Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Great Cover No Expectations
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:15

Re: Great Cover No Expectations
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:42

I love Johnny Cash's version too. thanks for posting

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:45

Another great version:

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:48

Loudei

Beautifull great version, thank you for this gem.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 22, 2010 07:57

My all time favorite Stones song!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2010 21:49

I always found this haunting because it's Brian's swan song on slide and says "I have no expectations to pass this way again." I'm sure it wasn't written with Brian in mind, but it might as well have.

I could not foresee this thing happening to you.................

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 22, 2010 21:56

24FPS
I always found this haunting because it's Brian's swan song on slide and says "I have no expectations to pass this way again." I'm sure it wasn't written with Brian in mind, but it might as well have.

I could not foresee this thing happening to you.................
I agree. Especially at Rock n Roll Circus. It's very sad.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 23, 2010 17:08

The Beggars studio version is such a great piece of music!
Beautiful song with that fragile playing from Brian.

And it is a great song for films!
I remember seeing 2 (German?) films back in the early 70's. Both with haunting scenes accentuated with No Expectations. Unfortunately never saw them again and don't remember their names as well. But it's still in my mind . .

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 23, 2010 17:48

I never thought of it that way but it is a good analogy. Some folks on this board think some read too much into these things but sometimes it's fun to look at these songs in a different way.

To me, the entire band is in top form. To me, Bill's basss lines really bring forth the entire sense of loss and longing. Nicky's piano is masterful. I also love the background noise made by Brian's slide. That metallic sound.

It's a song that truly can conjure up images of places and feelings.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2010 23:43

Cafaro
I never thought of it that way but it is a good analogy. Some folks on this board think some read too much into these things but sometimes it's fun to look at these songs in a different way.

To me, the entire band is in top form. To me, Bill's basss lines really bring forth the entire sense of loss and longing. Nicky's piano is masterful. I also love the background noise made by Brian's slide. That metallic sound.

It's a song that truly can conjure up images of places and feelings.

Good point about Bill. He managed to take a repititive 3-chord progression and find a bass line that keeps evolving and keeps the listener interested. His bass on this track is one of his signature moments.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 24, 2010 04:29

I always liked the "Stripped" Outtake version, I can't believe they left that off the CD!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 24, 2010 05:09

Loudei

One of my absolute favorite Stones numbers. But done by a woman who has no business anywhere near a Stones song. Even worse than Susan Boyle.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: August 25, 2010 05:49

heheh what an azzole ... if I didnt know it was Joan Baez singing this piece I would ve said great version. I am sure its an honor for the Stones to have good performance like Boyle and Baez in their own right from different genres cover them. Tha speaks volumes... From Lemy to susan boyle thats says how good theirs songs are.

Then again you are probably from new york.

sweetcharmedlife
Loudei

One of my absolute favorite Stones numbers. But done by a woman who has no business anywhere near a Stones song. Even worse than Susan Boyle.eye popping smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 25, 2010 06:43

Loudei
heheh what an azzole ... if I didnt know it was Joan Baez singing this piece I would ve said great version. I am sure its an honor for the Stones to have good performance like Boyle and Baez in their own right from different genres cover them. Tha speaks volumes... From Lemy to susan boyle thats says how good theirs songs are.

Then again you are probably from new york.

sweetcharmedlife
Loudei

You could be right....except for the fact that your wrong.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 25, 2010 09:52

I don't know what's up your kilt sweetcharmedlife...but man that is a beautiful version from Baez, she knocks it in the pocket. Beautifully haunting...

Date: August 25, 2010 15:04

Well also the band that is playing, that is one cool groove right there.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 25, 2010 15:45

I like very very very much the Lenny Kravitz//Mick's version in Paris (live)

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: August 25, 2010 16:19

I love the (Fado) version with Anna Moura. Not the onstage version, I much prefer the backstage version (w/ a glass of wine...in her hand)-never seen anyone emote like that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home