Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jump On Top Of Me Baby
Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: July 31, 2010 22:52

This is one song I've come to love over the years but it's hardly ever discussed or thought of as one of the band's classics. I find that odd because it has many of the trademark hooks that make up some of the Stones' best songs such as bawdy tongue in cheek lyrics, great backbeat, terrific intertwining guitars, it just flat out rocks.

Honestly, I don't know much of the history of the song either - if anyone has any insight into it, I'd be grateful to learn. Frankly it sounds like one of the band's older numbers in many ways.

Shame it was a B-side and never got much attention.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts are about JOTOMB.

Re: Jump On Top Of Me Baby
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 31, 2010 23:07

TrackTalk

I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.

- Mick Jagger, 1994

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2010 23:09

throwaway, by-the-numbers berry rocker.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:01

This song has the Voodoo Lounge laid back flavor to it...wish it was included in the original, replacing Sweethearts.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:28

Mick said, "And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired."

So he was something "like" tired but he wasn't "actually" tired. Hence the reason he was able to actually be "bothered", as he puts it, to actually, I dunno, DO SOMETHING.

Goddamn. What a hard job it must be. What an @#$%&. "I'm sorry Mick but you really need to just, YOU KNOW, write something and just do it and get it done with and it'll be over. For a B-side. It's part of your job being who you are. It's not like you're doing open heart surgery or saving a building from catching on fire and killing thousands of people."

Date: August 1, 2010 00:42

OpenGspot
This is one song I've come to love over the years but it's hardly ever discussed or thought of as one of the band's classics. I find that odd because it has many of the trademark hooks that make up some of the Stones' best songs such as bawdy tongue in cheek lyrics, great backbeat, terrific intertwining guitars, it just flat out rocks.

Honestly, I don't know much of the history of the song either - if anyone has any insight into it, I'd be grateful to learn. Frankly it sounds like one of the band's older numbers in many ways.

Shame it was a B-side and never got much attention.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts are about JOTOMB.

Thank you, Amused! Appreciate the background info!

Date: August 1, 2010 00:47

StonesTod

The rock and roll cupboard would be rather bare without "by the number berry rockers", no?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:53

OpenGspot
StonesTod

The rock and roll cupboard would be rather bare without "by the number berry rockers", no?

mine wouldn't

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 1, 2010 01:09

One of the few tracks from the Bill-less years where the Stones are still rockin´n´rolling instead of just rockin´...

Superb groovy rhythm!grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2010 01:22

skipstone

So he was something "like" tired but he wasn't "actually" tired. Hence the reason he was able to actually be "bothered", as he puts it, to actually, I dunno, DO SOMETHING.

Goddamn. What a hard job it must be. What an @#$%&. "I'm sorry Mick but you really need to just, YOU KNOW, write something and just do it and get it done with and it'll be over. For a B-side. It's part of your job being who you are. It's not like you're doing open heart surgery or saving a building from catching on fire and killing thousands of people."

Agreed that there are tougher jobs ou there, but this is kind of thankless...'jingle writing'...no inspiration or creativity, just churn out a few throwaways.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2010 01:23

StonesTod
OpenGspot
StonesTod

mine wouldn't

I agree...these songs are unnecessary.
They add nothing.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 1, 2010 01:29

If what amused quoted is correct then well I am a little shocked... No effort and the three best tracks of that album come out!?!?! I think they need to
Quit trying to get a "hit" and write
Damn good songs and the rest would fall into place. Mick needs to quit being relevant and he will be

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 1, 2010 01:44

Mick needs to be "bothered" is what it boils down to. If they can just toss this kind of shit off in their sleep why do we get such utter crap as Streets Of Love and the lot of those kind of songs?

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: August 1, 2010 02:46

LOVE.THIS.SONG. What's not to like? It's Mick being sexy! smiling bouncing smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 1, 2010 05:19

It's only rock and roll, but I like this one! I remember in the States this song sort of came out of nowhere...being released on the soundtrack of Prêt-à-Porter, but when I heard it, it just felt right. Reminded me of She's So Cold for some reason.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: August 1, 2010 06:50

a song that never gets tired

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 1, 2010 07:16

StonesTod
OpenGspot
StonesTod

mine wouldn't

Mine would

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 15:08

Great song! And a good analogy with She's So Cold! Good groove, and some interesting interplay...great live too!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 1, 2010 19:37

every Stones fan should jagger's comments as posted by Amused. They explain a lot, and not just about this one track.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:00

The inst. version on voodoo brew is cool too. They also played it live once or twice, so it wasn't the throwaway that some people like to claim.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:16

I think it's great. It has a very loose natural feel in the music and lryics. probbaly because it was tossed off it was written with less thought and studied pretention.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:29

Lynd8
The inst. version on voodoo brew is cool too. They also played it live once or twice, so it wasn't the throwaway that some people like to claim.

some people like mick?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 20:47

skipstone

to write a good song you need to be a lot more awake than for doing open heart surgery,

i know this for a fact.

but i get your point anyway and agree mostly. his life can´t be that hard really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-01 20:51 by stoneswashed77.

Date: August 1, 2010 20:49

treaclefingers
StonesTod
OpenGspot
StonesTod

mine wouldn't

I agree...these songs are unnecessary.
They add nothing.

agree

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 1, 2010 21:05

We get sol because the stones are tying to be relevant. If they would stop trying to be relevant and kick ass they would get both and a damn good album thrown in.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 1, 2010 23:16

Here are the boys playing it live at what sounds like a soundcheck.

Date: August 2, 2010 00:17

punkfloyd
Here are the boys playing it live at what sounds like a soundcheck.

i like this version.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 2, 2010 00:49

I first heard of this song on a CDROM interactive called Voodoo Lounge. I cannot play it now because the CDROM will not work on my computer. The studio version is a lot of fun. True Stones spirit and sense of humor.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:03

Love it, thinks it totally rocks, dash-off or not. Sometimes the magic works.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:29

cc
Lynd8

some people like mick?

He's been known to be the king of bullshit. LOL But it does have the feel of a quickly put together song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 01:32 by Lynd8.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home