Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Have you ever felt "panic situations" during a stones concert?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:13

Just saw the desaster of the "LOVEPARADE" in Duisburg--again on TV. Have you ever had" Panic" seen by a Rolling Stones-concert?

I saw their concert in Berlin back in 1965.no panic, but was glad to come out.

i remember the "urban Jungle"-show in cologne 1990. They opened the gates and everybody wanted to be the first in FOS. I was afraid.

Whats your experiences?

btw---I wasnt in Altamont

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: Have you ever felt "panic situations" during a stones concert?
Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:39

Birmingham '89 - I was in line for beer, and they ran out. The crowd turned ugly fast!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:41

A friend and I had front row seats in 98 for the first Houston show. We didn't know it until the usher pointed out our seats. As we sat in our seats I felt a bit of panic. It was just too close.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:48

I'm glad I didn't with the concerts I attended, at least not with to many people on one spot.
Except for a fight in front of the 2003 concert in Rotterdam (some stupid drunk guy's try to get in front of the stage).
And a concert in Den Haag 1976 when Hell Angels try to get in front and scared everybody away, except for some guys who didn't want to leave and started a fight ...very scary moments.

Date: August 3, 2010 21:49

Havo
Just saw the desaster of the "LOVEPARADE" in Duisburg--again on TV. Have you ever had" Panic" seen by a Rolling Stones-concert?

I saw their concert in Berlin back in 1965.no panic, but was glad to come out.

i remember the "urban Jungle"-show in cologne 1990. They opened the gates and everybody wanted to be the first in FOS. I was afraid.

Whats your experiences?

btw---I wasnt in Altamont

btw---I wasnt in Altamont[/quote]

Are you kidding?

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 3, 2010 21:57

What about the bomb alert. Was DC if I remember correctly.

Date: August 3, 2010 21:58

kidding??? Why ---NICOS???

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:00

leteyer

I thought it was Charlotte, North Carolina.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:02

Havo

I was at that show. We were up in the seats, and I could see clearly on the field a bunch of guys beating up one or more guys. Pretty badly. No danger at all for us, but scary to look at.

That bomb threat was in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 22:02 by Koen.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:03

Been to many gigs by different bands (particularly in the 70's), so I have forgotten much.

But I remember 2 occasions.
76 The Hague: - I was at the fence. Hells Angels were in the audience beating people up and police with shields and truncheons came from the side and from stage behind me making their way through the audience. I was between them and got beaten by police.

99 London Sheph. Bush Empire: Place was really packed at the front and when the Stones came on even more drunken came from behind and audience was swaying back and forth. Women were screaming, some fainting and you just had to keep standing on your feet.

And I remember concerts from other bands or festivals . .

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:14

Rome 2007
What a horrible crowd.

Date: August 3, 2010 22:28

Forgot Anaheim 1978. Was in FOS, the crowd went crazy, when the Rolling Stones Started---i Tried to get a seat on the upper level seats.Got this -one---ans saw a great concert with sooo many shoes!!!

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:35

Yes, at Shea Stadium at the Steel Wheels '89 concert. It was me, my sister and two guy friends of mine. At the end of the show, 60,000 people literally stampeded out of the stadium, my sister and I were separate from the two guys, and being they could not find us for an hour, left us there w/o a way home. We had to call my boyfriend at the time to pick us up at 2am. We were scared, Two females stranded at Shea is not a safe place to be.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 3, 2010 22:53

Stay away from the crowd as much as you can.

In Rotterdam 1973 people were beating each other up with sticks just a couple of meters from my seat. But I didn't panic because I wasn't threatened. Then the presence of the Hells Angels at the toilets. That was threatening but I didn't panic.

The Hague 1976. I wasn't (luckily) at 'the Hells Angels show', it was 'the easy folks concert'. But when it was over I wanted to be out quickly and went to an exit that in fact was closed. So the crowd went to it and came from it at the same time. It was also dark. I was in panic but at the same time very alert. So I went to the side of the path and could climb into the fence until it was over. When I walked home (I lived near that stadium) I shaked and trembled.

Rotterdam 1982. Because of friends of mine and my wife wanted to see the Stones and wanted me to go with them I went to that afternoon show. It was an extremely hot day and the atmosphere around the stadium was bad, before and after the show. During the show itself no problems, but I was constantly very alert and tensed.

