Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot . eurovision contest
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 01:25

those who qualified from preliminary round to finals :

iceland
hungary
lithaen
georgia
finnland
swiss
russland
serbia
grikkland

aizerbaitsjan

Re: ot . eurovision contest
Date: May 11, 2011 12:35

Of course I'm biased, but it was a scandal that Norway didn't make it to the finals, imo.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 11, 2011 12:41

switzerland aka "zero points" made it to the finals! didt happen for years!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 11, 2011 12:41

those who qualified from preliminary round to finals :

iceland
hungary
lithaen
georgia
finnland
swiss
russland
serbia
grikkland

aizerbaitsjan

I can already see some hilarious voting.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2011 12:50

DandelionPowderman
Of course I'm biased, but it was a scandal that Norway didn't make it to the finals, imo.

Perhaps you had a bit too unrealistic expectations (I'm also awere of of the hype around the Norwgian song. Reality bites.)?smoking smiley

But don't worry Dandie - you will get tomorrow a chance to "pay it back" in ice hockey!grinning smiley

Anyway, I'm glad for Iceland making the finals.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 11, 2011 13:40

It's not the same without Terry Wogan.

Also in the old days (when they used to sing in their own languages and not english), having subtitles switched on could be hilarious.

I remember once it came up - "The sweater that you knitted me is always by my side".

Lovely.

I think they should combine it with "It's a Knockout now/ Jeux Sans Frontières" and have people in giant costumes racing around and falling over in the background during the singing.

Best ESC winner lyric of all time?

Ding-a-dong every hour, when you pick a flower
Even when your lover is gone, gone, gone
Ding-a-dong, listen to it, maybe it's a big hit
Even when your lover is gone, gone, gone
Sing ding-ding-dong

Those were the days (my friend).

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: May 11, 2011 14:11

Finland wins! Except Paradise Oskar has to go on first: his "alternative" eurovision entry would probably work better after people have heard about a half dozen typical contest songs

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 11, 2011 15:10

Finland's tune sure is different, but still a bit simple and
kind of boring. I think Hungary will win, although it's
not really my cup of tea either.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2011 15:21

The ESC is an orgy in bad taste these days. There are simply too many Eastern European (Semi-Asian) countries around who votes on each other. And they don't have a real orchestra any more, instead they use playback. You may ridicule the ESC but it was certainly better in the old days (60`s, 70`s and part 80`s).

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 11, 2011 15:29

Well the Nordic countries pretty much also vote on each
other so that sort of levels the playing field a bit.

Date: May 11, 2011 15:41

I don't mind the old Eastern European countries (those who participated before the fall of the Berlin Wall), but since the splitting of Yugoslavia and Soviet Union too many "new" Eastern European/ Asian countries got into the ESC. And therefore dominates it. But they do not pay for it or produce it.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 11, 2011 20:13

ABBA ...oupssssssssss what did I say smiling smiley

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:07

I'm not knocking it, but I read this article earlier today that I thought was hilarious: [www.slate.com]

Putting the Trash in Eurotrash
The Eurovision Song Contest proves that Europeans are just as tacky as Americans.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:13

Imho it's amazing that Stones fans may have an opinion about sth as mundane and vulgar as the Eurovision contest... smoking smiley

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 20:18

yeahh this contest is just a huge ridiculous joke !

Date: May 12, 2011 20:34

As I pointed out earlier, the ESC used to have s-o-m-e class earlier (1960-1985). At that time it was dominated by Western European countries. Since the fall of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, the contest has been dominatet by semi-Asian countries (former Russian satellit states). And believe me they can produce some trash! The ESC is now, and has been for 20 years or so, a formidable orgy in trash!

Date: May 12, 2011 20:59

About the concept of the word "Eurotrash". It is only Western Europe that is comparable to North America when it comes to economic terms like GNP per capita. Southern- and Central Europe isn't in that league and most certainly not the countries behind the "Iron Curtain". And the former Soviet satellite states are really Asian countries.

Date: May 12, 2011 21:31

dcba
Imho it's amazing that Stones fans may have an opinion about sth as mundane and vulgar as the Eurovision contest... smoking smiley

Claire_M
The Eurovision Song Contest proves that Europeans are just as tacky as Americans.

Well,dcba ,ya know we don't share the same point of view when it comes on politics smoking smileybut I couldn't agree more with what you wrote .smileys with beer
Although I am the one who has more "guts " to answer to the so called Claire -French 1st name BTW tongue sticking out smiley

Europeans are just as tacky as Americans.[/quote]

OK ,Claire , I DO know I am not very " tacky" on this one but i am sure many Europeans - included myself - would want to say to you "GO TO HELL,you don't know what you're talking about "

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 12, 2011 21:37

Eurovision contest is great fun and have had loads of killer-songs through the years...

OOOOHHH!!!

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-12 21:38 by Come On.

