Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones & Country Music
Posted by: countryst ()
Date: August 7, 2010 00:52

There's a review of the rerelease of Exile on this country website (which, full disclosure, I help promote):

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/cdreview.asp?xid=4499

I'm curious: are any of you Stones fans also country fans? If so, what bands?

I don't know if everyone is already worn out about Exile around these parts, but if not, I'd also be interested in hearing what you thought of the new tracks.

Re: The Stones & Country Music
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: August 7, 2010 01:03

Don't care for that music....closest I like is Dead Flowers on Stripped.

Mick issues a classic line at the end of the song when he says "Yeeeeeewwwww I felt like a hillbilly for a minute there, just a minute though."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 7, 2010 01:24

Link doesnt work, mate.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 7, 2010 01:26

copy past the link in explorer then it works Gazza

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 7, 2010 01:30

I love old school country. Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Buck Owens are my favorite country singers. I love pickers like Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Grady Martin Clarence White, Don Rich, Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant, etc.

I don't listen to much new country, but I'm a big Hank Williams III fan (love the cd 'Straight To Hell'!) I don't have any use at all for Hank Jr. though, I think his music is too stock and conventional.

I also really love the cd Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn. What a great listen.

I was born and raised in Atlanta...seems like a lot of southern rock 'n' rollers start playing country and bluegrass after they hit 40...I'll never quit playing rock and the blues, but I love to make my guitar twang and whine like a pedal steel.

Seems like a lot of 'country music' these days is just watered down rock 'n' roll played by guys in cowboy hats. To play country guys, move your fingers three frets down! Yer supposed to be playing the pentatonic major scale, not the pentatonic minor!

---------------
edit: oh yeah, the Carter Family too (good call ROCKMAN)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-07 01:37 by Keefan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2010 01:34

Essential listening

Carter Family
Jimmie Rodgers
Hank Williams
Lefty Frizzell
George Jones
Jerry Lee Lewis ... yep known more for his rockin' stuff but possess one of the purest country voices there is .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 7, 2010 02:07

Stones and Country music are linked until the end of the times....

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 7, 2010 02:34

countryst
There's a review of the rerelease of Exile on this country website (which, full disclosure, I help promote):

I don't know if everyone is already worn out about Exile around these parts, but if not, I'd also be interested in hearing what you thought of the new tracks.

I like Merle Haggard

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 7, 2010 02:42

Only if it has rhythm and rocks

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 7, 2010 05:03

Yes, I love country music. Alice's restaurant and Crazy heart are just fantastic films (and music), aren't they ?
And, the "unreleased recordings of H. WILLIAM is just bible. And I love bluegrass ..
and many many country artists. Judy, Mary, Buffy, and Dolly's voice! And, the Mary Chapin Carpenter's "party doll" and Jerry Lee, Gram ... I love Mickey Gilley's "stand by me" Stop.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 7, 2010 13:13

Well, as a "late borner", I wasn't around during the Stones initial period of hits, but found them in my mother's record collection. I got into country slowly by ways of Roy Orbison. On his final album which also happened to be my first CD, there was Billy Burnette (a rockabilly heir) writing a song. I checked out his solo material, and it was country. Later, I found Junior Brown on a soundtrack by Ry Cooder. By ways of the Traveling Wilburys and Tom Petty, I got interested in the Byrds, especially Chris Hillman and the Desert Rose Band. U2 introduced me to Johnny Cash, who made some great music during his Mercury Records years, of which not many people seem to be aware. On one of those, I found the great John Prine. And Marty Stuart, too. And then there was this tiny radio station (that sadly is no more) in my neck of the woods in Germany on the Czech border that used to play lots of Americana in the mid 90s. When they played Joe Ely, I knew his music was going to be a great discovery. By now, I've got CDs by all of his mates from The Flatlanders, Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. I first heard the voices of The Jayhawks when they were doing backing vocals for John Hiatt. When Merle Haggard played on a Don Was album, I got interested in him, too, but his music didn't click as much with me as the others listed above.
And then there's Bill Kirchen, who I found on a Nick Lowe CD. The "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack introduced me to Dan Tyminski and Alison Krauss. Even before that, on a T Bone Burnett solo album, the featured players were Jerry Douglas and Edgar Meyer of Strength In Numbers fame. And Emmylou Harris' album with Daniel Lanois is really cool. And from recent years, there is the group Jackshit from California.

