Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 40th anniversary edition of All Things Must Pass
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 15:33

Coming soon in 24 bit lossless download format, which is considered closest to the recording studio quality...and also available on 180 gram vinyl in original packaging with poster.

[www.georgeharrison.com]

A stunning album with so much to offer. And listen to Out of the Blue on the Apple Jam disc and hear Bobby Keys working out his inspiration for Can't You Hear Me Knocking!

Re: OT: 40th anniversary edition of All Things Must Pass
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:26

Such a lovely album.

I can never decide if I like Bob or George's version best of If Not For You. Both are beautiful.

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:27

I agree, whitem8!! I think it is arguably the best solo work of any of the Beatles. A pop sensibility in the songcraft, but folkier and blusier than the others. I really can't say enough good things about this record or about George in general!!

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:29

Cindy C, I guess we posted at the same time - I also love both versions of If Not For You (coincidentally, I saw Dylan two nights ago and loved it). However, I love George's more. In fact,it was my wedding song two years ago!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:32

What a great choice for a wedding song - it's such a loving tribute to the one you love. Well done!

There is at least one thread on here where people discuss which song to use for their wedding day. Some of them are just strange. Like "All About You".

Date: November 19, 2010 17:35

oldbarbarian78
I think it is arguably the best solo work of any of the Beatles.
i would say it's a tie between that one and lennon's John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, which was also released in 1970. i prefer lennon's disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-19 17:36 by bernardandersonII.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 19, 2010 17:37

It is my profound hope that the new 180g vinyl is:

A) Mastered FOR vinyl and not just the CD mix stamped in plastic*

and

cool smiley That they return to the original "full Spector" mix rather than the toned down (by George) version they put out ten years, or so, ago.

*Ala the new Exile vinyl. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 18:22

R

and

cool smiley That they return to the original "full Spector" mix rather than the toned down (by George) version they put out ten years, or so, ago.

From what the site says the vinyl was mastered from the original analog tapes...
and it is all the original packaging, the original black and white cover, the slip cases with the lyrics, and the poster. Regarding the remastered re-release that came out before his death. The original production was not tampered with and it was the Spector mix. In fact in the booklet George remarked that he was very tempted to remix it and tone down the wall of sound, but he didn't. Now he did add several bonus tracks that weren't on the original disc that he produced, and are sparse in their mix, a beautiful version of Let it Down with him on acoustic and a subtle organ...Harrison did remaster the disc, but not remix it, it is the Spector production. And it sounds lovely. More full, the original CD release was terrible! Very dense and low, in fact the song All Things Must Pass was a travesty and barely audible! But the remastering was done very well by Harrison. My gripe was with the cover! Whey change it! That really irked me a lot, so I am glad to see the original re-released historically accurate. ALso, I was not fond of the My Sweet Lord 2000 mix, it was not very good.
But yes, this album was and is a masterpiece and has some of the most poignant and beautiful solo Beatle's songs on it. It is my favorite of the solo discs... I don't know what would be second, probably Lennon's Plastic Ono Band...but also McCartney's Ram and Electric Arguments are up there...

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 19, 2010 22:25

whitem8
R

and

From what the site says the vinyl was mastered from the original analog tapes...
and it is all the original packaging, the original black and white cover, the slip cases with the lyrics, and the poster. Regarding the remastered re-release that came out before his death. The original production was not tampered with and it was the Spector mix. In fact in the booklet George remarked that he was very tempted to remix it and tone down the wall of sound, but he didn't. Now he did add several bonus tracks that weren't on the original disc that he produced, and are sparse in their mix, a beautiful version of Let it Down with him on acoustic and a subtle organ...Harrison did remaster the disc, but not remix it, it is the Spector production. And it sounds lovely. More full, the original CD release was terrible! Very dense and low, in fact the song All Things Must Pass was a travesty and barely audible! But the remastering was done very well by Harrison. My gripe was with the cover! Whey change it! That really irked me a lot, so I am glad to see the original re-released historically accurate. ALso, I was not fond of the My Sweet Lord 2000 mix, it was not very good. ...

Excellent! I gladly stand corrected. Also, I agree with you 100% about the packaging and extras on the Harrison remaster. I'll add that the whole album could have been fit on a single CD and the jams and bonus tracks on a separate one. It's an awkward listen with sides one and two followed by outtakes and remixes. It's important to keep in mind, however, it WAS George's masterpiece to muck about with even IF we didn't like the whole result. Just the same, I like the reverence with which this new version is being treated,

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 19, 2010 22:56

CindyC
There is at least one thread on here where people discuss which song to use for their wedding day. Some of them are just strange. Like "All About You".

Talking about weird wedding songs, I went to one a few years ago, where they had a small band playing and a DJ, and I don't know if both the DJ and the band were playing a joke or what (only myself and someone else at my table was laughing, everyone else looked clueless), but as the bride and groom entered, the DJ played Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell" softly in the background, and during dinner the band played an instrumental of "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 20, 2010 00:56

Good album! I'll look out for it.

And I always thought the 68 - 72 years were great rock years in general.
Lots of great albums (esp. 69-71) . . !!

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 20, 2010 01:03

All things must pass...except Beatles re-packagings.
smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 20, 2010 10:04

whitem8
R

and

and it is all the original packaging, the original black and white cover, the slip cases with the lyrics, and the poster. Regarding the remastered re-release that came out before his death. The original production was not tampered with and it was the Spector mix. In fact in the booklet George remarked that he was very tempted to remix it and tone down the wall of sound, but he didn't. Now he did add several bonus tracks that weren't on the original disc that he produced, and are sparse in their mix, a beautiful version of Let it Down with him on acoustic and a subtle organ...Harrison did remaster the disc, but not remix it, it is the Spector production. And it sounds lovely. More full, the original CD release was terrible! Very dense and low, in fact the song All Things Must Pass was a travesty and barely audible! But the remastering was done very well by Harrison. My gripe was with the cover! Whey change it! That really irked me a lot, so I am glad to see the original re-released historically accurate. ALso, I was not fond of the My Sweet Lord 2000 mix, it was not very good.
But yes, this album was and is a masterpiece and has some of the most poignant and beautiful solo Beatle's songs on it. It is my favorite of the solo discs... I don't know what would be second, probably Lennon's Plastic Ono Band...but also McCartney's Ram and Electric Arguments are up there...

Thanks for posting about the reissue, Mr W. I agree with you about the last CD release - packaging and that crappy, totally unnecessary 2000 remix of My Sweet Lord aside, it was a beautiful thing.

I think - but I'm not sure - that the vinyl mastering was done by the people behind the mastering of the Station to Station reissue vinyl. If that's the case, then All Things Must Pass will be worth buying again, because both STS and the Nassau live album sound superb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home