Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: STONES FANS VERY NEGATIVE
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 5, 2010 01:23

Bottom line. Whatever makes you feel good and as long as your not hurting women,children or small farm animals in the process. Go ahead and get your ya ya's out. Who cares what anybody else says.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 5, 2010 01:44

shortfatfanny
71Tele
What I don't get are the posts where people say "I don't care how bad they play or sound, I'll be there!"

What´s wrong with this ?

Not "wrong", it's just hard for me to understand why people would put up with subpar performances and pay for the privilege. To each his own I guess...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 5, 2010 01:47

sweetcharmedlife
Who cares what anybody else says.

Absolutely right, great attitude. Wish I could maintain that constantly.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 5, 2010 01:51

71Tele
To each his own I guess...

And again I have to say "Absolutely right".
Although I actually shouldn't care smiling smiley
But as I posted before, I cannot maintain that attitude constantly.

-------------------

Date: August 5, 2010 01:57

Rolling Hansie
71Tele
To each his own I guess...

And again I have to say "Absolutely right".
Although I actually shouldn't care smiling smiley
But as I posted before, I cannot maintain that attitude constantly.
Just keep on Rolling Hansie....That's all that matters.smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 5, 2010 02:00

71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele
What I don't get are the posts where people say "I don't care how bad they play or sound, I'll be there!"

What´s wrong with this ?

Not "wrong", it's just hard for me to understand why people would put up with subpar performances and pay for the privilege. To each his own I guess...

Right Tele,it´s not "wrong",but I think people don´t think of "subpar perfomances",
probably more of "different" performances,taking the well known circumstances into account.
And for sure ,there are enough people not taking care at all about exactly these circumstances.

You´re describing your individual standards ( nothing "wrong" with this as well...I liked your comments on "Some Girls" very much,btw ).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 5, 2010 02:06

sweetcharmedlife
Bottom line. Whatever makes you feel good and as long as your not hurting women,children or small farm animals in the process. Go ahead and get your ya ya's out. Who cares what anybody else says.

What about large farm animals? Would you consider cow tipping to be hurting? What's a large farm animal compared to a small farm animal? Adult pig vs baby pig? Donkey vs a horse?

Date: August 5, 2010 02:12

sweetcharmedlife
Just keep on Rolling Hansie....That's all that matters.smileys with beer

Will do. On with the party.

-------------------

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 5, 2010 02:14

Am I the only one who preferred some of the Bang tour shows to some other tours before it?

Date: August 5, 2010 02:17

Perhaps you saw some Bang shows where the string section was actually working spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 5, 2010 02:47

Yea i enjoyed the bang tour too,stones will stones and they know how to rock the place down,yea get licked.

Date: August 5, 2010 03:10

shortfatfanny
71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele

What´s wrong with this ?

Right Tele,it´s not "wrong",but I think people don´t think of "subpar perfomances",
probably more of "different" performances,taking the well known circumstances into account.
And for sure ,there are enough people not taking care at all about exactly these circumstances.

You´re describing your individual standards ( nothing "wrong" with this as well...I liked your comments on "Some Girls" very much,btw ).

Thanks...I guess I think that while we all like things that are "different" from each other, there does exist at some level a basic competency at executing a vocal or guitar part (or whatever) that a great professional band like the Rolling Stones should not fall below. When I have seen them fall below this level, it's depressing. When I see fans not able to admit what's happening, it's even more depressing because it is my belief that people should not abandon their critical faculties, whether they are a supporter of a band, a football team or even a political party or personage. We all owe it to ourselves to see the world as truthfully as we can or we are basically sheep who are easily manipulated. That doesn't mean I am trying to take anyone's pleasure away at the sheer enjoyment of the spectacle of a Stones show. But personally that's not enough for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 03:13 by 71Tele.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 5, 2010 03:23

71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele

What´s wrong with this ?

That's a fair point, Tele. I'm not sure I have an answer, but I think at a certain point it gets to be like a pilgrimage for some -- honoring and, to some extent (maybe) re-experiencing all that has gone before. It's sort of like the cultural and personal experience is more important than the music...for that person at that time.

Date: August 5, 2010 03:36

texas fan
71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele

What´s wrong with this ?

That's a fair point, Tele. I'm not sure I have an answer, but I think at a certain point it gets to be like a pilgrimage for some -- honoring and, to some extent (maybe) re-experiencing all that has gone before. It's sort of like the cultural and personal experience is more important than the music...for that person at that time.

I understand perfectly. Honoring and paying respect has been my main motivation for the last several Stones shows I have attended.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 5, 2010 04:05

Ket
Am I the only one who preferred some of the Bang tour shows to some other tours before it?

I saw 13 of them (between Jan '06 and August '07) in 8 countries (9 if I count two trips to London), and to some degree enjoyed them all. A few were undeniably brilliant by any reasonable standard, some were a bit rough in parts but I still had a good time at each of them.

I dont need to analyse every note to determine whether I enjoy a gig or not, because there's more to the concert experience than that (eg special moments during the performance, the sound, location and proximity to the stage, whether its a good crowd or not, the people you're with) - so in general I tend to enjoy a Stones gig even if I can accept that they're not technically as good as previous tours.

