Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jerry Lee Lewis with Mick and Keith
Posted by: Cujo ()
Date: September 9, 2010 21:45

Jerry Lee Lewis has a new record out. And a great one too. He does a great version of DEAD FLOWERS (with Mick) and an equally great version of SWEET VIRGINIA (with Keith). I always had a soft spot for the Stones doing country music. In my opinion Jagger is a great country singer (al you guys who believe Jagger has lost his voice just listen to his background vocals on this version of Dead Flowers). This is the real deal. I just hope they get in the studio with Jack White and record some good old country and blues stuff.
What do you guys think about the Stones doing country?

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis with Mick and Keith
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 9, 2010 21:49

and with Ronnie!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 9, 2010 23:47

I had a sneak listen via Keith's site and thought they were pretty standard country versions, I've heard them all play better versions of these songs elsewhere.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 9, 2010 23:59

It's a good album, actually. Nice renditions of classics.

Keith sounded alright. Mick..so-so. Both come on just for some harmony work...no solo vocals. Mick's high register/nasal sound is very prominent. I guess there's no turning back with him...that's how he's singing these days.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 10, 2010 02:08

I agree with Justin. In fact, the more I hear the version of Dead Flowers, the less I like it because of MJ's vocal styling.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 10, 2010 02:31

Yum Yum. Looking forward to this. Gonna be away for a few days then I'll get a copy. Jerry Lee is still the real deal.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 10, 2010 02:48

Cafaro
I agree with Justin. In fact, the more I hear the version of Dead Flowers, the less I like it because of MJ's vocal styling.
i also agree , i think mick vocal on dead flowers actually ruins the version. while keith's vocals on sweet virginia blend a whole lot better.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 10, 2010 09:49

the only song which is so so is with Ronnie.
The other2, well , you can ignore them.
sorry guys.
jeroen

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 10, 2010 10:56

it´s one of his worst albums, though i played it a few times yet. the two stones tracks are very bad. a few decent tracks but his voice is very weak often. and a lot of fake duets, the last one was better but also not THAT great

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2010 11:50

Lurv the version of Dead Flowers .... Jerry Lee and that swingin'
band and Micko soundin' like a hot-shot Appalachian punk who just staggered
into the session with a can of cheap booze and a rocket in his pocket...YEAH!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 10, 2010 11:56

Jerry Lee Lewis: Mean Old Man
By Matt Popkin on September 9th, 2010

"Still, there is some real magic to be had on Mean Old Man. The “Dead Flowers” duet with Mick Jagger features two elder rock statesmen holding court — Jagger’s nasal voice covering the high while Lewis holds down low-end with some gravel in his throat."

[www.americansongwriter.com]

Date: September 10, 2010 12:07

Don't wanna cause a mass stampede but rumour is The Killer will be
compilin' a list over the next few nights of those who don't like it ....Hah Hu Hang it like Gunga Din

Oh yeah and ain't it beautiful ta hear Mr Lewis sing about that needle and a spoon...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2010 12:31

Rockman

Oh yeah and ain't it beautiful ta hear Mr Lewis sing about that needle and a spoon...
...very unlikely to imagin him
also this Kentucky Derby days, for 74 years and his "overall appearance" anyway i have two tickets for the forthcoming europeean tour spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 10, 2010 12:34

and for those who are interested:

Date: September 10, 2010 12:36

Yeah I know it ain't his kick but love the way he sings that line....

HEY enjoy ya show... He's a livin' legend... treasure every second

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2010 12:43

Rockman
Yeah I know it ain't his kick but love the way he sings that line....

HEY enjoy ya show... He's a livin' legend... treasure every second

you´re right rockman, will be the fourth time, last time he played my request mean old man, wich was the new single back then (back then, last year it was)smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 10, 2010 13:00

"HEY enjoy ya show... He's a livin' legend... treasure every second"

Exactly, what do people expect. The albums great with all things considered

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:25

Cujo
Jerry Lee Lewis has a new record out. And a great one too. He does a great version of DEAD FLOWERS (with Mick) and an equally great version of SWEET VIRGINIA (with Keith). I always had a soft spot for the Stones doing country music. In my opinion Jagger is a great country singer (al you guys who believe Jagger has lost his voice just listen to his background vocals on this version of Dead Flowers). This is the real deal. I just hope they get in the studio with Jack White and record some good old country and blues stuff.
What do you guys think about the Stones doing country?

I'm with you Cujo, I think the Stones do great country. Keith, of course, is born to do the cry-in-your-beer stuff, but Mick never seems to take the genre seriously. While he certainly sings it well, he always seems to have his tongue in his cheek, so to speak. I'd love for the Stones, or even Keith solo, to do a country disc - with or without cover versions.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:39

adotulipson
I've heard them all play better versions of these songs elsewhere.

Agreed ... not just the Stones songs either, all the songs are worse than the originals. How can you ruin You Are My Sunshine??? This album doesn't do it for me.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 10, 2010 17:57

adotulipson
I had a sneak listen via Keith's site and thought they were pretty standard country versions, I've heard them all play better versions of these songs elsewhere.

Sweet Virginia is nice, perhaps because Keith is the background singer on the original. Dead Flowers just has Mick bellering in the background with no sense of harmony. And do we really need ANOTHER Jerry Lee album containing Rockin' My Life Away?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 10, 2010 18:33

"And do we really need ANOTHER Jerry Lee album containing Rockin' My Life Away?"

Yeah cause I doubt there's gonna be many more to come?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 10, 2010 18:47

I can't believe Jerry and Keith didnt sing "SHIT" on thier duet!!! I don't think either one is above using the word!!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 10, 2010 19:02

November 6th, Antwerp winking smiley

Date: September 10, 2010 19:11

R
adotulipson

Sweet Virginia is nice, perhaps because Keith is the background singer on the original. Dead Flowers just has Mick bellering in the background with no sense of harmony. And do we really need ANOTHER Jerry Lee album containing Rockin' My Life Away?

it´s one of the weakest tracks on it, that´s true but it was released just one time in 1979. we don´t need another Roll over Beethoven ie.

Date: September 10, 2010 19:31

I guess I just expected a more "potent"performance from Jerry and Keith..It doesnt please me to have to say that either. Substituting "shine" for 'shit" sounds as silly as Charlie Daniels calling the devil "son of a gun" instead of "bitch" now on performances of "Devil Went Down To Ga". I hope it hasnt come to the point where our heros dont know "shit from shine"--ola now!! HA HA

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 10, 2010 21:07

Do your self a favor , pick up the 18 song deluxe version . For a couple of ducats you almost double the music .

Date: September 10, 2010 22:22

boston2006
Do your self a favor , pick up the 18 song deluxe version . For a couple of ducats you almost double the music .

right, the standard 10 track version is mostly rubbish, the 18 track deluxe has far more better tracks and in comparison to this quite good is the itunes bonus track

Date: September 10, 2010 22:38

scottkeef
I guess I just expected a more "potent"performance from Jerry and Keith..It doesnt please me to have to say that either. Substituting "shine" for 'shit" sounds as silly as Charlie Daniels calling the devil "son of a gun" instead of "bitch" now on performances of "Devil Went Down To Ga". I hope it hasnt come to the point where our heros dont know "shit from shine"--ola now!! HA HA

i believe it has to do with jerry more than keith. charlie has been saying son of a gun for years now

Date: September 10, 2010 23:00

Yeah, ole Charlie has been doing it for years..kinda takes the punch out of it ,dont it? lol

Date: September 11, 2010 06:56

John Belushi ---- Jerry Lee Lewis .................Palomino Club late 1970's

Fanks...X

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-11 10:04 by Rockman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home