So here's the list of Country Music artists I like so far:

Billy Burnette / Bekka And Billy
Junior Brown
Chris Hillman / Desert Rose Band
Johnny Cash
John Prine
Marty Stuart
Joe Ely / The Flatlanders / Jimmie Dale Gilmore / Butch Hancock
The Jayhawks / Tim O'Reagan
Bill Kirchen
Dan Tyminski / Alison Krauss
Jerry Douglas / Edgar Meyer / Strength in Numbers
Emmylou Harris
Jackshit

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 7, 2010 14:20

Gazza
Link doesnt work, mate.

here ya go
[www.countrystandardtime.com]

my #1 is Burn your playhouse down, Geoge Jones with Keith.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 7, 2010 16:35

Thanks, I hate copy-pasting links. thumbs down

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 7, 2010 16:53

Keefan
I love old school country. Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Buck Owens are my favorite country singers. I love pickers like Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Grady Martin Clarence White, Don Rich, Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant, etc.

I don't listen to much new country, but I'm a big Hank Williams III fan (love the cd 'Straight To Hell'!) I don't have any use at all for Hank Jr. though, I think his music is too stock and conventional.

I also really love the cd Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn. What a great listen.

I was born and raised in Atlanta...seems like a lot of southern rock 'n' rollers start playing country and bluegrass after they hit 40...I'll never quit playing rock and the blues, but I love to make my guitar twang and whine like a pedal steel.

Seems like a lot of 'country music' these days is just watered down rock 'n' roll played by guys in cowboy hats. To play country guys, move your fingers three frets down! Yer supposed to be playing the pentatonic major scale, not the pentatonic minor!

---------------
edit: oh yeah, the Carter Family too (good call ROCKMAN)

Pretty much agree with Keefan. I'm another Georgia boy, too. Just south of Macon.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 7, 2010 17:50

I like early country music. Love Johnny Cash's Sun records period I actually prefer it over Elvis Presley's give or take a couple of songs. Hank Williams was great and I love the Stones take of You Win Again. The Stones country stuff if fantastic:
Country Honk
A Lot of the Beggar's tunes have the country blues feel especially Dear Doctor and Factory Girl
Sweet Virginia is my favorite conutry tune by anyone
Faraway Eyes
We Had it All and Let's Go Steady from the Some Girls sessions.

I think they will always be linked with country as well as blues you just don't think of the Rolling Stones as a country band. But that is the a great attribute of them they can play many forms of music but they are always linked to Rock first.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 7, 2010 21:18

i'm a big city lad with a country soul....love most of the artists y'all have named...also love Waylon Jennings: "This Time" "Lonesome, On'ry & Mean" "Honky Tonk Heroes" "The Ramblin" Man" "Dreaming My Dreams" .... for any Buck Owens fans out there, check out THE DERAILERS '"REVERB DELUXE"...a more recent band with authentic roots...sound like they're right out of the Bakersfield '60s sound...also listen to Billy Joe Shaver, Merle Haggard, Tammy Wynette, and the "The Real Mr. Heartache" Johnny Paycheck...check out his early stuff...also, Kris Kristofferson "The Austin Sessions" remakes of some of his earlier records, even better than the originals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-07 21:22 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 7, 2010 21:38

Its such a shame the Stones lost the country vibe they had in the late 60's and through the 70's. I feel it is a huge missing component when you hear the likes of Bigger Bang or any of the other recent efforts

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 7, 2010 22:51

countryst

Yeah! Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, George Jones. More contemporary: Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings...what comes out the Nashville machine now is not country. It's just kind of a commercial pop with country cliches. Don't get me started...

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 8, 2010 01:36

I love country music - sure there's a lot rubbish out there but there but there is also a lot of great great music, right from Dolly, Willie, Waylon and Hank (As Hank Wangford once said "always acknowledge Hank Williams as the true king of country music because, well, he is") up to Emmylou, Lucinda, Rodney Crowell, Alison Krauss, Allison Moorer, Kelly Willis and the Dixie Chicks. Even someone as sometimes ghastly as Reba McEntire is, has her moments if you know where to look....

