that Rock and Roll business it gotta mean something. Nowadays he seems fine, doing what he likes to do; playing his music, connecting with his family, drinking coffee and banging young and good looking chicks. Not too bad.
Rock and Roll,
mops

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home