Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

2 questions for the experts - (Keith interview / Early demos)
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 21, 2013 16:22

Couple of questions:

Anyone remember seeing a interview with Keith from the early 80's where he was playing his guitar and showing the interviewer how a few different songs were played? I seem to remember him playing "The last Time" and playing his part and then Brian's part. I believe there may have been a few other songs also. Maybe this was on MTV or something similar! Love to see it again...

Also, seem to remember reading somewhere that Mick and Keith were playing guitars together at one of their homes on Cheyne Walk around the time of Let it Bleed. I think maybe they were writing songs for it in their back garden. Are their any boots of this in existence maybe along the lines of the "Lost Lennon Tapes"? Or has anything ever surfaced of very early demos of them composing at home at anytime? These very early recording have surfaced for both Lennon and McCartney and would be interesting to here similar.

Re: 2 questions for the experts - (Keith interview / Early demos)
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 20:02

The early 80's Keith could have been from Friday Night Videos on NBC back in 86 I believe. Paul Schaeffer from Letterman was the host and I remember Keith playing 19th Nervous Breakdown and mentioning it was from Diddley Daddy.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 21, 2013 21:03

Yeah, thats something that jumped out at me long ago. Just listen to "Diddley Daddy" of the boot(or Grrr bonus disc now!) and it's the same intro as "19th" slowed down a bit..(or 19th the same juiced up a bit!)

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 21, 2013 21:06

there are a few snippets of KR showing how he plays stuff. I know there is a Robert Johnson song one...the stuff from Friday night is properly cited above. I have seen some non English language stuff too..it has been a while.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:44

I remember I videotaped the Friday Night Videos episode although I haven't actually watched it in ages, probably have a hard time even finding the tape. I do recall Keith introducing the Bangles new video, If She Knew What She Wants.
I think Keith was on the show to promote Dirty Work.

Date: March 22, 2013 16:59

DGA35
The early 80's Keith could have been from Friday Night Videos on NBC back in 86 I believe. Paul Schaeffer from Letterman was the host and I remember Keith playing 19th Nervous Breakdown and mentioning it was from Diddley Daddy.

Oh OK thanks - that was 1986, thought it was a few years earlier! Looked around but could not find it. Did find this interview from 1984"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:57

2000 LYFH
DGA35

Oh OK thanks - that was 1986, thought it was a few years earlier! Looked around but could not find it. Did find this interview from 1984"

For some reason, the 1986 FNVs he did with Paul Shaffer is not available on YouTube on copyright grounds, but is available on DVD from various bootleg sources. I was lucky enough to obtain my copy from a fellow IORRian who was kind enough to mail it to me. There are actually 2 discs--one of the actual interview and jam footage that aired on the official TV program, which was just 22 minutes or so in total, and a disc of raw footage that totals 65 minutes, featuring Paul and Keith jamming for 20 minutes or so [on several run-throughs of Sleep Tonight as well as blues-based instrumentals] as the studio crew set up the staging and microphones, with the full interview itself running for 45 minutes, including re-takes of questions that had to be done because either Paul wasn't speaking loudly enough or because of the hum of amplifiers that needed to be turned down. With each re-take, Keith answers not the same way twice, but with further anecdotal insights than in the previous take.

In the final television version, in addition to revealing the Diddly Daddy origin for the bass line in 19th Nervous Breakdown [there were so many riffs in the song because Keith didn't want to forget all the riffs he was stockpiling at the time], we also learn, through guitar demonstration, that the main riff in One Hit (To The Body) is almost exactly the same as Under My Thumb. We also find that the opening riff from Start Me Up, played more slowly and with no distortion, comes from Bo Diddly. In what was one of the last times in an interview where Keith speaks in fond and glowing terms of Brian Jones, we learn that the song Paint It Black only came together in the studio once Brian and Charlie applied their touches to it. Originally, having learned such things as Spanish guitar from his grandfather Gus Dupree, Keith had the song planned with Spanish flamenco flourishes and Hungarian dance elements, but thought there would be no way The Stones could have played it this way. But Brian was there with his sitar "....having just woken up, having been recently... psychedelicized [laughs], and he had the sitar with him and all the robes...." and played his bit and Charlie came in with his beat and the song fell together in 2 or 3 takes.

Date: March 26, 2013 15:16

Thanks stonehearted for the info. Hope one day to see it all...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home