Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Who
Date: October 1, 2010 14:35

oh ok. will a version with just the 4 cd's be released?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 1, 2010 14:35

Amazing . GYYYO just got blown out of the water.

Bonus is a recording of the full Hull gig............my town !

sc uk

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:25

In my opinion Entwistle was one of the most inovative musicians and bass players around..Moon was the most forceful drummers and was the backbone of the group.. Quadrophenia to me was a stronger more polished album than Tommy..but Tommy was such a great idea at the time..the Rock Opera.. my favorite studio album..Who's Next.. but loved "By The Numbers".. How Many Friends..However Much I Booze..Slip Kid... no band got more sound and force from three musicians than The Who.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 5, 2010 11:51

I now have Live at leeds, Who's Next, Kids are Alright and Who are you? on the ipod as well as the ultimate collection. I think that will do for starters on the CD front.

I have the Kids are Alright DVD - any other recommended DVDs/Blu-rays?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 5, 2010 12:02

Braincapers
any other recommended DVDs

Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 is really great Amazon

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 5, 2010 13:37

My generation is a really classic mod 60's album with rough sound and nice songs! Get that one, you cant make it without it!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 5, 2010 16:21

The Who: Kilburn 1977 DVD.

The second disk is a show from 1969 at the London Coliseum -> it is K I L L E R

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 5, 2010 16:44

As 'custom55' said... you just can't go wrong with The Who in '69 & '70.

Great bootleg DVDs: Tanglewood 1970, Woodstock '69, Isle of Wight '69, few from the '75 tour.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 02:55

this is just one of many reasons to buy the Kilburn DVD

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:42

The Who are my second favorite band and I think they get short changed sometimes. Their super bowl performance last year convinced me that it was time for them to retire. They have never been the same without Keith Moon he was absolutely vital to the band especially live.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 9, 2010 16:09

I recently found a used DVD of "The Who - Live In Boston" it's a DVD from around 2002 or so and I'll tell you, it's a pretty good concert, I've played it a few times already. Worth checking out, - not something for $50 or anything, but if you like the Who, it's a pretty good show.

Date: October 9, 2010 17:26

I saw them right after the Ox died and they were better than any of the previous times I had seen them. However that had gone back to the Quadrophenia tour and 1989 tour the Who without Pete on electric sucked!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 12, 2010 06:14

Even Keith Moon is terrible at his last full gig, which is documented on the Kilburn show. However, the Who in 2000, with Zak Starkey, was a reasonable imitation of their old days.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 12, 2010 06:18

>GYYYO just got blown out of the water.

Oh please.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 12, 2010 06:19

Keefan
I love their first album too Marshall. It's got more of an R & B flavor to it.

That is indeed a great one.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2010 12:52

ab
trainarollin
No good record since 1975

I'd go even further back. Quadrophenia was the last album of theirs that was solid all the way through.

Through 1971, they were the best live band around bar none. But they've been hit and miss live since then: playing along with too many backing tapes doing Quadrophenia live in '73-74; excellent in '75-76, but terrible on the Kilburn DVD from '77. Revived with Kenney Jones in '79, but limp by the time they quit in '82. The big band shows of '89 and '96-97 weren't really the Who. But they've generally been pretty solid with the smaller band since 1999 (with and without Entwistle bassasaurus rex).

Think you nailed it there ab. There two shows at Shepherd's Bush Empire about 10 years ago were phenomenal as was the gig at Watford 2001 when there was a real angry vibe about them. The version of Young Man Blues that night was nearly as good as on Live At Leeds.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 14, 2010 07:30

custom55
The Who: Kilburn 1977 DVD.

The second disk is a show from 1969 at the London Coliseum -> it is K I L L E R

Unfortunately, the London Coliseum footage isn't very well filmed, and the Kilburn performance is dreadful, arguably Keith Moon's worst gig.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 14, 2010 13:20

Silver Dagger
ab
trainarollin

I'd go even further back. Quadrophenia was the last album of theirs that was solid all the way through.

Through 1971, they were the best live band around bar none. But they've been hit and miss live since then: playing along with too many backing tapes doing Quadrophenia live in '73-74; excellent in '75-76, but terrible on the Kilburn DVD from '77. Revived with Kenney Jones in '79, but limp by the time they quit in '82. The big band shows of '89 and '96-97 weren't really the Who. But they've generally been pretty solid with the smaller band since 1999 (with and without Entwistle bassasaurus rex).

