Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Has an opening act ever upstaged the Stones?
Posted by: diane d ()
Date: August 13, 2010 06:59

oakland 1969 - ike and tina turner. there was a *long* time between sets and the consensus at the time was that mick didn't want to follow tina's amazing performance. they may have learned from the TAMI show that it's best to let some time lapse.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 13, 2010 07:51

At the LA Forum, first show, in 1969, I thought Ike and Tina were . . . transcendent. They had everyone on their feet. But, there was no way they or anyone else could have upstaged the Stones. There was an incredible air of expectation, they hadn't played LA in 3 years. All the opening acts were forgotten when Mick yelled, "Hey" as they came out on stage.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 13, 2010 08:23

1. James Brown's TAMI showing is hard to beat. The act was so incredibly high energy from start to finish it took my breath away. To me, Mr. Brown destroyed all comers at that one.

2. Gun's n Roses opening at the LA Colosseum in 1989 came really close. Love or Hate them, they hit that stage both barrels blazing! Living Color was there too. They were Tepid at best.

Every other Rolling Stones show I've seen live or recorded, the boys left the opening acts eating large amounts of dust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 08:24 by CBII.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 13, 2010 08:45

>Didn't The Patti Smith Group open for the band at some point in '78?

Yes, Fox Theatre in Atlanta. The show was announced on the radio very late at night just a few hours before tix went on sale. A flyer explaining the rules of the queue, tix, etc. is reproduced in the Patti Smith compilation cd LAND.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: August 13, 2010 11:59

I saw Metallica (and Everclear) open for them in San Francisco, 2005. More people paid attention to them then any other opener I have seen, yet when the Stones came out, it wasn't even close....

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 13, 2010 12:18

I was so disappointed with the stones at Wembley on the Urban Jungle tour that I vowed never to see them again. When they came back for the Voodoo Lounge tour my girlfriend said "do you want to see the Stones"?

Me: "Nah thanks they were not brilliant the last time"

Her: "But the Black Crowes are supporting"

Me: "Right ok then yes please."

Show day Black Crowes came on and it started pissing down with rain about 2 songs into their set and they went off after the 4th song.I was a little disappointed as you can imagine and I thought that no way could the Stones top the Crowes. Well you wouldn't believe it The Stones came on with not fade away and then Tumbling Dice and as soon as Keith started I started crying tears of joy...literally crying. They rocked! It still ranks as one of my favourite gigs of all time.

We even got a little souvenir from the show. At the end when all the fireworks went off my girlfriend had a little bit of a firework fall down the back of her neck and she now has a small scar on her upper back.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: August 13, 2010 12:37

The most funny "upstaging" has to be in Oslo 1965. The manager of the warm up act, Pussycats, had placed their fans in the first two rows. When the Stones started playing every one of them left!

Before my time, though. But it would have been a sight to see grinning smiley Anyone who was there?

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: August 13, 2010 12:44

AC/Dc in 2003 were vital compared to The Stones despite them being amazing on their Licks tour, GUN in 1990 on the Urban jungle Tour was a revelation and made me buy their album back then and ofcourse J. geils Band in Cologne 82 who gave The Stones a run for their money. I am afraid no one can upstage them but sure can give 'em a run for their money!

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:24

StonesTod
buddy mofo guy - more than once

Indeed, 1998.

Also AC/DC in Toronto in '03. Stones kept the crowd of a half million waiting over an hour after Angus, et al, had blown them away.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:40

CBII

2. Gun's n Roses opening at the LA Colosseum in 1989 came really close. Love or Hate them, they hit that stage both barrels blazing! Living Color was there too. They were Tepid at best.

Every other Rolling Stones show I've seen live or recorded, the boys left the opening acts eating large amounts of dust.

We must have been at different nights because everybody I was with (about 20 of us, half of them going because GnR were playing) all agreed the Stones were by far better, the funny thing is I thought it was a sub-par stones performance but Guns and Roses were dreadful. They did 4 nights in LA in 89 and I only went to one of them so maybe they were better at the others.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:42

In the Netherlands 1966 they had a Dutch band called the Outsiders in the opening act, and they blew the Stones away. It must be said that the Stones seemed to have played very bad and disinterrested that night.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 13, 2010 15:54

uhbuhgullayew
Nearly everyone I spoke with that attended the Detroit shows in 1981 will state that Santana did on those nights. Wasn't there but I've heard it from many who were there.

Iggy Pop played before Santana those three nights at the Silverdome. So the crowd was good and warmed up for Carlos! Talk about a great line-up, wish I had been there. I've seen Iggy and Santana both a bunch of times, and they're both great live...but I can't imagine either of them showing up the Stones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:01

A Stones concert is for Stones fans.
Even if John mcLaughlin is the opening act,the biggest applause is for the Stones.
Logic and simple as that.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:11

^^^ I've seen McLaughlin twice, and he's great. But there ain't no comparison to the Stones! McLaughlin has mega chops, but the Stones have the songs....and that's what its all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 16:12 by Keefan.

Date: August 13, 2010 16:17

behroez
In the Netherlands 1966 they had a Dutch band called the Outsiders in the opening act, and they blew the Stones away. It must be said that the Stones seemed to have played very bad and disinterrested that night.

