Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Palais Royale Rehearsals
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 17, 2010 01:07

Bliss! There's no 12 foot long ding-a-lings, blow up dolls or gigantic stage, just the band standing there playing their instruments. I love the tone coming out of Keith Telecaster. Charlie is ROCK SOLID as always. Please forgive me if this has been posted before.

This is the band I'll pay top dollar for any day of the week.

you won't believe it! simply marvelous.

CBII

Re: Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Palais Royale Rehearsals
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 17, 2010 01:12

I love it too because of Ronnie's solo. I hated the way it evolved into the overly distorted, meandering bit he would play at MSG in 03. Here was much close to Taylor's original, but without trying to mimic it note for note.

Date: September 17, 2010 01:28

theimposter
I love it too because of Ronnie's solo. I hated the way it evolved into the overly distorted, meandering bit he would play at MSG in 03. Here was much close to Taylor's original, but without trying to mimic it note for note.

We can only hope there's more material from this rehearsal on youtube. It really sounds great. There's nothing like live music.

CBII

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 17, 2010 01:33

the whole show has circulated for years on vid and sbd audio. it's a fun warmup gig, featuring some rarities - but it was the first time the noted decline of keith was becoming glaringly evident.

Date: September 17, 2010 01:38

T&A
the whole show has circulated for years on vid and sbd audio. it's a fun warmup gig, featuring some rarities - but it was the first time the noted decline of keith was becoming glaringly evident.

Gee thanks for crashing my high there dude! No honestly, I thought they sounded really good (just my opinion).

CBII

Date: September 17, 2010 01:41

CBII
T&A

Gee thanks for crashing my high there dude! No honestly, I thought they sounded really good (just my opinion).

they did sound good, cb. nice and loose - but the keith thing was kinda shocking. was there at the orpheum theater gig a few weeks later and got a glimpse up close. he was reaching for stuff that he couldn't pull off anymore - stuff he was doing easily just 3 years earlier.

Date: September 17, 2010 01:46

T&A
CBII
T&A

they did sound good, cb. nice and loose - but the keith thing was kinda shocking. was there at the orpheum theater gig a few weeks later and got a glimpse up close. he was reaching for stuff that he couldn't pull off anymore - stuff he was doing easily just 3 years earlier.

The aging process gets even the best of the best over time.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 17, 2010 02:11

Don't know about Keith playing that day but from boot I found Orpheum a great gig!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 17, 2010 02:36

Chuck, heres Urbansteels upload of the dvd if you want to grab it.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:24

You can wake me up any time to watch the band in a setting like this.
What I would give to ever be at a rehearsal. Thank you, whoever made this video.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:47

This is awesome. SO much better without the Vegas bullshit. Just great musicianship.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:59

Keith's playing is woeful, sounds like a beginner guitarist working off an incorrect Sticky Fingers tab book.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:01

CBII
Bliss! There's no 12 foot long ding-a-lings, blow up dolls or gigantic stage, just the band standing there playing their instruments. I love the tone coming out of Keith Telecaster. Charlie is ROCK SOLID as always. Please forgive me if this has been posted before.

you won't believe it! simply marvelous.

Love the way you use the word ding-a-ling CBII. Is it a popular family or regional expression as I've only heard it used in this context once before, from you know whom?

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:12

On the album version, who plays the intro... Keith or Mick Taylor?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:21

Keith. this seems to be a matter of some debate, though.

always thought it was Keith.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:22

mickjagger1009
On the album version, who plays the intro... Keith or Mick Taylor?

1000% Keith

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:33

Probably about right. I don't remember songs that I wrote five years ago. Keith wrote that over 30 years earlier in the depths of heroin addiction. They never played it again. Probably not real familiar. A little rough, but I love it.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:46

duke richardson

No, there really is no debate about this. It's Keith.

Date: September 21, 2010 00:54

blondie, of course.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:20

CBII

I agree Duece. But as I've stated before, I think it's just too impractical at this point for them to do a tour of small scale shows like this, and properly service all the street level fans. They are too large a phenomenon. A guy like you CB could likely get in to see them, but guys like me would never have a chance.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:41

texas fan
duke richardson

No, there really is no debate about this. It's Keith.

yeah, there is debate, on this board. in previous threads.

but agreeing with you, I always will hear that intro as 100% Keith

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 21, 2010 05:26

I agree with you CBII. Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before either. It seems like a really special set of moments where they're really clicking and communicating with each other. I love how Mick, how none of them (except for Lisa? with all that mugging and miming) are putting on a show - just musicians playing, making music, collaborating in making something really beautiful. I appreciated the super clean clear tone of both Keith and Woody's guitars here; very melodic. In my opinion Keith was playing here, rehearsing here, I should say, not at top volume or form, but neither was Mick. They were playing together - and gorgeously. I would also pay top dollar for this kind of musical experience. God help us - no more ridiculosity and 12-foot-ding-a-lings! smiling smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 21, 2010 22:34

The modesty of the performance is a breath of fresh air. The many years of the hard sell tires me out and is IMO counter-productive. Either you stand by your music or you don't. Everything else is a BS smoke screen. E.g., Out Of Control. But this music is best heard in a bar or club anyway. The grand stage produces another beast altogether.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 21, 2010 23:47

It is Keith, I have a book where he talks how he played it in open tuning etc. Taylor didn't do a lot of open tunings especially with the stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home