Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: smoking cigarettes
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 26, 2010 18:45

kleermaker
angee
I've got nothing like Marv's story (congrats!), but...
I smoked for decades, same amount, was up to 50 cigarettes a day.
I went into an in-house three-day program with other smokers, and quit.
That was in 1994.

I only quit once, and didn't start up even when
a good-looking man offered me a cigarette right after a Stones show that year.
I still miss smoking.

You've stopped smoking 16 years ago and still miss smoking. It would be interesting to know why and/or what you exactly still miss.

I won't speak for Angee, but for me it's part of the addiction, to remember smoking as being better than it actually was...so tasty, so relaxing...

the addiction is very cunning, whispering things like "oh, and you don't have to smoke a lot like you did before -- you'll just have a couple when you want to, no big deal, you have already proven you can master it..."

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 26, 2010 19:15

I was touched by some posts here -most of all by the posts of some people I know the best ,swiss & deadflowers .
btw,swiss,I hope your moving in SF went well.I am loking forward to hear from it.smiling smiley

This sentence had been oversaid & repeted,I know but this is the truth :

"Don't ever touch the 1st cigarette "!

I began to smoke "quite late" comparing to some people,at the age of 23.
I stayed almost one year in a kibbutz as a volunteer & almost everyone was a smoker ,then.As a volunteer,I had a room ,the meal for free and received some money for my work,plus some packets/packages of cigarettes every month.I sold them to the people who smoked .grinning smiley

The first time I smoked there ,it wasn't a cigarette,but this brown stuff called...I forgot !:-))
I quiclky ended with it after I left the kibbutz & came back from Holland to France .....but I went on smoking cigarettes until my 35 anniversary .

I stopped suddenly and never touched one again, with the help of one visit at the acupuncture who gave me some homeopathy....

Now I can't stand the smoke of cigarettes but I admitt I sometimes open a package when one of my friend smokes ,just to smell how it smelt good...:-))))only when it isn't lighted !!!

The speech to our children is a hard work to do .Talking about health mean nothing for them when they are young ...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-26 20:37 by SwayStones.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 26, 2010 20:28

Well as far as what I miss
Smoking after a good meal
while driving
after doing some hard work
First thing in the morning,
Just before going to bed ...

It takes you up and it brings you down ...

I miss them less with each passing year, but I know I can never smoke just one...

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 26, 2010 20:47

marvpeck
Well as far as what I miss
Smoking after a good meal
while driving
after doing some hard work
First thing in the morning,
Just before going to bed ...

It takes you up and it brings you down ...

I miss them less with each passing year, but I know I can never smoke just one...

Marv, be strong! I read your story and it was quite something!

I'm still intrigued by the mysterious attraction of cigarettes that even still exists if one hasn't smoked for many years.

Concerning children: when my daughter was about 12 I smoked a cigar with her in the weekend (not every weekend and only one in a weekend). We had fun and the 'forbidden attraction' of smoking had totally gone. Plus: when you smoke cigars (I did it very seldom, and now almost never) you don't inhale, so it's by far less dangerous for you health than cigarettes. Anyway, my daughter is now almost 23, she has smoked cigarettes only during parties and still does so sometimes, only during parties, but never much and she never got addicted. In fact she smokes cigarettes like she did smoke her 'weekly' cigar: without inhaling! So that fatherly approach turned out to be a very clever one.

Date: July 26, 2010 20:52

dancingmisterd
For the same reasons marijuana is illegal in the US, tobacco should be illegal as well. Alcohol too.

Otherwise it is hypocrisy.

>>>Well, now if I were the president of this land
You know, I'd declare total war on The Pusher man
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun
God damn The Pusher<<<

God damn the ones who fell in the trapp ....the trapp of any "drug" ,there are so many of us ......

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 26, 2010 22:21

Gonna chime in on this one...

First off let me just say: I LOVE SMOKING!

OK. Now that I've got that off of my chest, we'll go on to part two...

I am a recovering "Nicoholic" and have not had any nicotine since August of 2007.

My last cigarette story isn't nearly as dramatic as Marv's (glad you're still with us man!) but it's somewhat similar in that it involves some lost time that I've had to have filled in by others...

