Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Writing credita in the Stones
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: January 4, 2012 16:27

There´s a lot of talk about this matter. We all know of an interminable list of musicians claiming that they deserve writing credits for this or that song.
You name them: Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins, Gram Parsons,etc, etc

Obviously, they have contributed and they got paid for it, but i am sure all the great songs would appear all the same without all the contributions.
Maybe they would not be the same, have another feel, etc, but the Rolling Stones would still be the Rolling Stones. What have all these musicians done when apart from Jagger/Richards? Not much in my opinion

On the other hand, lots of times the Glimmer twins shared writing credits (ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Chuck Leavell, Pierre de Beauport, M.Faithfull, etc) so maybe, when deserved, Mick and Keef , open themselves to sharing credits.

Re: Writing credita in the Stones
Date: January 4, 2012 16:29

varilla
There´s a lot of talk about this matter. We all know of an interminable list of musicians claiming that they deserve writing credits for this or that song.
You name them: Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins, Gram Parsons,etc, etc

Obviously, they have contributed and they got paid for it, but i am sure all the great songs would appear all the same without all the contributions.
Maybe they would not be the same, have another feel, etc, but the Rolling Stones would still be the Rolling Stones. What have all these musicians done when apart from Jagger/Richards? Not much in my opinion

On the other hand, lots of times the Glimmer twins shared writing credits (ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Chuck Leavell, Pierre de Beauport, M.Faithfull, etc) so maybe, when deserved, Mick and Keef , open themselves to sharing credits.

No we don't. What songs have Brian, Nicky or Gram claimed to have written? confused smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 4, 2012 16:33

Although you make a valid point regarding sharing credits , you must admit that the Glimmer Twins tried to pull a fast one on several occaisions regarding credits .

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

These are obvious " errors in judgement " there are several others .

Date: January 4, 2012 16:37

boston2006
Although you make a valid point regarding sharing credits , you must admit that the Glimmer Twins tried to pull a fast one on several occaisions regarding credits .

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

+ Stop Breakin' Down.

But I didn't see any errors regarding Prodigal Son?

Date: January 4, 2012 16:45

It was written by Reverend Wilkins

Date: January 4, 2012 16:47

boston2006

I know, but he was also credited on the album...

Date: January 4, 2012 16:52

In Brian´s case i think it was a general disechantment, not for a particular song. He felt he deserved some credit for his contributions (read for example,Phelge´s book)
Nicky felt quite bitter for various songs in which he added a lot (read Dawsons book on Nicky): Angie, Time Waits for no one, Salt of the Earth, maybe even Sympathy, etc
Gram, well, i really don´t know, but i acknowledge that at some point or another he felt like he was an inspiration for Keith. Ok, maybe we can count Gram out of this picture but not the other two

Date: January 4, 2012 16:54

DandelionPowderman
boston2006

Not originally is was added at a later date to reissues

Date: January 4, 2012 16:56

varilla
In Brian´s case i think it was a general disechantment, not for a particular song. He felt he deserved some credit for his contributions (read for example,Phelge´s book)
Nicky felt quite bitter for various songs in which he added a lot (read Dawsons book on Nicky): Angie, Time Waits for no one, Salt of the Earth, maybe even Sympathy, etc
Gram, well, i really don´t know, but i acknowledge that at some point or another he felt like he was an inspiration for Keith. Ok, maybe we can count Gram out of this picture but not the other two

Adding isn't writing, regarding Nicky (Time Waits For No One!!!!?), Brian and Gram is pure speculation.

Date: January 4, 2012 16:58

boston2006
DandelionPowderman
boston2006

Not originally is was added at a later date to reissues

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Re: Writing credits in the Stones
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:02

boston2006

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

I Don't Know Why is not an example of the Glimmer Twins trying to "pull a fast one".
It was an error by Decca/Abkco when it was released as a 45 in 1975. Oddly enough, the demo disc had the correct composer credits: [www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:09

Speculations yes but when Ronnie says credits was about being at the right place at the right time, when and where the decisions are made, you understand that the credits dont mean Jagger/Richards wrote everything. I dont think The Last Time (Brians riff, lyrics "borrowed") or JJF would have passed today.

Date: January 4, 2012 17:13

Redhotcarpet
Speculations yes but when Ronnie says credits was about being at the right place at the right time, when and where the decisions are made, you understand that the credits dont mean Jagger/Richards wrote everything. I dont think The Last Time (Brians riff, lyrics "borrowed") or JJF would have passed today.

Brian's riff? By that logic Mick Taylor wrote Bitch. I've never seen him claiming that...

What Ronnie is addressing could also very well be being a part of the creative process at the right time, meaning being there when the decisions are made for changes, development, riffs, lyrical suggestion (titles, hooks) etc.

And, yes, I think JJF would have passed just as good today.

Re: Writing credits in the Stones
Date: January 4, 2012 17:19

Deltics
boston2006

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

I Don't Know Why is not an example of the Glimmer Twins trying to "pull a fast one".
It was an error by Decca/Abkco when it was released as a 45 in 1975. Oddly enough, the demo disc had the correct composer credits: [www.45cat.com]

You are correct on the UK release , the US demo release was credited to Jagger / Richards / Taylor

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:22

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Brian's riff? By that logic Mick Taylor wrote Bitch. I've never seen him claiming that...

