Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Skynrd Fans?
Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 08:12

I hate to go off topic but I never saw this before.

More

Skynyrd blew the Stones off the Knebworth stage in 76 with this sh*t.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 08:23 by stones77.

Re: Skynrd Fans?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 10:11

i belive the foorage is from asbury park new jersey 1977 but not 100% sure. great stuff

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 30, 2010 10:46

There's some B&W live footage on the Freebird movie, possibly from the same show?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 30, 2010 11:14

Sure, but I haven't seen them live...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 30, 2010 11:36

Heard the realy long Freebird on a rock station the other day and must have lasted 10-15 minutes.Absolutely terrific!!!Then I thought that I had never seen another band cover that including countless pub bands that are realy,realy good musicians! smoking smiley

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 30, 2010 11:51

stones77
I hate to go off topic but I never saw this before.

More

Skynyrd blew the Stones off the Knebworth stage in 76 with this sh*t.

All this talk about The Stones being blown of the stage by these, well i was there and thought they were good, well very good but no way did they blow the Stones off the stage.

It's all a matter of what you like really, if Lynard is you favorite band then yes, but I think its all a bit of a myth. Lynard Skynard were good but the stones were better, even if they were stoned out of their heads.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 30, 2010 13:28

I had the good fortune of seeing Skynyrd before the tragic plane crash.

Great band.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 30, 2010 13:40

Did Lynryd Skynyd blow the Stones offstage?

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: July 30, 2010 13:48

Warning: explicit language:

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 30, 2010 13:48

Edith Grove
I had the good fortune of seeing Skynyrd before the tragic plane crash.

Great band.

Me too, EG. Twice in 1976 (I was 15). Once with the mighty Steve Gaines. Greatly missed.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 30, 2010 13:52

A previous thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Date: July 30, 2010 16:02

ok, I clicked on mister frias link

[www.iorr.org]

Re: Was Anyone Here at Knebworth 1976
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 12, 2009 14:53

I was there.

Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd were on fire and were the top act of the day.

If they had immediately preceded the Stones then certainly you could say that the Stones would have been blown off stage.

I can't remember who, if anyone came inbetween LS and 10cc - but the 10cc set went on and on and on and on - far outstayed their welcome - everyone looking forward to the 'main act'.

But then after 10cc - the interminable wait. It had been a long hot day. People were tired. Stones were too late and couldn't get the audience going.

The Stones were sloppy, careless, unprofessional, you name it. Nice to get some 'new', (i.e. old!) numbers.

But a total anticlimax. And this is an honest account from someone who, despite the disappointment of Earls Courtin May, still considered himself their biggest fan!

...this is basically the account I had heard as well of that show, prompting my initial comment. The Stones are also my favourite band, not Skynyrd, although Skynryd circa 73-77 (original band) are pretty close to the top of my all time favourites.

who was the genius that put 10cc on between Skynyrd and the Stones? I hope he got fired

the addition of Steve Gaines, like Mick Taylor with the Stones, only served to make that band better .. in fact on a technical level Gaines was every bit as good.

but I wasn't intending on making it a 'Stones vs Skynyrd at Knebworth' thing.. nor did I know this had already been discussed (being rather new to the scene here, I haven't read the 80 or so zillion threads in entirety)..so sorry for that

the idea was just to show some Skynyrd footage I for one had never seen.. with some incredible playing and really good sound to boot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 16:10 by stones77.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 30, 2010 16:25

No worries. I always like to see Lynryd Skynryd footage myself. Especially never-seen or rarely-seen footage of the original members. The thread I linked had some good clips.

My point in posting the link was in regards to the last line of your original post -- that who was better that day at Knebworth is hotly debated.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 16:27 by misterfrias.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 17:49

Yes, I like them enough, but am really a casual fan at best I guess, but they've a lot of great songs.

Date: July 30, 2010 18:43

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 30, 2010 19:01

Date: July 30, 2010 19:10

Edith Grove

i'm guessing that's from knebworth given the Stones 'lips' stage

hard act to follow man.. you gotta be on your game to top that

proof that although Skynryd had 3 guitarists..it wasn't just for show or looks..all those dudes could PLAY

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 19:27

They really did have a lot of good songs and yes, the guitarist were all first rate. I was listening to box set of their music and I was amazed at the quality of their songs.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 30, 2010 19:30

Wonderful band

Date: July 30, 2010 20:57

the more I look around I am discovering all kinds of great old original Skynyrd band videos circa 1976-77, that I didn't know were out there

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:55

First time I saw them they opened for the Marshall Tucker Band..

The crowd really liked them, me included but when Toy Caldwell ripped into:

Hillbilly Band (their opening number) I looked at my friend, who plays guitar
and we both sgreed, Toy was better than all three of Skynrd's guitarists
combined, Skynrd's original lineup!!!

MLC

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: July 31, 2010 02:58

Only one original member still remains in the band...Gary Rossington. Drummer Artimus Pyle estranged quite a few years back but still around.

