Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How did your "musical taste "change -from when you were a teen 'till now -
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:32

I am wondering how many of you will still enjoy my posts after reading some of this ....cool smileybut be honest & fair !!!

When I was a very young teen -11/13 - I used to listen to :
-The Rubettes ... I was crazy about Alan :-)
-The Osmond Brothers ..don't know why
-Mr Sinatra -I do know why because my father had many vinyls & I still enjoy listening to it.
-Procol Harum 'A Whiter Shade of Pale"
-Classical music ...A LOT ,especially Gershwin

-Patrick Juvet :"Sonia " & Dave :"Vanina" -I was crazy about them ,too cool smiley
(Back on these days,I didn't know that both of them were gays )

-Billie Swan -I can help-

Hopefully I came once on this "France Inter" radio ALICE COOPER concert ,called "Welcome to my Nightmare "

I liked it !

It really DID it for me because that evening I discovered & found out what Rock 'n' Roll is .
Some months after that , I "met" the Rolling Stones ..I was done and forever addicted .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 18:38 by SwayStones.

Re: How did your "musical taste "change -from when you were a teen 'till now -
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:45

The first time my tastes changed were when I stopped listening to the Beatles, Donovan, and the Monkees for the Stones, Hendrix and the Allman Brothers.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:49

Never changed..I only really liked sports when i was a young teen...Until i saw the Stones on tv
in 1972...Then i was hooked on the Stones and never cared for anything else...
I'm still hooked on the STONES...And now i'm old!! ha..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:51

SwayStones
I am wondering how many of you will still enjoy my posts after reading some of this ....cool smileybut be honest & fair !!!

When I was a very young teen -11/13 - I used to listen to :
-The Rubettes ... I was crazy about Alan :-)
-The Osmond Brothers ..don't know why
-Mr Sinatra -I do know why because my father had many vinyls & I still enjoy listening to it.
-Procol Harum 'A Whiter Shade of Pale"
-Classical music ...A LOT ,especially Gershwin

-Patrick Juvet :"Sonia " & Dave :"Vanina" -I was crazy about them ,too cool smiley
(Back on these days,I didn't know that both of them were gays )

-Billie Swan -I can help-

Hopefully I came once on this "France Inter" radio ALICE COOPER concert ,called "Welcome to my Nightmare "

I liked it !

It really DID it for me because that evening I discovered & found out what Rock 'n' Roll is .
Some months after that , I "met" the Rolling Stones ..I was done and forever addicted .

and since then? surely your tastes have evolved since then?

Date: March 23, 2011 18:54

i'm not sure my tastes have changed as much as my attitude and open-mindedness have....there's pretty much nothing out there i won't listen to at least a couple of times and there's not much out there that i haven't enjoyed for what it is. it's when you close your mind about art and music that you miss the chance to enjoy them....i think there are a lot of rockn'roll fans who aren't giving other/all forms a fair chance...or maybe they are just rock'n'roll fans and not really music fans, per se....

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:55

13/14: "New metal" bands...Limp Bizkit, Korn, SOAD, etc. (I know, they're terrible), and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

14/15: The Strokes' first album, then through them I found about the Velvet Underground. Everytime I discovered a new band I started doing some "research" to find about who influenced them. I started listening to a lot of 60's rock. The Who & The Beatles.

17: Led Zeppelin, I became a blues fanatic...later I discovered Bob Dylan & The Band, then I guess came the Stones, Let It Bleed, and that was it.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 23, 2011 19:00

My favourite music is the same as I listened to as a toddler in the mid 60s (I was born in 1963); early Beatles / Stones, Dave Clark Five, Hollies & (via my parents' records) Elvis, Hank Williams, Fats Domino & Del Shannon.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: March 23, 2011 19:15

my first LPs:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Tarkus, self-titled album, Pictures at an Exhibition
Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers
John Mayall: Turning Point, Empty Rooms
Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention: 200 Motels
Leslie West & Mountain
Muddy Waters: Fathers and Sons
Chuck Berry: Best of

my last CDs:
Joe Bonamassa: Dust Bowl
Henrik Freischlader: Still Frame Replay
Barry Goldberg w/Mick Taylor: It's My Own Fault
Stephen Dale Petit: Crave
John Mayall: USA Union, Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton

so, all in all, no change at all...the blues remains the same...

