Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The FACES at Goodwood
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 14, 2010 21:07

beast thanx for pic. brue thanx for retro hoes. man it was sexier back in the day i swear. sssoul and pauly etc...thanks for such amazing heartfelt reviews...i got the fever right from youse...thanx all for great heartwarming thread. what a triumph eh? i had no idea at all, at all, what to expect from wood at this stage of the game. to see him stake out his own ground and hold it, is remarkably satisfying, and to think that the true rock and roll GIFT that was ronnie for many years. it's impossible to under-estimate how hugely original game-changing were those first two Jeff Beck Group albums with ron and rod. just impossible to under-estimate their impact on EVERYONE...who came in the wake of the 'heavy metal' thing beck created as a template for former band mate jimmy page who was getting the idea bigtime by slowing down classic blues riffs repeating them endlessly like a sledge hammer on a pile of dynamite. it changed everything in it's wake. and ron was there on bass with THE seminal genius of electric guitar and heavy vision...then i saw faces circa 'long player' and 'a nod is as good...' in fillmore east.. around '71 pretty sure. amazing. there it all was. blues, soul music with a temptations groove...outrageous drunen barrel house rock on the edge of control. aside from the stones msg '72, perhaps the best personal rock and roll show i've EVER seen or heard...in a theatre too!! i was flabbergasted. rod's instrument impeccable.
i always loved this band. the original ferocious mariott lane led band of pink Immediate label fame in the states for itchycoo park and ALbums WORTH of amazingly tart snappy truly ruff THOROUGHLY rocking hard pop...or whatever.
the whole story so amazing. to think this would happen /.... well i didn't think it would or could have with this kind of intensity and control and leadership by ron and i'm so stoked to hear about it, see it...see my friends here so totally rocked in the flesh. just wonderful. total rock and roll history win. glad to hear. rod eat your always a dull moment heart out. good on you ronnie. stay well.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 14, 2010 21:30

From what I have seen, heard and read here, it looks as though getting out from under the Stones and perhaps more so Keith's shadow has done Ronnie some real good. The last few times I saw the Stones Ronnie was either barely playing or playing badly. It's good to see him back in good form. I must say with a few exceptions that I much preferred his work with The Faces than with Stones. Hope he can stay on the wagon and then do a few shows here in California...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:19

God bless oysterman555 whoever he is, for capturing not only the Stay With Me video posted earlier, but also - THIS:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2010 23:32

paulywaul
Brue
Looking for any physical evidence of their appearance at the festival.

Thank you and have a pleasant day. smoking smiley

Myself, sssoul, and Beast have just got home from Goodwood. In a word - awesome. Wednesday's performance at the O2 Bubble was the warm up, tonight was the show. And WHAT a show. This is a band you CANNOT afford to miss as of next year when they tour. Tonights highlight was a tribute to Etta James, who Ronnie referred to as a "big round mound of sound", a tribute to Muddy Waters, and an extraordinary 5 minute solo encore consisting of slide work in open tuning and that incorporated the Stones' Prodigal Son among others. They played for one and a half hours, 22:00 to 23:30.

And you thought they were good on Wednesday night at the O2 ? Well they were on FIRE tonight at Goodwood. A peach of a show, one that for all three of us at any rate we will fondly recall as the first performance of the Ronnie Wood 2010 Renaissance period - truly !

Mick Hucknall needs no further comment. He has sold himself lock stock and both barrels as THE vocalist for the job. Simply superb.

This gig will be reviewed to death, the press were out in force, as were the photographers. We would be astonished if there's anything other than a resounding chorus of approval for the re-emergence of this band. Tonight's gig was outstanding.

Any photos of the happy troupe?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 14, 2010 23:40

Yeah I think Ronnie is enjoying being out from Mick & Keith's shadow. Hucknall sounds good and does look and act a bit like a younger Bob Plant.....And for the name police who are still hung up on them calling themselves The Faces. get over it. They've earned the right and are doing the name very proud.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 15, 2010 00:04

Looking at the clips it's clear that with nowhere to hide Ronnie is relishing his role. Last time I saw the Stones there was too much posing and not enough playing as Ronnie knew that back-up musicians would fill the gaps. Was unsure of the new Faces but on this evidence I'd gladly go and see them.