What Ronnie is addressing could also very well be being a part of the creative process at the right time, meaning being there when the decisions are made for changes, development, riffs, lyrical suggestion (titles, hooks) etc.

I've also read the "Brian's riff" thing on The Last Time before. BILL's piano riff on Paint it Black and Emotional Rescue as well. I have no idea if that is true or not...please don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:23

varilla

Billy Preston was an accomplished song writer. You can look it up.

By the way, how many songs has Keith Richards written on his own?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-04 17:24 by SweetThing.

Date: January 4, 2012 17:31

SweetThing
varilla

I recall reading that regardless of the author that Mick & Keith agered long ago to share credits .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:34

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Yes, like creating The Last Time riff. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bear in mind that by the time Ronnie joins they are maybe a bit more wary of having to change guitar players again so may have softened a bit regarding credits, throwing him a credit bone every now and then to keep him happy. Plus Ronnie had already released his own album and been credited for writing stuff with Faces.

Ronnie's situation and the times in which it took place is different to when Brian and co were faced with this new Jagger - Richard song writing business deal.

The credits don't always reflect the true story of who wrote the songs, but of course they do at times as well. We'll never know for sure which is which.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:39

boston2006
SweetThing
varilla

I recall reading that regardless of the author that Mick & Keith agered long ago to share credits .

Yes, that's correct. Somehow though we still have very many Jagger solo credits. Again, how many does Keith have? (It's only a question here boston2006, in the context of varilla's opening post..._

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:40

SweetThing
varilla

Billy Preston was an accomplished song writer. You can look it up.

Well, up to 1967 Keith wrote the majority of the songs with Jagger writing the lyrics. And most of the songs Keith sings with The Stones he wrote them on his own.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 4, 2012 17:41

SweetThing
Yes, that's correct. Somehow though we still have very many Jagger solo credits.

On which songs?

Date: January 4, 2012 17:47

stones78

Well, up to 1967 Keith wrote the majority of the songs with Jagger writing the lyrics. And most of the songs Keith sings with The Stones he wrote them on his own.

For sure Mick came up with vocal melodies as well.

Date: January 4, 2012 18:02

stones78
SweetThing
Yes, that's correct. Somehow though we still have very many Jagger solo credits.

On which songs?

Perhaps I'm in error but aren't all songs on Stones LPs credited to Jagger / Richards that they wrote ? I cannot recall seeing anything other than that credit . Unless of course there was another writer credited along with them . EG "Everything Is Turning to Gold"

Of course on their solo LPs the writing credits are solo or with other writers

Date: January 4, 2012 18:11

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Yes, like creating The Last Time riff. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bear in mind that by the time Ronnie joins they are maybe a bit more wary of having to change guitar players again so may have softened a bit regarding credits, throwing him a credit bone every now and then to keep him happy. Plus Ronnie had already released his own album and been credited for writing stuff with Faces.

Ronnie's situation and the times in which it took place is different to when Brian and co were faced with this new Jagger - Richard song writing business deal.

The credits don't always reflect the true story of who wrote the songs, but of course they do at times as well. We'll never know for sure which is which.

LOL! In fairness you are picking bits of my post here smiling smiley But I agree with you. On the other hand, I have no reason to believe that the credits don´t reflect the true story of who wrote the songs most of the times.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 4, 2012 18:33

boston2006
stones78
SweetThing

On which songs?

Perhaps I'm in error but aren't all songs on Stones LPs credited to Jagger / Richards that they wrote ? I cannot recall seeing anything other than that credit . Unless of course there was another writer credited along with them . EG "Everything Is Turning to Gold"

Of course on their solo LPs the writing credits are solo or with other writers

There's Jagger/Richards/KD Lang song and Jagger/Richards/ Pierre DeBeaumont song on Bridges To Babylon. Sister Morphine on Sticky Fingers has been credited to Jager/Richards/Faithfull, etc ..there's plenty of co- written songs on Stones albums.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2012 19:36

DandelionPowderman
boston2006

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

+ Stop Breakin' Down.

But I didn't see any errors regarding Prodigal Son?

+ hey Negrita, Melody

Date: January 4, 2012 21:13

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Of course Brian wrote it, he played it and Keith said it was a good riff that Brian played which is as close as you get with Keith admitting anything. Keith didnt write the Satisfaction riff though. He played it but didnt write it.

Date: January 4, 2012 21:15

Who wrote Satisfaction then?

Date: January 4, 2012 21:17

Redhotcarpet

Of course Brian wrote it, he played it and Keith said it was a good riff that Brian played which is as close as you get with Keith admitting anything.

Actually, in 1965 when he was asked who wrote The Last Time riff Keith did go as far as saying Brian wrote it. thumbs up

Date: January 4, 2012 21:19

varilla
Who wrote Satisfaction then?

Keith thought the Satisfaction riff sounded like a horn riff, it was written for horns. The riff came to Keith in one of his dreams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-04 21:21 by Redhotcarpet.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home