Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Rolling Stones in Mono
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 20, 2010 22:38

So far I haven't heard an official or bootleg cd-release of the 7 inch mono mix for YCAGWYW.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: December 21, 2010 03:51

From4tilLate
The Sgt. Pepper mono mix took 12 hours and all four Beatles attended. The stereo mix took 2 hours the next day and no Beatle attended.

Maybe whoever mixed the stereo version wasn't bad at it. Production and performance are different skills anyway. The opinion of the artists is important, but definitely not decisive.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:41

Surely you can't be serious with a statement like that.....

Date: December 21, 2010 05:01

scottkeef
Surely you can't be serious with a statement like that.....

I think that history can prove that the opinion of artists has been overruled by record companies many times. That's how it works: the companies are responsible for sales of their products; they will do whatever they think will benefit sales. If you don't want to have your stuff out in stereo, you should not sign with a record company to give them that power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 05:06 by lsbz.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 21, 2010 06:40

lsbz
The opinion of the artists is important, but definitely not decisive.

That may be the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board.

Date: December 21, 2010 07:15

From4tilLate
lsbz
The opinion of the artists is important, but definitely not decisive.

That may be the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board.

Anyone who thinks that an artist's opinion is of more importance than their own ears, is obviously more interested in following leaders than in music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 14:00 by lsbz.

Date: December 21, 2010 20:18

George Martin said "You've never really heard Sgt. Pepper until you've heard it in MONO". As stated earlier all four Beatles were with George Martin over the meticulous Mono mixing of the album while the Stereo mix was left up to Abbey Road engineers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 20:19 by scottkeef.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:21

i dislike most stereo mixes with vocals only in one stereo channel rather hear it in mono than deal with that any day

Date: December 21, 2010 21:39

scottkeef
George Martin said "You've never really heard Sgt. Pepper until you've heard it in MONO". As stated earlier all four Beatles were with George Martin over the meticulous Mono mixing of the album while the Stereo mix was left up to Abbey Road engineers.

It still says very little about the quality of the stereo mixes. I also think that the sonically better quality of stereo compensates for a little less mixing quality.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:45

scottkeef
George Martin said "You've never really heard Sgt. Pepper until you've heard it in MONO".

george is wrong. i've heard it mono, and i say i really did hear it in stereo.

Date: December 21, 2010 23:21

lsbz
From4tilLate
The Sgt. Pepper mono mix took 12 hours and all four Beatles attended. The stereo mix took 2 hours the next day and no Beatle attended.

Maybe whoever mixed the stereo version wasn't bad at it. Production and performance are different skills anyway. The opinion of the artists is important, but definitely not decisive.

Mono or Stereo, obviously you can decide for yourselves which you prefer but what was really being addressed was the silliness of this statement!

Posted by: belld ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:25

Per chance a tour the whole of the first album played live in many small venues in its original mono style, bliss.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:29

Why bother really? Let us get on with our lives!!tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 22, 2010 00:01

scottkeef
lsbz
From4tilLate

Mono or Stereo, obviously you can decide for yourselves which you prefer but what was really being addressed was the silliness of this statement!

The statement was basically the same. If you agree that your own judgement is decisive, it's also possible that a producer or a technician is better at mixing than the artists are.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 22, 2010 01:22

I have two ears - I wish they would get all the ((stereo)) mixes out...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 24, 2010 15:51

scottkeef

I've just been listening to the Sirius broadcast of McCartney and band at the Apollo...in the pre show segment Steven Van Zandt commented at length about the Beatles' mono mixes...how that is how they were intended to be heard! its a pretty interesting discussion, how tracks got left out of the stereo mix...they felt stereo was a gimmick to be ignored...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home