Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RCA Studio's Los Angeles Location?
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 28, 2010 07:23

Does anyone know the address of the RCA studio's in Los Angeles? I am planning a visit there early next year and would like to see some of the famous studio's (I have the addresses of Western Recorders, Radio Recorders, and Sunset Studios, and I have seen the Capitol Records Building).
Thanks for any help!

Re: RCA Studio's Los Angeles Location?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 28, 2010 09:15

[www.hotfrog.com]

This is the original RCA studio in L.A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 09:17 by BluzDude.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 28, 2010 14:51

Here a picture from Google Maps Street View.
Looks a bit sloppy this neighbourhood.

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 28, 2010 15:04

2120 south michigan avenue as the song is titled...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 28, 2010 15:07

Come On

That's Chess Records former address in Chicago.

Peace
Mr DJA

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 28, 2010 15:43

mr_dja
Come On

That's Chess Records former address in Chicago.

Peace
Mr DJA

Peace! thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2010 18:16

Thanks, as I've found with some studios, it may not look like much outside but what happened inside is a different story.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 28, 2010 19:15

The RCA studios were located at 6363 Sunset Boulevard, cross street is Ivar.
It was the former home of RCA Records (naturally), and the three studios were located in the basement (or on the ground floor). It is now the home of the Los Angeles Film School, and the studios were sadly torn out many years ago. However, I have no idea what took their place. It could be a room for teaching film sound production and editing or something like that. I don't think there's anything left of it's glory days. A damn shame.

Date: October 28, 2010 19:27

tomk, is the RCA building a round structure located across the street from a large sphere?

Date: October 28, 2010 20:27

Happy Jack
tomk, is the RCA building a round structure located across the street from a large sphere?

No, it's the 6-7 story building to the left. Are you looking at Google Maps?
There used to be (I don't know if it's still there) a great Italian restaurant on Ivar across the street from RCA.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2010 22:58

The 'Sphere' is the old Cineramdome, which is now the Arc Light Cinemas. Next door is Amoeba records, where McCartney and Elvis Costello have played in recent years.

Date: October 28, 2010 23:02

I was looking at Google Maps and it placed the marker outside the round building (not cineramdome). Thanks for the info. I take it the 6110 Santa Monica address was an older RCA studio (not the one the Stones or Elvis recorded in)?

Date: October 28, 2010 23:39

Happy Jack
I was looking at Google Maps and it placed the marker outside the round building (not cineramdome). Thanks for the info. I take it the 6110 Santa Monica address was an older RCA studio (not the one the Stones or Elvis recorded in)?

Well, go to Google maps and look for the intersection of Sunset and Ivar and then just arrow around. IT's the north-east corner. It used to be an all-white building, and they seem to have been doing a lot of work around the outside. I don't remember that the last time I was there (last January).

Also of interest:
Gold Star Studios: 6262 Santa Monica Blvd (at Vine). Used by Spector,Beach Boys, The Who, Buffalo Springfield. Torn down and now a mini-mall.

Columbia Studios: 6121 Sunset Blvd. The Byrds did most of their mid-60s records here. I think it is still used by CBS radio.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2010 00:57

Happy Jack

Elvis and the Stones recorded at the one at 6363 Sunset.

Date: October 29, 2010 01:06

Gazza
Happy Jack

Elvis and the Stones recorded at the one at 6363 Sunset.

Add to that list the Monkees, Jefferson Airplane, Harry Nilsson, Sam Cooke (later years), plus dozens of others. Dave Hassinger was the chief engineer,as was Hank Cicalo.

Date: October 29, 2010 07:57

Thanks, I got it now. I might have to check out the Amoeba records across the street. My dad said he went to the one in San Francisco and he said it was amazing. FYI, I plan to go there in early spring of 2011 (Los Angeles that is) and so if I make it I will post my pictures of some of these famous studios (or what's left of them).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 29, 2010 07:59

Isn't that a Jack In The Box on the Northeast Corner?

Date: October 29, 2010 08:52

24FPS
Isn't that a Jack In The Box on the Northeast Corner?

Yes, it is.

Date: October 29, 2010 09:03

Happy Jack
Thanks, I got it now. I might have to check out the Amoeba records across the street. My dad said he went to the one in San Francisco and he said it was amazing. FYI, I plan to go there in early spring of 2011 (Los Angeles that is) and so if I make it I will post my pictures of some of these famous studios (or what's left of them).

You may want to check out a book called Riot On Sunset Strip by Domenic Priore. Besides being an excellent book on the LA/Hollywood music scene in the 60s, it also lists the names and addresses of every club, recording studio, restaurant, bar,clothing store, record store, cinema, head shop, diner,cocktail lounge that ever existed in LA or on the Strip in the 1960s.

Date: October 29, 2010 19:04

Wow Tomk, I might not have that much time out there. I do plan to visit some of the major music places (Whisky A Go-Go, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Shrine Auditorium etc) but I don't need to see every club, restaurant, etc. Thanks though for the heads up!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 29, 2010 19:30

I second tomk's recommendation - it's an excellent book.

And Amoeba LA is the best record store I've ever seen.

Also, the Hollywood Palladium is a couple of blocks away from RCA/Amoeba on Sunset.

Date: October 29, 2010 21:58

Happy Jack
Wow Tomk, I might not have that much time out there. I do plan to visit some of the major music places (Whisky A Go-Go, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Shrine Auditorium etc) but I don't need to see every club, restaurant, etc. Thanks though for the heads up!

Indeed, it was an awesome list in the book. I could make a copy of it and send it to you if you want. That stretch of Sunset from Ivar to,say Doheny is so rich in R&R history. That was my old stomping ground. Actually, I'm going back there in January for visit myself.

Date: October 29, 2010 23:11

tomk,I'd like that list, so that if I do go by any of those locations I know what I'm looking at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home