Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Taylor Compensation For Reissue Of GYYYO and Exile And L&G
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 31, 2010 19:20

MT has to be getting compensated for all the reissue stuff correct please do not tell me he cashed out for sum lump sum payment. That may be true for studio records but for the live recordings for YA YA's and DVD of L&G he would have to get paid.

play that guitar boy

Re: Taylor Compensation For Reissue Of GYYYO and Exile And L&G
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2010 20:00

Did you read it or is this your own opinion?

Date: August 31, 2010 20:26

I have no idea that is why I am asking. I sure hope he gets something and does not get screwed a second time around for some compensation.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: August 31, 2010 20:35

I think Mick T did not become an official member of the Stones until after Allen Klein obtained the rights for the pre-1970 Stones recordings. If so, then no money for Mick T for GYYO.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 31, 2010 20:36

Not sure he could get paid very much even if the Stones wanted too...Now that the Stones and most rock
bands are not selling as many albums, etc. these projects are not too likely to make him or any of the STONES
a lot of cash...
Money now seems to be in touring, tv ads, etc...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: Taylor Compensation For Reissue Of GYYYO and Exile And L&G
Date: August 31, 2010 20:43

thanks dancingmisterd - that sucks I mean MT's solo on strat cat blues is one of the best unknown dirty bluesy solos in the history of rock and roll. That solo alone should be played as you enter the rock and roll hall of fame

So he would have a chance on some compensation for the DVD L&G - his likeness is all over the DVD right. We all know is not RW LOL.

play that guitar

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 31, 2010 20:58

Somebody should ask Mr. Taylor at the next meet & greet after one of his concerts.

MLC

Date: August 31, 2010 21:13

i dont think so because of whatever deal the glimmers made with him in 1981

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 31, 2010 23:06

Does anyone know how sales are for the reissued Exile?

I heard a number back in June that had it at something like 44,000 in the US...but I have no idea if that is true.

Date: September 1, 2010 00:15

Greek - No deal was made - they just stopped paying him...

MLC

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: September 1, 2010 02:24

o

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-01 03:26 by misterfrias.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 1, 2010 05:49

I know I should know better, MCDDTLC but let's look at this once more.

The Stones stop paying Taylor in 1981 or thereabouts.
He goes through some bad times trying to make a living as a working musician over the next 30 years.

He still shows up to play with Keith on TALK IS CHEAP.

He still shows up to play on "Plundered My Soul" when Jagger calls.

And they still don't pay him.

Conclusion: Mick Taylor is a brilliantly talented conjugal idiot.

I don't believe this conclusion, but if what you're saying is true then every manager, girlfriend, and drinking buddy must have robbed this guy blind every second because there's never been a bigger idiot in the world.

Again, I do not believe Mick Taylor to be an idiot.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2010 05:54

Good point. And I doubt that Bill got suckered either, or he'd damn well mouth off about it.

Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: Taylor Compensation For Reissue Of GYYYO and Exile And L&G
Date: September 1, 2010 09:40

OpenG
thanks dancingmisterd - that sucks I mean MT's solo on strat cat blues is one of the best unknown dirty bluesy solos in the history of rock and roll. That solo alone should be played as you enter the rock and roll hall of fame

So he would have a chance on some compensation for the DVD L&G - his likeness is all over the DVD right. We all know is not RW LOL.

play that guitar

Dirty? It´s majestic. Utterly clean and fantastic, imo. Keith´s solos are dirty - Taylor´s are like a fountain of clean water smiling smiley

Date: September 1, 2010 11:09

Rocky Dijon

He goes through some bad times trying to make a living as a working musician over the next 30 years.

I don't believe this conclusion, but if what you're saying is true then every manager, girlfriend, and drinking buddy must have robbed this guy blind every second because there's never been a bigger idiot in the world.

Taylor lived in the US in the 8-tees, played with various well known musicians, did his own gigs, etc etc.
I think he earned more money then most working-class people,..till date.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 1, 2010 12:00

Surely if he got healthy, a new set list, decent bookings and put some effort in MT would easily make a crust.

You can even release new music simply enough without a record deal via the internet?

The fans boards alone would keep him in tea n toast

I suspect MT is reasonably happy with his lot.....

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 1, 2010 12:03

The worlwide sales of the new Exile will probably generate some cash for all the participating Stones, including Bill and Mick T

Will Mick T receive a %age of the sales or a one-shot sum for the overdubs, that is the question.

Only someone able to read the contracts between Mick T and i don't know who (RS records, or any other corporation build up around the band's holding) could have the answer...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 1, 2010 12:36

At some point in the last 25 years I would have thought Mick Taylor's lawyers must have negotiated a fee for the mechanicals for future digital releases of Stones material from when he was in the band. This would probably take into account the recent Exile reissue.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 1, 2010 14:50

If there is some kind of deluxe reissue of Ladies And Gentlemen... I'm sure whoever here who gets that kind of stuff will buy it and perhaps that is how the Stones will make money.

I'd think he might get a little bit but we're talking maybe $1000, not millions. The DVD won't sell for shit commercially: it'll sell well as an indie music film, it'll sell shit for being The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 1, 2010 15:19

"The DVD won't sell for shit commercially: it'll sell well as an indie music film, it'll sell shit for being The Rolling Stones"

Love it!

Just like the EOMS sold badly eh......

Why do the stones bother?