I was on stage with my band getting ready to start our first set of the night. Our female vocalist (Lindsay) walked on stage with a pack of Marlboro Medium's. After a few months of Ultra-Light's & Nicorette Gum, they looked SOOO GOOD. I bummed one and we started "Take Me To The River". I stood there playing in all of my "hot-boxing" glory and loved it as the buzz descended. However, by the end of the first verse, along came the nausea. I put the smoke out and walked off stage to sit down for a moment. I had to go back on stage to sing some backup vocals at the end of the song. As I walked past Lindsay, I told her the cigarette had made me sick and she apologized. As I turned around to face the microphone, I realized that, although my hands still thought they were playing the bass, my right hand was actually no longer making contact with the strings. Looking at Lindsay and saying "I've got a problem" is the last thing I remember.

The next time I knew I was alive, I knew I was horizontal with my eyes closed and I heard someone asking, "Does he need CPR"? With my eyes still closed, I answered "No. He does not need CPR". I opened my eyes and said, "But I am going to lay here for a few minutes". 15 minutes later we started our second song of the night.

As I like to say, the first 10,000 cigarettes didn't make me pass out but the last one did.

As I said earlier, I'm a Nicoholic. I don't know why this word isn't used more often (except for the slim possibility that I may have made it up). I'm like Marv - I know me - one cigarette would be too many. Forget the warning labels, I used to smoke WHILE chewing the gum! I read in one of the earlier posts that after seven years you quit wanting to smoke. I hope so 'cause three years in, I still want to steel them out of my wife's purse.

I wish the best for anyone who decides to quit. I DO NOT recommend using the method I described above (Floor to hard, head to soft) but whatever works for you is probably the best thing you can find.

I can tell you that your entire body will hate you for quitting. The stories I hear of people just laying down the cigarettes with no withdrawal make me think that, somehow, they managed to not become addicted. Good for them. For the rest of us, QUITTING SUCKS! There's actually a great set of public service ads running on US TV & Radio that talk about how much quitting sucks - I think they're hilarious anyway! For me the key was/is simple: Don't Smoke. Not even one.

For all of those of you still smoking: Enjoy one for me! Also, you're welcome at my house anytime! If I can ever get my wife to quit, I'll probably make you go outside but, for now, it's all good with me! Enjoy your smokes until the government finally outlaws or prices them out of existence.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 27, 2010 00:31

mr_dja
Gonna chime in on this one...

First off let me just say: I LOVE SMOKING!

OK. Now that I've got that off of my chest, we'll go on to part two...

I am a recovering "Nicoholic" and have not had any nicotine since August of 2007.

My last cigarette story isn't nearly as dramatic as Marv's (glad you're still with us man!) but it's somewhat similar in that it involves some lost time that I've had to have filled in by others...

I was on stage with my band getting ready to start our first set of the night. Our female vocalist (Lindsay) walked on stage with a pack of Marlboro Medium's. After a few months of Ultra-Light's & Nicorette Gum, they looked SOOO GOOD. I bummed one and we started "Take Me To The River". I stood there playing in all of my "hot-boxing" glory and loved it as the buzz descended. However, by the end of the first verse, along came the nausea. I put the smoke out and walked off stage to sit down for a moment. I had to go back on stage to sing some backup vocals at the end of the song. As I walked past Lindsay, I told her the cigarette had made me sick and she apologized. As I turned around to face the microphone, I realized that, although my hands still thought they were playing the bass, my right hand was actually no longer making contact with the strings. Looking at Lindsay and saying "I've got a problem" is the last thing I remember.

The next time I knew I was alive, I knew I was horizontal with my eyes closed and I heard someone asking, "Does he need CPR"? With my eyes still closed, I answered "No. He does not need CPR". I opened my eyes and said, "But I am going to lay here for a few minutes". 15 minutes later we started our second song of the night.

As I like to say, the first 10,000 cigarettes didn't make me pass out but the last one did.