Date: August 15, 2010 00:10

God bless oysterman555 whoever he is, for capturing not only the videos posted earlier, but also - THESE:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-15 00:20 by GuessWho.

Date: August 15, 2010 00:38

Awesome! smileys with beer

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 15, 2010 01:51

Fantastic, canĀ“t wait for Randers next Friday!

Posted by: snibbs1234 ()
Date: August 15, 2010 02:03

Thanks to everyone who's posting the videos & reviews on here
i measure a song when i hear it by getting goose bumps and all these videos have done that.
cheers

p.s. so all we need pre world tour, is a box set cd and dvd of the 3 gigs 02,Goodwood & Demark and Rehearsals

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-15 02:06 by snibbs1234.

Date: August 15, 2010 04:21

..and MERCH!!

Shirts
computer bags/sleeves
gig art (11x17 show posters)
etc., etc...

Charlie in Austin
(getting excited about the US leg)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 15, 2010 11:29

Been searching for reviews, can't find that much surprisingly, but there is this .......

[www.clashmusic.com]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 15, 2010 11:31

wow, ronnie is indeed in fine form! you watch a bootleg dvd from the abb tour, compare it to this and you won't believe it's the same man!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 15, 2010 11:47

Lets hope this link works ........

[www.the-faces.com]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 15, 2010 12:34

When they're touring next year - I'm definitely going to catch a few shows. I'm happy to see Ronnie sober, in control, happy and brilliant - and so focused and at the same time relaxed. If he can stay on "these roads" - we'll see a brilliant guitarist on the next Stones tour. Hopefully!
And I love Mick Hucknall's voice. Today he's a much better choice than old Rodney. Much of his vocal capacity's gone, but I hear he's kept his reproduction ability... A dad again at 65, is it?

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 15, 2010 13:02

DEBRIS, Ronnie Lane would be proud of this version. Really a grat homage! thumbs up

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 15, 2010 13:50

Beelyboy
beast thanx for pic. brue thanx for retro hoes. man it was sexier back in the day i swear. sssoul and pauly etc...thanks for such amazing heartfelt reviews...i got the fever right from youse...thanx all for great heartwarming thread. what a triumph eh? i had no idea at all, at all, what to expect from wood at this stage of the game. to see him stake out his own ground and hold it, is remarkably satisfying, and to think that the true rock and roll GIFT that was ronnie for many years. it's impossible to under-estimate how hugely original game-changing were those first two Jeff Beck Group albums with ron and rod. just impossible to under-estimate their impact on EVERYONE...who came in the wake of the 'heavy metal' thing beck created as a template for former band mate jimmy page who was getting the idea bigtime by slowing down classic blues riffs repeating them endlessly like a sledge hammer on a pile of dynamite. it changed everything in it's wake. and ron was there on bass with THE seminal genius of electric guitar and heavy vision...then i saw faces circa 'long player' and 'a nod is as good...' in fillmore east.. around '71 pretty sure. amazing. there it all was. blues, soul music with a temptations groove...outrageous drunen barrel house rock on the edge of control. aside from the stones msg '72, perhaps the best personal rock and roll show i've EVER seen or heard...in a theatre too!! i was flabbergasted. rod's instrument impeccable.
i always loved this band. the original ferocious mariott lane led band of pink Immediate label fame in the states for itchycoo park and ALbums WORTH of amazingly tart snappy truly ruff THOROUGHLY rocking hard pop...or whatever.
the whole story so amazing. to think this would happen /.... well i didn't think it would or could have with this kind of intensity and control and leadership by ron and i'm so stoked to hear about it, see it...see my friends here so totally rocked in the flesh. just wonderful. total rock and roll history win. glad to hear. rod eat your always a dull moment heart out. good on you ronnie. stay well.

