Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

It was forty years ago today, March 13, 1971--
Posted by: maarisathena ()
Date: March 13, 2011 10:09

Leeds University, part of the Ninth British tour, what a great show, in spite of some audio difficulties. It has become one of my favorites. Anyone else listening to GYLLO today?

Re: It was forty years ago today, March 13, 1971--
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 13, 2011 10:39

Possibly me least favourite version of 'Satisfaction' ever, but I love the rest (must admit I haven't played it in years though).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2011 13:02

"Anyone else listening to GYLLO today?"

Not really. There was a reel-to-reel version (= not sourced from boots) that was seeed at Dime by Spider Web and that's the one I'm listening to. It's not more complete than the others but it sounds warm and full.

Thx for the reminder about the date!

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 13, 2011 13:04

Thanks for reminding me.thumbs up smileys with beer

40 years blimey .

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 13, 2011 13:18

I still think it's an overrated show, famous mostly because it's widely available as a soundboard (and the Let It Rock B-side).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 13, 2011 15:01

LieB
I still think it's an overrated show, famous mostly because it's widely available as a soundboard (and the Let It Rock B-side).

Agreed, it just not the best Stones show at all. Guitars are too clean, Taylor overplays at times, and it just misses some swing. The Roundhouse is a much better show.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 13, 2011 16:17

Mathijs
LieB

Agreed, it just not the best Stones show at all. Guitars are too clean, Taylor overplays at times, and it just misses some swing. The Roundhouse is a much better show.

Mathijs

Disagree, because of the word "overrated". Nothing can be "overrated". People rate things they want to. If they rate Leeds high; then they have a reason for it.

Chalk Farms Roundhouse is a way better performance that's true. And even more so......Coventry March 6th.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2011 16:23

Coincidentally, The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East was also recorded March 13, 1971.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 13, 2011 20:11

I was at the roundhouse gig, my first Stones concert, WOW 40 years ago!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 13, 2011 21:33

pgarof

Lucky you! Please share some memories of the concert, if you have the time

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 13, 2011 21:59

Leeds 1971 gig, is a very fine bootleg, but as stated above, there were better from that tour. Incidentally, I've always lived very close to Leeds Uk and my brother attend this show (I was only 10) and I remember him telling me the next day, that it snowed really heavy and many of the audience stayed in the university all night.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:05

I like the version of Satisfaction from GYLLO. About the only time they've tried to do something different with it.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:06

pgarof

My first Stones gig as well, pgarof.

Were you at the first or second show?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 14, 2011 00:01

sweetcharmedlife
I like the version of Satisfaction from GYLLO. About the only time they've tried to do something different with it.

I agree it's nice because it's different, but in a slightly forced way. I think the '69 version (as released on the new GYYO boxset) is the ultimate live version -- perfect balance between the original song and some groovy variations and jams with a spontaneous lively feel. The way Keith turns the riff towards more funky "boogie" while Taylor plays one of his best solos ever is just great.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:11

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
LieB

Mathijs

Disagree, because of the word "overrated". Nothing can be "overrated". People rate things they want to. If they rate Leeds high; then they have a reason for it.

Chalk Farms Roundhouse is a way better performance that's true. And even more so......Coventry March 6th.

I think I agreee with you...except "Some Girls" IS overrated.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 14, 2011 07:00

Pretty good show, but the place to be on that night was the Fillmore East. The Allman Brothers Band recorded most of Live at the Fillmore East on that night.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 14, 2011 10:30

Quite a few bum notes on GYLLO, but very unique arrangements.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 14, 2011 13:31

pgarof

I was at the second show, i saw it advertised in the NME so went down to london with no money, we got the gig around 7.pm and i can remember it being very cold. i had no ticket and no money but was desperate to see them so i stood at the back door and pleaded with the doorman to let me in, i could hear the stones the whole time, did he let me in, ? NO , so i just kept on at him pleading and pleading. Well in the end he just stood back and i ran in, there they were on the stage, i pushed right to the fron, i was in 7th heaven!The last song was satisfaction (what a supprise) all I remember was Mick Jagger sweating and spraying everywhere, he got a basket of roses and threw them out into the audience, i caught one and still have it to this day somewhere pressed in a book.

I don't remember what songs they did just the ending really so although i was at the concert I was only there to see them for the last couple of songs, but for all the concerts that i have been to ever since this one stays at the front of my memory, it's hard to explain how i felt is was just a fantastic feeling.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 14, 2011 15:38

The Leeds Let It Rock is the definitive Keith Richards recording. If I were allowed just one record...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2011 19:53

I love that version of 'Satisfaction' because they were paying homage to Otis Redding's arrangement. Unlike Dylan they've shown so little propensity for different, interesting arrangments of their warhorses, that the Leeds 'Satisfaction' is kind of startling.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 14, 2011 20:17

Mathijs
LieB

Mathijs

Price 1£ pr. ticket

The question of the day - inflation adjusted, how much would that add up to?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 14, 2011 20:30

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 14, 2011 21:44

OT but The Groundhogs who opened in 71 were a damn good abnd on their own! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home