Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Why Jack White as Next Producer
Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 2, 2010 14:50

^ Co-sign. And reduce at least to 50% the number of "guests".

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 15:32

I have to say that I thought his duet with Mick on Shine A Light was SUPERB!! By far one of the better duet guest spots they'd done in a long time. Absolutely fabulous.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 2, 2010 15:44

Handova
How about Jon Spencer? ... Now THAT would be interesting!

interesting choice aswell! good taste bro'...

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 16:30

VoodooLounge13
I have to say that I thought his duet with Mick on Shine A Light was SUPERB!! By far one of the better duet guest spots they'd done in a long time. Absolutely fabulous.

..lol

and I suppose you thought Buddy Guy's guest spot was bad

all Jack White's appearance in that movie where he destroyed Loving Cup (one of mny favorite Stones songs) proved was..how far out of his league and depth he was..even when with the Stones long past their prime ..

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 2, 2010 16:34

For what I care, they could even give a second go to Steve Lillywhite, as far as they actually get the thing done fast ... can't wait anymore

C

Date: August 2, 2010 16:51

stones77
VoodooLounge13

all Jack White's appearance in that movie where he destroyed Loving Cup (one of mny favorite Stones songs) proved was..how far out of his league and depth he was..even when with the Stones long past their prime ..

as is said: bye a new pair of ears! jack white is the man. dont you see the torch burning he got from keith?? ;-)

Date: August 2, 2010 17:11

guitarbastard
stones77
VoodooLounge13

as is said: bye a new pair of ears! jack white is the man. dont you see the torch burning he got from keith?? ;-)

i need a new set of ears after suffering through jack white butchering Loving Cup, thank you, because he shredded them

hey, keith defended justin timberlake at the Toronto SARS concert too..

anyway, i liked jack white's music best when i heard it the first time, when leadbelly and son house played it, about 100 years ago

Date: August 2, 2010 17:16

stones77
guitarbastard
stones77
VoodooLounge13

i need a new set of ears after suffering through jack white butchering Loving Cup, thank you, because he shredded them

anyway, i liked jack white's music best when i heard it the first time, when leadbelly and son house played it, about 100 years ago

such a silly argument. what else then playin old blues and turning it into something new did the stones do????

Date: August 2, 2010 17:34

guitarbastard
stones77
guitarbastard
stones77
VoodooLounge13

such a silly argument. what else then playin old blues and turning it into something new did the stones do????

so you think jack white is that good, do ya? is your taste in music seriously that limited? Not even considering all the famous guitarists, I personally know musicians that could blow him off the planet.

besides, doesn’t he look like that kid that was on H.R Puffinstuff back in the 70s? Yeah, I probably watched too much TV as a kid.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:44

In my opinion Jack White is a blues-oriented very good percussive guitar player, without any doubt with restricted technical abilities, but a great feeling, so to say he is another bluesy riff-master. Also Keith and Ronnie are restricted to some extent and both have their strongest moments in playing blues-material. There is just a affinity between Jack W. and them in the concept of music. I'm very curious to hear a nothing but the blues album with titles in the manner of "Ball and Biscuit" from "Elephant" e.g.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 2, 2010 17:57

Go back to analog recordings.

Yes sir good quote!

I think that MJ is not interested

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:08

He stands for maybe the best bands the last then years and it ain`t close to all the commercial shit that are on the A, B and C lists on the radio. A lot of inspirations from the 70th`s. He is the creative himself. That`s why, in my opinion, why I like the idea to let him work with the Stones.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 2, 2010 19:10

JMoisica
"Does Jack have experience producing records?"

Listen to Van Lear Rose, produced by Jack White for Loretta Lynn.

I love that cd. I like the White Stripes & the Raconteurs okay, but Van Lear Rose is miles above that stuff IMO.

I do think that White Stripes are waaaay overrated, it really rankles me that so many people compare them to Zeppelin (which is totally ridiculous, especially in the drumming dept.)

I liked Jack White's singing on Loving Cup a lot...but of course Buddy 'MotherFucking" Guy was way better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 19:13 by Keefan.

Date: August 2, 2010 19:19

Keefan
JMoisica
"Does Jack have experience producing records?"

Listen to Van Lear Rose, produced by Jack White for Loretta Lynn.

I love that cd. I like the White Stripes & the Raconteurs okay, but Van Lear Rose is miles above that stuff IMO.

I do think that White Stripes are waaaay overrated, it really rankles me that so many people compare them to Zeppelin (which is totally ridiculous, especially in the drumming dept.)

I absolutely agree that you you can`t compare WS and Zeppelin. A duo versus a band. Both bands sounds from the same decade but that`s all. Maybe it`s easy to praise a good band today because there are so many bands around produced and made up by Musicfactories and sounds exactly the same? smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 19:22 by tussler.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 2, 2010 20:26

marquess
I would prefer Jack White over Was.

