Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thoughts On A New Tour
Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 20, 2010 16:49

The next tour will be the same as all previous.Exactly.Warhorses , B-stage.No MT or BW.And that`s fine.They will start with Sympathy For The Devil.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:04

DandelionPowderman
Shawn20
DandelionPowderman

I don't beleive Taylor or Wyman should be involved, though. They quit. As guests for one or two shows, fine. Nothing more than that.

I'm dreaming of hearing songs like We Love You, I Am Waiting, Out Of Time etc. + new songs + warhorses, of course...

This is an opinion that baffles me. The lineup of the glory years is available, but you'd rather not see them. Okay, everyone is entitled to their view. You prefer a hired, yet prolific, bassist and Blondie slashing away on guitar off stage or side stage - okay, okay.

Err, the lineup of the glory days isn't available for a full tour. Bill won't fly, and Taylor has health issues. Brian is dead.

As I said, for a few shows I would be delighted to have the old lineup, but not for an entire tour. That's certainly not the same as "I won't see them". Go misquote someone else.

Didn't mean to misquote you DP. So, if you could only see the Stones one time on the next tour - would you personally want to see a lineup with Taylor and Wyman?

Date: August 20, 2010 17:25

Shawn20:

Didn't mean to misquote you DP. So, if you could only see the Stones one time on the next tour - would you personally want to see a lineup with Taylor and Wyman?

From a nostalgic point of view, maybe I would. However, the lineup would never be without Darryl, Chuck and the rest of the "Vegas guys" for the entire show, even though Taylor or Bill should be invited for doing certain shows, imo.

What I would like the most is The Rolling Stones on a stage, stripped to the bone - without hired hands. No flash, just the music. We got that (almost) on Julliard. But I don't know if they can pull it off anymore.

So, it's not a question of for and against. It's not black and white.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 17:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:32

Shawn20
DandelionPowderman
I think they have to give us something special this time. I'm hoping for a more steady show, focusing on the entire band's career. That means playing some more obscure songs from each era.

I don't beleive Taylor or Wyman should be involved, though. They quit. As guests for one or two shows, fine. Nothing more than that.

I'm dreaming of hearing songs like We Love You, I Am Waiting, Out Of Time etc. + new songs + warhorses, of course...

This is an opinion that baffles me. The lineup of the glory years is available, but you'd rather not see them. Okay, everyone is entitled to their view. You prefer a hired, yet prolific, bassist and Blondie slashing away on guitar off stage or side stage - okay, okay.

Baffling indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 17:34 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:38

saulsurvivor
If they tour again, I'll be there.

The Beach Boys comparison is absurd. The Stones are still juiced up and sloppy on any given night.

Yeah, the 2007 leg raised some eyebrows in a bad way, but I see a ton of live music every year and I can honestly say the Stones can still bring it with the best of them. The last time I saw them was a (very) cold Chicago night in 2006, and they kicked some serious ass.

To me, the main question is Keith. If they DO tour,and the early reviews point out that Keith is having problems, then I'll adjust my expectations accordingly.

But, this much I can say, honestly:

I liked the shows I saw in '89.

I liked the shows I saw in '94 more.

I liked the shows I saw in '97 more than '94.

I liked the shows I saw in '99 more than '97.

I liked the shows I saw in '02 more than '99.

And, I liked the shows I saw in '05/'06 more than '02.

So, I'll be there next year regardless. Every tour since '89 has been getting faster, looser, and somehow, tighter and sloppier. And that's the way I like my Rolling Stones.

Well said indeed!
In fact I like to add that again and again and again and again I only read the comments about the stones not performing,overpaid, high prices etc. Well, take this it is the current status they deserved!

The Stones are the Stones, there is no other band, whether they are working as a company or a band, that existed so long. So eventhough these guys have collectively an age of a 1000 years, for me they still are the GREATEST ROCK AND ROCK BAND OF THE WORLD - WELL SAID SAM CUTLER!

I've seen the band since '82 and still enjoying every time I see them. The exitement of getting the tickets, the day the concert is planned, the moment they hit the floor and the goosebumps when the show is over.

My advice to all thos critics, stop wining start enjoying or else get a L I F E !

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 17:40 by Urban Wheel.

Date: August 20, 2010 17:48

Urban Wheel
saulsurvivor

The Beach Boys comparison is absurd. The Stones are still juiced up and sloppy on any given night.

