Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Jeff Beck: 'I'll tour with the Stones if they want me and want to play the blues'
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 23, 2011 15:58

Guitar legend Jeff Beck tells the BBC he would happily stand in to play with the Rolling stones, should the opportunity ever arise in the future.

"I've just put my foot well into it, but I would, it would have to be something Blues or something that could show what I can do, I love them," he told 6 Music.

He also says he isn't regretful he didn't join the Rolling Stones in the past, "I don’t think I would have lasted, number one, I don’t think they were on the same path," he admitted.

Meanwhile, Jeff Beck is to be honoured with a Living Legend award by Classic Rock magazine.

Commonly regarded as one the greatest guitarist of all time - he was even Jimi Hendrix's favourite player.

Hear the interview here:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-23 16:03 by Silver Dagger.

Re: Jeff Beck: 'I'll tour with the Stones if they want me and want to play the blues'
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:29

I loved the bit at the end.'I luv them.I realy do.Even Her Highness up front'.That made me laugh.Thanks for posting SilverDagger. thumbs up

Re: Jeff Beck: 'I'll tour with the Stones if they want me and want to play the blues'
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:43

Good listen, thx.
- and yes - I approve....Jeff is allowed to join them for a 2012 tour - nice with a new spark in the guitar section. Bring it on

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:55

Question:

What prompted Jeff or the interviewer to even mention The Stones? (Something must be going on somewhere!!)smoking smiley

Date: September 23, 2011 16:57

And I like the sly dig "if they play the blues".

I think it could be great - a 3, possibly 4 guitar Rolling Stones playing back to the basics blues and r'n'b.

He could also provide cover for Keith, knowing that Keith can't play quite like he used to.

I'm should Jagger would sanction it right now. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Mick should ever put it to Keith.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:59

Jeff playing the blues with Keith, that would be amazing.
Darryl out, Bill in. If not: Wood/Keith on bass, and
please ask Taylor.....
Enough players available on guitar or bass. Very interesting mix imothumbs up

I don't believe it will happen though.

Date: September 23, 2011 17:00

Cocaine Eyes
Question:

What prompted Jeff or the interviewer to even mention The Stones? (Something must be going on somewhere!!)smoking smiley

That thought crossed my mind too, especially when Beck said 'I've just put my foot in it'.

Date: September 23, 2011 17:02

Silver Dagger
But I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Mick should ever put it to Keith.

Seeing Mick getting a black eye? Yes that would be a sight

Date: September 23, 2011 17:07

Jeff and Mick would never hit it off as a regular thing on tour.An appearance at a few Stones gigs playing bluesy numbers that would realy show his guitar playing would be a bonus to the tour.How Keith would feel about it is another thing. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:08

So overrated.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:10

Amsterdamned
Jeff playing the blues with Keith, that would be amazing.
Darryl out, Bill in. If not: Wood/Keith on bass, and
please ask Taylor.....
Enough players available on guitar or bass. Very interesting mix imothumbs up

I don't believe it will happen though.

Oow man, that would be something else...>grinning smiley<

Date: September 23, 2011 17:12

mickscarey
So overrated.

besides the fact that "overrated" is a pointless word that doesn't make any sense......you're wrong - Jeff Beck is one of the best; and has been for ages. Whether YOU like his playing or not is a different thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-23 17:13 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:14

crawdaddy
Jeff and Mick would never hit it off as a regular thing on tour.An appearance at a few Stones gigs playing bluesy numbers that would realy show his guitar playing would be a bonus to the tour.How Keith would feel about it is another thing. eye rolling smiley

Interesting quote.... When Jagger did his Jaggers jukebox thing for Radio 2 he was very very complimentary about Jeff Beck, and particularly, his guitar playing and appeared to be very fond of him. Makes you wonder.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 23, 2011 17:15

Absolutly not...I want the Stones.

Date: September 23, 2011 17:22

It had been reported that Jeff had done a studio session with Mick in the last couple years. I thought it was a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Angel" by Mick and Joss Stone with Dave Stewart producing. Allegedly this was for a charity album of various artists benefiting the United Nations, but I don't think it ever came out. Certainly the track never surfaced.

Date: September 23, 2011 17:43

68to72
crawdaddy

Interesting quote.... When Jagger did his Jaggers jukebox thing for Radio 2 he was very very complimentary about Jeff Beck, and particularly, his guitar playing and appeared to be very fond of him. Makes you wonder.

What I'm getting at is both Mick and Jeff wan't to be the boss and call the shots.As regular band mates , I don't think it would work.They probably get on quite well as buddies who respect each others work 'cos there not in the same band.winking smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 23, 2011 18:25

Perhaps his sudden departure from the Mick Jagger Band in 87/88 means that Mick wouldn't have him now any way?

