Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is Brussels Affair '73 As Good As Ya-Ya's ?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:13

Amazing sounding Rolling Stones at their best.
They are all on fire!
As good as Ya-Ya's, IMO

Re: Is Brussels Affair '73 As Good As Ya-Ya's ?
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:18

IMHO you are right

Date: November 18, 2011 10:29

It's better, imo. They had three albums with even better songs under their belt + they're playing even better.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:35

And nothing is even known as a "warhorse"...
Midnight Rambler sounds so fresh... not at all vaudeville like it became.
No audience sing-alongs in MR or YCAGWYW.
Fantastic performance and recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 10:37 by schillid.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:43

It's great. But Ya-Ya's is meaner and leaner. Spookier. Good to have them both.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:45

They're playing better on Brussels and it has no overdubs but since it was the Goats Head Soup tour you get some weak songs (Angie, Dancing with Mr.D, Heartbreaker. IMO of course). And Midnight Rambler is better on Ya-Ya's.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:37

DiscoVolante
They're playing better on Brussels and it has no overdubs but since it was the Goats Head Soup tour you get some weak songs (Angie, Dancing with Mr.D, Heartbreaker. IMO of course). And Midnight Rambler is better on Ya-Ya's.

I love those Goats Head Soup songs -nothing weak about those, - I cant compare those two live recordings, cause it´s diffrent ball game - Ya Ya is almost proto-punk in it´s way..I love it. I just hope we can get Brussels on CD and VINYL.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:48

You beat me to it Schillid. Yes, it's better than Ya Yas. And I'll tell you why - they are coming off the back of a lengthy US tour with some bridging Australian dates to keep the motor runnin' so to speak.

And yes, they are all on fire and playing with far more confidence then Ya Yas. Sonically this recording is almost perfect. The drums sound magnificent, the bass has a real presence now and Mick Taylor - well what can you say? Possibly his finest moment!

The tracks from Goat's Head Soup sound so cool - Heartbreaker sends shivers down my spine. Angie sounds like a long lost recording by Otis Redding while Dancing With Mr D is probably the best of them all.

Plus we have one of the great ever version of Gimme Shelter. Midnight Rambler ain't far behind and of course Tumbling Dice, the last truly great Stones single, perfectly captures the swagger of the 69-72 golden years.

In a word, magnificent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 15:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:31

Ya-ya is better for me but the two albuns are amazing. fantastic!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:33

better then yaya's

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:30

Preferred Taylor on Ya-Yas.
Keith is still part of the engine room on Brussels, but for me MT overplayed by 73.

Still think it's one of the greatest live recordings after Live at Leeds and Ya-Yas though.

sc uk

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:31

My vote for Ya-ya's, but Brussel is great, too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:38

DiscoVolante

The version of Midnight Rambler on YaYas vies with the studio version of Gimme Shelter as the greatest thing the Stones have ever released in my book.

I've always thought, however, that the Brussels'73 afternoon show version topped the MSG'69 one. Thankfully, theyve chosen to keep this version for the new release even though most of the new archive release comes from the evening show.

GHS is the weakest of the Jimmy Miller produced albums by some distance, but the songs were magnificent when played live. The Brussels show(s) captures the Taylor-era Stones at their absolute zenith.

This is the greatest live album they've ever put out - and it has a slight edge because it has no studio embellishments at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 15:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:51

I would like to hear a complete 69 show with no overdubs.Now that would be something.

sc uk

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:59

Much better, is really live,not full of overdubs as in ya-ya"s...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:10

DiscoVolante

No! The GHS songs are brilliant in concert, nothing weak about them.

Brussels is in every respect as great as Ya-Ya's! I would non want to miss one of the both versions of Midnight Rambler, to me it is almost two different songs.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:19

maybe Jagger sang better on Ya'sYa's , I don'tknow is his vocals were overdubbed or not, but the vocals sound better.... brussels takes you to the show and the band was obviously beter live in 73'

Date: November 18, 2011 15:26

straycatuk
I would like to hear a complete 69 show with no overdubs.Now that would be something.

sc uk

Most of the songs that were overdubbed are available on the internet without Mick's overdubs. Not that big of a difference, imo. Never understood why he felt he needed to do the overdubs in the first place.

There are no guitar overdubs, apart from Keith's extra rhythm guitar on Little Queenie.

So essentially, there are no overdubs on Ya Yas.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:31

Brussels is better but there ar ebetter versions of Happy from the same tour, and I still miss an official Live Album from 1972, the unreleased live album need to be released. 1972 and 1973 are very different sounding, different guitars, playing and songs. And then it's time for 1975/1976 and El Mocambo.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:42

Redhotcarpet
Brussels is better but there ar ebetter versions of Happy from the same tour, and I still miss an official Live Album from 1972, the unreleased live album need to be released. 1972 and 1973 are very different sounding, different guitars, playing and songs. And then it's time for 1975/1976 and El Mocambo.

I would like to hear Nicky Hopskins on piano from 72' than the. brussels Billy Preston...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:03

It's better.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:13

Different, not better. But certainly as good.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:13

Loudei
Redhotcarpet

I would like to hear Nicky Hopskins on piano from 72' than the. brussels Billy Preston...

Yeah although Id love to hear both actually. Nicky sort of belongs with Taylor and Billy with, well not Ronnie but with Mick and Keith, Ollie and Bill and Charlie. Billy was perfect in 1975-1977. Not bad in any way in 1973 but 1972 with Nicky is something else. Gimme shelter is great with Nicky and its great with Billy. I love both versions.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:15

I think for every ten times I have listened to Brussels I listened one time to ya-Ya's.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:17

Product: BA wins hands down. BA is how live performances should be released. BA is how the anniversary Ya Ya's should have been re released. One day I want to meet in person the mastermind who had the idea of the extra cd with only the previously unreleased songs.

Performance: tie. Individually single members might have played more difficult parts on BA, yet, ya ya's slow pace and MT / KR interaction was something else. On the other hand I love the more "Vegas" arrangements of BA (horns and Kcool smiley.

Set list: ya ya hands down. More variety, interesting cuts etc. BA's set list is too heavy on Open G rockers.

C

Date: November 18, 2011 16:26

There are more fvck ups, out of tune guitars and hoarse voices on BA, but the show is organic and real. The sound is awesome. However, the most important thing that makes BA better is imo the collection of songs, simply brilliant.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:37

I lean towards Brussels, both have always loved them both.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:39

Both brilliant, but I'll take Brussels.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:40

Ya-Ya's. Brussel Affairs is amazing, brilliant, but it can get a bit repetitive, fast paced open g riffing for an hour, whereas Ladies and Gents and Ya-Ya's are more, I dunno... Varied, perhaps.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:41

Honestly, I can't really say - since they are so different concepts (in many ways), they are difficult to compare. But what is wonderful is that finally we can actually with a justification compare a 'new' official live product to classical GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! That's an achievement an sich.

Now to think this incredile Stones year: first we got a concert film that would qualitywise be at least in the level of legendaric LADYS AND GENTS, now a live album that challanges YA-YA'S! It is wonderful that the legendaric back pages are now started being documented in a way they deserve.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home