Yeah, the 2007 leg raised some eyebrows in a bad way, but I see a ton of live music every year and I can honestly say the Stones can still bring it with the best of them. The last time I saw them was a (very) cold Chicago night in 2006, and they kicked some serious ass.

To me, the main question is Keith. If they DO tour,and the early reviews point out that Keith is having problems, then I'll adjust my expectations accordingly.

So, I'll be there next year regardless. Every tour since '89 has been getting faster, looser, and somehow, tighter and sloppier. And that's the way I like my Rolling Stones.

Well said indeed!
In fact I like to add that again and again and again and again I only read the comments about the stones not performing,overpaid, high prices etc. Well, take this it is the current status they deserved!

The Stones are the Stones, there is no other band, whether they are working as a company or a band, that existed so long. So eventhough these guys have collectively an age of a 1000 years, for me they still are the GREATEST ROCK AND ROCK BAND OF THE WORLD - WELL SAID SAM CUTLER!

I've seen the band since '82 and still enjoying every time I see them. The exitement of getting the tickets, the day the concert is planned, the moment they hit the floor and the goosebumps when the show is over.

My advice to all thos critics, stop wining start enjoying or else get a L I F E !

I can go with this up until '06. They really were playing poorly at the end of that tour compared to 2002 certainly. Especially Keith. Concerns about his ability to play and the other guitar player's ability to lay off the sauce long enough to play decently are legitimate and not "whining".

Date: August 20, 2010 17:51

71Tele
Shawn20
DandelionPowderman
I think they have to give us something special this time. I'm hoping for a more steady show, focusing on the entire band's career. That means playing some more obscure songs from each era.

Baffling indeed.

Could have been, if that was what I said. But it wasn´t. Read my other posts smiling smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:58

paulywaul
<<< let those of us who like it enjoy it without bugging us about past memories and gone days ... >>>

No truer thing said. Fine words indeed.

if you truly enjoy something, how can that be affected by what someone else thinks?

Date: August 20, 2010 18:15

StonesTod
paulywaul
<<< let those of us who like it enjoy it without bugging us about past memories and gone days ... >>>

if you truly enjoy something, how can that be affected by what someone else thinks?

I get tired of saying this, but here I go again: To compare and contrast the quality and level of the Stones' playing over the years, particularly when they have built up such a high standard (why we all liked them in the first place, right?) is not necessarily to "complain" or to deny those who enjoy the current version their pleasures. My advice would be to stop being so sensitive. "Past memories" are cherished by many here, and worth discussing. I don't see how it is "bugging" anybody to talk about them.

Date: August 20, 2010 18:28

71Tele
StonesTod
paulywaul

I get tired of saying this, but here I go again: To compare and contrast the quality and level of the Stones' playing over the years, particularly when they have built up such a high standard (why we all liked them in the first place, right?) is not necessarily to "complain" or to deny those who enjoy the current version their pleasures. My advice would be to stop being so sensitive. "Past memories" are cherished by many here, and worth discussing. I don't see how it is "bugging" anybody to talk about them.

i agree. it's the same problem some ppl seem to have that when they hear criticisms of the band, they feel personally attacked, as though they must somehow defend their "heroes" or their "hero worshipping" or something.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 20, 2010 18:41

Don't read too much into it ... I just happen to become a bit irritated with certain subject matter, much as BV also appears to be, that's all. We all have our likes/dislikes of threads/subjects, y'all too no doubt.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 20, 2010 18:57

24FPS
My guess is that they would never call it the Last Tour. They'll let everybody else call it that. They might integrate the 50th anniversary idea. Bill has already shot down the idea of another tour. If Mick Taylor was involved I think it would be for limited dates. When did ABB end? The late months of 2006? I think they've gone away longer than usual because of the economy and that insignificant 'Shine A Light' project kept them out in the public eye longer than they prefer. They've always kept a limited profile until it's time to tour. With that in mind, there will be a 4-5 year span before they hit the boards again.

August 26, 2007.

Its only three years next week. So, it'll be four by the time they tour again.

Not a huge gap normally, but when you're in your late 60s, with questionable health and with three of the four band members having barely performed in public since, thats VERY significant.

Dont see why SAL would have detained them for too long. They filmed the shows in 2006, it was released early 2008 and its not as if they were involved in any part of it after the actual concerts save for 4 movie premieres and a couple of interviews.