But I would really prefer Rick Rubin over Jack White.

Really, what I would prefer was a new Stones album in 2011 no matter what producer..

:-)

I agree about Rick Rubin,but it was reported at the time of Wandering Spirit he clashed with Mick - "you can write better songs than that".

My only concern with JW is, like Was, he is too much of a fan and won't tell them when they churn out shite like 1/3 OF VL, 1/3 of BTB and 1/2 of ABB.

sc uk

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:16

because he's an exceptionally talented and knowledgable musician and a White produced album would make a change from the insepid, faux-radio friendly, sub-standard work, Don Was produces.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:22

The only slight concern I would have with a White-produced Stones LP is that he may get a bigger billing than the Stones. If it can be made clear that the Stones are fully in charge and White stays in the background, then this could be an interesting set of recordings.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:44

Big Al
The only slight concern I would have with a White-produced Stones LP is that he may get a bigger billing than the Stones. If it can be made clear that the Stones are fully in charge and White stays in the background, then this could be an interesting set of recordings.

if the stones are fully in charge, what diff does it make whether it's jack white or betty white producing the thing?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 2, 2010 22:52

I'll be happy for a new album however we can get it. If I could choose, I'd have Rob Fraboni in the producer's chair with Ben Elliott engineering. I doubt Mick would want that and quite honestly Universal wouldn't either.

Date: August 3, 2010 00:00

StonesTod
Big Al

if the stones are fully in charge, what diff does it make whether it's jack white or betty white producing the thing?

quite honestly I'd prefer Betty

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 3, 2010 00:21

StonesTod

OK, perhaps I should have worded things slightly differently: I would hope that White wouldn't overshadow the Stones - because, IMO, that could happen. The LP could be proclaimed to be a great White production, rather than a good songwriting effort by Mick and Keith.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 00:38

don´t like him, not the music not the voice.

i like some of the songs but nothing seems to be finished.

my biggest problem with him is that everything he does, stripes, raconteurs, bad weather sounds very dated.

in another thread someone posted a video of the raconteurs.

that sound was out 40 years ago. as boring as it can get.

jack white would be a step bachwards for the stones, or two.

Date: August 3, 2010 00:57

Stoneswashed wrote:

...that sound was out 40 years ago...and i like some of the songs but nothing seems to be finished.

Hehe, that`s why I love his music, but I would use the word unpolished rather than not finished.

But it`s all about taste.

And in the end even if Jack produce it, it don`t necesserly end as a clean Jack W. album and of course it could also end as a failure even I don`t believe it

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: August 3, 2010 02:17

I don't like Jack White at all. I've given his music a chance but he sucks.

Having said that, I do think he could get better work out of the Stones than Was can at this point.

It does not mean that he would make the Stones sound like the White Stripes. He actually likes good music he just can't seem to make it himself.

Jimmy Iovine said after three albums you should fire your producer. I think Was should go no matter what. But I bet you the next album will be Was produced.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 3, 2010 06:28

KeefintheNight82
But I bet you the next album will be Was produced.

If he does,well,that's a bummer.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: August 3, 2010 06:30

ghostryder13
what the stones need to do is go back to recording on tape instead of a computer. and with all 4 in the studio at the same time

Agree! Jack White would accomplish that goal. All analog. Was Main Offender the last Stones analog album? Tom Waits would do it, too.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 3, 2010 08:38

billwebster

Rob Fraboni should produce the next one.

Good call.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 3, 2010 08:43

VoodooLounge13

I was there at the Beacon, and first it was just great to get "Loving Cup" at all, and second, better Jack White than Christina Aguilera, who is utterly vulgar (I don't mean sexy, I mean vulgar - there is a difference).

Date: August 3, 2010 12:07

KeefintheNight82

But I bet you the next album will be Was produced.

18 songs produced by don was all jaggerised and half of it lousy fillers.
i wont even listen to it...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 3, 2010 14:02

It could be that Stones could do with a producer if the glimmer twins actually let the producer produce. I don't see that happening now. Anyway, I really hope Jack White doesn't come near the Stones music more than he already has. Shine A Light isn't a good testament for the Stones musically, and JW sure didn't help with his poor contribution. (Although it could be that he is a better producer than musician...)

As for analog vs. digital, that's a great hype too. Recording digitally is much easier and is way faster. Also, the technology is there to make the digital recording sound analog if that's the goal. If there actually is a difference I'm pretty sure very few of us would notice it if we didn't know.

If (or when?) they decide to do a new album, we should be glad they actually give us some new music and not be too concerned about how they actually do it. The Stones won't, and shouldn't, listen to us anyway. I mean, who is the true experts on Stones music?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home