Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How did your "musical taste "change -from when you were a teen 'till now -
Posted by: R ()
Date: March 24, 2011 15:34

In the '70s I worked at hippie, indie record stores so much of what was really hot I thought I was too cool to be bothered with back then. I was listening to Miles and McCoy Tyner and selling the hell out of Zep, Rush, Yes, Aerosmith and Foreigner. I STILL listen to Miles and McCoy but I've grown to love Yes, Rush, Zep and Aerosmith. I have to draw the line at Foreigner though.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 24, 2011 15:40

Interesting to see here how many people are using words like "expand, open & broaden". If I were a psychologist I'd probably see a connection with life in general. How our opinions, likes and beliefs are shaped in our childhood and then expanded and modified as we continue to age but, generally, don't radically change. As a mere observer, I find it ironic that, in this thread, many people are talking about how their listening is expanding, while in many other threads, people seem to constantly be moaning about there not being any new good music for them to listen to. I wonder if we could get those people to join this thread just to offer them some hope!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 24, 2011 15:50

mr_dja
Interesting to see here how many people are using words like "expand, open & broaden". If I were a psychologist I'd probably see a connection with life in general. How our opinions, likes and beliefs are shaped in our childhood and then expanded and modified as we continue to age but, generally, don't radically change. As a mere observer, I find it ironic that, in this thread, many people are talking about how their listening is expanding, while in many other threads, people seem to constantly be moaning about there not being any new good music for them to listen to. I wonder if we could get those people to join this thread just to offer them some hope!

Peace,
Mr DJA

good post.

there's MORE than enough good new (and old, but new to be discovered) music to last many lifetimes. i just don't understand why some people seem so closed-minded about that. i can only surmise that part of what they are into is trying to listen to the "right" music or something like that. there is no right or wrong with music - it's all there to be explored and enjoyed fully. maybe as some of us get older we drop the pretense that there is something noble about not liking something; there's not. it's just a missed opportunity to not open your mind and ears. but, like i said earlier, i suspect there are many who are not really the music enthusiasts they might think they are, but are rather in it for something else. as elmo rightly said, so little time and so much to be listened to...and that truth is exacerbated with each passing day.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 24, 2011 16:44

duke richardson
in my teens I didn't have much interest in acoustic music. I was so taken with Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Motown, and electric blues, that I couldn't listen to acoustic based music, bluegrass, folk styles...
now I listen to a lot of that and go out to a lot of shows for that music..love it.

Lots of good "string music" in your part of the world, Duke.

Bluegrass, in particular, always is better live than recorded IMHO. Guess that's true of most music.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 24, 2011 17:03

Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
in my teens I didn't have much interest in acoustic music. I was so taken with Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Motown, and electric blues, that I couldn't listen to acoustic based music, bluegrass, folk styles...
now I listen to a lot of that and go out to a lot of shows for that music..love it.

Lots of good "string music" in your part of the world, Duke.

Bluegrass, in particular, always is better live than recorded IMHO. Guess that's true of most music.

irish trad, which of course is the forerunner of bluegrass, is made for live, interactive settings and normally doesn't translate well in the studio

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:20

My first rock music memory is "Silly Love Songs"eye popping smiley my older cousin was playing the record in her bedroom . . . When I was 13 my first rock album was Ya- Ya's! smoking smileyIn High school I was heavy into the Stones, Zeppelin, and the Grateful Dead.

By college, I didn't listen to the Stones or Zeppelin; I did listen to the Dead and the music of the whole so-called grunge scene.

By 1994, I was really turned off by the Stones, I was really into lyrics and was always listening to the Beatles (mostly Lennon) and Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. It seems those cats wrote things that touched me on many levels. While Eddie Vedder sang of hope in a song called Daughter, "she holds the hand, that holds her down, she will rise above!!!!!" Jagger sang he wanted to "f*ck your sweet ass" on Sparks will fly. I watched an interview where he said on the way to the studio he scribbled out, "love is strong, love is . . ." Really turned me off, I couldn't believe how shallow the Stones had become. It was like greasy kid stuff. This past album feels that way as well . . .

Nowadays i listen to a variety of music, recently into alot of "coffe house" acoustic rock, and oh yeah I follow Pearl Jam around the country every year with my old college buddies and their wives drinking smiley . . .

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 25, 2011 05:15

It didn't change much. The fringes got wider, however.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 25, 2011 10:33

8-12: rolling stones (mainly the big 60ies hits)
12-15: hendrix, sex pistols, dead kennedys, more stones, a short but intense reggae period
16-19: acdc, metallica, slayer, grunge, guns n roses maniac, more stones
19-25: a mix of all that but no reggae
25-now: everything mentioned plus: turbnegro, gluecifer, hellacopters, white stripes getting into old blues, johnny cash

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 25, 2011 10:51

I always loved music. All different kinds of music. I grew up immersed in classical music (thanks mum!), big band jazz (dad) Rolling Stones (I do not know who bought that one cassete - rolled gold - but thank you!!!), whatever the radio played, whatevere you could hear travelling around. With the result that I have huge collection of music that goes from techno "noises" to you say what.