The economy is certainly a factor in their inactivity, but I think everyone's quickly forgotten that Keith has had a few more important things to deal with nearer home in the last year.

Date: August 20, 2010 18:59

paulywaul
Don't read too much into it ... I just happen to become a bit irritated with certain subject matter, much as BV also appears to be, that's all. We all have our likes/dislikes of threads/subjects, y'all too no doubt.

I get irritated too, but maybe different subject matter than you and bv.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 20:55

71Tele
Urban Wheel
saulsurvivor

Well said indeed!

I can go with this up until '06. They really were playing poorly at the end of that tour compared to 2002 certainly. Especially Keith. Concerns about his ability to play and the other guitar player's ability to lay off the sauce long enough to play decently are legitimate and not "whining".
ya know , without Ronnie the stones would have been up a creek without a paddle on the abb tour. ronnie was the most valuable rolling stone .keef had his injury when he fell and his ever worsing arthrtis(well documented ,just look at any photo of his hands and fingers very easy to see)everybody beats up on ronnie because he is the junior member of the stones and it's blashphemous to dare say anything about our keith but just the facts maam as sgt friday said .just check and tour video or better yet listen to boots from the abb tour the tapes dont lie .ronnie covered a lot of the parts that were not being covered .so if anything ,if i were ronnie i would be looking for more money as compensation for all of my work and being there for the team (stones).HE DESERVES IT AND SOME RESPECT AROUND THESE PARTS .HE IS NOT SOME JAMOKE!!!!!!

Date: August 20, 2010 20:59

tg, my buddy - i love ronnie as much as the next guy - but there were many instances where ronnie was mailing it in during the ABB tour...and other times where he was playing, but one would wish otherwise....he had some decent moments, but the tour hardly represented the "best ever ronnie"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:09

They have performed in large venues since the 70's and 80's and they have performed JJF and satisfaction and a bunch of other great songs for decades. Don't expect TNRS to go on tour next year. There is nothing like The Next Rolling Stones. The band is the current one like we know them. Don't ask an old dog to sit down. They will do what they are great at and I will be happy with that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:10

StonesTod
tg, my buddy - i love ronnie as much as the next guy - but there were many instances where ronnie was mailing it in during the ABB tour...and other times where he was playing, but one would wish otherwise....he had some decent moments, but the tour hardly represented the "best ever ronnie"
you are being very fair as opposed to others .that's all we can ask for .

Date: August 20, 2010 21:21

The Greek
StonesTod
you are being very fair as opposed to others .that's all we can ask for .

my parents raised me to be kind, sensitive, caring, nurturing, polite and respectful. they really sucked at it, though....

Date: August 20, 2010 21:55

The Greek
71Tele
Urban Wheel
saulsurvivor

Well said indeed!

ya know , without Ronnie the stones would have been up a creek without a paddle on the abb tour. ronnie was the most valuable rolling stone .keef had his injury when he fell and his ever worsing arthrtis(well documented ,just look at any photo of his hands and fingers very easy to see)everybody beats up on ronnie because he is the junior member of the stones and it's blashphemous to dare say anything about our keith but just the facts maam as sgt friday said .just check and tour video or better yet listen to boots from the abb tour the tapes dont lie .ronnie covered a lot of the parts that were not being covered .so if anything ,if i were ronnie i would be looking for more money as compensation for all of my work and being there for the team (stones).HE DESERVES IT AND SOME RESPECT AROUND THESE PARTS .HE IS NOT SOME JAMOKE!!!!!!

Respect is earned. When he has played well, he has gotten respect, deservedly so. When he plays poorly or phones it in, or is too inebriated to play, he deserves criticism. If anything, he has gotten a free pass here from many whose boundless personal affection for him obscures a multitude of musical sins. I agree that Keith is not judged by the same standard, but Keith is Keith, and he has created all this stuff. He is the Originator, and nothing he can do in the future can take away from his accomplishments. Wood is not in the same league, sorry to say.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 20, 2010 22:27

I'm sure the early shows will be sold out but once the critics start to disect the shows and the set lists make their rounds many people will rethink attending and some shows will be less than full.

You can only see a magician do the same tricks a couple of times before becoming bored and impatient for something new.

How about switching up the schedule, a summer US Tour or even tour the European venues first and close the tour in the US, preferably in winter in arenas.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home