RIP

Ronnie Van Zant
Steve Gaines
Cassie Gaines
Allen Collins died pneumonia 1990
Billy Powell died heart attack 2009
Leon Wilkerson died liver failure 2001

a link to the events surrounding the tragic plane crash:

[www.angelfire.com]

Date: July 31, 2010 03:49

bob burns is still alive, ed king is still alive. i don't care what anone says ricky medlocke is an original member

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 31, 2010 05:39

MCDDTLC
First time I saw them they opened for the Marshall Tucker Band..

The crowd really liked them, me included but when Toy Caldwell ripped into:

Hillbilly Band (their opening number) I looked at my friend, who plays guitar
and we both sgreed, Toy was better than all three of Skynrd's guitarists
combined, Skynrd's original lineup!!!

MLC

I love the original Lynyrd Skynyrd but I have to admit, if you've heard one live version of a Skynyrd song, you've basically heard them all. There was no jamming, no improvisation. The guitarists played the exact same licks and solos note for note everytime. They were great guitarists and I am forever indebted to Allen Collins especially for being the initial inspiration for me to start playing guitar, but it's hard for me to put the Skynyrd guitarists in the same league as Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Peter Green, etc... because as great as some of the Skynyrd guitar parts and solos are, they were composed instead of improvised as most great guitarists would do. I will say that Steve Gaines was an incredible player.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 31, 2010 16:15

Tumblin_Dice_07
MCDDTLC

MLC

I love the original Lynyrd Skynyrd but I have to admit, if you've heard one live version of a Skynyrd song, you've basically heard them all. There was no jamming, no improvisation. The guitarists played the exact same licks and solos note for note everytime. They were great guitarists and I am forever indebted to Allen Collins especially for being the initial inspiration for me to start playing guitar, but it's hard for me to put the Skynyrd guitarists in the same league as Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Peter Green, etc... because as great as some of the Skynyrd guitar parts and solos are, they were composed instead of improvised as most great guitarists would do. I will say that Steve Gaines was an incredible player.

Nonsense - playing with precision is also a skill. There is more to music than improvising.

Date: July 31, 2010 17:38

bob burns is still alive, ed king is still alive. i don't care what anone says ricky medlocke is an original member

burns (original drummer) is still alive but rickey medlocke was not an original member of skynyrd, though.

the original first members were ronnie van zant, allen collins (guitar), gary rossington (guitar), larry junstrom (bass) and bob burns (drums). that was in or about 1965 when these guys were around 16 or so and in high school; i think they were called the collegiates or something like that, then

those are the founding members and original members

rickey medlocke knew these guys then but was not a member of the original band; he was in his own band (blackfoot) but he sat in (for a brief period) around 1969/70 on drums with skynyrd and appears on a few records of early pre-first album and demo material, singing on a few tracks as well

he became mainly busy and focused on his own band, blackfoot, and within a year he left drumming in skynyrd to go back to guitar in blackfoot

he rejoined skynryd in 1996 and still is in the band

larry junstrom was eventually replaced by leon wilkeson on bass in 1972 prior to skynrd's first album release, and later wound up in 38 special on bass with ronnie van zant's brother, donnie (vocals)

bob burns was replaced by artimus pyle in 1974

ed king joined the line up in 1972 but knew skynrd from 1968 when skynryd opened some shows for 'strawberry alarm clock' - the LA based outfit that king was an original member of

the alarm clock had a #1 hit with 'incense and peppermints' in 1967, which king co-wrote

king, a guitarist, replaced leon wilkeson on bass in 1972, for a time until wilkeson returned and king went on guitar, cementing the 3 guitar line up for the first time

king is all over the band's first few records, he co-wrote 'sweet home alabama' with van zant and that is his voice counting in at the beginning and his opening guitar riff

king left skynryd in 1975 and was replaced by steve gaines

gaines, sadly, as we all know was killed in 1977 along with his sister (back up singer) van zant, and some associates

weirdly, ed king and steve gaines share the same birthdate, sept 14 1949

skynyrd was inducted in to the rock and roll hall of fame in 2006

billy powell (piano) incidentally was part of the band's road crew in and around 1971-72 lugging skynyrd's equipment around as an opening act to bands like Mountain (w/Leslie West)

but he was a classically trained pianist, though, and one night he began tinkering on a piano improvising a piano part for the song 'freebird' which skynyrd had already begun showcasing; the rest of the band was astonished, and immediately told Powell he was no longer a roadie and now a band member, and that is why freebird wound up with piano parts when their first record was released, because the original demos didn't have piano

I love the original Lynyrd Skynyrd but I have to admit, if you've heard one live version of a Skynyrd song, you've basically heard them all. There was no jamming, no improvisation. The guitarists played the exact same licks and solos note for note everytime.

that's ridiculous; sure skynyrd wasn't a band that improvised to the degree of say the allman brothers, but still that is not to say they never jammed on stage because they did

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 17:46 by stones77.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 31, 2010 18:02

Date: July 31, 2010 18:38

I like the truckers and their neil young and crazy horse type of vibe; pity none of 'em can sing though

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 31, 2010 19:42

I like Patterson's singing, only because he is tuneful.

The best singer left - Jason Isbell.

Patterson, like many people with a brain, has made it clear that the Skynrd after the crash sucks.

Date: July 31, 2010 19:49

Hey, ya'll ! The t-shirt still fits !

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home