Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The FACES at Goodwood
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:56

Looking for any physical evidence of their appearance at the festival.

Thank you and have a pleasant day. smoking smiley

Re: The FACES at Goodwood
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 14, 2010 04:28

Brue
Looking for any physical evidence of their appearance at the festival.

Thank you and have a pleasant day. smoking smiley

Myself, sssoul, and Beast have just got home from Goodwood. In a word - awesome. Wednesday's performance at the O2 Bubble was the warm up, tonight was the show. And WHAT a show. This is a band you CANNOT afford to miss as of next year when they tour. Tonights highlight was a tribute to Etta James, who Ronnie referred to as a "big round mound of sound", a tribute to Muddy Waters, and an extraordinary 5 minute solo encore consisting of slide work in open tuning and that incorporated the Stones' Prodigal Son among others. They played for one and a half hours, 22:00 to 23:30.

And you thought they were good on Wednesday night at the O2 ? Well they were on FIRE tonight at Goodwood. A peach of a show, one that for all three of us at any rate we will fondly recall as the first performance of the Ronnie Wood 2010 Renaissance period - truly !

Mick Hucknall needs no further comment. He has sold himself lock stock and both barrels as THE vocalist for the job. Simply superb.

This gig will be reviewed to death, the press were out in force, as were the photographers. We would be astonished if there's anything other than a resounding chorus of approval for the re-emergence of this band. Tonight's gig was outstanding.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 04:29 by paulywaul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 14, 2010 05:51

Well, well, well, Looking forward to hearing more. Setlist?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 14, 2010 05:57

Great Pauly. Thanks for the reports.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 14, 2010 06:05

I hope they come to the states!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 14, 2010 06:32

Backstage at Goodwood

Onstage

Date: August 14, 2010 07:39

Retro Ho night at the Festival

I'm diggin the one on the far right

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 14, 2010 09:35

Who is their current bass player?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 14, 2010 10:07

Thank you Paul

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 14, 2010 10:23

Thanks for the report Pauly!

It wouldn't makes me wonder if after all those enthusiastic comments, Rod would finf a way to rejoin them.
But in anyway, they should carry on with MICK H.!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 14, 2010 11:24

Hi PW,

Nice words-very pleased to hear that the band are playing well and that they are received well too.
Next year,defo!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: August 14, 2010 11:44

This was a great gig, apart from the heavy rain earlier in the day. I made the best "warm-up" band - Wilco Johnson, who played a fair number of Feelgood songs to get me in the rocking 70s mood.

What can you say about the Faces and especially Ronnie last night - Fantastic!! As the guys say in the earlier post - you must see this band live.

On many songs he was playing almost note perfect from studio and live Faces material of over 35 years ago (just listen to Overtures and Beginners for a great example). He looked great and clearly enjoyed being the band leader for most of the time. I certainly haven't heard him play like this in years, although it certainly helps when its "your" material.

Kenney Jones on good form, although we did get a bit of a long drum solo with what sounded like a drum machine in the background; Ian Mac was good, but I was a little disappointed that he didn't get the chance to play a bit more. They really are "small" Faces when you see them standing up!

Matlock was good on bass, if a little upfront for my liking. Hucknall was brilliant - voice just perfect (and he can belt them out) and looking a bit like Robert Plant in gestures and moves. Jessie Wood filled in some space but all the real playing was Ronnie. He even played a slide solo in standard tuning before the Open E-tuned guitar came out.

Some very nice, heartfelt words about Ronnie Lane as well. And the crowd, except for the woman near me who kept proclaiming her love for Ronnie (she was english not russian), were great and really enjoyed themselves. This was the real headline act of the Goodwood weekend.

I can't remember all the set list, and not in order, but they played:

Miss Judy's Farm
Maybe I'm Amazed
I Wish It would Rain
I'd Rather Go Blind
Flying
I Feel So Good (sort of)
Debris
Ooh La La
Cindy, Incidentally
Poolhall Richard
Too Bad
Had Me A Real Good Time
Stay With Me
Woody Slide Solo (incl Prodigal Son, Black Limousine)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:07

Another vote here for the BRILLIANT verdict - somebody in the crowd behind me said "who needs Rod?" at the end of the show and they weren't far off right - Mick Hucknall does the job just fine. To quote the band, I Had Me A Real Good Time.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:08

Wonderful...pleased for ROnnie

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:43

as the saying goes: ~*YEAH!*~
that is how it's done :E

someone asked above who's on bass: Glen Matlock, who is doin a mighty fine and very appealing job
as everyone agrees Mick Hucknell is absolutely in the right place
Mac is shining magic brilliant - ohh man has that cat got sssoul! :E
and Ronnie Wood: what a display of graceful, masterful, spirited dirty filthy power & glory!
and he played harp too :E

if memory serves (which it may not, since i haven't collected my brain back from where it's been splattered all over)
that solo slide extravaganza Ronnie did as a pre-encore solo interlude harks back to Slide On Live
it was speechless-making to witness him doing it in person

both shows were speechless-making and a privilege to behold - thanks & praises, Faces!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 12:45 by with sssoul.

Date: August 14, 2010 12:50

Quality on my mobile phone isn't wonderful, but you get the idea...

Sorry I managed to miss the beginning of this, but the rest is worth hearing:

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 14, 2010 14:09

Big thanks to Paul and everyone else who got the gig news here so quick.Gotta see them next year.Couldn't make these gigs but I am patient and know they will just get better all the time.Will look for the reviews in the papers this weekend and I am sure they will be great. >grinning smiley< smileys with beer

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 14, 2010 15:43

I read a few weeks ago that Keith was going to play with them at Goodwood

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 14, 2010 15:51

....a sober Ron Wood is a great thing....dirty indeed.

Date: August 14, 2010 16:03

pgarof
I read a few weeks ago that Keith was going to play with them at Goodwood

If you take a look at addicted's last couple of posts in this thread

[www.iorr.org]

you'll see that if he's in the UK at all he is up to his ears in frantic last-minute work on his book, so he probably hadn't got time.

On the whole I'm glad the Faces and Ronnie in particular were able to do their thing without getting overshadowed by a Keith appearance - it was a wonderful show and certainly the best live performance by Ronnie that I've ever attended - I had forgotten just how good a guitarist he is when not distracted by drink or other things. Long may it last!

And in any case, the Stones did put in one appearance. Vintage at Goodwood is all about nostalgia and retro chic - not really my thing at all, but one of the shops had the right idea:

Date: August 14, 2010 16:43

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:25

That "Stay With Me" clip is pretty much the most rock n' roll thing I've seen in about a decade.

Holy crap!

Date: August 14, 2010 17:37

Vintage Goodwood......Vintage Ronnie - looking and sounding mighty fine!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 14, 2010 18:09

Ronnie B Goode !

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 14, 2010 19:54

That band is on FIRE!! Another brilliantly brain-tingling and superbly rockin' show, this time with the added bonus of Ronnie not only playing harp but also doing his fabuloso five-minute slide solo totally alone on the stage. This is the time for all the Ronnie naysayers to go and take a massive running jump. Mick Hucknall is an inspired choice and he is his own frontman - not a Stewart imitator. Lovely to see Ronnie take a leaf out of Mick's book by doing a final solo bow after the others had left the stage. A few pics:

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 14, 2010 19:56

thanks!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:10

Is that Jesse Wood on the other guitar?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:14

It is.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 14, 2010 20:23

what a show that must have been. they are ON! at least from what I can tell from the clips, etc...
thanks Beast, Green Lady, Carnaby, etc...

Date: August 14, 2010 20:39

Outstanding job everyone especially the band!!!!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home