Well said Beely. I could not have wrote it any better, as I am of the same opinion as you regarding the Faces. I saw so many great shows from those guys and the 1970-1971 gigs in particular were really top notch. Of course things never made it back to the heights of those years once Ronnie Lane years left, but by God these boys could play. I was listening to Mac's "Five Guys" comp on a plane ride back from Munich two days ago. A track that I went back and played over a few times was Wyndlesham Bay (Jodie). The core riff is really dirty and raw. That cut should have made it to Ooh La La, an album which still sounds fantastic. I remember Rod Stewart dissing that album. I couldn't believe it when he said it wasn't any good.

I'm hoping this band decides to come to the States. Otherwise, I may have to travel overseas again to catch them. So good to hear that Ronnie is playing well. Thanks all you other guys for writing up reviews of the shows. Rod Stewart, you should be ashamed for not going out with your old mates!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 15, 2010 13:55

Oh, and once again why no Faces in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Disgraceful and disrespectful to such a special band!!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 15, 2010 14:07

Thanks to all reviewers / posters. One in the eye for all the Ronnie knockers!

Looking forward to the tour.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 15, 2010 15:10

Rockin' Ronnie Wood playing some very inspired slide g-tar there -
keep on rollin'!!

Date: August 15, 2010 15:29

Green Lady

Green Lady, who owns the copyright of this picture? I'd like to use it for a new book about the Rolling Stones.

Olaf

Date: August 15, 2010 15:36

Who is the sax-player?

Date: August 15, 2010 15:44

child-of-the-moon
Green Lady

Green Lady, who owns the copyright of this picture? I'd like to use it for a new book about the Rolling Stones.

Olaf

The original picture of the Stones in those houndstooth jackets is by Philip Townsend.

The pictures of it being used at Vintage Goodwood are mine (here's a second one which gives a better idea of the scale).

You are welcome to use them if there isn't a copyright issue with Philip Townsend (HELP - who has the copyright on a picture of a picture?)

Date: August 15, 2010 16:45

It would be nice if you send an e-mail to me.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 15, 2010 21:15

Green Lady
God bless oysterman555 whoever he is, for capturing not only the Stay With Me video posted earlier, but also - THIS:

You know, I swear I heard some Memo From Turner in there. Now there's a good idea - PUT IT ON THE SETLIST RONNIE!! YEAH

Date: August 15, 2010 21:20

Or maybe this one. Maybe they could even get Ry Cooder to play with them. Or not. People would go apesh*t if they broke this out - nice and loose -

C'mon Ronnie do it!!!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 15, 2010 21:35

Ronnie has put Memo From Turner into that slide medley
quite a lot during the early 70s.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 15, 2010 22:38

I think it's great that The Faces are performing with Mick, i listened to an interview this afternoon on the Johnny Walker show on radio 2, he was at Goodwood and spoke the the faces on Friday evening before they went on Stage. They said that they did a session with Rod a few months ago and he wanted all the songs lowering to a different key and if they did that then a lot of the magic would dissapear from the songs. Also that Rod was tied up with contracts, management and agents. Johnny said "you mean like 35 years ago", they all laughed then said they had waited long enough for Rod and Mick could hit all the high notes.

It's funny how well Mick has been accepted, i just wonder if it could happen in the Stones, i for one would be horrified.

Date: August 15, 2010 23:04

Here's the interview that's mentioned above.

The first 5 seconds is slightly over-recorded.

Date: August 15, 2010 23:27

GuessWho
Here's the interview that's mentioned above.

The first 5 seconds is slightly over-recorded.

That's rock and roll, jack - bands to get interviewed at the local radio station the day they were playing in town. Mac says 'they're a band' without Rod. The part about having to lower everything or CHANGE keys because of him was thoroughly explained. Ronnie needs open E tuning to play Stay With Me. Seems like Jesse Wood is a pretty good rhythm player. Can play fat like they were saying when he needs to. Supposedly his own band was decent.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home