Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Phil Collins Retires From Music
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:01

Re: OT: Phil Collins Retires From Music
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:02

Who ?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:03

I can't believe how sad I feel for him after reading that.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 6, 2011 22:04

Edith Grove
Who ?

No, Genesis! winking smiley

Date: March 6, 2011 22:05

jamesfdouglas
I can't believe how sad I feel for him after reading that.

Me too (I'm not a big fan but it's still sad).

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:34

Never liked Genesis too art rock for me and Phil plain boring and MOR. You have to feel for the guy sounds like he's depressed, hopes he pulls through.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:43

I wasn't much of a fan of his solo work but he was a brilliant drummer. He seems to have a very accurate understanding of how he is perceived I must say. His comments on the music industry echo what Bowie said some years ago and I can well understand them. Good luck to him; I hope he finds other things to give him a happy retirement.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:43

Sad for him indeed

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:45

"I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

The songwriter also claims that listeners have grown "sick" of him and that there is no longer a place for him in the current music scene.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.

"I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?"

He claims that it was this success and the overplaying of his music which made people "want to strangle" him.

"It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that," he says.

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids," he says.

Building things for his kids.
Not a fan of post-Gabriel Genesis or his post 'Hello, I Must Be Going"=' material... but I want to give him a hug or something. This sounds honest, and rough.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:49

Brutal honesty from Phil. But he always was a brooding type. But as long he's keeping his kids as the top priority,that's more important than making another hit record. Best of luck Phil.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 6, 2011 22:53

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:01

Boring music but I really wish him well.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:05

Sad news. I like his music...at least some times...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:20

Wow, he's really feeling sorry for himself, isn't he? I wonder what gave him the idea that everyone hates him. Maybe he's been spending too much time reading fan comments on the Internets. Let's hope none of the Stones ever come to THIS site!

Date: March 6, 2011 23:31

If Phil can't be the toast of the MTV Music Awards, he doesn't want to be a musician at all? Is the man mentally ill? I understand about him not being able to play the drums, but he doesn't HAVE to play the drums to make music. He hasn't really had to play them since he took over Peter Gabriel's job, 35 years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 00:00 by tatters.

Date: March 6, 2011 23:40

In a related story, Billy Joel has dismissed HIS band and told them he does not plan to tour any longer. I'm not kidding!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 00:15 by tatters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:48

Great drummer but his solo albums were awful.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:52

Don;t get all the hate heaped on Phil.Sure his solo work was mostly crap but the guy did amazing things behind the drums and was also responsible for some fine music produced by Genesis.He's alright in my book

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 6, 2011 23:58

That was a sad read. I always liked Phil some of his stuff is lousy but hey so is some of the Stones. I wish him well and hope he comes back if he can.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 7, 2011 00:03

Aleluya!!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 7, 2011 00:04

The dude really was a monster drummer, and surprised everyone in the world that he had the gumption to go from behind the drumkit to the front of the stage to replace one of the most bizarre frontmen ever (Gabriel) and actually pull it off. I hated the solo pop shite like everyone else, but give the man his due.

This video is from just a few years ago. It is a drums-only piece, so those who don't like prog or genesis or his solo pop stuff can just listen to what he could do on the drums, even with these chronic conditions already manifesting. No need to listen to the whole thing (he's joined by Chester Thompson and another percussionist 2-3 minutes in), but check out that first :90 seconds if you would.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 00:08 by winter.

Date: March 7, 2011 00:32

There's got to be more to this story than what Phil is saying. Wasn't he just working on an album of Motown covers? What happened to that? Did he shop it around to the record companies? Was he told it was a piece of shit? And that the people buying Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber albums wouldn't buy it? And that they wouldn't even know who he is? Did Phil react to this news by having a temper tantrum? And did he then announce his retirement? Bitterly declaring that he would ride off on his bicycle, never to return? But only after reminding everyone how "successful" he had been? Bizarre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 00:33 by tatters.

Date: March 7, 2011 00:40

Well what do you know. I see the album of Motown covers WAS released, six months ago. Did very well in the UK, too. But only made it to #34 in the states. You think maybe that's got something to do with his retirement?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 7, 2011 00:41

tatters
There's got to be more to this story than what Phil is saying. Wasn't he just working on an album of Motown covers? What happened to that? Did he shop it around to the record companies? Was he told it was a piece of shit? And that the people buying Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber albums wouldn't buy it? And that they wouldn't even know who he is? Did Phil react to this news by having a temper tantrum? And did he then announce his retirement? Bitterly declaring that he would ride off on his bicycle, never to return? But only after reminding everyone how "successful" he had been? Bizarre.

from the end of the linked article:

"His last album, Going Back, released last year, was a collection of Motown and soul classics and topped the British charts in September."

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 7, 2011 00:43

Yawn.......

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2011 00:43

eye rolling smiley 80's crap music. Dirty Work is genius compared to this... and have you noticed that for the vid Phil hired Chuck Leavell on guitar.

Good riddance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 00:46 by dcba.

Date: March 7, 2011 00:59

I feel sorry for any young woman whose parents named her Sussudio because of that ridiculous song. Sussudio is not a person's name. Supposedly, the song was originally going to be called "In The Studio". That might have been even worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 01:53 by tatters.

Date: March 7, 2011 01:00

Okay this one aint bad...

Date: March 7, 2011 01:00

And this one's hilarious!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2011 01:44

Our prayers have been answered!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1146
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home