yours truly
CrazyMama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 19:16 by Norbert.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 23, 2011 19:18

Not much has changed for me really..except that in the last five years or so I have gotten more into old blues and jazz from the 30's to the 60's. I owe huge debt to the Stones for that. I had to go and seek out their influences, and so glad I did.

60's and 70's blues based rock n' roll has been my bread an butter since I was 15, but I certainly don't listen to Motley Crue, Kiss, and Sex Pistols as much as I did back then. Good helping of 90's alternative rock as well.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 23, 2011 19:20

Interesting topic. I go on music "excursions" (as I call them). I usually go deep into the band/artist's catalog and immerse myself in the music for weeks at a time. Usually these are bands who's music I've only known casually...and wanted to finally get into them.

Regardless of what direction I'm venturing musically...I credit the Stones for bending my ears to enjoy many styles of music.

My history goes something like this:

Ages 5-12
Elvis
Little Richard

Roy Orbison
Chuck Berry

Rolling Stones (the big bang, for me)
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Blues (BB King, Buddy Guy, SRV)

19-22
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Ryan Adams (my 2nd big bang)
Jesse Malin
Wilco
Kathleen Edwards
Lucinda Williams
The Strokes
The Black Keys
The Bravery
James Brown
Rod Stewart

23-25
Tony Joe White
Willie Nelson
Al Green
Bob Dylan
The Doors
Neil Young
Devo
The Who
Muddy Waters
Junior Wells
The Beach Boys
JJ Cale
Talking Heads
Whiskeytown

The Faces
Herbie Hancock
Eric Clapton
Wes Montgomery
Merle Haggard
Sly and The Family Stone
Waylon Jennings
Leon Russell
Miles Davis
Kurt Vile

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 23, 2011 21:06

1st things first, when I saw the title of this post my first thought was "Cool, something interesting that might even develop into a thought provoking discussion." Then I saw that it was Sway that started it... No surprise there! Two thumbs up again for Sway! thumbs upthumbs up

Now for my answer...

Amazingly my tastes haven't changed all that much. Although some of the teenybopper pop that I listened to when I was in my single digits & early teens has gone by the wayside, much of what I was listening to by high school is what I'm still listening to today. I am lucky that both my mom & dad had good taste in music. My dad had been a DJ while in high school in the 50s and turned me on to much of the same stuff that the Beatles, Stones, etc would have been listening to in their teenage years (Dad was born in 1940). Thankfully my sister has turned into a jazz snob so there won't be a fight over Dad's old 45's - he still has hundreds.

After thinking about Sway's question, I looked at the case that I carry my "road" CDs in. This is many of my favorites that I want to make sure I have in case I get stuck in traffic, etc. Of 56 total CDs, 19 are by artists I was listening to in high school & some of those are just CD versions of the cassette copy I owned as a kid. The other CDs, while they may be by artists that I hadn't yet discovered while a teenager (the Stones included) are not stylisticly very different from what I was listening to then.

The biggest change that could be illustrated would be both the broadening of my listening and the quest for the source... When I was a kid, there was lots of blues influenced rock & roll & just plain rock & roll. While those styles are still in abundance, there is also A LOT of pure blues, soul music, classic r&b, etc.

While I do have to suffer through the "flavor of the day" pop, metal, rap crap that my kids and students bring me, I find that, for my own listening, almost everything can be traced back to the influences of people like Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Louis Jordan, Ray Charles, Jimmy Reed, James Brown, Motown, John Hammond, Stax.

