Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

letter from Keith to a fan
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: January 27, 2011 16:55

[garyrocks.wordpress.com]- to-a-fan/
Is this original? Handwriting seems ok

Re: letter from Keith to a fan
Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 27, 2011 18:52

Kirk
[garyrocks.wordpress.com]- to-a-fan/
Is this original?

I don't know but it's interesting because it probably refers to the legendary Fuzztone they used for recording Satisfaction.

Posted by: keefnut ()
Date: January 27, 2011 19:14

I am the owner of the letter and author of garyrocks.

I recently purchased this letter from the gentleman named alan, who this letter is written to.
He was a young guitarist at the time he wrote Keith. He waited almost a year for a response.
The writing style, letter forms, signature, etc. match the many examples I own from the same period.

I know at times the secretaries of the fan club responded to the hundreds of requests for letters and autographs.

It would be highly unusual that a secretary would be able to answer this very specific question from a fan.

Of course unless dictated by Keith himself.

Thanks so much for reading.

Peace,

garyrocks

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:06

fascinating!

keith writes that the "Fuzz Box" is "fitted on to my guitar," rather than, as would become the norm, on the floor, hooked up between guitar and amp. Is he just being vague, expecting that the young fan wouldn't understand the details, or was the Fuzztone indeed "fitted on to" the guitar?

and some insight into keith's reticence to play slide--he thought it ruined the strings! This is definitely an early-days budget talking here. Or is this covering some other reason?

one of the most enjoyable aspects of Life (the book) is reading keith's letters, and recalling how common it was at that time even for non-literary types to write frequently.

do we have a rough date for the letter?

gary, in your text you might note that keith "reckons" that a slide ruins the strings; he doesn't say he knows it does. I think he's probably mistaken.

also, your last line says that the letter was written by the fan, not keith. Don't undercut your collectible!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 22:08 by cc.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:26

cc
keith writes that the "Fuzz Box" is "fitted on to my guitar," rather than, as would become the norm, on the floor, hooked up between guitar and amp. Is he just being vague, expecting that the young fan wouldn't understand the details, or was the Fuzztone indeed "fitted on to" the guitar?

I think the first. I often wondered why they stopped using the fuzz live and played chords instead. Maybe there's a technical reason.

cc
also, your last line says that the letter was written by the fan, not keith.

No, I think he says that the fan club probably could not answer this "specific question" and so it was answered or "dictated by Keith himself".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 22:26 by lsbz.

Posted by: keefnut ()
Date: January 27, 2011 22:27

thanks for the response.
envelope is date 65.
the writer told me he wrote keith in 64.
the last line was to show a young guitarist wrote the original letter to keith.
i realize this may have sounded confusing.
back then i assume "bottlenecking" was done with some makeshift glass bottle neck or some other metal tubing.
keith may have thought it took its toll on the strings.
as they were not making tons of money back then, replacing strings often may have been seen a bit frivolous and wasteful at this point in their careers.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:37

it is keith's writing. very nice letter.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:38

That's very nice to see. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home