Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pat Adams :The Rolling Stones , June 29, 1972: Nashville Tennessee
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:12

[www.tennesseeconcerts.com]

The long-awaited concert by England's No. 1 rock group, the Rolling Stones, is over now, but the memory of their Nashville visit is sure to live.
More than 9,600 persons jammed Municipal Auditorium Thursday night to watch the group, lead by gravel-voiced Mick Jagger, perfom for 90 minutes
proceeded by soul singer Stevie Wonder and the Dorothy Norwood singers. The Stones, as they are affectionately know, sent out for three "barrels" of
Kentucky Fried Chicken before bouncing on stage and causing the audience to stand on their chairs. A tidal wave of shouting erupted and Mick Jagger was
suddenly jumping up and down like a jumping jack.
Without delay the band struck up. And there's no denying it was the raunchiest, flashiest, most exciting rock and roll band in the country. The sound was deafening but apparently delightful. Jagger gyrated
throughout the show dressed in a one-piece membrane-thin silk jump suit, white shoes, lavender
sash, and a denim jacket. He kicked it off with one of their most popular songs "Brown Sugar" and the crowd didn't sit down until the show was over at 10
p.m.. Metro Police officers were on hand, at least
100 strong, and they had their share of headaches.
Several incidents occurred during the show.
One young girl, who was unidentified, apparently took an overdose ofsomething and passed out on the Fifth Avenue North sidewalk minutes before the show
began. She was admitted to General Hospital. Traffic
Sgt. Gane Bryant was attempting to make his way
through the smoke filled auditorium when he said he
felt someone grab for his pistol. "I looked down and
my gun holster was unbuckled." Patrolman Joe Hays
said he had to stop one teen-ager with a flying tackle
after the youth had kicked open a side entrance door
and let four of his friends inside. Hays said he
chased the youth up three ramps in the auditorium
and finally grabbed him and tossed him out. More
than 200 persons showed up at the auditorium
expecting to see the performance, but were refused
admittance when it was learned they had purchased
counterfeit tickets. As it turned out, the tickets were
printed for the same seats and everyone had bought
seat number D-E3-5. "It is a shame," said Joe
Sullivan, head of Sound 70 Productions, which
brought the show to town. "They came here from all
over, but we cannot let them in." Sullivan said most of
the phony tickets originated in Louisville, Russellville,
and Bowling Green Kentucky. Members the press
were prohibited by the Rolling Stones private security
force, from interviewing the stars, taking pictures,

Known as "The Worlds Greatest Rock & Roll
Band", the Rolling Stones concert began at 7:00
with opening acts the Dorothy Norwood singers
and Stevie Wonder.
The Stones took the stage soon afterwards,
beginning the show with their latest hit "Brown
Sugar". They continued to play the hits until
10:00, with Street Fighting Man, being the last
song, and no encore. This concert was unlike any
concert that I had attended at the time, with an
exceptional stage and light show.
They did however, decide not to play the early
60's hits on this tour, including their biggest hit
"Satisfaction"

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Pat Adams :The Rolling Stones , June 29, 1972: Nashville Tennessee
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:45

I guess the Dorothy Norwood Singers were a gospel group. It seems strange to not hear this mentioned before. Did they use local groups at the different stops? Did the DNS play with them at other gigs?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:55

Thanks for posting Sway... Fun to read about a show from just a bit west of where I live.

Also, since I'm refusing to post anything in the "Egypt Reporter" thread (though I am reading it), I'll post my plea in this thread that you don't leave the board over what's going on over there. Your posts are some of the most thoughtful around this place and I'd hate to see you go. Of all the days that bv seems to be busy with something other than IORR, it has to be the day that thread goes up. I can only hope that no one's feelings get hurt to badly and that we don't lose the Stones community we've got going here.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: February 16, 2011 23:32

I was there [my first Stones' show] standing on first balcony level right behind Keith and Bill !!
It cost an outrageous $12 to get in.
I had purchased tickets after standing in line at the box office, but also won 2 tics from a local radio station [had to be first person to the station with a drawing of what the Stones' logo looked like].
I sold the extra tics to a couple of gals who had come down from West Virginia without tickets.
I hope they enjoyed the show as much as I did.
The DNS must have been the back up singers for Stevie.
I don't recall any other acts beside Stevie, and I was there as soon as I could get in the door [but that desn't mean there wasn't one smiling smiley
SwayStones, thanks very much for posting this, brought back some fun memories !!