Date: September 1, 2010 15:51

Sales have fallen off, but it's all relative. Every album since TATTOO YOU has been a commercial disappointment for what came before. Yet compare those same sales figures to many of their contemporaries (The Kinks being a perfect example) and they would have killed to sell what UNDERCOVER or DIRTY WORK or any of the other releases sold. The same is true today with the diminishing returns in the digital download era. It may be a fraction of what came before, but it's still more than what many other well-known artists can pull in.

Date: September 1, 2010 16:15

Didn´t B2B sell quite well?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 1, 2010 16:19

Rocky Dijon

Whatever has been said . .
I've been thinking the same for years!

Date: September 1, 2010 17:03

Rocky - Taylor like Ronnie has said when interviewed on the subject.

"Jagger/Richards will take care of this issue".. Sounds like a agreement between friends, Taylor want's to remain friends so he hasn't sued, that would burn the bridge.. Think I remember him saying he was told that it will be taken care of..
sooner or later.. Supposely someone heard Jagger tell Taylor at the KC gig in 1981
"yeah I know we need to take care of you, money-wise" or something along those lines..

Ronnie echoed the same line when asked about song writing credits, or lack of
" this situation will work itself out.."
MLC

Date: September 1, 2010 18:06

Ronnie has said repeatedly that the only way to insure songwriting credit is to demand it up front. He bemoans the fact that several tracks such as "Down in the Hole" where he didn't fight for credit up front as he did with "Dance," "Black Limousine," "No Use in Crying," etc. Chuck Leavell followed Ronnie's advice with the much-maligned "Back To Zero" demanding a credit when he was asked to play a keyboard sequence again because it sounded "nice."

As for your Taylor quotes. Seriously, 36 years of broken promises and the guy's worried about burning bridges? Again, if this were true he's the easiest touch in the world. Hell, I'll go to England and take him for all he's worth, too. Want to join me? Sorry, but I'm not buying. Is he owed more than he received? Sure, quite likely. The story has to be more complex than we know. There's no way he walked away 29 years ago content that they'll pay him again one of these days.

Amsterdamned, Mick did do well as a session man for part of the eighties, but he also had some bad times and since the eighties he's definitely been out of the limelight until "Plundered My Soul" brought him some well-deserved attention. He's not living like he did when he was touring with Dylan in the early eighties, certainly. He's not getting phone calls from names like Joan Jett any more, either. Hopefully the renewed attention from the EXILE releases help him out. I think the guy's had crap management. Anyone with his talent should be doing sessions with the likes of Robert Plant, Van Morrison, etc. and making a name for themselves as one of the tastiest session players around. He should not be playing bars.

DandelionPowderman, I believe BRIDGES sold about half of what VOODOO LOUNGE did and that sold less than half of what TATTOO YOU did. That's what I meant about diminishing returns. That said platinum albums or even gold albums would be welcome to many artists. You can guarantee that the EXILE reissue, STONES IN EXILE DVD, and LADIES & GENTLEMEN DVD will sell a helluvva lot more copies than one of Taylor's solo albums. For one thing, they'll actually have proper distribution and the label will pay for advertising and endcap displays in stores. Even if it's only a fraction of what they would have earned twenty years ago, there still ahead of the curve. That's what I meant about the level of success being relative.

Date: September 1, 2010 20:02

<DandelionPowderman, I believe BRIDGES sold about half of what VOODOO LOUNGE did and that sold less than half of what TATTOO YOU did. That's what I meant about diminishing returns.>

ok, but did VL sell half of what Steel Wheels did? BTW, I think TY sold more than twice of what VL did.

Date: September 1, 2010 20:43

Rocky - Think what you will, YOU trying to do business with Taylor is alot different than Jagger/Richards. Although Taylor would like to have the additional
$$ the Stones could provide, he has been making out on his own, again he considers
the Stones his friends and must think he can work this out between them. That's
their business. Don't need to call anyone names..

MLC

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 1, 2010 21:17

The Exile re-issue has sold 192,000 copies so far in the U.S. while "Exile Rarities" has sold 38,000.
Combined sales for both are 230,000 copies.

Worldwide, Exile has sold close to 600,000 copies since May (about 110k in the U.K.)

The Stones In Exile DVD has sold 50,000 copies so far in the U.S. certified Gold by RIAA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-01 21:23 by georgelicks.

Date: September 1, 2010 21:22

MLC, I think Taylor is amazingly talented and worthy of greater success. He's a musician, not a business man. I believe he could benefit from a better manager who could help his career more. That's not me. It's not any of my relatives or friends. It's just an observation.

As for the situation with the Stones, I don't have any insider knowledge. I believe it has to be more complex than we know. That's as it should be. I doubt Taylor wants the world knowing his affairs any more than the next person. That said, I just can't believe he would let himself be ripped off for three decades and do nothing to rectify the situation. I said that would make him an idiot and I said I don't believe him to be an idiot. I didn't call him names or put him down.

DandelionPowderman, I believe worldwide sales were posted here a couple days ago. In the US TATTOO YOU sold over 4 million copies. VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS both sold over 2 million. BRIDGES TO BABYLON sold over 1 million. A BIGGER BANG shipped over 1 million, but only sold around 600,000 copies. That is the US only. My point which is pretty obscure at this stage was that even with the shrinking market for Stones CDs and DVDs, it's still more money than many of their contemporaries will see. Hopefully, it's more money than Taylor has seen in awhile, too. I also hope it helps bring him to greater attention.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 1, 2010 21:23

MCDDTLC
Somebody should ask Mr. Taylor at the next meet & greet after one of his concerts.

MLC

That wouldn't be a very intelligent question, would it?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home