Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Uncensored Star Star?
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:08

I read somewhere here some months ago that Universal said that the censored version of Star Star on the Goats Head Soup remaster was a mistake and that they corrected that mistake and released an uncensored version of GHS. Is that true? Is there an uncensored version of Goats Head Soup available in Europe? I mean that edition in the Super Jewel cases with the round edges. Does anyone know?

Re: Uncensored Star Star?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:12

There are uncensored versions out there, but it appears to be impossible to know without buying. The UME download version is uncensored, but that may not be an acceptable substitute for you.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:47

It's interesting, I think, that the censored version was reissued since that was the original version release wise. Is that part of UMe's "forward thinking"?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:52

The audio is a bit muddled but you get the idea.

Knebworth 1976

CBII

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:31

Sometimes I could kick myself for my butt for not playing old DVDs for too long at time.
Thanks for reminding me of this beauty. Man, these cats rock!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:46

This one is my fave

Mick & Ronnie 3:08 on the same microphone .smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:58

midnrambler
I read somewhere here some months ago that Universal said that the censored version of Star Star on the Goats Head Soup remaster was a mistake and that they corrected that mistake and released an uncensored version of GHS. Is that true? Is there an uncensored version of Goats Head Soup available in Europe? I mean that edition in the Super Jewel cases with the round edges. Does anyone know?

The U. S. release of the album had the censored version. The UK album at the time did not. Otherwise, the album looked the same. The CD release now is the uncensored version, pretty sure.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:23

So both the censored and uncensored have the exact same UPC numbering??

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:52

I always liked the 78 Ft Worth version with that jimmy page reference, just watched it on a link from those youtube posts.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:57

You've set me thinking, I'm sure both my vinyl GHS and my cd are uncensored...I didn't even realise that it had ever been censored. Exactly which are the lines that were cut...is it jus the Jimmy Page line?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:58

What's there to censor????

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:10

...not this again: there were so many threads, discussed to death and the censored original US-vinyl is well known for nearly 40 years now... Just use the search function

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:34

Amsterdamned

I don't know ...I ones heard that it has to do with the tricks with fruit and a pussy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:43

Pervert.cool smiley

Date: August 31, 2010 01:07

Same UPC number regardless of censored version or not.

The Jimmy Page line isn't on GOATS HEAD SOUP. It was added to live versions in the mid-seventies out of sensitivity to John Wayne who was dying of cancer. The original line on the studio recording is "I'll make bets that you're going to get John Wayne before he dies." It was replaced with the bitchy "Jimmy Page was quite the rage. I could not see the reason why."

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 31, 2010 04:51

Short answer: if you want the uncensored version in the US you must seek out the out-of-print Virgin CD.

Date: August 31, 2010 10:57

electricmud
...not this again: there were so many threads, discussed to death and the censored original US-vinyl is well known for nearly 40 years now... Just use the search function

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: August 31, 2010 17:32

Oh yes, this again.

Like BV said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 31, 2010 18:19

Glam Descendant
Short answer: if you want the uncensored version in the US you must seek out the out-of-print Virgin CD.

That's not entirely true - I thought the mistake had been caught and now all versions were uncensored?

Date: August 31, 2010 18:22

skipstone
Oh yes, this again.

Like BV said, if you don't like it, don't read it.
Oh,but not only I like it,but then I can read some older threads that I never read before.So it's good to bring back interesting posts from time to time .smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 31, 2010 18:23

electricmud
Why don't you simply answer my question instead of moaning and writing bs?

Date: August 31, 2010 18:27

Once again my question (I have the impression that you all don't understand my initial postwinking smiley): Is there an uncensored European (German) UNIVERSAL/Polydor edition, the one in the Super Jewel Case with round edges?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 31, 2010 18:30

NICOS
Amsterdamned

I don't know ...I ones heard that it has to do with the tricks with fruit and a pussy

A pussy goes bananas. Very funny, Nico.

Date: August 31, 2010 20:13

I don't know the answer! I have yet to buy any UMe reissues.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 31, 2010 23:25

midnrambler
Once again my question (I have the impression that you all don't understand my initial postwinking smiley): Is there an uncensored European (German) UNIVERSAL/Polydor edition, the one in the Super Jewel Case with round edges?

It is censored on my copy - "sort of" double tracked - just sounds silly compared to the original version - doesn't hide anything at all really

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 31, 2010 23:31

never heard or seen a censored version ....

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 1, 2010 00:12

midnrambler

Didn`t want to moan about your initial question cause that`s a good one: as far as I know has the first 2009 remastered cd issue ( you could buy with the box) the original US-vinyl censored version. The later 2009 "pressings" should have the regular version which was the original one for all people outside the US. If these are the ones with the round edges , don`t know (but think so).

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: September 1, 2010 02:10

Interesting - my copy of the remastered GHS came with the box (I have a Virgin CD and the original LP as well to compare)
Does that mean I have to pick up another copy of the remastered GHS for the 'uncensored' version? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: September 1, 2010 02:20

Where can you get the "new" censored version? Is it the same as the vinyl censor or different?

The 2009 US version is not censored.

Date: September 1, 2010 05:53

There were 2009 US versions that were censored as well as later issues (with the same UPC code) that were uncensored. I've owned both. Universal corrected the mistake but appeared not to want to deal with customer service and making exchanges for people. The censored version was one sold by Atlantic Records in the US on vinyl and cassette for a number of years so it was, strictly speaking, defective product. Gratefully and surprisingly, Promotone cared enough to correct the master.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home