Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 9
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 27, 2010 21:40

A co-ordinated message from Desolation Row and ISIS Dylan fansites:

A month ago, ISIS ended their report on the 40-CD* box-set rumour as follows:

There are two other Dylan projects on-going at present. One is an 8-CD set of Dylan’s earliest albums in mono. The other is the next Bootleg Series release, as mentioned in ISIS # 150 (on page 9 and page 18). No release date has yet been set for either but both projects are being prepared for release around the same time, later this year. In respect of the next Bootleg Series release, rumours some time back suggested a set of non-live recordings, well-known to collectors but in better quality, but nothing has been confirmed at the time of writing (mid-June 2010) and Sony’s plans could change meanwhile.

It seems that this report was correct and that Sony’s plans have not changed.

The next Bootleg Series release, Volume 9, will indeed be “a set of non-live recordings, well-known to collectors”, as stated. Although based on “The Witmark Demos”, sources say it will include some Leeds demo recordings as well. There are said to be 47 tracks. There is no information as to the packaging for this release.

Each album in “The 8-CD set of Dylan’s earliest albums in mono” will have a paper sleeve and the set will be in a slipcase, with a booklet, including liner notes by Greil Marcus. The albums will be from “Bob Dylan” to “John Wesley Harding” and it is believed that all are being freshly mastered for this release, using first issue copies of the mono LPs for reference, in order to ensure that they get the sound to match that on the albums when they were first released. Back at that time, albums were principally mixed for mono release, with less care and attention being paid to the stereo mixes, and many collectors prefer the mono versions. None have been issued officially on CD in mono before, although mono bootleg CDs are not unknown.

The official announcement of these two box-sets is expected in mid to late August, two months ahead of their actual release - itself about two months before Christmas. This suggests when Sony hopes to gain its greatest sales but why are the two being released at the same time? Most likely Sony is trying to tempt the buyers of one set to buy the other, too, on the assumption that the two sets will be reviewed together in the press and that reviewers may well compare “early” and “final” versions of some songs across the two releases.

Re: OT - Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 9
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 27, 2010 21:48

new Bootleg Series! can't wait. there's no release in the series that's not priceless.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 27, 2010 21:48

Cool...thanks for the heads up!

Date: July 27, 2010 21:52

For anyone unfamiliar with the Witmark Demos & Leeds Music Demos, the track listings of the circulating recordings are as follows (These are different versions than those released on Bob's early albums and the sound quality on the circulating Witmark demos varies from near excellent to merely decent. Certainly an official release would be a significant upgrade in quality)

Witmark Demos (New York, NY);
[June 62]
Blowin in the Wind
[November 62]
Long Ago Far Away
[December 62]
A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall
Baby I'm in the Mood
Ballad of Hollis Brown
The Death of Emmett Till
Let Me Die in My Footsteps
Quit Your Lowdown Ways
Tomorrow is a Long Time
[late winter 63]
All Over You
Bound to Lose, Bound to Win
I'd Hate to Be You On That Dreadful Day
Talkin John Birch Society Blues
[March 63]
Don't Think Twice
Long Time Gone
Masters of War
Oxford Town
Walking Down the Line
[April 63]
Bob Dylan's Blues
Bob Dylan's Dream
Boots of Spanish Leather
I Shall be Free
[May 63]
Girl from the North Country
Hero Blues
Seven Curses
[August 63]
Ain't Gonna Grieve
Gypsy Lou
John Brown
Only a Hobo
Watcha Gonna Do
[September 63]
Times They Are a Changin
When the Ship Comes In
[December 63]
Farewell
Paths of Victory
[January 64]
Baby Let Me Follow You Down
Guess I'm Doing Fine
[June 64]
I'll Keep it With Mine
Mama You Been on My Mind (guitar)
Mama You Been on My Mind (piano)
Mr Tambourine Man

"This is a large and impressive body of studio work that took place over the course of a couple of years. The purpose of these sessions was to record demos for Witmark Publishing of songs that other artists might be interested in performing. Some of these songs were later released by Dylan, but not the versions here though. The most famous of these include Blowing In the Wind, Mr. Tambourine Man, Hard Rain, etc. Others were recorded at later CBS album sessions but not released, such as Tomorrow Is a Long Time, Farewell, Seven Curses, etc. Then there are the more obscure songs: Long Ago, Far Away, Guess I'm Doing Fine, Bound To Lose, Ain't Gonna Grieve. It's easy to see why these more obscure songs remain obscure. They just weren't that good. Of the more familiar songs that appear here, I'm convinced that these sound every bit as good, if not better, than the officially released versions. Plus there are some real unusual things here, such as piano demos of Mr. Tambourine Man, When the Ship Comes In, Mama You Been On My Mind, and The Times They Are A-Changin', among others". - [www.punkhart.com]

Leeds Music Demos, New York, Nov 1961* & February 1962

01: Hard Times In New York Town
02: Poor Boy Blues
03: Ballad For A Friend
04: Rambling Gambling Willie
05: Man On The Street
06: Talkin’ Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues
07: Standing On The Highway
08: He Was A Friend of Mine *
09: Man On The Street *

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 21:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 27, 2010 21:54

Thanks Gazza

Well that's somewhat good news.....allthough "well known to the collectors" doesn't sound to uplifting. Historic session though

I was hoping for a "LIVE 1978" release.

