Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
How Much Does Blondie Actually Play Onstage?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:17

I know Blondie plays acoustic and more recently electric guitar onstage with the Stones and is kept in the background, but certainly not hidden even in professionally edited concert films. How much guitar does he actually play onstage?

Reading some posts critical of Keith on here, you'd swear Blondie is playing guitar on every track and mainly electric. Unless my eyes deceived me on the 2005-2007 tour, Blondie only played on a few songs and played more acoustic than electric. My impression was he was allowed to join in and fatten the sound. I didn't feel he was a guitarist with the band so much as a back-up singer not restricted to percussion for musical expression like Bernard.

There are people here who have seen far more shows than me and people who were backstage or close to the stage at multiple shows. Can we get an honest answer on this instead of just snide remarks that Blondie is the band's new guitarist?

Re: How Much Does Blondie Actually Play Onstage?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:18

From which band is Blondie?

Date: August 25, 2010 17:20

In the event you're not putting me on, I mean Blondie Chaplin, ex-Flame, ex-Beach Boy, and Stones sideman since 1997.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:21

having a chat with Stonesdoug at the Cabbage Patch in London prior to one of the Twicks gigs in '06....we having a good laugh about about this...Doug says "you know that Blondie is covering for about half of Keith's parts these days," to which I reply, "so, who's covering the other half??"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:22

OK hadn't heard of that sideman...

Date: August 25, 2010 17:27

StonesTod, do you really think Blondie played on 11 songs each night - and played that much of a role? I'm not arguing with you. I'm just looking for honest answers from those who would know for sure.

Come On, sorry if I sounded rude. I thought you might have been making a joke about the band Blondie. Blondie Chaplin is the South African gentleman with dreadlocks who resembles Keith. He performs background vocals with Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fisher and can be seen in the BRIDGES TO BABYLON concert DVD as well as FOUR FLICKS, TORONTO ROCKS, THE BIGGEST BANG, and SHINE A LIGHT. He sometimes can be glimpsed playing guitar onstage. Usually acoustic, but some electric. Many posters seeem to think his role as guitarist is nearly equal to Keith's and I'm trying to find out facts as opposed to just exaggerated claims - if that's what they are.

Date: August 25, 2010 17:33

i think blondie's role has increased in direct proportion to keith's diminishing abilities. it's pretty telling when you realize he's plugged in and playing (but not visible) during the b-stage...which begaon on the ABB tour....

blondie is a very accomplished guitarist with considerable chops....

Date: August 25, 2010 17:52

Agreed on Blondie's talent as a guitarist. I was impressed with his playing first on Taylor's STRANGER IN THIS TOWN CD, before that I just knew "Sail On, Sailor" and quite honestly thought he was just a Carl Wilson soundalike and didn't pay him any mind. My biggest thought about Flame was Ricky Fataar being one of The Rutles. That has changed and I now appreciate his talents.

I understand Blondie played more guitar on the last tour to cover for Keith's worsening arthritis and memory problems. Does anyone have any idea how many songs per night (does it vary based on Keith's condition) and how many songs he played electric guitar on? Obvously, I need the input of one of the people who attended many shows last tour or are close enough to the inner circle to know the truth.

I'm curious both as a Stones fan and also to know how much of the Keith-bashing is justified. From the shows I saw, I thought Blondie's guitar contributions were about as important as Mick's meaning he was in the mix, but not filling the lead or second guitar role.

Truth be told, I would have argued that Chuck's keyboards (which can often sound more like a guitar than his disparaging "plink" reputation suggests) cover more for Keith and/or Ronnie than anything else. Since STEEL WHEELS, Keith has concentrated on solos like Ronnie and Chuck has largely carried the rhythm (along with the brass on the songs where they're featured). That's my take on their live sound, so I'd be interested in the truth of Blondie's actual guitar playing and it's importance. About the only time I felt Blondie was leading the band was on "Nearness of You" on the LICKS tour. Again, I'm not a musician or expert, so I'm looking for others' input here.

Date: August 25, 2010 20:29

I´ve seen Blondie live. He is an ok guitar player at best. What really impresses me is his singing. He´s got this sore, signature sound in his voice.

Blondie´s role in the Stones, as far as guitar playing goes, is just to make the sound a bit richer. He is certainly not doing any of Keith´s parts as stated above.

Blondie does some nice acoustic fills on the 4 flicks/live licks version of Nearness Of You, but he is not carrying that tune. Keith does.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2010 20:37

Blondie is playing way more electric guitar on his goldtop gibson les paul than a lot people realize.

Date: August 25, 2010 20:37

DandelionPowderman
I´ve seen Blondie live. He is an ok guitar player at best. What really impresses me is his singing. He´s got this sore, signature sound in his voice. .

i've mentioned this before on the board - in 1979, as part of the Butterfield/Danko Band - Blondie put on a rock'n'roll guitar clinic - maybe the single best performance by any guitarist i've ever seen (and i've seen alot of the greats). not sure if his chops are still up to that standard. i mentioned the particular gig to Blondie when i had a chance to briefly chat during the licks tour - he asked what gig it was and when i told him, he reponded, "yeah, that WAS a good one."

he's more than just an "ok" or "competent" guitarist....

Date: August 25, 2010 20:42

Guess you caught him on a good day then smiling smiley

Date: August 25, 2010 20:56

better yet...how much do they pay him?