Great Question Sway! I like it when I actually have to think! Looking forward to other's answers.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 23, 2011 21:19

No offense Mr DJA, but you really drive around with 56 CD's in your car? Still? Dude, that's so 1990's. Time to get a freeking ipod, mate. You could be driving with all the Stones songs ever recorded and anything else you would need. (yes it can easily be played thru your car stereo speakers)

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 23, 2011 21:49

No offense taken lettingitbleed...

Yes, I have a notebook full of CDs and yes, it is so 90's - Thank God I'm not stuck in the 80's with cassettes! I won't deny that there is a part of me that would love to have an I-Pod big enough to hold everything but I have a couple of problems on that end... Kids and computer time... At my house I'm 5th in line to get on the family computer which might as well make it off limits. Add to that the one time that I did attempt to use a borrowed MP3 player and ended up with my daughter's playlist rather than mine... Not good. I will eventually evolve into the 21st century and am actually hoping that it will be soon!

One thought that I had that maybe someone here could help me with... I'm pretty sure I'm getting a "smart phone" when my renewal comes up in a few months. I'd imagine that there will probably be space to put tunes on the phone itself but was really wondering if there was a service on the web where someone can store music files and access them using a smart phone for playback that way. I'm not looking for illegal file sharing types of sites, something more like photobucket but for songs?

Yes, I'm technically challenged on some levels...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 23, 2011 22:19

I am the youngest of three brothers so I began with the Classic Rock Starter Pack: Hot Rocks, Who's Next, Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, anything Beatles. For me branching out meant including Prince and the Waterboys along with Dylan.

At age 29, I moved to Athens, GA and had my ears opened to Alt-Country and old-school country: Whiskeytown, Robbie Fulks, Hank Sr, Old-97s, BR5-49, Vic Chesnutt, Emmylou Harris, Drive-By Truckers.

Age 34, I moved to Houston, and I embraced Jazz, starting with electric Miles, and then the second quartet - '64-67. Which led me back to bop, hard bop, and post-bop: Freddie Hubbard, Art Blakey, Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter. That was hardcore for about 10 months.

10 years of a mixture of all the above.

For the last six months (age 44), it's been soul jazz -- Jimmy Smith, Lonnie Smith, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Larry Young. Now beginning to explore the Young Lions -- Roy Hargrove and Christian McBride.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 22:38

Age 14:Rolling Stones (Tattoo you my first album bought)
Age 15:AC/DC, Iron Maiden
Age 16-17:Venom,Mercyful fate,Raven,Accept
Age 19-20:Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits
Age 22-23:Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Doors, Genesis,Yes
Age 24-up to now:
-Rolling Stones
-Pink Floyd
-Doors
-Genesis
-Kinks
-Stranglers
-Faces & Rod Stewart
-Xtc
-Tom Waits
-Roxy music
-Blur

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 23, 2011 22:57

When I was a teen it was a dark time for rock music (1987-1993). As a child I raided my oldest sister's LP collection since i was old enough to work the turntable (5-6 years old). This was around '79-83. I was devouring Beatles albums constantly, and some Rolling Stones (Hot Rocks, Tattoo You).

I also tore through Zeppelin, Floyd, Supertramp, Men at Work, Bob Marley, The Ramones, The Clash... by the time I was a teen in the late 80's I was already a 'rock snob' hahah!!

The Beatles were my 'go to' band untli I was about 13, then I went to The Stones and sucked up their catalouge I had missed before. By 15 I was ordering vinyl Stones bootlegs from Dr. Disc. I still listened to some modern rock as a teen, Guns and Roses, Chili Peppers, but I loathed the music taking over - 'hip hop'.

At 37 I find myself actually a lot more open minded then when I was younger. In fact I spend more time lsitening to today's indie bands more than anything, including classic rock, and especially The Stones. After being in 2 Stones cover bands in my day and soaking up everything I could, I would easily take 1-2 years off listening to them at all.