For me no crowd anymore. The crowd is a wild, dangerous, lethal beast.

Edit: during the 1982 show a police force was charging the crowd. But that was far away from our seats. But it wasn't pleasant to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 23:04 by kleermaker.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 3, 2010 23:00

Crowd leaving Wembley 89. Thru a tunnel. Bad news/no crowd control

Date: August 3, 2010 23:04

1973 --I only the Stones in September in Munich----great show

Date: August 3, 2010 23:06

It all depends on with show you attended Kleermaker or the place where you sit/stand, I remember 1973 was normal concert (can't remember which day I was there, have to find my ticked) the only think I remember that there was a guy climbing in the ceiling and start to pee.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2010 23:38

I got pretty panicky half way through the last night of the 02 shows in 2007 after I realised we weren't going to get the much awaited set to end all sets. Same old set and absolutely no surprises.

Date: August 3, 2010 23:41

Havo
kidding??? Why ---NICOS???

Because you said you saw them at the Hyde Park and now you you wasn't there................or did you mean you was there?

Date: August 3, 2010 23:43

was in Hyde Park---nicos----not Altamont

Date: August 3, 2010 23:50

Havo
was in Hyde Park---nicos----not Altamont

Stupid me.....my mistake.....they only are a few months apart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-03 23:58 by NICOS.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 23:54

78 tour in New Orleans. We were down front, the Stones came on very, very late - the crowd was pushing and swaying - hell, I thought it was Altamont II for a moment.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 4, 2010 00:52

Voodoo Lounge Tour, Rose Bowl 1994 -- someone several rows back tossed a bottle which hit the head of a girl sitting right behind me one row back. She seemed okay at first, but then realized she was bleeding. Ironically, this happened right before the band played "Shattered." eye popping smiley

For the rest of the show, I kept glancing back, waiting for the next bottle...luckily, it never came.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 00:57

leteyer

It was Charlottesville, VA.
I was there but didn't feel any panic.
Concern yes, panic no.

More panic for me at the '75 Greensboro show.
Festival seating back in those days.
Me and my brother were one of the first to arrive at the parking lot about 12 noon and there were thousands there by the time they opened the gates six hours later. The crush of people was unbelievable going through the turnstiles and into the arena. There were several times our feet weren't touching the ground as were were swept through.
Same for '77 Led Zep in Greensboro. Glass breaking at arena entrance. Ticket takers just bailed out.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 4, 2010 00:58

i almost paniced during the last gig in the 02 centre.

i went to fetch myself 2 pints of beer and when trying to get back to my seat i almost tipped the lot over the folk in front of me, i could see the glasses tipping over, luckily i caught them with no time to spare.

just think, one of you could have had a beer bath during "its only rock and roll"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 4, 2010 04:04

I was at the Charlottesville bomb threat show. I figured it was just some right-wing twerp who was pissed about Neo Con and wanted to throw a wrench in the Stones show. What sucked was that I couldn't get a beer during the "intermission."

The panic situation I recall was getting into JFK Stadium when the gates opened on the morning of June 17, 1978. Thousands of people crushing one another trying to get through a doorway that was no wider than that of a typical house. The palookas who promoted the JFK show, Electric Factory Concerts, were the same people who promoted the Who show in Cincinnati 18 months where a bunch of people were trampled in a preshow stampede.

Shadoobee, trampled, trampled. No fun. Festival seating blows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-04 06:09 by baxlap.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 4, 2010 04:53

Yes. Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX November 1989. Overcrowded concourse. Scary!

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 05:20

Louisiana Superdome New Orleans 1978. Thousands crowed around outside waiting and not enough doors were opened in that area to get inside. Could have easily been another Who Concert situation.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 4, 2010 06:04

Close call in Frankfurt, Festhalle 1973. I was directly at the gate for the afernoon show - they had not opend the doors yet but the crowd was pushing like a bulldozer. my head nearly went through the bars - only it didn't fit in it's original size^^ - panic indeed.
last minute relief came when they opend the bloody gate next to me.

I stayed on the premises for the second show, hiding under a truck, thinking I deseverd it after that scare.

Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: August 4, 2010 07:36

1989 in oakland ... one of my friends casually mentioned that he was carrying a gun in his shoe as we were about to be frisked before entering the stadium (what a f**k'n moron!)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home