I can remember two "epocal" moments in my liason with music:

1) the day I got into "modern" jazz, meaning whatever came after the big band era - Tijuana Moods by Charles Mingus was the bomb that opened a new world of great music.

2) the day (years ago) I gave up my snobbish attitude towards all kinds of "pop" music: talent hides everywhere!

At the end of teh day Stonestod is right, there is just too many good music around to stick to the same old bunch or records!!!

C

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: March 25, 2011 11:03

This is a fascinating thread!

Like many others I researched the Stones influences and this got me into a whole heap of stuff. My Ipod can move from Muddy to Miles to Elvis and then come bang up to date with Adele, Kasabian and the Killers.

As for my tastes evolving, I certainly don't listen to the Stones as much as I once did; as a teenager I was obsessed. At times it was all that I listened to. I'm more selective now and have a playlist on my Ipod of my favourite 15 or 20 Stones songs.

As my life horizons expanded so did my musical tastes which are eclectic. To me, if music is good then it doesn't matter which era it is from. 1930's bluegrass to the latest urban vibe all have rdeeming features.

I'm more likely to listen to music to enhance a mood; upbeat, driven stuff for a workout or kickback music like Sinatra or King Cole when I'm chilling. I also like stringed classical for dinner parties. I wouldn't have listened to any of this as a teenager.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 25, 2011 13:38

When I was in my teens started off with the Shadows,Billy J kramer my first 2 albums,all the usual singles Beateles,Animals,Kinks,Yardbirds ,Moody Blues (Denny Laine version )and a few more like Sir Douglas Quinted,Sam the Sham and Ike and Tinaand of course The Rolling Stones.
Most were passiung phases and were dropped early on ,kept The Stones,and to lesser degree Kinks and The Animals,still have their first Vinyls and for that matter The Five Faces of Manfred Mann,bought at Boots in Liverpool on the same day as the Animals first.
Stones first album wasn't released for while after that and I still have that and all its followers too.
Then somebody at school brings in Bob Dylan ,now its just Dylan and the Stones.
Flirted briefly in late 60s early 70s with Deep Purple anbd Sabath,Stones continue to outshine everybody as does Dylan on a narrower path.
Faces are a good live band very early 70s,kept all their vinyl too.
Women become a bit more involved in my life,but still manage to see Stones at Wembley Empire Pool 73, and Earls Court 76,WHO 74 I think,Floyd same period and Bowie later 76 maybe 77 all at Wembley.
Big fall out of love ,get into pub rock semi punk live,still buying Stones and Dylan.
Late in 79 Re kindle lost love but not the same as before,lasts spasmodically till 83, she wouldn't come to Wembley with me in 82,not a good omen.
83 87 not much going on musically,Stones given up for a wont of trying,not really following Dyal either.
Get into Eurythmics for few years, meet my wife she's into them aswell,we have however nothing else musically in common she likes soul, she did come with me to see The Stones Manchester in 90 and enjoyed herself,again came to Wembley Stadium 95 and enjoyrd that too,would however not come to Sheffield in 99 or Twickenham 03,begining of the end Divorced 04.
The Stones remained a huge part of my life all through these periods and still do but as with everybody else I wish they would get their act together and give us some decent music to listen to.
I have over the years appreciated and enjoyed to a greater or lesser degree this lot as well,Black Crowes,Black Keys.Kings of Leon, Drive By Truckers,Cowboy Junkies,Deadstring Brothers too many more bands to mention.
Solo artists Lucinda Williams,Sheryl Crow,Dana Gilespie and lately Imelda May.
Still love Blues music, a bit more Country than I used to,all down in no small part to The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 25, 2011 13:59

I started with the Stones, Joe Cocker and UB40 (I was 12). In the nineties I listened to hiphop (Cypress Hill, Wu-Tang), various rock bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Kula Shaker etc) and the blues acts where the Stones got their inspiration.

Since them my taste has become more and more focused on the music from the early seventies. I can't imagin myself as a teenager listening to the Band or Delaney and Bonnie for example.

Some acts have remained important: the Black Crowes, Eels and The Stones (in that order). The hierarchy has changed though: my unconditional love for the Stones and everything related to them has cooled down a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-25 15:07 by mr edward.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 25, 2011 14:25

I don’t think my musical tastes have changed vastly since my teens – then again, I’m still only 27. If anything, I would say that my musical tastes have expanded slightly. I’m certainly far less rooted in the 60’s than I was in my late-teens. Now, I’ll pretty much embrace anything, regardless of genre or supposed credibility.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home