Being at a show though gives you a different perspective because you're savouring the 'event' and the thrill of having your favourite band playing in front of you. Listening to recordings of shows though perhaps gives a more balanced perspective. Based on what I'd heard as the tour progressed, I honestly though that the first couple of months of the 2005 leg of the tour were some of the most lacklustre shows they'd ever done (by THEIR standards that is - its not like these were BAD concerts. They werent). It sort of picked up significantly from early November around the time of the Hollywood Bowl dates and the next few months were generally pretty good (the first shows I saw in person were the two MSG shows in January 2006 which were both very good indeed). Things got a bit more up and down post-Fiji. The early shows in the fall '06 tour and some of the first few shows on the European leg in '07 were, I thought, the absolute nadir of their career as a performing band, but in both cases they sorted themselves out and delivered mostly solid and at times very good performances as things went on.

However, its the first tour that I can ever remember, in all the 25 plus years that I've been collecting recordings, where after it was over I've rarely felt the inclination to go back and listen to the shows again. Even the gigs that I attended and enjoyed. Maybe thats a sign of the times in that its now so easy to get recordings within hours or days of them taking place, but its also perhaps partly a reflection that when separated from enjoying the 'event' that is a Stones concert, the shows largely dont stand up to repeated listening. Like I said though, it doesnt alter the fact that I enjoyed myself at each of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 04:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 04:54

I saw 3 BB shows and they all rocked. Mick had the house on the edge with Rambler and the sing alongs on 'Get Off of My Cloud' were the loudest I have ever heard.

I too, read too many negative posts here and its discouraging. Whats the point in slamming Keith, Ronnie or anyone else? Really, whats the point?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 5, 2010 07:32

I think a lot of us still go not only to honor the long tradition of the band, but also hoping for a really good show.

As you say, Gazza, that can still happen on more than a rare occasion.
Post-Fiji, I mean, yeah, that's a pretty significant time to fall and
then rise above.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: August 5, 2010 08:38

jjflash73
I saw 3 BB shows and they all rocked. Mick had the house on the edge with Rambler and the sing alongs on 'Get Off of My Cloud' were the loudest I have ever heard.

I too, read too many negative posts here and its discouraging. Whats the point in slamming Keith, Ronnie or anyone else? Really, whats the point?

boredom

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 5, 2010 17:22

71Tele
texas fan
71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele

What´s wrong with this ?

Honoring and paying respect has been my main motivation for the last several Stones shows I have attended.

Really Tele? I almost can't believe it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 5, 2010 19:17

texas fan

I think at a certain point it gets to be like a pilgrimage for some -- honoring and, to some extent (maybe) re-experiencing all that has gone before. It's sort of like the cultural and personal experience is more important than the music...for that person at that time.

yes, there are numerous types of posters on this board, but this is the Great Divide--between fans of the band's work, which is their music or some portion or phase of it, and fans as supporters of the band in general, which is in a more cultural or tribal sense. Fans of the work may be as much fans of the image--which it might be argued is as important a Rolling Stones product as their music--but this is still different from being an ongoing supporter who anticipates the next tour.

Date: August 5, 2010 19:20

kleermaker
71Tele
texas fan
71Tele
shortfatfanny
71Tele

What´s wrong with this ?

Honoring and paying respect has been my main motivation for the last several Stones shows I have attended.

Really Tele? I almost can't believe it.

Well, I always hope to be musically impressed as in the old days. But the last couple of times I have gone have been more out of loyalty. Even when nothing else is working for me I can always watch and listen to Charlie Watts, which is always a pleasure.

Date: August 5, 2010 22:58

OK, there is a new thread about the same subject.
[www.iorr.org]
We can all move overthere now

-------------------

Date: August 5, 2010 23:15

texas fan
...but I think at a certain point it gets to be like a pilgrimage for some -- honoring and, to some extent (maybe) re-experiencing all that has gone before.

Obviously your wallet will not care.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 23:24

Ket

what?? it was by far the worst tour ever.

OT: why all this negativity and bad energy?
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 5, 2010 21:23

just went back a few years reading some old posts. Alot of pop shots and deragatory comments made about the Stones, alot on Mick Taylor vs. Ron Wood. WTF?

Ya know you catch more flies with honey?

just don't understand bashing the stones on this forum. go away and dont' come back if you dont' have anything nice to say about these guys.

God bless them for even the possibility of another tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 21:24 by marchbaby.

Re: OT: why all this negativity and bad energy?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 5, 2010 21:30

chastizing folks for posts made a few years ago?

hmmm...well, i'm really peeved about something leonard said about mick taylor in 2006 myself...yeah, it's good to get that off my chest

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 5, 2010 21:36

I'm just saying we should be positive and no so negative.

Date: August 5, 2010 21:37

Yeah starting another thread about too many negative posts will really help things.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 21:37 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 5, 2010 21:40

marchbaby

but we live miserable lives and it's only gonna get worse, so if we can't slag our ageing heroes, we really have no reason left to exist....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 5, 2010 21:42

StonesTod
marchbaby

but we live miserable lives and it's only gonna get worse, so if we can't slag our ageing heroes, we really have no reason left to exist....

What a drag it is getting old, eh?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home