Date: September 23, 2011 18:28

Wasn't the reason Jeff didn't tour with Mick a failure to agree on money? In any event, I don't think there was lasting bad blood if any at all.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 23, 2011 18:37

Cocaine Eyes
Question:

Great point.

I too wonder what brought this up? Why not also discuss Jeff playing with... "whomever" it makes as much sense.

Isnt Jeff mostly a lone gunman who likes to build his own (talented) bands... and why mention they have to play the blues?... all kind of interesting... but... I suspect he is mostly just stirring the pot.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2011 18:57

WilliamPatrickMaynard
It had been reported that Jeff had done a studio session with Mick in the last couple years. I thought it was a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Angel" by Mick and Joss Stone with Dave Stewart producing. Allegedly this was for a charity album of various artists benefiting the United Nations, but I don't think it ever came out. Certainly the track never surfaced.

wow popeye, that is interesting. One of my favorite Jimi tunes. I might even give the whole SH thing more respect if I could hear that cover by them. Got any more info on this? thanks. peace.

Date: September 23, 2011 19:03

crawdaddy
68to72
crawdaddy

What I'm getting at is both Mick and Jeff wan't to be the boss and call the shots.As regular band mates , I don't think it would work.They probably get on quite well as buddies who respect each others work 'cos there not in the same band.winking smiley

I agree crawdaddy, I can't see Jeff putting up with Mick's whole DIVA routine for more than a show or two. Mr. Beck is the real deal. Probably the best living guitarist. He has ripped tears from my eyes with just him and his green stratocaster playing live. That whammy bar work of his is amazing and touches the heart strings like no other. peace.

Date: September 23, 2011 19:22

Why is Jeff Beck probably the best? because of his taste? His songwriting skills? His technique? His ability to limit himself to what´s best for the song? His unique touch? His style?

IMO, the man lacks taste, as well as his own signalture style. Yeah, I know his vib-arm-stuff, but that´s hardly unique, is it?

I´m not dissing Jeff Beck, because he really is a technically brilliant guitar player. But with all the good players out there, why are so many of you saying he´s one of the best? Just curious...

Date: September 23, 2011 19:24

Jeff says it well here when talking about the Stones. "I love 'em. I do. Who doesn't? " Funny it is a fantasy for him too to be a member of the Rolling Stones. What a great REPLACEMENT for Ronnie. He fits the look and is English which is/was important to Keith. peace.

Date: September 23, 2011 19:25

Naturalust
Jeff says it well here when talking about the Stones. "I love 'em. I do. Who doesn't? " Funny it is a fantasy for him too to be a member of the Rolling Stones. What a great REPLACEMENT for Ronnie. He fits the look and is English which is/was important to Keith. peace.

Why for Ronnie? He´s the one that found his chops again...

Date: September 23, 2011 19:26

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

Why for Ronnie? He´s the one that found his chops again...

When?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:40

So now he's ready. After 40 years of contemplating...

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:42

Ronnie's doing great these days.

The main worry is Mr Richards.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:45

tomcat2006
Ronnie's doing great these days.

The main worry is Mr Richards.

Don't ya worry about Keith

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:50

This is exactly why he never would've cut it with The Stones. He would love to play with them...as long as they played what HE wanted to play, and something that could show what HE could do.

A far cry from ol' compliant Ronnie!

Ross

Date: September 23, 2011 19:53

DandelionPowderman
Why is Jeff Beck probably the best? because of his taste? His songwriting skills? His technique? His ability to limit himself to what´s best for the song? His unique touch? His style?

IMO, the man lacks taste, as well as his own signalture style. Yeah, I know his vib-arm-stuff, but that´s hardly unique, is it?

I´m not dissing Jeff Beck, because he really is a technically brilliant guitar player. But with all the good players out there, why are so many of you saying he´s one of the best? Just curious...

The best for me because he can friggin EMOTE with just the guitar. Not by his choice of songs, styles or the amount of notes he plays. He just becomes one with the instrument and pure human emotion seems to be eminating for him in every direction. It is truly magical, and if your up close and seeing it live you are carried away on this skinny englishmans emotions to wherever the hell he wants to take you. Amazing guitarist. Thanks why I think he is probably the best still living. That and he can play strraight rock and blues till the cows come home. As a sideman he still delivers the goods. Check out the Muddy Waters tribute album done by Paul Rogers. Jeff's solo in Good Morning Little Schoolgirl is growlingly sweet. peace.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home