Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Loverboy...any fans
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 25, 2010 02:29

keefriffhard4life
here you go, every album lukather played on that wasn't a toto or solo album:
[www.stevelukather.net]
Big deal. So he's a lifelong seasoned studio musician. Saying he can outplay anybody in the Stones with one hand behind his back is anothe. If he's so @#$%& good why can't he get a band together that'll outsell the Stones. Toto was bland bubblegum rock. Looking at the list of people he's played with that seems to be his specialty.

Date: July 25, 2010 02:48

being a good musician doesn't mean you can write good tunes. look at most of jeff beck's career. are you saying a studio musician can't out play richards or wood? thats a @#$%& joke. any studio musician is generally someone who can come in and play whatever anyone wants in very few takes and get it perfect. lukather could come on stage now and play every stones solo the exact way it is on the album. outselling someone doesn't make yu good either. are you 10 years old or something? lady gaga outsells the stones so she must be good right?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 25, 2010 02:49

sweetcharmedlife
keefriffhard4life
here you go, every album lukather played on that wasn't a toto or solo album:
[www.stevelukather.net]
Big deal. So he's a lifelong seasoned studio musician. Saying he can outplay anybody in the Stones with one hand behind his back is anothe. If he's so @#$%& good why can't he get a band together that'll outsell the Stones. Toto was bland bubblegum rock. Looking at the list of people he's played with that seems to be his specialty.

So outselling is your musical arguement?
Come up with something better.

Date: July 25, 2010 02:52

also i see aretha franklin, joe cocker, paul mccartney, boz skaggs, chicago, elthon john, stevie nicks, michael jackson, graham nash, alice cooper, earth wind and fire, don henley, america, john mayall, roger waters,cozy powell and many more on that list so not sure how he is playing the same kind of music on every album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 02:52 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 25, 2010 07:42

I complimented the song, though your description makes them (Blue Rodeo) sound like a wedding band.

..they aren't that, and maybe I lacked the proper adjectives for your taste, but you'd have to sift through their 12 records in order to figure that out

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2010 07:59

keefriffhard4life
the guys in toto could out play anyone in the stones with one hand tied behind their backs.

TOO BAD their music is shyte.

Date: July 25, 2010 17:44

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
the guys in toto could out play anyone in the stones with one hand tied behind their backs.

Forget about the image. The Stones had their own too.eye rolling smiley

Date: July 25, 2010 17:59

Toto was bland bubblegum rock.

.....absolutely..

Toto is/was godawful no matter how 'good' the musicians are... for crying out loud their (like Def Leppard) records are so sterile and antiseptic sounding I think they were recorded in a hospital operating room

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 25, 2010 18:06

Did Loverboy do that tune something along the lines of 'Why don't you turn me loose'?

Date: July 25, 2010 18:20

Did Loverboy do that tune something along the lines of 'Why don't you turn me loose'?

...yes... but I wish you hadn't reminded me of that horrible lousy song!

Loverboy - are a fine example of graduates of the 'ABC School of Lyric Writing,' where the first rhymes taught are 'please and knees.' KISS were also graduates of this fine academy.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 25, 2010 18:37

Wasn't that just a rip off of ol' Frank? "I've gotta do it my way (or no way at all-eeee-alllll!!!!!)"?

Date: July 25, 2010 18:52

stones77
Toto was bland bubblegum rock.

.....absolutely..

Toto is/was godawful no matter how 'good' the musicians are... for crying out loud their (like Def Leppard) records are so sterile and antiseptic sounding I think they were recorded in a hospital operating room

At least they were not rusted.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2010 19:07

Amsterdamned
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life

Forget about the image. The Stones had their own too.eye rolling smiley

If you're speaking to me, I'm referring to the music...the image I won't even comment on.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 25, 2010 19:55

stones77

...yes... but I wish you hadn't reminded me of that horrible lousy song!

Loverboy - are a fine example of graduates of the 'ABC School of Lyric Writing,' where the first rhymes taught are 'please and knees.'
Yeah it's too bad they coulod'nt write soem great lyrics like this.

One time you were my baby chicken
Now you've grown into a fox
Once upon a time I was your little rooster
But am I just one of your cocks

Or even better,like this.

Everybody's talking
Showing up their wits
The moon is yellow but I'm like jello
Staring down your tits

Date: July 25, 2010 20:07

Nothing can beat Zappa imo....(It was a Monster hit in Norway )

Hey there, people, Im bobby brown
They say Im the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiney
I tell all the girls they can kiss my heinie
Here I am at a famous school
Im dressin sharp n im
Actin cool
I got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work n maybe later I'll rape her

Oh God I am the american dream
I do not think Im too extreme
An Im a handsome sonofabitch
Im gonna get a good job n be real rich

(get a good
Get a good
Get a good
Get a good job)

Womens liberation
Came creepin across the nation
I tell you people I was not ready
When I fu**ed this dyke by the name of freddie
She made a little speech then,
Aw, she tried to make me say when
She had my balls in a vice, but she left the dick
I guess it's still hooked on, but now it shoots too quick

But now I smell like vaseline
An Im a miserable sonofabitch
Am I a boy or a lady...i don't know which

(I wonder wonder
Wonder wonder)

So I went out n bought me a leisure suit
I jingle my change, but Im still kinda cute
Got a job doin radio promo
An none of the jocks can even tell Im a homo
Eventually me n a friend
Sorta drifted along into s&m
I can take about an hour on the tower of power
Long as I gets a little golden shower

With a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream
An I'll do anything to get ahead
I lay awake nights sayin, thank you, fred!
Oh god, oh god, Im so fantastic!
Thanks to freddie, Im a sexual spastic
And my name is bobby brown
Watch me now, Im goin down,
And my name is bobby brown
Watch me now, Im goin down, etc.