Date: May 12, 2011 21:45

Claire_M
I'm not knocking it, but I read this article earlier today that I thought was hilarious: [www.slate.com]

[culturebox.france3.fr]

BTW ,Claire M

WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THE WHOLE LINK :
[www.slate.com]
and this one as well

[www.slate.com]

AND :
[www.slate.com]

Date: May 12, 2011 21:46

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2011 21:48

Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard (though he didn't win), Lulu, The Shadows, err... Katie Price. Us Brits used to pay a bit of interest in this competition, but I'm not even sure if was actually shown on terrestrial TV here in the UK this year.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 12, 2011 22:17

This is a political thread. Close it down winking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 12, 2011 23:07

SwayStones
ABBA ...oupssssssssss what did I say smiling smiley

smoking smiley...Next week I gotta move,Miss Sway...and then I´ll keep my promise...,
hope you don´t mind,because it ain´t always easy to handle a Waterloo...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 12, 2011 23:25

Well, maybe people shouldn't take ESC too seriously. Usually there are at least few good songs. And hey, The Stones recorded Back To Zero! That's worse than many of those ESC songs I've heard smiling smiley

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: May 13, 2011 09:37

the Brits think everyone else takes it seriously... not true! Irony is not always obvious outside of your own culture, most years I couldn't tell UK entries apart from the former Iron Curtain countries except for the language or accent, but I don't pretend to understand the thinking behind either.

Date: May 13, 2011 18:04

SwayStones
Claire_M

[culturebox.france3.fr]

BTW ,Claire M

WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THE WHOLE LINK :
[www.slate.com]
and this one as well
[www.slate.com]
AND :
[www.slate.com]

I did post the whole link. Dude, the article (which I did not write) was just a joke. It's obvious the guy is a Eurovision fan. Don't take it as an attack on your nation. But yes, the term "Eurotrash" is polarizing and I hesitated to include that. Sometimes comedy goes too far.

Date: May 13, 2011 18:59

Claire_M
I did post the whole link. Dude, the article (which I did not write) was just a joke. It's obvious the guy is a Eurovision fan. Don't take it as an attack on your nation. But yes, the term "Eurotrash" is polarizing and I hesitated to include that. Sometimes comedy goes too far.

Claire _M , it seems I didn't read your whole post & and didn't see the link you had already posted ,sorry about it .
I assume it's because I was a bit carried away by your
<<Europeans are just as tacky as Americans.<<cool smiley

I suppose too that it's not a coincidence if another French man had the same feeling concerning what you wrote.
Some American bashers-whom I am very far to be ...- could say -in French -something like : "C'est l'hôpital qui se fout de la charité " ,that is to say if I am not mistaken "It s the pot calling the kettle black" ,or " people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"? since they could say that all the crap -series,soaps , reality shows ? - all come from America, and so do these kinds of contests ...

I cannot say that ,though, tongue sticking out smiley because even if I never watch soaps-OK,I watched a bit of Melrose Place but I was so young then ....- & reality TV,I am addicted to your series -like DHW,CSI,House etc

Cheers,Sway .
PS :It sounds funny to me how some people can call another woman "dude" I thought it is strictly refering to males and girls tweak out when you call them one. In French you wouldn't call a girl "mate" or " man" .
It's just the language barrier I suppose .
BTW,- but here it's getting too personal - do you know that Claire as a firstname is very Frenchy smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:37

DandelionPowderman

Well, as soon as I heard this...

... I thought of this:

Don't think there's been a more blatant rip-off of any song in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Well maybe if you say ABBA and then listen to this:

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 13, 2011 20:47

SwayStones
Claire_M

Claire _M , it seems I didn't read your whole post & and didn't see the link you had already posted ,sorry about it .
I assume it's because I was a bit carried away by your
<<Europeans are just as tacky as Americans.<<cool smiley

I suppose too that it's not a coincidence if another French man had the same feeling concerning what you wrote.
Some American bashers-whom I am very far to be ...- could say -in French -something like : "C'est l'hôpital qui se fout de la charité " ,that is to say if I am not mistaken "It s the pot calling the kettle black" ,or " people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"? since they could say that all the crap -series,soaps , reality shows ? - all come from America, and so do these kinds of contests ...

I cannot say that ,though, tongue sticking out smiley because even if I never watch soaps-OK,I watched a bit of Melrose Place but I was so young then ....- & reality TV,I am addicted to your series -like DHW,CSI,House etc

Cheers,Sway .
PS :It sounds funny to me how some people can call another woman "dude" I thought it is strictly refering to males and girls tweak out when you call them one. In French you wouldn't call a girl "mate" or " man" .
It's just the language barrier I suppose .
BTW,- but here it's getting too personal - do you know that Claire as a firstname is very Frenchy smiling bouncing smiley

But of course I know Claire is a French name, bien sur! I do apologize for calling you Dude, I assumed (very wrongly) that you were of the male persuasion. And it wasn't me who said, "Europeans are just as tacky as Americans," that was part of the title of the Slate article, written by a British person. Blame the Brits! smiling smiley Everyone is tacky these days I guess; mass culture is generally very low.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home