THere's too much good stuff coming out now then to continue being a stuffy 'rock conservative' anymore. Seen it, heard it... yawn. Gimme something fresh while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 23, 2011 23:01

jamesfdouglas
When I was a teen it was a dark time for rock music (1987-1993). As a child I raided my oldest sister's LP collection since i was old enough to work the turntable (5-6 years old). This was around '79-83. I was devouring Beatles albums constantly, and some Rolling Stones (Hot Rocks, Tattoo You).

I also tore through Zeppelin, Floyd, Supertramp, Men at Work, Bob Marley, The Ramones, The Clash... by the time I was a teen in the late 80's I was already a 'rock snob' hahah!!

The Beatles were my 'go to' band untli I was about 13, then I went to The Stones and sucked up their catalouge I had missed before. By 15 I was ordering vinyl Stones bootlegs from Dr. Disc. I still listened to some modern rock as a teen, Guns and Roses, Chili Peppers, but I loathed the music taking over - 'hip hop'.

At 37 I find myself actually a lot more open minded then when I was younger. In fact I spend more time lsitening to today's indie bands more than anything, including classic rock, and especially The Stones. After being in 2 Stones cover bands in my day and soaking up everything I could, I would easily take 1-2 years off listening to them at all.

THere's too much good stuff coming out now then to continue being a stuffy 'rock conservative' anymore. Seen it, heard it... yawn. Gimme something fresh while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!!!

yer a fine lad. i hope and trust that your horizons will expand even further in your 40's and beyond...it just gets better as you get older....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 23, 2011 23:11

StonesTod

yer a fine lad. i hope and trust that your horizons will expand even further in your 40's and beyond...it just gets better as you get older....

Cheers to you mate, and thanks!
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 23, 2011 23:12

in my teens I didn't have much interest in acoustic music. I was so taken with Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Motown, and electric blues, that I couldn't listen to acoustic based music, bluegrass, folk styles...
now I listen to a lot of that and go out to a lot of shows for that music..love it.

Date: March 23, 2011 23:15

mr_dja
No offense taken lettingitbleed...

Yes, I have a notebook full of CDs and yes, it is so 90's - Thank God I'm not stuck in the 80's with cassettes! I won't deny that there is a part of me that would love to have an I-Pod big enough to hold everything but I have a couple of problems on that end... Kids and computer time... At my house I'm 5th in line to get on the family computer which might as well make it off limits. Add to that the one time that I did attempt to use a borrowed MP3 player and ended up with my daughter's playlist rather than mine... Not good. I will eventually evolve into the 21st century and am actually hoping that it will be soon!

One thought that I had that maybe someone here could help me with... I'm pretty sure I'm getting a "smart phone" when my renewal comes up in a few months. I'd imagine that there will probably be space to put tunes on the phone itself but was really wondering if there was a service on the web where someone can store music files and access them using a smart phone for playback that way. I'm not looking for illegal file sharing types of sites, something more like photobucket but for songs?

Yes, I'm technically challenged on some levels...

Peace,
Mr DJA

With kids and only 1 PC in the house, I can see why that would be hard to get the time. Good news is that yes, if you get a smart phone, you can load music on that like you would an ipod. I have only used a i-phone and that works great. Only thing is, you would then still need to plug it into a PC w/itunes to load the songs! I can't speak for the Droid or other smartphones but I am sure they offer some options for you. Otherwise, you may need to kick those kids off the PC for a hour or two. Time for Daddy to get some work done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 23:22 by lettingitbleed.

Date: March 23, 2011 23:16

duke richardson
in my teens I didn't have much interest in acoustic music. I was so taken with Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Motown, and electric blues, that I couldn't listen to acoustic based music, bluegrass, folk styles...
now I listen to a lot of that and go out to a lot of shows for that music..love it.

yeah, i used to think louder was better. now louder is just...louder...which is fine if you're really not interested in actually hearing what's going on....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 24, 2011 01:09

StonesTod
duke richardson

yeah, i used to think louder was better. now louder is just...louder...which is fine if you're really not interested in actually hearing what's going on....