Date: February 17, 2011 00:02

Hey, here's some info on the night before - Tusca-LEWWWW-sa Alabama!

First Stones show, very very young that nite, I was.

I remember the DNS came on first, and there was a big hub-bubbery amongst the crowd because Mick was hiding in the wings, or attempting to, watching their performance.

Stones In Tuscaloosa 1972

Date: February 17, 2011 00:05

Oh, here's a repro of the concert poster:

Tuscaloosa Advertisement

And more links for Nashville media reports:

More Stoned In Nashville 1972

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:14

"Barrels" of Kentucky Fried Chicken!
That's my favorite part.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:19

Jagger must have been really into gospel during this time...he had attended Aretha Franklin's appearance at Bethel that spring.

Date: February 17, 2011 10:25

gmanp
I was there [my first Stones' show] standing on first balcony level right behind Keith and Bill !!
It cost an outrageous $12 to get in.
I had purchased tickets after standing in line at the box office, but also won 2 tics from a local radio station [had to be first person to the station with a drawing of what the Stones' logo looked like].
I sold the extra tics to a couple of gals who had come down from West Virginia without tickets.
I hope they enjoyed the show as much as I did.
The DNS must have been the back up singers for Stevie.
I don't recall any other acts beside Stevie, and I was there as soon as I could get in the door [but that desn't mean there wasn't one smiling smiley
SwayStones, thanks very much for posting this, brought back some fun memories !!

Well,gmanp, thanks to YOU to share these memories with me.smiling smiley
I am longing to hear more about these years,because after 1972/73 the Stones weren't the same and I am a bit jealous that I wasn't able to see them live at this time.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: February 17, 2011 10:40

mr_dja
Thanks for posting Sway... Fun to read about a show from just a bit west of where I live.

Also, since I'm refusing to post anything in the "Egypt Reporter" thread (though I am reading it), I'll post my plea in this thread that you don't leave the board over what's going on over there. Your posts are some of the most thoughtful around this place and I'd hate to see you go. Of all the days that bv seems to be busy with something other than IORR, it has to be the day that thread goes up. I can only hope that no one's feelings get hurt to badly and that we don't lose the Stones community we've got going here.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Did you already live here when the Stones played in Nashville in 72 ? Did you see them or were you too young for that -or even not born yet ,I don't know smiling smiley

Thanks for your kind words,mr_dja

Yes, my feelings got hurt by some posts I could read on the Egypt thread .
I cannot believe that some people here can be so full of hate and ignorance towards Muslims and Jews.
Sorry to say,but I wouldn't want to share a drink one day after a Stones show with some of this people just because they are Stones fan like I am.sad smiley

I am digusted that I used to find some people pleasant and kind before they showed their "real" face by posting propaganda videos ....they know who they are .

Take care,
Sway

Date: February 17, 2011 10:51

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan

I remember the DNS came on first, and there was a big hub-bubbery amongst the crowd because Mick was hiding in the wings, or attempting to, watching their performance.

What is a "hub-bubbery " ? You mean a crowd movement or something ?

Date: February 17, 2011 16:35

SwayStones
UnderAssistantWCpromoMan

What is a "hub-bubbery " ? You mean a crowd movement or something ?

Yeah, just an excited acknowledgement that people spotted him. I remember everyone pointing and whispering "Look - there's Jagger!!! There's Mick Jagger!!!"

I was so young then, that is one of the few "real" memories from the show. That, plus the mention in the news reports of the guy who got so excited he jumped onstage and was gone in a flash - never even really got to see the Stones!

Jaggers entrance and launch into "Brown Sugar", one of the few tunes I knew at the time, is memorable as well as when my dad put me on his shoulders during "You Can't Always Get What You Want", which I knew because he always claimed that was his fave Stones song.

Tuscaloosa used to get some awesome concerts back in the 69-73 era. Hendrix, Joplin, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin, Neil Young & The Stray Gators, and countless others, all graced the stage of the college stadium. Which is not bad for a tiny little cow town!

