Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Taylor Compensation For Reissue Of GYYYO and Exile And L&G
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 1, 2010 22:05

Rocky, If this is indeed "the situation" Stones stopped paying him in the early 80's, and everything I've read/heard says it is, then your calling him a idiot
for not doing something about it, aren't you?

He has what he has for management, doesn't want to go to battle, legally with
the Stones unless he has to with what that would cost in legal fees before it would be settled, and your talking years...

Taylor hasn't been chasing the star-light so to speak, so I would think he isn't
hooked-up with any kind of top-notch management.

Now I'm not trying to say he doesn't think he would have a case against the glimmer twins, think he knows what a shot-in-the-arm to his career a sit-in
with the Stones would do for him right now..

MLC

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 1, 2010 22:28

Taylor, could easily make a very decent living with his undoubtable talent as a rock guitarist, In my opinion, he has wasted too much time with his own band - the majority of his songs are dreadful attempts at blues and his singing leaves a lot to be desired. He's not Clapton, although I'm sure that if he did a album of old blues covers it would sell better than his current output. A wasted talent in every way. There is no doubt he earned enough to have set himself up quite comfortably. He chose a different path, and to be fair to him, he has stopped moaning about his royalties etc - this wasn't the case in the 80's.

Date: September 1, 2010 22:29

Harm - Why do you think that wouldn't be an "intelligent" question?

To see if he's getting compensated for the re-release of an album & movie he
was in?? Who better to answer the question and I bet he would answer it if asked..

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 22:32

Mice - Once again you don't know what your talking about with alot of your points..

MLC

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 1, 2010 22:34

MCDDTLC
Harm - Why do you think that wouldn't be an "intelligent" question?

To see if he's getting compensated for the re-release of an album & movie he
was in?? Who better to answer the question and I bet he would answer it if asked..

MLC

It just doesn't seem a proper question to ask at a meet & greet. He probably would agree with me now...IMO

I just would ask him if he would be so kind to sign the single Plundered my Soul

Date: September 1, 2010 22:40

They are only my opinions - not necessarily facts....what one person may find good blues another almost certainly won't and vice versa. I attended several MT solo shows in the 1980's and early 90's and to be honest I was sick of hearing him moaning on about how he should have been credited with this song and that song. I don't underrate him, in fact he is one of the best guitarists I've heard I simply feel he wasted his talent and his current music is way beneath what he could have done.

Date: September 1, 2010 22:42

Harm - That's fine

There's alot of us that feel that if Taylor isn't getting what is due to him
that maybe bringing it up will help getting it resolved..

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 22:45

Mice -he's doing what he want's to do, I agree I would like to see him more agressive in trying to hook-up with some top-notch musicians and produce more &
newer music. I really liked: A Stones Throw when it came out but he's overdue
for a new release..

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 22:52

And.... for what it's worth

Just got word from someone who is very close to the situation...

Taylor is getting NOTHING for:

A) the release of Plundered My Soul
cool smiley the re-release of Exile
C) Ladies & Gentelman

How does Jagger/Richards sleep at night knowing how they are ripping this guy off.

MLC

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 1, 2010 22:57

Thanks for the sales figures, George Licks....not horrible numbers considering the state of the industry.

Date: September 1, 2010 23:01

Buffalo - What's that suppose to mean?

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 23:04

MCDDTLC

C) Ladies & Gentelman

How does Jagger/Richards sleep at night knowing how they are ripping this guy off.

MLC

I don't despute they aint paying him MLC, but why on earth would Taylor have gone back to help out on various recordings/gigs over the years...it just doesn't add up. I bet 99% of posters on iorr wouldn't go back to work with/for someone who had ripped you off to the tune of millions of dollars. He either isn't bothered (and I don't believe that) or he has no pride and is/was so @#$%& up, he just agreed to it. Either way it doesn't put him in a good light. I would love him to do as you say and link up with some top musicians - that's where he should be, not playing the club scene and trying to write blues songs which don't cut it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 1, 2010 23:14

MLC, you're missing my point: I don't believe what you state to be fact.

Nothing against you, but let's look at what you just posted. Someone close to Taylor (presumably his girlfriend) says he's getting nothing for playing on "Plundered My Soul" and nothing for the reissued music and DVDs.

If that is so, yes MICK TAYLOR IS AN IDIOT.

I'm sure you'll call me a bad person for saying that. Well listen up:

MICK TAYLOR SHOULD COME AND WASH MY CAR AND MOW MY LAWN WHILE HE'S AT IT BECAUSE HE'S A WORLD CLASS CHUMP.

Why do I say such a cruel thing? Because it's rubbish. This isn't about his undeniable talent, this is about the fact that if Taylor agreed to set foot in a studio with Evil Mick Jagger in January for the purpose of overdubbing lead guitar on the next Stones single, I'm sure he got paid for it.

Taylor believes Jagger ripped him off on songwriting royalties.
You believe he stole ALL of his royalties.
This alleged crime has gone on for thirty years and you believe he did it again.

Seriously, if that isn't the definition of abject stupidity, what would be?

I cannot and will not believe Taylor is as stupid as you paint him to be.

Next time you talk to his girlfriend, ask if Taylor dropped his size 42 pants and bent over for Jagger, too. It's the only way he hasn't been screwed.

Date: September 1, 2010 23:24

Rocky, the only way Taylor getting anything out of the Glimmers now is not
going your route and punching them in the mouth but doing it his way. You might
not agree with it, but if one of these days their consicence kicks in and they
do chip off some cash and send it Taylor's way, that's between them. I wouldn't
call that stupid if it ends with the desired results.

Hey - but that's between them, Taylor's not stupid, he's just not a confrontational kind of person..