Allready have nearly all the vinyls in mono....and yes those mixes are the definite ones, just like most Rolling Stones and Beatles records of the 60s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 21:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 27, 2010 22:06

40 CDs ... smiling bouncing smileyeye popping smiley

Date: July 27, 2010 22:07

I havent listened to the Witmark stuff for many years, Erik - probably because the quality on some of it isnt as good as much of the other Dylan studio material thats in circulation.

So, this will almost be like getting something fresh.

The rule of thumb seems to be that Sony will release a Bootleg Series in the years where Bob doesn't release a new studio album.

Date: July 27, 2010 22:07

I was hoping for a Gospel Tour release ...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 27, 2010 22:10

good news....but not for my bank account.
Will start saving my pennies.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:14

Still waiting for the "Basement Tapes" the genuine version that is.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:23

yawn - most of us avid collectors have all these tracks for decades now. SOMETHING NEW, please!!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:59

my collection of the monos is spotty, so I'm actually more excited by that. Since Dylan was so spontaneous in the studio, it stands to reason that the Witmark performances could be just as good as the album cuts, yet I rarely listen to them. And the track listing overlaps significantly with disc 1 of Vol. 1.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: July 28, 2010 00:27

I'm totally with Erik Snow and Nikolai. A 1978 summer (or december) show or a gospel show would have been my favourites for another Bootleg Series, too.

I'm happy that there is a new BS to be released, but I think they put too much emphasis on the 60s (especially early 60s) given the man's incredibly diverse career. A gospel show would have been a more daring but also a more interesting move I think.

Date: July 28, 2010 00:58

cc
my collection of the monos is spotty, so I'm actually more excited by that. Since Dylan was so spontaneous in the studio, it stands to reason that the Witmark performances could be just as good as the album cuts, yet I rarely listen to them. And the track listing overlaps significantly with disc 1 of Vol. 1.

Just to clarify. I've just listed what Witmark Demos are in circulation.

Thats not the track listing of the upcoming official release.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:42

MacPhisto
I'm totally with Erik Snow and Nikolai. A 1978 summer (or december) show or a gospel show would have been my favourites for another Bootleg Series, too.

I'm happy that there is a new BS to be released, but I think they put too much emphasis on the 60s (especially early 60s) given the man's incredibly diverse career. A gospel show would have been a more daring but also a more interesting move I think.

There are some great Gospel era boots on Expectingrain.com -- Look for "the Child's Balloon" (1981 New Orleans) and Rock Solid (1980).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:01

Still waiting for a deluxe Blood on the Tracks with all the alternate versions and left-off songs in one place! They had indicated years ago that this was being planned. Anyone know what happened?

Date: July 28, 2010 02:06

71Tele
Still waiting for a deluxe Blood on the Tracks with all the alternate versions and left-off songs in one place! They had indicated years ago that this was being planned. Anyone know what happened?

it's been pushed out to Vol. 23 - released date, Fall, 2023

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:08

StonesTod
71Tele

Thanks for that. I have my pre-order in on Amazon.

Date: July 28, 2010 02:09

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

Thanks for that. I have my pre-order in on Amazon.

make sure you make that a next-day delivery...every day counts.

Date: July 28, 2010 02:15

cc

There might not be such a big need in doing it *now*....since the mono releases will be out on CD - but I recommend the recent "sundazed" heavy vinyl pressings. They are nearly as good as the 1st editions.

But it's better to get "new and mint" sundazed re-pressings, than old and worn "real pressings" (the NM 1st editions are very expensive...as you might know)

(The only *real mint* 1st edition mono I have is a UK "Highway 61 revisited" ...unmatchable in soundquality)

Date: July 28, 2010 02:18

TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

There are some great Gospel era boots on Expectingrain.com -- Look for "the Child's Balloon" (1981 New Orleans) and Rock Solid (1980).

...but strangely and sadly enough, there are NO SBD recordings of Europe or America 1978 - which stands for me as the strongest run of shows Bob Dylan ever did.
So....it would be very welcome with a "Live 1978" release, I'd think
Especially "Blackbushe" would be a good idea to release, since it's a very "legendary performance".....a lot of people in UK attanded that one - and it's maybe the very best show of 1978 as well....PLUS - it was recorded professionally. Hope Bob is reading this thread.

