Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Quadrophenia box set out in October
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 2, 2011 23:51

From Pete's blog... looking forward to it...

[www.thewho.com] ... tem_id=491

WHAT I'M DOING EVERYDAY

I am shut away in my home studio at the moment working to restore the demos of Quadrophenia. Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks. Jon Astley is remastering the original vinyl mix, and evaluating his own 1996 remix (the one where you can properly hear Roger's astonishing vocals). I am sitting in a pile of notes, desk diaries, photos (I took a lot of my own between 1971-1973 when Quadrophenia emerged), original lyrics and writing liner notes.

I am really enjoying this work. Bob's mixes are mind-blowing. My demos are among the best I've ever done, and include some real quirky tracks that didn't make it onto the final album. I still find studio work strange – I have to have the speakers very low in volume, not what I'm used to. This package, due in October if all goes well, is another Live at Leeds and Hull – or even another Lifehouse Chronicles – in the making. You are going to love it. I hope so, because I am missing this summer sunshine to get it completed on time.

In my recent interview with my friend Simon Garfield for INTELLIGENT LIFE, I professed some difficulty in my interaction with fans as I grow older. What is so wonderful about working on Quadrophenia is that back in 1970, all the way through to the recording in 1973, the primary challenge for me was to tell the story of the Who's fans and at the same time address the wayward creative needs of the band as individuals and artists. The Who, and Jimmy as a kind of model for one or all of our fans, really had developed a powerful symbiosis that deserved a project like Quadrophenia both to honour the mechanism and address why it started to fail almost a soon as it had begun

So I am enjoying working with the music, but I'm enjoying writing about it too.

Re: OT: Quadrophenia box set out in October
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 3, 2011 00:15

another wet dream is coming true..... This is nearly as good as a Some Girls Box set!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 3, 2011 00:20

Oh wonderful!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 3, 2011 00:42

My very favorite work by the Who. Dense, complicated, emotional, brilliant.

Date: June 3, 2011 01:19

the live at leeds/hull boxset is already out of print

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 01:22

FANTASTIC NEWS! YAY! I am so psyched! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 03:47

great news indeed !!!! Sea and Sand = goosebumps

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 03:50 by custom55.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 3, 2011 04:04

Wry Cooter
My very favorite work by the Who. Dense, complicated, emotional, brilliant.

Damn right!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 3, 2011 04:09

Agreed, my favorite Who album too. Looking forward to this!

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 04:16

surround sound mixes = awesome !

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2011 04:35

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2011 05:11

Where is Bol been lately? An IORR super Who fan. I'd like to hear his take on this.

BTW, if you are on board Bol, what Quadrophenia boots do you have access to from the tour a few years ago?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2011 05:24

Check this one out:

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 3, 2011 05:37

Fantastic! I am so looking forward to becoming acquainted with this album again. By far, the best Who album, in my opinion (with Who's Next). Tommy got all the love, but this is their true Masterpiece.

Date: June 3, 2011 06:51

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Quadrophenia, but check THIS one out!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 14:42 by tatters.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 3, 2011 07:45

what's the current preferred edition?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 3, 2011 08:04

Great news! Quadrophenia is also my favorite Who album and it was a dream come true seeing them play it in its entirety at Madison Square Garden in 1996. I'm sure this will be an incredible set and I can't wait to hear it in a 24-bit remastered mix. As Pete pointed out, his demos from this period were outstanding and a complete work in themselves. And the photos, liner notes lyics, essays, etc. will be a bonus. I only wish the Stones could have done something this nice for "Exile." Lazy bastards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 10:20 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 3, 2011 09:19

i'm a great who fan (1964-1972), ! but i think this album is not so good..

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 3, 2011 09:42

The WHO needs money - obviously. Must be frustrating to be / to have a band that is not able to produce something new, feeling the urge to recycle old stuff, put in in box sets and ask for horror prices. It's better to burn out than to fade away etc etc.

btw: if you wonder what box sets should and could really be like: check out Bob Dylans "biograph box set" from 85 and especially his "Tell Tale Signs" (Bootleg Series vol. 8) from 2008

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 09:45

Dude, why be a troll?

Date: June 3, 2011 14:26

TornAndFried
Great news! Quadrophenia is also my favorite Who album and it was a dream come true seeing them play it in its entirety at Madison Square Garden in 1996. I'm sure this will be an incredible set and I can't wait to hear it in a 24-bit remastered mix. As Pete pointed out, his demos from this period were outstanding and a complete work in themselves. And the photos, liner notes lyics, essays, etc. will be a bonus. I only wish the Stones could have done something this nice for "Exile." Lazy bastards!

This version has a little more "oomph" to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 14:27 by tatters.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 3, 2011 14:40

Great!!
Still my favourite Who album!

"Townshend tops Tommy" as the NME titled way back in the 70's . .

Date: June 3, 2011 15:02

slewan
The WHO needs money - obviously. Must be frustrating to be / to have a band that is not able to produce something new, feeling the urge to recycle old stuff, put in in box sets and ask for horror prices. It's better to burn out than to fade away etc etc.

btw: if you wonder what box sets should and could really be like: check out Bob Dylans "biograph box set" from 85 and especially his "Tell Tale Signs" (Bootleg Series vol. 8) from 2008

troll

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 3, 2011 15:52

cc
what's the current preferred edition?

I'm pretty sure that the '96 remixed version is the only currently in print. Daltrey's vocals are a bit low in the original mix and were turned up in the '96 remix.

Like Dark Side of the Moon, Quadrophenia is ideally suited for a 5.1 mix. I'll need to set up a sandbox in the mancave to make a fake beach where I can get the full effect of the sea sounds surrounding me!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 3, 2011 16:06

slewan

Biograph? a handful of outtakes mixed among a crap load of material you already have for a big price tag. Hardly a great example of decent product.
The bootleggers put that one to shame the same year with "Tens of Swords".
That is what Biograph could/should have been like.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 3, 2011 17:19

Hello,

Just listenend to sides 1 and 2 of the album at a not inconsiderable volume whilst cooking a chilli up...you'll be hard-pressed to find a more dense, savage and at times brilliant piece of work. And The Who weren't too shabby back then either...wa-hey!

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but here is an interesting wee interview with Mr. Ron Nevison who was the album's engineer:

[www.furious.com]

Time to put more Guinness in the fridge...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 3, 2011 19:23

My hope is that a live concert from 73 is included. There are two shows on Wolfgangs Vault right now of Quad Live, and it would be cool if they could mix them together to give us a complete 73 Quad show (with two songs missing: Helpless Dancer, dropped by the time these two shows were recorded, and The Rock, dropped before the US leg of the tour).

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 3, 2011 19:24

Wonderful news! Pete's Quadrophenia demos are phenomenal.
The demo version of Love Reign O'er Me is almost as good as the final version they released.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 3, 2011 22:42

vancouver
i'm a great who fan (1964-1972), ! but i think this album is not so good..

sorry, but that makes you not a great who fan

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 4, 2011 00:57

Too good to be true...amazing news,I´m really looking forward to this release,
great news,thanks for posting !

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home