Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Worst weather conditions the Stones have ever played in ....
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 18, 2010 09:41

They're known among other things for not giving up easily when the weather is shite .... "the show must go on" kinda thang, but can anyone recall any particular shows where even by their resilient standards it was somewhat extraordinary that they still played ?

I was at Sheffield on the ABB tour, and it did rain some there for sure, I recall Mick in the pink raincoat on the B stage and Keith wearing his Confederacy cap, Ronnie also had some funky headgear on as well, but there's been far worse I've no doubt. Didn't they once play India or somewhere in the far east during monsoon rains, where they were onstage barefooted ? Or am I mistaken ?

I bet BV has a few recollections ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 09:42 by paulywaul.

Re: Worst weather conditions the Stones have ever played in ....
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2010 09:48

Nijmegen in June 2007 wasn't too great. It had been super humid all day and then a thunderstorm and torrential rain hit the site as Van Morrison was on stage. He lasted a few songs only.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:12

Madrid, 1982. There was an incredible storm that is still remebered by them. I wasn't there, but have heard keith Richards talk about it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:16

yeah, there's a video clip of Madrid 82 that looks like only the Rolling Stones - and their fans -
would have the spirit to carry on in that

edit: found it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 10:18 by with sssoul.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:18

A few come to mind:
The Hague, 1998
Bangalore, 2003
Chicago, October 2006

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:22

Paris, Longchamps 1995 heavy rain
Munich , 1998, storm

Date: August 18, 2010 10:31

[ waving at keefed :E ] and that reminds me:
Budapest 2007 was the hottest day in history or something, wasn't it?

Date: August 18, 2010 10:31

erikjjf
A few come to mind:
The Hague, 1998
Bangalore, 2003
Chicago, October 2006

That must be the one I'm thinking of .... Bangalore. I saw a clip off some boot DVD, there was Lisa jumping around during Gimme Shelter absolutely sodden and in bare feet !!

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:35

Bergen, Norway - rained a lot, but our guys played even the b-stage. GREAT spirit. smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2010 10:39

Let's not forget about the cross-fire hurricane!

Date: August 18, 2010 10:45

with sssoul
[ waving at keefed :E ] and that reminds me:
Budapest 2007 was the hottest day in history or something, wasn't it?

I think Beast & BarRoomQueen & Kahoosier were there for that one, I recall getting texts from them describing the heat ... indeed t'was a tad warm !! Wasn't it something insane, like about 40 deg C ?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:15

Yes, Budapest was at least 40C.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:17

The boot of the Bangalore show wasn't called Dripping Away for nothing...

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:20

I was at Sheffield 99 and it rained pretty much all the way through, B stage was cover up with plastic for most of the gig untill they came over the bridge.
I was right at the front of the B stage and they were in fine form dispite the weather true troopers.
If I recall the Wembley 95 sunday show had rain plus thunder and lightning, not sure but I don't think the Black Crowes did a full set because of the weather, the Stones of course did.
Ah those halcyon English summers

Date: August 18, 2010 11:28

>> Yes, Budapest was at least 40C <<

it felt even hotter than that! but yeah, according to [en.wikipedia.org]
"the highest temperature ever recorded [in Budapest] was 40.7° C on July 20 2007"
and sure enough, that was the day the Stones played ... "good to see you ~ good to see anyone" :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 11:30 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:40

Silver Dagger
Nijmegen in June 2007 wasn't too great. It had been super humid all day and then a thunderstorm and torrential rain hit the site as Van Morrison was on stage. He lasted a few songs only.

Yeah, Nijmegen was quite an "experience": I'd been really looking forward to seeing Van Morrison. And the moment he went on stage it started to rain. I guess I only caught a few glimpses of him and then we all disappeared under a huge tarp. And lucky we were, as there were many who didn't get any cover... I saw them standing out there in the heavy rain for nearly 90 long minutes. Then the Stones went on and the sun broke through again. Afterwards there were huge clouds of steam rising from the field. Sadly it hadn't been a hot show exactly, but one of their worst performances on that tour. If there had been a title for that show it should have been called "The Big Drop" ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 13:21 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 18, 2010 11:41