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 23:30

He sounded pretty confrontational at the two gigs of his I attended...prior to playing can you hear me knocking he slated the stones in a very confrontational way and seemed very bitter and twisted. Rocky is spot on, the guy has either been paid, or has rolled over like an old dog - and I think it's the former option. He's just blown the money which is fine, he's earned it so it's his to spend on what he likes.

The Stones paid for Ronnie Lane's medical bills when he was nearing the end, why would the same guys refuse to pay someone who had actually been in their band?

Date: September 1, 2010 23:34

Mice/Rocky - You guys believe what you want to believe, I believe my source who
says Taylor wasn't paid for those things listed. Only Taylor & the Glimmers know
what was discussed or promised and what has and hasn't happened.

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 23:38

Non-confrontational is fine.

That being said, I wouldn't call letting yourself being ripped off for millions for several decades to be non-confrontational nor would I call that resolving the situation "his way."

Gratefully, I believe Taylor to be not only talented, but intelligent.

I don't think he has a very good manager in terms of the gigs he plays and session he works. I believe he needs a good lawyer and a PR firm to work in tandem to resolve any issues - if there is something other than uncredited songs to be accounted for.

The fact that I think the man is intelligent is why I don't believe he's received nothing for decades including his recent "freebie" session for the Stones.

Date: September 1, 2010 23:45

Well Rocky - guess you'll only believe it from the "horses-mouth"

Ask him the next time he plays near you, then you can report back and tell me
I was right or wrong...

MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 23:56

No doubt one day Taylor will write his book...and why not, I'm sure it would be a great read and hopefully he will clarify many of the above points. I think one thing we can all agree on is his musical abilities and that we all would like to see him recieve whatever he is due. Until then we have guess work, supposition and a trickle of facts. But, @#$%& it...it keeps us from arguing over who is better, him or Ron!

Date: September 2, 2010 00:24

Mice - Can't wait to read the reviews when Ladies & Gents get's shown on 9/16/10.

Bet when some of these people see this Stones lineup live from 1972 for the 1st
time some Taylor vs Ronnie comparisons will start to fly...

MLC

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2010 00:46

< He's not Clapton>

When it comes to playing blues, slide and tastefull playing, Clapton is no Taylor..

Date: September 2, 2010 00:48

Another clarifaction point..

In regards to: Plundered My Soul - just found out Mick Taylor was paid a fee
to record his part.. so Rocky was correct on that point..

MLC

Date: September 2, 2010 01:41

Again, MLC despite my abrasive humor and generally unlikable personality, the only point I was trying to make is that Mick Taylor would not be dumb enough to get taken for a ride again. Once can happen to anyone especially when you're starstruck and think you're among friends.

Now since you have a connection to Mr. Taylor - seriously, we'd all like to see him get what he deserves. Push for him to talk to better management. Going the book route wouldn't hurt, but the guy needs to do sessions and gigs with higher profile people like he did in the eighties. I know some of the people he plays with are talented, but they're not going anywhere. Too many of them are using Taylor to land their indie record deals. They may not be ripping him off for millions, but they're still using him and he's misusing his talent. I'd love to see him backing A-list talent again and I'm sure you would too.

And as for the old Clapton or Woody comparisons with Taylor, they each are talents in their own right. Comparisons are meaningless at their level.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 2, 2010 01:45

MCDDTLC
Mice - Can't wait to read the reviews when Ladies & Gents get's shown on 9/16/10.

Bet when some of these people see this Stones lineup live from 1972 for the 1st
time some Taylor vs Ronnie comparisons will start to fly...

MLC
Well you can't compare Ronnie to '72 Taylor. Even on his best day Ronnie can't touch that. Not many others who can for that matter.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 2, 2010 04:08

Holy shit...you guys from the old MT board really hold a grudge. I gotta agree....if things were that bad, and the Glimmer really did bend him over, why would Taylor agree to come in for "Plundered my Soul?" It just doesn't make sense. The guy is a bit of an eccentric. It's more believable that whatever money he is making, he's blowing it foolishly. The guy was onstage with the Stones for a few years, for crying out loud!!!! How does he not have some money in the bank???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2010 05:13

In the end isn't Mick Taylor responsible for his own individual dealings with the Rolling Stones? I don't believe anyone on this blog actually knows the true contractual issues that exist between Mr. Taylor and Rolling Stones LLC. Mr. Taylor is far from being a wayward child, used by the evil supergroup. It certainly doesn't hurt his drawing power on the road to have a recent association with such a high profile event as the release of Exile era(ish) cuts and the DVD. It is up to MT to promote himself and nurture his own talent. We've all had to overcome things in our past. If he is/was afflicted by alcoholism, drug addiction, or a horniness for Hostess Cupcakes, then it's up to Mick Taylor to deal with those situations.

Posted by: Mooseman ()
Date: September 2, 2010 07:26

Has Mick Taylor ever truly said that he has no money or have people just assumed it because he doesn't live the way a person with money is supposed to live. Some people just don't like living the high life. Its not like the guy has anything to proove he has been there done that has the t-shirts. Some people just arent greedy and are more then happy with what they have. Personally I think this whole thing is his business.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 2, 2010 07:53

MCDDTLC knows because he keeps insisting that Taylor does everything for free! Maybe it's not Taylor that's an idiot...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2010 10:26

MCDDTLC

C) Ladies & Gentelman

MLC

They sleep well.
I guess they never really forgave him for leaving the Stones,
Cannot believe he's not getting paid a dime for the A,B,and C you mentioned.
Taylor was a big part of C, so he must get some artist royalties?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 2, 2010 14:57

If the exile reissue has sold over 200,000 copies Taylor as a songwriter on Ventilator Blues gets 1/3 of royalties for that song which can not be much. Lets say he gets 30 cents per record for that song not very much.

play that guitar boy

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home