Think you nailed it there ab. There two shows at Shepherd's Bush Empire about 10 years ago were phenomenal as was the gig at Watford 2001 when there was a real angry vibe about them. The version of Young Man Blues that night was nearly as good as on Live At Leeds.

Went to the Bush and Watford gigs. The Bush gigs were indeed stunning. I'd last seen The Who playing Quadrophenia, with Pete stuck mostly to acoustic, as per the 1989 Who on Ice/Only in it for the money tour. In 1999, Pete was back on electric, and boy - what a difference it made. Those were the best Who gigs I'd seen since 1980.

As for Watford - Pete was in a foul mood, kicking out lights and cussing out the audience. Daltrey had that "oh no - not again!" look on his face. Terrific gig though - The Ox's penultimate UK show, I think.

Date: October 14, 2010 13:53

Totally agree, I was also at the Shepehrds Bush and Watford Colliseum shows - apparently at Watford, the lighting and especially the sound was so poor that the band had difficulty in hearing each other, which may well explain Pete's mood. A great gig in a quirky venue and, as you say, one of the Ox's last in the UK.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 14, 2010 14:03

At least when they released the remastered albums they included tons of bonus tracks which is more than our favorite Band did.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 14, 2010 14:32

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
ab
trainarollin

Went to the Bush and Watford gigs. The Bush gigs were indeed stunning. I'd last seen The Who playing Quadrophenia, with Pete stuck mostly to acoustic, as per the 1989 Who on Ice/Only in it for the money tour. In 1999, Pete was back on electric, and boy - what a difference it made. Those were the best Who gigs I'd seen since 1980.

As for Watford - Pete was in a foul mood, kicking out lights and cussing out the audience. Daltrey had that "oh no - not again!" look on his face. Terrific gig though - The Ox's penultimate UK show, I think.

Yes, The Ox's last gigs were at the Royal Albert Hall. Also great shows as was the Portsmouth show at the beginning of that mini tour. I hear there's a great recording of the Watford show. Does anyone here have it?

Date: October 14, 2010 14:39

'fraid not Silver Dagger, no recording. I do have a couple of grainy (pre-digital) photos somewhere which I can try and find.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 14, 2010 15:25

Hello,

One more for Watford and the second Portsmouth show. Ropey pre-digital photos ahoy!

...and Pompey, which was the previous Monday...

They were some shows. Miss them big-time.

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-14 15:58 by SimonN.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 14, 2010 15:33

Thanks for the photos.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 14, 2010 17:04

Brilliant photos, Simon. Thanks for these.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 14, 2010 17:18

Nice pics. John's amplification is actually SMALLER than what he used when playing CLUBS with his own band. And Pete's is tiny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-14 17:30 by tatters.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 23, 2010 22:24

A quick Tommy question. I realise that there is Tommy by the Who, Tommy the movie soundtrack and Tommy with the LSO. I assume the original is the best but are the others worth a listen?

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: October 24, 2010 00:03

"I like the Who but only have compilations."

I have The Who Collection; the greatest hits double CD. I think it has all the good singles except for Run, Run, Run and Heatwave and maybe some others. Recent masters of the singles on reissues of A Quick One and My Generation may be better though, I suspect it but haven't really compared. You should also have Who's Next.
In my opinion Live At Leeds is overrated, although I like Summertime Blues. Tommy is also overrated. They're both not bad, but generally not real good either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-24 01:02 by lsbz.

Date: October 24, 2010 00:20

1. When people talk about the greatness of LAL do they mean the original version or the one with bonus tracks?

They mean the original version, of course. But the new CD editions of course are the expanded ones which also contain some fillers. As an album the original is still better than the expanded edition. Less is more! Which mustn't prevent you from listening to the other stuff as well.

2. What other CD should I get?

I'd recommend a greatest hits compilation first (I still love the original version of "Meaty beaty big and bouncy" the best even if it goes only up to 1969), then "Who's next" from 1971 including the monument "Won't get fooled again".

3. I have two Who books but neither is a proper biography and I can't see any in the shops. Is there a good one?

Maximum R&B is fine, looks great and is affordable: [www.amazon.com]

4. You didn't ask about a video/DVD but to really appreciate the Who you will have to see the Moon and Pete in full action - best movie to me is "The kids is alright", compiled by a dedicated Who fan back in 1978.

Date: October 24, 2010 00:55

pike bishop - Very good point about the bonus tracks!!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home