Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Stones To Stop Rolling (with a giant farewell tour) - The Sun
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 27, 2010 21:25

KRiffhard
six month ago BV said: "Yes they will be active in 2010. Performing live. Releasing stuff you never heard before. That's pretty active."

I hope so!smileys with beer

They certainly wont be performing live in 2010. They've already released a statement several months ago saying that. And the only 'stuff youve never heard before' to come out in 2010 will be archive material.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 27, 2010 22:09

I think they will sell this tour as being their last one...

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 27, 2010 22:28

Harm
I think they will sell this tour as being their last one...

"This could be the Last Time, I don't Know."

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:10

one thing that wasnt being denied is plans for a tour starting in 2011.

the stones only denied it would be the last tour.

so could we get an official anouncement soon.

Date: July 28, 2010 01:21

wee bobby lennox

What makes you think that?

They dont even have a new 'product' lined up to 'tour' behind.

They're unlikely to be on tour until the second half of 2011, in which case you're not going to get an announcement until spring 2011 at the earliest.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2010 07:09

Gazza
wee bobby lennox

What makes you think that?

They dont even have a new 'product' lined up to 'tour' behind.

They're unlikely to be on tour until the second half of 2011, in which case you're not going to get an announcement until spring 2011 at the earliest.

I agree with that...I also think they'll put out some new material to coincide with the tour. (as in ACTUAL new material)

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:41

Here's an article from Bloomberg news:

[www.bloomberg.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:48

mickscarey
It is a DONE DEAL

Yeahhhh, 18 million dollars and being shipped off to Siberia. Hopefully he'll disappear for good there.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:07

If you had been in Fresno , in 1965, you could have gotten to see the Stones for a dollar. As a bonus, Brian Jones was in the group then.

I shan't be attending the Stones this time around . will invest in the new Rolling Stones DVD if the sound quality is exceptional. Will really like to hear it on home theatre 5.1 Dolby . .

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:20

I wonder how that 360 deal Live Nation made with Shakira is working out for them?

My opinion is that Live Nation will pass on the tour. Too much money to front and they are on the verge of collapsing after their bad business deals the past few years.

Date: July 28, 2010 18:33

That's a pisser - the Stones could easily afford to do their own tour. They don't need Live Nation or anyone to do it. I've always wondered, if they really wanted to tour and play music they could do it on their own.

But they don't want to just tour and play music. The sponsorships are just business and they had better pay well because Mick can't be bothered and if he is to be bothered he'd better get a ton of money for it and it's very very expensive to get Keith to remember anything and it's very very very expensive to convince Charlie to be interested in anything.

Ronnie, ha ha, it seems he'll do something for next to nothing.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: August 5, 2010 02:27

Gazza
stonescrow

January 14, 1963 was Charlie's first official gig with the Stones just six months after the Stones first official gig on July 12, 1962. Wouldn't surprise me to see them complete the tour on the 50th anniversary of Charlie's first gig, however, either way works for me. Sounds like the tour is going to run at least through the summer of 2012 so they would be very close to Charlie's date.

Not as close as it would be to the official 50th anniversary date which IS in the summer of 2012. Finish a tour with a show in mid-January? Er...dont think so. Where's THAT going to be? Australia?

I know if I was doing the scheduling I would cover both anniversary dates. Maybe Twickenham on or around the bands official 50th Birthday (July 12, 2012) and Madison Square Garden on or around Charlie's anniversary (January 14, 2013). The Garden concert could be promoted as the Stones final live performance and would be shown in theaters all around the globe. Of course I am dreaming a little bit here, but if you are going to go out why not go out covering all bases with all guns blazing? Buenos Aires and Rio would be other possibilities for a final show around or near Charlie's date.

stonescrow
The good news is that once they complete the final tour they can get down to doing some serious blues stuff in the studio. This is kind of the way I see the finish of their lives playing out. If they can stay alive and healthy there is no reason why they couldn't continue making music into their eighties like some of the other old blues men.

Like who? What makes anyone think that a band who have spent next to no time in a studio in the last 13 years even in-between tours and have showed next to no interest in recording or promoting new material are going to suddenly not only spending more and more time in the studio, but will be making the sort of music they've veered away from in the last decade, which their 'target' audience doesnt really get and which is a genre which sells in minimal numbers anyway.

