Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gene Barge
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 8, 2011 11:14

Mr. Jimmy and I were entertained by saxman Gene "Daddy G" Barge tonight at a small, but packed, blues bar in Chicago....during the 3rd set, we were surprised to hear that Gene had played with the Stones! I'm interested in any comments people might have about him. I found mention of him here:

[www.stonessessions.com]

Re: Gene Barge
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 8, 2011 12:26

little queenie
Mr. Jimmy and I were entertained by saxman Gene "Daddy G" Barge tonight at a small, but packed, blues bar in Chicago....during the 3rd set, we were surprised to hear that Gene had played with the Stones! I'm interested in any comments people might have about him. I found mention of him here:

[www.stonessessions.com]

Gene Barge played with the Stones during the European leg of the 81/82 tour instead of Earnie Watts who played America. He is introduced by MJ on the Naples boot from 82 e.g. In my opinion the both sax players were a little annoying, too much sax on this tour.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 8, 2011 12:41

was ernie watts dropped from the tour for some reason?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2011 15:20

little queenie

didn't he have other commitments?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 8, 2011 18:51

little queenie

According to Martin Elliott: The Rolling Stones. Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002, London 2002, p. 293, Ernie Watts was replaced by Gene Barge, who "was one of the renowned artists who played on many a Chess Studio classic in the 'sixties". No more information about this replacement there.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:00

..associated in this time with blues artists he is one of the three writers of
"a quarter to three" for Gary US Bonds number one in USA in 1961..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home