The wettest shows that come into my mind - two shows I attended.
Bangalore 2003. Bergen 2006. India and Norway. But Bergen in particular was a brilliant show musically, but the audience was so much in awe, they were paralysed.People were gazing, with their mouths open, pinching their arms. Not screaming and applauding to the extent that I'd expected.
Unfortunately there aren't any boots on cd or dvd from this very fine show in Bergen. I've tried to get my hands on boots from that show for 4 years almost (it was September 1st 2006), and had no luck.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 18, 2010 12:31

I'd take a rainy day in Mumbai over that freezing cold day in Chicago any time.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 18, 2010 13:09

Addicted
The wettest shows that come into my mind - two shows I attended.
Bangalore 2003. Bergen 2006. India and Norway. But Bergen in particular was a brilliant show musically, but the audience was so much in awe, they were paralysed.People were gazing, with their mouths open, pinching their arms. Not screaming and applauding to the extent that I'd expected.
Unfortunately there aren't any boots on cd or dvd from this very fine show in Bergen. I've tried to get my hands on boots from that show for 4 years almost (it was September 1st 2006), and had no luck.

There was once a YouTube video of the opening JJF (and very good it was too!) - I even had it bookmarked, but guess what?

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by ABKCO"

snarl mutter curse mumblegrumble moan groan...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 18, 2010 14:01

Budapest was a great gig.Front of stage and plenty of free water and ice cream.Plenty of water from big hoses and Mick throwing from bottles into the crowd.The heavens never opened up and it stayed hot! hot !hot !! >grinning smiley<

Date: August 18, 2010 14:25

I attended The Hague 1998. How does it compare to Nijmegen 2007? I heard so muh about it, that it seems to have an almost legendary, even iconic status... But as I exprienced it, the Hague '98 was pretty legendary too. that's why I ask...

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 18, 2010 14:34

Rain is one thing, but cold, wind and snow are something else. Therefore, I nominate the Chicago show in October 2006 as the most horrific weather the band has played in. This was a brutal day. People were giving tickets away out front. That wind off the lake was mean and nasty. Decent show though.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 14:48

Jersey Meadowlands 94

Date: August 18, 2010 14:55

filstan
Rain is one thing, but cold, wind and snow are something else. Therefore, I nominate the Chicago show in October 2006 as the most horrific weather the band has played in. This was a brutal day. People were giving tickets away out front. That wind off the lake was mean and nasty. Decent show though.

<<< People were giving tickets away out front >>>

Yikes !!

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: August 18, 2010 15:59

Don't know about that. Worst weather in a Stones song though must be "Hurricane".

Posted by: stonezone9 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 16:10

Once we saw them at the Vet in Philly where it rained excessively throughout the show. About an hour into the show I realized that I was jumping and dancing in knee deep water on top of lots of wires.
I decided that if anything went wrong, like electric shock, I would die HAPPY!

Posted by: RITA ()
Date: August 18, 2010 23:21

Paris and Slane Castle in 2007, rain and cold weather...sad smiley..

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 18, 2010 23:50

filstan

indeed. Rain is pretty mild compared to ARCTIC cold. It was 20 degrees at best--with a wind chill of ten below.

I have no idea how we all did it---but have no idea how they performed under those punishable conditions.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:26

i was at slane. not great but upper 50's with light rain, which did stop for the stones. the wind messing with the sound was worse. plus, the walk into slane was ridiculous. easily two miles on a mud path in the woods. and that's not counting the two mile trek from where the buses parked to the front entrance gate. with people everywhere stepping to the side of the road to take a piss. but somehow, since this was ireland, it made it unique and charming. there is no show i loved traveling to more.

was also at chicago on oct 11, 2006. earliest it has ever snowed in chicago. 35 degrees with a stiff 20 mph wind in your face the entire show. after an hour you just wished the show was over. pure physical misery. nothing compares.

Date: August 19, 2010 03:05

I was at their Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada show in the autumn of 2006 and there was a real storm blowing. I was up on-stage, way up overhead in the balcony, looking down on the stage area and the wind and rain were practically peeling the skin off me. But give the guys credit - they spent lots of time right out there in the wind and rain. They shortened the set by one song and later were quoted by the press as giving a great performance. Keith himself said the same thing...crossfire hurricane indeed.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home