Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OMG - Hate It When You Leave was a Paris 77 Outtake
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 6, 2012 01:49

The experts may know more but here you go...If I was a sleep at the wheel on a prior post...I haven't been on this board in a bit...sorry.

I got the Some Girls Reissue and I remembered years ago I bought a bootleg cassette of some unreleased stuff from the Some Girls sessions from some dude near Union Square in NYC.

After listening to the just released reissue for a couple of weeks, I remembered about this cassette and I listened to it today.

Low and behold, there is a track on the cassette named of all things "Nanker Pheldge" (probably because it has no words)...and it is basically the music for the X-Pensive Winos "Hate It When You Leave" which is my Top 3 Wino's songs after "You Don't Move Me" and "Make No Mistake".

Does anybody know more about this?

Why did Keith not credit Mick on Main Offender when Mick credited Keith on "She's The Boss" for "Lonely At The Top"?

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 01:54 by Pecman.

Re: OMG - Hate It When You Leave was a Paris 77 Outtake
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 6, 2012 02:04

Maybe Mick didn't write anything. If it's an outtake from the Some Girls sessions, and there are no lyrics, it's quite possible that Mick may have never even been in the same room as that song. If Mick didn't have any hand in writing it, and it's not on a Stones record, then it's not Jagger/Richards. I guess we can assume Lonely At The Top was written by them both, or that Keith at least had some input prior to Mick using it on his solo album.

Date: January 6, 2012 02:11

Just a note...the chord progression is the same...but the beat is different...the beat doesn't have that Memphis Soul.

PECMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2012 02:12

Pecman
The experts may know more but here you go...If I was a sleep at the wheel on a prior post...I haven't been on this board in a bit...sorry.

I got the Some Girls Reissue and I remembered years ago I bought a bootleg cassette of some unreleased stuff from the Some Girls sessions from some dude near Union Square in NYC.

After listening to the just released reissue for a couple of weeks, I remembered about this cassette and I listened to it today.

Low and behold, there is a track on the cassette named of all things "Nanker Pheldge" (probably because it has no words)...and it is basically the music for the X-Pensive Winos "Hate It When You Leave" which is my Top 3 Wino's songs after "You Don't Move Me" and "Make No Mistake".

Why did Keith not credit Mick on Main Offender when Mick credited Keith on "She's The Boss" for "Lonely At The Top"?

PECMAN

Mick's 'Sweet Thing' and 'Hang on to me tonight' were worked on during the Steel Wheels sessions and he didn't credit Keith when they were eventually issued on solo records.

The probable reason was because the song was in all likelihood almost entirely rewritten and rearranged. Probably the same with the song you refer to for the reasons No Code mentions above.

If anyone should be co-credited for 'Hate it when you leave' it should be William Weatherspoon, Paul Riser, and James Dean, as they wrote Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of The Brokenhearted" in 1966.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 02:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 6, 2012 02:33

Sweet Thing and Hang On To Me Tonight were worked on during the Steel Wheels sessions? Very interesting! Did not know that. Would love to hear a Stones take on those songs.

Date: January 6, 2012 02:38

None circulate, unfortunately, I'd imagine they were pretty basic demos.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2012 04:00

You should upload it within this thread Pecman so the many experts here can dissect it.

Don't give me that old "sorry no way to transfer a cassette"...

Whaddya say?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2012 05:22

Munichhilton
You should upload it within this thread Pecman so the many experts here can dissect it.

Isn't "Nanker Pheldge" a fairly common bootleg track? I will have to double check but I think it is on the Accidents Will Happen bootleg.

Date: January 6, 2012 05:36

It is. It's the song thats more commonly known as 'A Different Kind' as far as I recall.

It does have lyrics, though, albeit pretty embryonic ones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2012 05:47

Gazza
It is. It's the song thats more commonly known as 'A Different Kind' as far as I recall.

Yes, that's it, thanks.

Date: January 6, 2012 09:03

Nanker Pheldge is a title given to a Stones track that was written by The Stones but not entirely a Jagger/Richard credit...I think the bootleg in circulation that I got put that on there because without lyrics...he couldn't give it a title.

For instance...on this old cassette I have...there is a song called "I Need A Yellow Cab"...which turns out to be "Do You Reaaly Think I Care" on the reissue.

Gazza...100% on the money...that's the song I was thinking of when I heard it...

PECMAN

Date: January 6, 2012 10:23

Gazza

In fairness, only two chords are the same. After those chords the song is totally different on each round in the chord progression.

But of course, he could have been inspired by hearing those two chords, and decided to make a different song out of it...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2012 11:05

Gazza

Fantastic song (why oh why didn't they release this as is on the reissue...), but I don't hear any resemblence to HIWYL.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2012 11:06

Mathijs
Gazza

Fantastic song (why oh why didn't they release this as is on the reissue...), but I don't hear any resemblence to HIWYL.

Mathijs

The two first chords

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 6, 2012 14:46

Yeah, Mr Mel Belli over at the RocksOff forum mentioned the Different Kind similarity right before Christmas in one of his nice RiffCousins vids:

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 6, 2012 16:03

Here's the finished article for comparison - I'm not much good at chords but the A-minor bit (as described in the previous video) is exactly the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 16:07 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2012 16:23

I am sure any relation between A Different Kind and HIWYL is purely unintentional. Btw, ADK is in the key of E, not F.

Mathijs

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2012 16:41

Gazza
It's the song thats more commonly known as 'A Different Kind' as far as I recall.

Oh that one.
I don't hear the relation Pecman?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 6, 2012 16:42

Gazza
Pecman

PECMAN

Mick's 'Sweet Thing' and 'Hang on to me tonight' were worked on during the Steel Wheels sessions and he didn't credit Keith when they were eventually issued on solo records.

The probable reason was because the song was in all likelihood almost entirely rewritten and rearranged. Probably the same with the song you refer to for the reasons No Code mentions above.

If anyone should be co-credited for 'Hate it when you leave' it should be William Weatherspoon, Paul Riser, and James Dean, as they wrote Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of The Brokenhearted" in 1966.

Exactly! And that's why I always had a problem with this Keith tune . .

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 6, 2012 18:35

Always thought the Trident Demos"Leather Jacket: and "Moon Is Up" sounded kinda familiar..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home