Generally the Stones country-influenced stuff is great, To me they normally get it just right i.e. great influences, respectful and still sounding like the Rolling Stones playing country music. Some of the best: You Can't Catch Me, Dontcha Bother Me, Factory Girl, No Expectations, Ain't No Use In Crying as well as all the obvious ones - Dead Flowers, Sweet Virginia etc

Incidentally in 1989 Jagger said in an interview about Jerry Hall loving Dwight Yoakam - you can here his influence in 'Blinded By Love' which isn't a popular cut on here, but I love it.

I also find it interesting that the Stones are often the subject of unusual covers from the genre - Nanci Griffith did a GREAT cover of No Expectations as part of a jam on an Austin City Limits TV show, which she then followed up with a proper studio take which was released on the uneven "Stone Country" tribute record. Well worth seeking out as is Mary Chapin Carpenter's version of 'Party Doll' as mentioned above - get hold of a BBC in concert recording of it from 1999 if you can.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 8, 2010 22:15

71Tele
... More contemporary: Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings...what comes out the Nashville machine now is not country. It's just kind of a commercial pop with country cliches. Don't get me started...

Yeah, they are great too! I would add Allison Krauss to that list also. Hank III does a a funny song about putting the c*nt in country and the dick in dixie...he hates the Nashville machine too.

Orbit
...I also find it interesting that the Stones are often the subject of unusual covers from the genre - Nanci Griffith did a GREAT cover of No Expectations...

I haven't heard that one, but I always like Johnny Cash's cover of No Expectations. In the liner notes of the LP that has Johnny's cover version of it, there is a funny discussion between him and Luther Perkins about that song. Luther played it for him, and Johnny said something like "Lord have mercy, how in the world did Mick and Keith come up with a song like that?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-08 22:16 by Keefan.

Date: August 8, 2010 22:20

Date: August 8, 2010 22:22

Date: August 8, 2010 22:25

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:24

1. Jimmie Rodgers
2. Hank Williams
3. Johnny Cash
4. Waylon Jennings
5. Conway Twitty
6. Charlie Pride
7. Marty Robbins
8. Vince Gill
9. Patsy Cline
10. Bobbie Joe Gentry

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:35

Stones is as into country as they are in the blues and the reggie. I love that mix tehy do, and always have done.

STEVE EARLE is my favourite country artist, and Willie Nelson is great, so are Cash, Gram, Dwight, Dolly and Jerry Lee, and a bunch of others.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:37

Love country music from the early stuff - Carter Family, Hank - through Jerry Lee to the more recent stuff including Townes, John Prine, Lucinda, Steve Earle and many, many more. Not big on the commercial Nashville stuff, even if you do get nice guitar pickin' on some of it.

I must admit that the Stones were hugely influential in turning me on to country which was seen as being very uncool where I grew up. You only really heard it if it was a top twenty hit and it was seen as being very straight (unlike the Stones, of course).

A recent favourite is Sam Baker. He's done three albums as a trilogy following his recovery from being a victim of a terrorist bombing - yes, I know, doesn't sound too promising, but the albums - particularly the first two - are among the best music I've ever heard and he's a very engaging live performer (and a nice guy). If you've ever enjoyed a Townes Van Zandt or John Prine song, listen to this guy. If you only want to risk downloading one song, go for "Waves".

Date: August 10, 2010 12:50

Gram Parsons!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: August 10, 2010 16:04

Saw Willie Nelson two weeks ago. Still going strong at 77.

Date: August 10, 2010 16:08

I really believe Keith and Mick probably can like these artists and bands...
I like them!!!
And I´d like to add the eternal W.Nelson what a new album!!!
Carlitos
Tenerife

Stone River Boys
Hacienda Brothers (Former Band pf Chris Gaffney, love you whenever you are!!)
Eileen Jewell
BR549
Ryan Bingham
Justin Townes Earle
Old Crow Medicine Show
Deke Dickerson
Wayne Hancock
Chatham County Line
The Derailers
David Olney
Guy Forsyth
11 Bones
Nudie and the Turks
Trace Adkins
Brad Paisley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 10, 2010 17:48

Love old school country music (Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Johnny, Willie). I even liked some 80s stuff like T.Graham Bell and Eddie Rabbitt with the right R&B influenced songs.

I think the Stones are interesting because they do some serious country like Torn and Frayed and then kind of jokey stuff like Far Away Eyes. I think Keith has a deep respect, not always so sure about Mick. I wonder if Keith drug him kicking and screaming into it?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home