Date: August 25, 2010 21:40

Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 25, 2010 22:05

The Greek
Blondie is playing way more electric guitar on his goldtop gibson les paul than a lot people realize.

Back in 2002 (Licks Tour) when I was waiting on line for my wristband at The Wiltern, a guy in front of me claimed to be either a guitar tech or roadie for Blondie back when he was with The Beach Boys. He went on and on about how great a guitarist Blondie was, and how he was still friends with him, etc. - and I distinctly remember him saying, "You know he plays a lot of Les Paul up there...you just don't see him!"

I sort of dismissed what he was saying at the time, but, in retrospect, he was likely telling the truth to some degree. Surprising to me, however, that this might have been going on as far back as 2002!

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:05

Rocky Dijon
. How much guitar does he actually play onstage?
quote]
Too much!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:30

agree that this is a topic prone to conspiracy-think and unsubstantiated claims. So you'd need someone fairly close to the inside to really say. I recall him being often onstage without a guitar... so was a third party covering for both him and keith? And what to say when there are still gaffes in the playing? Can't have it both ways of saying "keith can't play anymore" and "keith DOESN'T play anymore."

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:34

Seems to me that Keith quit rythmically driving the songs on stage a LONG time ago.
Whether is Chuck or Blondie, both to a degree.

But basically Keith just tacks up licks here and there.

It seems like he still drives the standards like Brown Sugar and Start me up.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:36

Blondie is "..okay at best"?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:42

I would like to know about that too!

He first came to my attention in his BB's Holland days. So I found it great when years later Keith brought him into the Stones.

Beside back-vox and percussion he's been doing some electric guitar like on JJF and more acoustic. His contributions grew over the last tours but he's still not playing guitar on every song.
With all those "crazy" people here someone should have made a list about his Stones work already!

@ StonesTod
Never heard about that Butterfield/Danko Band. Sounds very interesting! Who else played and what was Blondies role? Any Recordings?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 25, 2010 23:55

Rocky Dijon
I know Blondie plays acoustic and more recently electric guitar onstage with the Stones and is kept in the background, but certainly not hidden even in professionally edited concert films. How much guitar does he actually play onstage?

I remember reading a posting on here a few years back from someone who has side stage seats and could see "behind thge curtain" and claimed that at times when Blondie was offstage, he was actually backstage playing guitar. If true, I found it disappointing.

Date: August 26, 2010 00:08

While possible I also heard rumors in the seventies about the band having to use roadies to play guitar because Keith and Ronnie were so out of it. It's up there with Mick is bald. I'd believe it if so many mid-seventies shows didn't offer proof of them being wasted and playing. Sort of how I feel about Blondie. Third guitar I can accept. If he's playing Keith's role, why doesn't it sound better?

blondie
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: August 26, 2010 00:49

Good question,actually.
I wonder the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 01:47 by ManuelStones.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 26, 2010 01:20

HalfNanker
Rocky Dijon

I remember reading a posting on here a few years back from someone who has side stage seats and could see "behind thge curtain" and claimed that at times when Blondie was offstage, he was actually backstage playing guitar. If true, I found it disappointing.

Its quite clear if you're in the front few rows but off to the side. Saw him sitting at the back of the stage playing electric guitar on the opening song (JJF) at Glasgow in 2006. It wasnt 'behind the curtain' as such. There were probably a few other songs as well, but I wasnt paying that much attention to what he was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 01:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2010 01:27

Don't think she plays, just sings.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 26, 2010 04:49

My take on Blondie's guitar contribution is that he's the steady, constant and reliable guitar part for the on-stage sound.
I'm not sure if I've ever heared him through the PA - I guess he is "somewhere" in the mix but I'd rather be interested in the stage monitor-mix.

I noticed that when Keith or Ronnie play their special featured licks and run the stage they get turned up real loud on the outside.
if that was the case with the onstage sound (boosting K & R's guitars) that would have to lead to confusion with the rest of the band.
so he's the steady counterpart for Darryl, Charlie, the brass section and Chuck - Mick and the backing vocals also but to a lesser degree.
it leaves the freedom for Keith and Ron to do their ad lib licks & riffs or just to goof about. hehe

Date: August 26, 2010 04:55

Some very good responses and a very good Debbie Harry photo. Thanks on both counts.

Date: August 26, 2010 06:21

I've always suspected this, and without even hearing all the stories above, believed that he contributed in a fairly significant way. Didn't really think it was that much until recently-the Bigger Bang tour. I'd be very disappointed to find out he was playing a lot on the Licks tour-which is the last time I thought Keith and Ronnie played really well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 26, 2010 07:51

When Waddy Wachtel plays the Joint on Monday nights, I usually go see him. When he is joined by other guitarists on stage, he will often play Bitch. It is just about the only song that Waddy relinquishes the lead to the other guitarists. I have seen him do this with at least 4 different guitarists and Blondie, by far, does the best job. Next to Taylor, I have never heard the song sound so good. BTW When Waddy plays JJF, he does it with the propper beginning. This clip does not do it justice.

value="

?fs

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 26, 2010 14:27

Blondie is playing on stage. He is not playing any of Keiths parts. Keith still has more gaps in his playing the latter tours and they may have felt the need to fatten the sound a little. I wouldn't call it covering for Keith though...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home