According to the "Hitweek" magazine in 1966, the Outsiders were better. A lot of fans shared that opinion.
But that was in 1966,different feelings. Were the Stones blown away musically, or did the Outsiders have more succes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 16:25 by Amsterdamned.

Date: August 13, 2010 16:29

Keefan
^^^ I've seen McLaughlin twice, and he's great. But there ain't no comparison to the Stones! McLaughlin has mega chops, but the Stones have the songs....and that's what its all about.

Correct. You are a Stones fan. That's all I wanted to point out.winking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:33

No.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:35

ROPENI
mitchflorida
The Who upstaged the Stones at the Rock and Roll Circus, which is why it was never released .
l think this is one of those Urban legends,l have seen the show and yes the Who does a good set,but that they upstaged the Stones? No Way...
They didn't release it because Jagger was so coked out on the closeups. If you look at it, you can see why.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:37

The Sicilian
Or has one come close? I know they usually book "non threatening" acts but does anyone remember an opening act that put on a better show or sounded better than the Stones on any given night?

Lynrd Skynrd at Knebworth in the summer of 1976 very very nearly did; in fact some people would say they most definitely did

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:37

There are tons of urban legends out there, and I don't believe any of them. I've heard people say that ZZ Top upstaged the Stones in Honolulu back in '73, but I was there, and that's complete BS. I saw the show they played with Metallica at SF, and as another poster mentioned, it wasn't close.

The only one I'll believe is the Toronto Fest with AC/DC, and I believe it because there is hard evidence available on DVD. Justin Timberlake . . . . . a dark day in Stones history, despite their good intentions.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:45

I've never actually SEEN anyone open for the Stones. I've never been in my seat until after the warm-up acts have already finished playing.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:48

I went to one show as well, the night Axl ran around the track and they did not play 'Sweet Child O'Mine' but another song for the encore. Stones blew them away on my night

1981, San Fran, J Geils may of topped them.

My show count is 45 since '75 and only J Geils has come close.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:52

Brue
ROPENI
mitchflorida
The Who upstaged the Stones at the Rock and Roll Circus, which is why it was never released .
l think this is one of those Urban legends,l have seen the show and yes the Who does a good set,but that they upstaged the Stones? No Way...
They didn't release it because Jagger was so coked out on the closeups. If you look at it, you can see why.

I thought it was Brian Jones who was coked out . . plus he was being kicked out of the group anyway . . why would they want to show him as a band member.

The whole Rolling Stones performance from start to finish was crap and had a very weird vibe.

To tell you how bad that Rock and Roll Circus was, the high point of the show was when Yoko Ono was screeching at the top of her lungs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 16:54 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: August 13, 2010 16:54

some of you people are putting justin timberlake on the same level as miley cyrus or ashlee simpson. when he came out for his set at sarstock i was expecting him to do a lame dance routine involving chairs and sing boyband crap but he was actually quite good and funky. i was surprised. the guy has talent whether you want to believe it or not. "FutureSex/LoveSounds" is a good record. open your ears a bit and think outside the box. it might not be your cup of tea but to say it was a "dark day in stones history"?? give me a break.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2010 17:15

About all who saw them at the Kuip in Rotterdam 1982 and when asked about it the first thing they say is "man that J Geils band was great!"

Mathijs

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 13, 2010 17:57

In 1999 at the Stones'Groningen show Catatonia played the warm up set. Heavy Rain, female singer got wet. Musically not very good (but not bad either), but i could've watched her for hours and hours, to be honest. My neighbour also, 'cause he kept shouting "Nice t1ts, nice t1ts!".

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 13, 2010 18:05

jjflash73
I went to one show as well, the night Axl ran around the track and they did not play 'Sweet Child O'Mine' but another song for the encore. Stones blew them away on my night

1981, San Fran, J Geils may of topped them.

My show count is 45 since '75 and only J Geils has come close.

I went to the San Fran first show in 81 and the J Geils band were getting booed in the section I was in, I think the problem was the high-pitched harmonica drowned out everything else and it really was not pleasant, perhaps it was a technical problem.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 13, 2010 18:23

Depends whom you ask . .

But in 73 Billy Prestonw was hot on some shows. Btw The Who had the same problem in 73 with Golden Earring!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:07

Keefan
uhbuhgullayew
Nearly everyone I spoke with that attended the Detroit shows in 1981 will state that Santana did on those nights. Wasn't there but I've heard it from many who were there.

Iggy Pop played before Santana those three nights at the Silverdome. So the crowd was good and warmed up for Carlos! Talk about a great line-up, wish I had been there. I've seen Iggy and Santana both a bunch of times, and they're both great live...but I can't imagine either of them showing up the Stones.

Actually 2 nights at the Silverdome, NOV 30 & DEC 1. As spectacular as Santana was from reports of friends that attended, Iggy Pop had a lot of garbage thrown at him from the crowd and abbreviated his set both nights.

Pretty fickle and hard-core rock fans in Detroit, the next year Eddie Money and The Clash opened for The Who. Eddie Money played an encore song but when The Clash sang "Should I Stay or Should I Go" the crowd yelled "GO!" Although The Clash had plenty of fans there who were sporting the Combat Rock green t-shirts, they did not get a very good reception from the crowd that night.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:09

How can anyone really upstage The Stones? I mean, it would be near impossible. But the nearest I saw was the incredible Meters at Earl's Ct in 76. Very instrumental in helping forge the Stones funky sound in 74/76.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home