Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Any Dr Feelgood fans?
Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 30, 2010 23:51

Only just recently got into their music- some really great stuff -really like Roxette

Re: OT Any Dr Feelgood fans?
Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:00

Definitely! One of the really great bands of the mid-70s. Wilko Johnson was a fine unique guitarist, and Lee Brilleaux really gave them an edge. Wasn't as impressed after Wilko left. Glad to say I caught them in their prime.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 1, 2010 00:05

i like 'em..."Down By The Jetty" & "Malpractice" are both excellent....The Count Bishops are a similar band from the same period....they're kick-ass as well

Date: October 1, 2010 00:39

Exactly, I don't think you can find a much tighter sound!

Date: October 1, 2010 00:54

Skip to the 1 min mark to get to the start of the song!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 00:56 by nanker phelge.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:05

Saw them at their second LA appearance in '76 at the Roxy. Loved 'em.

I wasn't wild about Sneakin Suspicion, but I liked Down By The Jetty and Malpractice a lot.

Stupidity is one of the best live albums ever recorded.

The first post-Wilco album, Be Seein' You, produced by Nick Lowe is a very very good album. Also saw that version of the group once at the Whiskey, still great but nowhere near the same visual dynamics as they had with Wilco.

And if you like that sound, get Out of Their Skulls by The Pirates. The live side will knock you out!

Date: October 1, 2010 01:09

Hey Loog Droog thanks will check it out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:14

Wilco Johnson's From A Buick Six would be close to the best Dylan cover ever....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:18

I loved it when I was a kid. And still do!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:25

Dr Feelgood? only one response needed, a huge smiley!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 1, 2010 01:28

Date: October 1, 2010 02:17

loog droog

And if you like that sound, get Out of Their Skulls by The Pirates. The live side will knock you out!

Just got a dvd from England with The Pirates Live at Dingwalls 1977. Six songs - I Can Tell, Gibson Martin Fender, Shakin' All Over, You Don't Own Me, Lonesome Train and Talking About You. It's great!!! A friend has them on Musikladen with Mick Green. Yicks! Gotta work out a trade. I've Rockpalast but with out Mick. He's also on McCartneys Live at The Cavern Club dvd.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: October 1, 2010 02:36

Try and get to see Oil City Confidential - brilliant Julien Temple film about the Feelgoods

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 1, 2010 07:02

My band does She Does It Right and Keep It Out Of Sight.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 09:01

From the 1975 Naughty Rhythms tour (filmed Feb 2nd in Newcastle for the Tyne Tees show "Geordie Scene" ). Classic stuff!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 1, 2010 10:28

I love Dr.feelgood!!

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 1, 2010 10:39

Yes! Best live band ever, I so wish there was the wealth of archive that there is for the Stones. As there isn't I'm currently knitting a time machine to travel back and go to gigs like the Kusaal that was filmed for Going Back Home. Since I can't knit, it is worth buying the DVD & CD in the meantime.
Oil City Confidential is great too, there's a showing in Reading later this month with Wilko and his band (with the amazing Norman Watt-Roy) performing afterwards.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 1, 2010 10:59

huge fan - great band.

Get the wonderful Julien Temple movie, ' Oil City Confidential'

It's the best thing i've seen in 2010.
An instant classic.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:25

Yeah, a big fan. Caught them a few times in their prime (i.e., with Wilko) and once post Wilko. Still a great band post Wilko, but just not the same. Saw Wilko's first post-Feelgood band - Solid Senders - a couple of times as well.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no interest in the current incarnation of Dr Feelgood. No original members and, while I'm sure they're a decent band, they're not for me.

Have continued to listen to and collect Feelgood music over the years. The "Down By The Jetty" deluxe edition is immense and the BBC releases ain't half bad. Also continued to pick up Wilko's work as and when I could find it, but haven't managed to see him live since, I guess, the late 70's (he still had hair).

This will be rectified when he plays Glasgow next month. Really looking forward to that one. Go Wilko!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:26

I LOVE a big handful of their songs, but can't listen to too Dr Feelgood back to back - prefer smaller doses.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:38

Too young to have seen the original band, but saw Wilko play at least ten times between 1983 and 2000. One memorable day was sitting in the beer garden at the Kings Head listening to Page and Plant rehearsing upstairs and then later watching Wilko play in the bar, sadly Jimmy never turned up to watch smiling smiley

He's a really special player in the same way that Johnny Thunders was, its simple but you cant duplicate that rhythmn style just the best.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:47

i like it yes

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:39

I like both their picture-sleeves >grinning smiley< and their music !
One of the best pub-rock Band ever...

winking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 12:40 by Honestman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 1, 2010 13:56

Where their name came from...

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 1, 2010 16:11

Dr Feelgood are still going, of course with only a portion of the original crew. but they still put on a great show.

One of my mates rates them as his all time favourite band and constantly travels all around the country watching them - gives me some grief about being a Stones fan, waiting around for years between tours, seeing them in enormodomes, paying through the teeth for tickets etc.

He gets to hang out with the band. knows them personally, when Oil city confidential came out, they did a release party with special concerts, think one was an acoutstic gig, tour of canvey as well.

to be fair I go every Year to the rock and bleus festival, where they are regulars, Hamsters play there along with others like John Otway and loads of talented Blues artists.

Rock n roll doesn't die - it just has new line-ups! hahaaa.

Rock on \m/

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 1, 2010 17:55

Umm I'm sure they do put on a great show, there are none of the original crew though, sadly.

What I would love to see is the Lee Brilleaux weekend line up where the original surviving 3 jam together. Wilko, Big Figure, Sparko.

And yes, the Hamsters are always great live too.

Monkeytonkman
Dr Feelgood are still going, of course with only a portion of the original crew. but they still put on a great show.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 1, 2010 18:01

Good point. Wilko always plays at the rock n blues but does his own show. Thought he got up and had a bash with em but on reflecto he doesn't, he gets up and does a set with the Hamsters and Otway. thats good entertainment. ah well, thats the miracle of booze!!!

Never mind, off to watch Thin Lizzy with no original members in either! hahaa

Posted by: Cujo ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:26

Dr Feelgood was a great band and if you like them you should definitely check out THE GODFATHERS. They are back on the road after almost 15 years and they lost none of their magic.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 4, 2010 09:50

they were huge in Finland with Wilko, I remeber the gig posters tho I was way too young to go. Oil City Confidental shows footage from Finland when they talk about taking over London.
Rumour still persists that a finnish guitarist, Albert Järvinen was offer the job after Wilko quit... Nick Lowe considers Albert the best rock guitarist of the 70's... going with the Feelgoods would have killed the guy even quicker...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 4, 2010 10:09

teleblaster
Yeah, a big fan. Caught them a few times in their prime (i.e., with Wilko) and once post Wilko...

I'm afraid I have absolutely no interest in the current incarnation of Dr Feelgood. No original members and, while I'm sure they're a decent band, they're not for me.

I have to say that while the Wilko period was the best I really liked the Gypie Mayo period too, after that it got a bit hit and miss.

As for the current line-up, while I accept they've got the right to be Dr Feelgood I can't help but think that are little more than a tribute band (bit like Thin Lizzy) and I have very little interest.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home