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: February 17, 2011 16:44

Interesting article.

Many thanks, SwayStones!

Date: February 17, 2011 17:56

SwayStones

Did you already live here when the Stones played in Nashville in 72 ? Did you see them or were you too young for that -or even not born yet ,I don't know smiling smiley

Thanks for your kind words,mr_dja

Yes, my feelings got hurt by some posts I could read on the Egypt thread .
I cannot believe that some people here can be so full of hate and ignorance towards Muslims and Jews.
Sorry to say,but I wouldn't want to share a drink one day after a Stones show with some of this people just because they are Stones fan like I am.sad smiley

I am digusted that I used to find some people pleasant and kind before they showed their "real" face by posting propaganda videos ....they know who they are .

Take care,
Sway

Sway... I'm in your group where, unfortunately, I was to young to catch the Stones in '72 (I think I saw you say that in another post). I'm still kicking myself for not buying tickets in '89 while Bill was still in the band. Unfortunately I was a poor college student at the time and figured I'd catch them on the next tour... I did finally get to see them in '94 but Bill had left the band by then.

I actually saw the Stones in Nashville on the Bridges tour. Fun show but COLD! Late October is not a good time for an outdoor show in Tennessee. Drove to Memphis, TN (about 6 hours from where I live) to see them on the Bang tour which was cool as it was the smallest show they did on that leg of the tour. I'm still hoping for one more tour as my kids are now all old enough to go. Crossing my fingers for a show in either Nashville or Atlanta as Knoxville would just be to much to hope for!

smileys with beer Here's to hoping that your bruises from yesterday's Egypt thread are healing rapidly & that someday you and your friends/family will be able join me and mine for a drink and some Stones tunes!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 18:08

A gospel quartet opened for the Stones in Houston 1972 as Stevie Wonder's bus broke down.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 17, 2011 18:17

envy doesn't run in my bloodstream; but the one exception is those that got to see the band in '69 and '72. i hate these ppl with a passion.

Date: February 17, 2011 19:22

Hey Mr. dja
I was at the Nashville BtoB show too, it was a dandy huh? I loved every minute of it ! Great, great sound from where I was seated.
I seem to remember Ronnie progressively putting on heavier jackets as the cold air moved into Nashville.
The Stones had to be through by 10 p.m. or the city was gonna fine them something like, well, can't remember, but it was several thousand a minute for every minute they went over. Some kind of neighborhood restriction regarding concert 'noise' after 10 p.m.
They didn't go over smiling smiley
Mick made a funny comment about the show being so early, do you remember what it was?
They came through Nashville in '65, but I couldn't afford the $6 ticket sad smiley
I really regret not getting to see them with Brian.

Date: February 17, 2011 19:48

gmanp...

I absolutely remember Ronnie with the heavier & heavier coats! I can't remember Mick's comment about the earliness of the show but do remember that when Ronnie started doing jumping jacks (for warmth) during the band introductions, Mick made a comment about that being the most he'd ever seen Ronnie exercize. Good times!

I'll bite my tongue regarding my jealousy of you being able to have to decide whether to see them in '65... I too would have loved to see them with Brian but wasn't born until just three weeks before he died. I'll just send you bit of empathy as I do know what it feels like to not be able to afford the ticket... Mine was just 24 years later than your's and I ended up missing Bill with the band as opposed to Brian... Ahh regrets...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 17, 2011 22:04

Reviews of the show: [www.iorr.org]

Wow, my memory is going, looks like they had to be done by 8 pm !!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:20

Great article! I was also at the Nashville 97 show = it was my first Stones show. Great times. It was a little cold but I was so excited I couldn't even feel it.

Date: February 17, 2011 22:49

I forgot it was THAT early. Age will do that though. Thanks for attaching the link to the review. Good memories. Noise ordinance has a lot to do with the particular neighborhood the stadium/campus is in. A lot of VERY OLD Nashville money is within walking distance of that stadium. We're talking pre-country music industry money. Those families have SERIOUS pull in Nashville.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 22, 2011 09:48

gmanp
Reviews of the show: [www.iorr.org]

Wow, my memory is going, looks like they had to be done by 8 pm !!

Do you mean the concert had to end before 8 ? that early ?confused smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home