As I said earlier, I'm a Nicoholic. I don't know why this word isn't used more often (except for the slim possibility that I may have made it up). I'm like Marv - I know me - one cigarette would be too many. Forget the warning labels, I used to smoke WHILE chewing the gum! I read in one of the earlier posts that after seven years you quit wanting to smoke. I hope so 'cause three years in, I still want to steel them out of my wife's purse.

I wish the best for anyone who decides to quit. I DO NOT recommend using the method I described above (Floor to hard, head to soft) but whatever works for you is probably the best thing you can find.

I can tell you that your entire body will hate you for quitting. The stories I hear of people just laying down the cigarettes with no withdrawal make me think that, somehow, they managed to not become addicted. Good for them. For the rest of us, QUITTING SUCKS! There's actually a great set of public service ads running on US TV & Radio that talk about how much quitting sucks - I think they're hilarious anyway! For me the key was/is simple: Don't Smoke. Not even one.

For all of those of you still smoking: Enjoy one for me! Also, you're welcome at my house anytime! If I can ever get my wife to quit, I'll probably make you go outside but, for now, it's all good with me! Enjoy your smokes until the government finally outlaws or prices them out of existence.

Peace,
Mr DJA

great post,this is a deadly serious business.

btw I love the song "take me to the river..
play it in my band, in E major, always ..)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 27, 2010 04:06

SwayStones

I stayed almost one year in a kibbutz as a volunteer & almost everyone was a smoker ,then.As a volunteer,I had a room ,the meal for free and received some money for my work,plus some packets/packages of cigarettes every month.I sold them to the people who smoked .grinning smiley

Wow, a light bulb just went off in my head....27 years too late!

Back in the 80's I was on a Kibbutz for 5 months. We got paid 15 shekels a month (or was it per week?) and a carton of cigarettes. Since I am a non-smoker, I declined the cigarettes. I didn't even think to take them and sell them, oh well. I guess I wasn't so entrepreneurial back then.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 27, 2010 05:00

Congratulations to all of you who have quit. It took strength that many, many people simply do not have. I have quit a number of times myself; I keep waiting for one to stick.

The original poster, who said no one could be happy at 70, was probably just joking. I am sure he realizes that he is on a Stones forum, where the subjects of our attention are all around that age.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 27, 2010 07:54

kleermaker,
I miss everything mentioned above...

and the hit of concentration and excitement and sedation all in one,
depending...

I suppose I am imagining it better than it was, and yet...

Oh, and the comaraderie of smokers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 07:56 by angee.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 27, 2010 09:15

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 16:57 by ryanpow.

Date: July 27, 2010 14:10

BluzDude
SwayStones

Wow, a light bulb just went off in my head....27 years too late!

Back in the 80's I was on a Kibbutz for 5 months. We got paid 15 shekels a month (or was it per week?) and a carton of cigarettes. Since I am a non-smoker, I declined the cigarettes. I didn't even think to take them and sell them, oh well. I guess I wasn't so entrepreneurial back then.

Check your mail box,BluzDude

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 28, 2010 20:06

angee
kleermaker,
I miss everything mentioned above...

and the hit of concentration and excitement and sedation all in one,
depending...

I suppose I am imagining it better than it was, and yet...

Oh, and the comaraderie of smokers!

Thanks for your reply, angee.

I may be wrong but I think it's especially the unconscious associating of smoking and drinking with feeling calm and comfortable that does the bad trick. So it must be a matter of conditioning which can be solved by getting back to reality in the way swiss has described so impressively. I know, easy for me to say, but I think those who are struggling with it really can be helped by swiss' post up here.

Date: July 28, 2010 20:17

kleermaker
.I may be wrong but I think it's especially the unconscious associating of smoking and drinking with feeling calm and comfortable that does the bad trick. ..

when I decided to quit with the cigarettes,tobacco or whatever you call it, I got rid of café & alcohol I mean I stopped with it for a while ..In France as you already know it, "apéritifs et café " go with cigarettes.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: July 28, 2010 20:25

I decided to quit from on moment to another. That means from 90 cigaretts a day to zero!
As far as I remember, the first 3 days with cold turkey were the hardest days. But in anyway I needed a couple of months more to get the cigaretts out of my brain.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home