Once they stop touring things could change dramatically, can't go around in lemon yellow tights forever, if you know what I mean? Yes, age and the desire to continue to be productive will motivate them to spend their latter years in the studio singing the blues! Of course the flip side of the coin could be that they all sail off in different directions after they stop touring and only come together for weddings and funerals. We will just have to wait and see.

Date: August 5, 2010 02:41

Charlie's 'anniversary' means nothing. It's of no real significance. I doubt even the Stones themselves are aware of the date. Its not like they suddenly became a 'band' because one guy joined them.

As for the 'desire to be productive' - in the entire second half of their career, theyve made four albums. FOUR. In 25 years.

They're not suddenly going to get motivated in their 70s to make an outdated form of music that doesnt sell, especially in an industry where sales (including that of their own new music) have been in the toilet for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 02:42 by Gazza.

Date: August 5, 2010 03:18

Gazza
Charlie's 'anniversary' means nothing. It's of no real significance. I doubt even the Stones themselves are aware of the date. Its not like they suddenly became a 'band' because one guy joined them.

Taking into consideration the enormous respect and admiration the Stones have for Charlie if they are not aware of the date then someone within their camp should see to it that they become aware of it. Since Charlie "completed" the "early" Stones it would be a nice tribute to him to close the tour on *his* anniversary.

As for the 'desire to be productive' - in the entire second half of their career, theyve made four albums. FOUR. In 25 years.

Age and mortality have a strange way of changing a persons outlook.

They're not suddenly going to get motivated in their 70s to make an outdated form of music that doesnt sell, especially in an industry where sales (including that of their own new music) have been in the toilet for years.

Sales will be the last thing on these guys minds at that point, it will strictly be for the love of the music they create.

Date: August 5, 2010 04:11

Then why have they largely abandoned this form of music that they 'love' both in the studio and in live performance over the last decade?

And...doing albums of blues covers means no publishing royalties for Mick and Keith. A HUGE factor against the likelihood of it happening going by the events of recent years (eg the omission of 'Little Red Rooster' from 40 Licks even though it was a number 1 single plus the fact that 'Dirty Work' was the only post-ABKCO album not represented on the same compilation - almost certainly because the lead single from it was the only time in that entire era where the biggest hit from a studio album was a cover version). They're very careful not to have too many non Jagger-Richards songs on any album at the expense of an original composition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-05 04:17 by Gazza.

Date: August 5, 2010 22:20

Gazza
Then why have they largely abandoned this form of music that they 'love' both in the studio and in live performance over the last decade?

And...doing albums of blues covers means no publishing royalties for Mick and Keith. A HUGE factor against the likelihood of it happening going by the events of recent years (eg the omission of 'Little Red Rooster' from 40 Licks even though it was a number 1 single plus the fact that 'Dirty Work' was the only post-ABKCO album not represented on the same compilation - almost certainly because the lead single from it was the only time in that entire era where the biggest hit from a studio album was a cover version). They're very careful not to have too many non Jagger-Richards songs on any album at the expense of an original composition.

As much as I admire Mick Jagger I haven't always agreed with some of his decisions regarding the musical direction of the Stones over the years. Somewhere along the line it appears that Keith relinquished some of his authority regarding the musical direction of the band. Sometimes it seems Mick is far to concerned with following musical trends which is probably due to his deep need for acceptance especially from the youth of the day which might just explain his obsession to remain young through his two hour "aerobic" shows. At some point he is going to have to give up the aerobics and face his own mortality. Hopefully, at that point we will begin to see a slow turn around resulting in a return to the bands blues roots.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 5, 2010 22:27

mick facing mortality and giving up aerobics? he'll be more active as a corpse in his box than most of us are today....

Date: August 5, 2010 23:33

What Stones product this year? The very late Exile reissue? That's it. There's nothing else.

Date: August 6, 2010 01:13

StonesTod
mick facing mortality and giving up aerobics? he'll be more active as a corpse in his box than most of us are today....

No doubt he is one remarkable 67 year old athlete, and not a bad singer either, however, we all eventually succumb to Father Time, except for Eastwood and Jack LaLanne, of course!

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home