Date: July 28, 2010 02:21

Erik_Snow
TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

...but strangely and sadly enough, there are NO SBD recordings of Europe or America 1978 - which stands for me as the strongest run of shows Bob Dylan ever did.
So....it would be very welcome with a "Live 1978" release, I'd think
Especially "Blackbushe" would be a good idea to release, since it's a very "legendary performance".....a lot of people in UK attanded that one - and it's maybe the very best show of 1978 as well....PLUS - it was recorded professionally. Hope Bob is reading this thread.

i don't think bob's calling the shots...approving them, yes.

i'd go for a latter '78 show, too. it's really the only live run that interests me for this series...

Date: July 28, 2010 02:38

StonesTod
i'd go for a latter '78 show, too. it's really the only live run that interests me for this series...

Yes - among the "more possible releases" - I agree

The American tour of sept 1965 - march 1966 is the only one comparable, when it comes to personal interest. But I don't even know if he recorded those shows. (Paris 1966 was reorded though....but that's not America)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 02:39 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 28, 2010 02:59

Erik_Snow
There might not be such a big need in doing it *now*....since the mono releases will be out on CD - but I recommend the recent "sundazed" heavy vinyl pressings. They are nearly as good as the 1st editions.

yes! I have BIABH and Highway 61 from Sundazed. I actually don't listen very often to the albums before that, even Freewheeling, so I'd have to consider this mono set carefully.

Date: July 28, 2010 03:05

cc
Erik_Snow

yes! I have BIABH and Highway 61 from Sundazed. I actually don't listen very often to the albums before that, even Freewheeling, so I'd have to consider this mono set carefully.

Neither do I; actually - even though a lot of people find the 1961-1964 years to his *most interesting* years...and yes it's historical and inportant; but I rarely put on a Dylan album/session/concert prior to Bringing It All Back Home.

The Freewheelin is a milestone of course - it's sometimes being played over here

But even the recent "Live 1964" release.....I must confess I've hardly played it, after the 1st listen......maybe "never" is more correct" than "hardly", actually

Date: July 28, 2010 08:35

yeah, I'm just not into "folk" as such so that whole period of Dylan is mixed for me. I find the live performances more consistently moving, Newport '64 in particular. And fun things like the Studs Terkel show.

Live 1964 is All Hallow's Eve, right? There's something smug about that show, particularly from the audience, that turns me off. I love the lost live 1963 album, though. I guess we're talking about a very creative but young man who's rather different from month to month in this phase.

one thing about Freewheelin' is how unusually long it is... every time I play it I realize I've forgotten about some of the songs, or never really paid attention to them. And still there were all those outtakes. Amazing.

Date: July 28, 2010 10:38

TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

Great picks, mate. They're amazing shows, those two. I think Rock Solid was taken from an official (yet unreleased) CBS recording of a gospel-era show in Toronto, wasn't it? Amazing sound quality.

And I also agree that a 1978 tour compendium wouldn't go amiss. He played some astounding gigs in Europe and America then - some of his best ever.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 28, 2010 11:24

Well Well Well Mono...could be intressting on his debut album since it's very Stereo on that one...

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 28, 2010 11:44

Don't forget this on August 16th, a CD called Folksingers Choice:

Not yet 21 and with his first album still unreleased, a largely unknown Bob Dylan was invited by New Yorks WBAI radio to perform a live broadcast for Cynthia Goodings Folksingers Choice programme on March 11th 1962. This legendary recording, available here for the first time, illustrates perfectly the scope and manner of Dylans live repertoire in the months leading up to his debut release. In addition to the three originals, all newly minted by Dylan, he covers songs by the likes of Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie and Big Joe Williams, but interestingly does not perform any tracks that would feature on his first record just weeks from release at the time of this broadcast. Folksingers Choice also contains the only known Dylan performances of Smokestack Lightning, Hard Travelin and Roll On, John and features the first known outings of The Death Of Emmett Till and Standing On The Highway. The 11 songs performed are liberally interspersed with chat between Bob and Cynthia, however, far from spoiling the show, this only go to enhance one of the best early recordings we have of Bob Dylan, making this CD an incredibly important early document"

TRACKLIST
1. (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle (Hank Williams / Jimmy Davies)
2. Fixin To Die (Bukka White)
3. Smokestack Lightning (Burnett)
4. Hard Travelin (Woody Guthrie)
5. The Death Of Emmett Till (Dylan)
6. Standing On The Highway (Dylan)
7. Roll On, John (trad., arr. Bob Dylan)
8. Stealin, Stealin (trad., arr. Memphis Jug Band)
9. Makes a Long Time Man Feel Bad (trad.)
10. Baby Please Dont Go (Big Joe Williams)
11. Hard Times In New York Town (Dylan)

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: July 28, 2010 12:06

TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

Thanks for mentioning Child's Balloon, teaatthree, I didn't know that one yet.
Rock Solid is great, unfortunately it's not a complete concert. My favourite so far is Toronto 1980 (Gospeller), an excellent soundboard recording I downloaded just recently from hungercity.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home