...I remember a soft spot for the "Sound Of Silence" when I was a teen,but
also for Sweet ( "Teenage Rampage" ) and several one hit wonders...

Stones popped in with Rolled Gold,which I listened to regularly while visiting
my elder cousin in 1975/1976...

Date: March 24, 2011 11:19

StonesTod
and since then? surely your tastes have evolved since then?

Hopefully,yes they changed but my taste for the good stuff didn't winking smiley
The band I always stayed faithfull was the Stones ,of course .
I still listen to classical music & some operas .
Then all the bands from the 70's ,the list would be long,from Led Zep to VH, Steely Dan, etc
I am not that much into jazz or let's say I am much more onto some albums.
For instance I don't isten to Keith Jarett every day but I often play the Kohln concert .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 24, 2011 11:27

lettingitbleed
No offense Mr DJA, but you really drive around with 56 CD's in your car? Still? Dude, that's so 1990's. Time to get a freeking ipod, mate. You could be driving with all the Stones songs ever recorded and anything else you would need. (yes it can easily be played thru your car stereo speakers)

I might not have 56 CD's in my car but I have at least a good 30 .
I don't have an ipod myself ,I could buy one but I would be too lazy to download the Stones bootlegs from my computer .winking smiley although I know you're right ,lettingitbleed,it must be for sure more handy & practical.

PS :Mr DJA, thanks for your kind words .

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 24, 2011 11:42

...in the words of Von Karajan: Taste is something you get after the age of 40 ... ... And therefore I think in the current situation that John Coltrane is a much better artist than Frank Zappa ..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2011 12:16

........... "Still spill my tea when I hear that King Bee" ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 24, 2011 13:31

Rockman, that picture's probably going to be me in a year or two's time...

I was brought up on a diet of pretty square 50s music - light classical, brass band music, music hall, songs from the shows and silly pop like "how Much Is That Doggie In The Window?". I enjoyed the classical and the music hall much more than the pop.

At junior school I heard some heavier classical music and learned a lot of folk songs and country dance tunes - and at the same time I was listening to my friend's older sisters' collection of rock'n'roll singles: Elvis (who I didn't like much in those days) and the Everly Brothers (who I loved).

We were not a well to do household in the early 1960s, but in my mid teens I owned two essential pieces of technology: my own transistor radio (for listening to Radio Luxembourg) and a second-hand reel-to-reel tape recorder (for making off-air recordings of the things I enjoyed). The tapes are long since unplayable, but I still have some of my lists of what was on them: the Hollies, the Shadows, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, the Beach Boys, the Kinks, the Searchers, the Supremes... but also classical pieces, folksongs, surf guitar instrumentals, Matt Monro, Val Doonican, Flanders and Swann... and the Beatles, and the Stones. A very mixed bag, and a lot less rock, soul and blues than I like these days. I wouldn't say I've stopped enjoying anything on those lists, but I've learned to like a lot of things I didn't like then (such as some - not all - of Elvis, and some - not all - jazz).

I'd say that my tastes have got broader as I've got older. I owe an enormous debt to my music teacher at secondary school, who taught us one of the most important things about music - don't dismiss anything on first hearing, or decide that you can't like something because it has a particular genre "label". She was talking about classical music, but the same rule applies to any music. I wish now that I'd applied those rules in 1969, when I didn't initially like the Stones' new sound after Brian's death, and stopped listening - but I got there in the end.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2011 13:51

Rockman, that picture's probably going to be me in a year or two's time...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 24, 2011 14:25

From a teenager til now, my tastes haven't changed. My first few favorite bands were Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, and AC/DC. I grew up in the hair metal scene, and I still love all of those acts. AC/DC are still in my top 10 favorite bands of all time. All that's changed is the amount of bands that I like smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 24, 2011 14:27

Still love the 60-70's stuff I grew up on, just expanded my horizon to include Classical, Jazz, Old Blues, etc. - so much good music, so little time!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1269
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home