Just to make sure it's not ment to be offending smiling smiley :

Date: July 25, 2010 20:20

Date: July 25, 2010 20:24

keefriffhard4life

I wonder what comments you got if Jagger sung this one winking smiley

Date: July 25, 2010 20:34

huh?

Date: July 25, 2010 20:39

keefriffhard4life
huh?

Forget it.

Date: July 25, 2010 21:16

are you saying if jagger sang that tune people would praise it on here?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 25, 2010 21:45

Amsterdamned

And what is that...three dozen copies??

Date: July 25, 2010 21:49

keefriffhard4life
are you saying if jagger sang that tune people would praise it on here?

Nope.This is a Stones board so I expect the Majority not to like it.
I like Toto a lot though ..the way the music is produced in combination with their image is the reason why many people don't like them...quite opposite the RS. The musical and technical level cannot be compared to the Stones..Mission impossible,"defending"
their music makes me almost feel like a traitor,reading some reactions.
I never had any problems with 8-tees neo proggrock..like Mister Mister etc..that's why I came up with Toto.

btw the song you posted reminds me of Dream Theater.I bet Steve and the rest of Toto have listened very well to them..or the other way around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 21:53 by Amsterdamned.

Date: July 25, 2010 21:51

loog droog
Amsterdamned

And what is that...three dozen copies??

Nope,it was a number one hit I believe, way back it was released.
Scandinavians have a good taste.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 25, 2010 21:55

Let's get back to how Loverboy sucks. Back in the 80's if you told someone you liked Loverboy you probabaly would of been pounded. There where a chicks band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 21:57 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: July 25, 2010 21:59

More Hot Rocks
Let's get back to how Loverboy sucks. Back in the 80's if you told someone you liked Loverboy you probabaly would of been pounded. There where a chicks band.

I don't even know them,sorry.

Date: July 25, 2010 22:05

More Hot Rocks said: "Let's get back to how Loverboy sucks. Back in the 80's if you told someone you liked Loverboy you probabaly would of been pounded. There where a chicks band".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly!

Date: July 25, 2010 23:07

More Hot Rocks

and when the stones first started you could hardly hear them playing over the screaming girls. wow most people in this thread who don't like loverboy have pretty much zero of an argument as to why they suck. if you dislike the music fine but to try and use album sales and chicks screaming as a way to say they are bad is pretty dumb

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 25, 2010 23:44

no not me not a fan. i kinda cringed when i saw the thread title frankly. like, wtf! but hey no accounting for taste. just tasteless generic awful crap it seems to me. and that toto band being discussed. well they suck too. bigtime. i mean bigtime. rosanna, along with csn suite judy blue eyes...the two most awful blaphemous shit radio hits ever done in their era.
u know a lot of people can play well technically that have absolutely nothing to say, and nothing old to say that's anything worthwhile imo...
i mean EVERYONE can play some guitar or piano. the spark of soul or some sense of earned personal history in the personal soul department. yeh that's a value judgement. admitted...that's also an intangible kind of thing to try to explain without writing a book...in the soul department loverboy and toto have never registered for me personally. i mean i like eagles and miley cyrus better; and i'm not even kidding. relatively speaking, it's more a honest effort imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 23:47 by Beelyboy.

Date: July 26, 2010 00:11

<lot of people can play well technically that have absolutely nothing to say, and nothing old to say that's anything worthwhile imo.<beelboy>

Sadly enough there are even more people that cannot play well technically ,and have absolutely nothing to say.The spark of soul has nothing to do with technical ability,I know, but if they lack both,than it's the end of the story for me.
No offend intented.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 26, 2010 00:17

Amsterdamned
<lot of people can play well technically that have absolutely nothing to say, and nothing old to say that's anything worthwhile imo.<beelboy>

Sadly enough there are even more people that cannot play well technically ,and have absolutely nothing to say.The spark of soul has nothing to do with technical ability,I know, but if they lack both,than it's the end of the story for me.
No offend intented.

well thats true too!! a lot of peeps who haven't spent the time and earned a degree of relative technical proficiency would lean on my argument above, as a means to escape really working hard with inspiration to present something wonderful...and to assume, an unearned sense of relative 'artistry' when it's really either laziness or lack of vision. i do respect good players; and depending on the personality and spirit of a 'studio musician' per se, well, you've got a wonderful capable bunch of people who can really soar and hopefully they've trained themselves to LISTEN to what's going on with all the other instruments and make a cohesive contribution...
maybe i haven't been fair to loverboy or toto; cause they are really accomplished in some ways...just the whole thrust of their thing seemed kinda hollow, personally!!) to my aesthetics...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home