Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Loverboy...any fans
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:32

Gotta go - I'm "Working For The Weekend".

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 23, 2010 21:46

Ladykiller
I did not know, that they still exist. But if Loverboy come to my area, I want also go. "Turn Me Loose" is one of my absolute favorite rock songs.

Yes do go you won't be disappointed. A very tight show, they do all hits and done very in very good form. Sounded like they were in the studio in the 80's

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2010 21:48

StonesTod
i think sometimes a band is practically advertising and announcing just how bad they are just by their name alone. can you imagine a band called loverboy being anything BUT awful?

WAIT JUST A DOGGONE MINUTE!!!

Now you're gonna tell me you don't like the song, "Loverboy" by Billy Ocean!

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: July 23, 2010 21:56

Stop right now...this post should be deleated on the basis on the bands name alone ...not to mention the music.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 24, 2010 03:55

no, not really

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 24, 2010 07:27

This entire discussion should be removed from the stream of human consciousness. Loverboy, i.e., Son of Foreigner, was a symptom/symbol of everything that sucked about '80's commercial rock. Geez, what's next, a Styx/Kansas fanboy thread?

Eventually, I took that review copy of the first Loverboy album (i.e., the one that I tried to use as a Frisbee), smashed it "into little pieces," and made a sculpture of sorts out of it. The thing looked like the remains of a helicopter crash. It was probably the most constructive use ever of a Loverboy record.

Maybe the surviving members of Foreigner and Loverboy can unite for a tour under the name Foreign Loverboy. This concept reminds me of Jean-Pierre, the French dude on Cheers who was forever trying to horn in on Woody's girlfriend Kelly. All he really just wanted to do was dupe her into a quickie wedding, bang her, and "take half her money."

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 24, 2010 08:12

baxlap
This entire discussion should be removed from the stream of human consciousness. Loverboy, i.e., Son of Foreigner, was a symptom/symbol of everything that sucked about '80's commercial rock. Geez, what's next, a Styx/Kansas fanboy thread?

Eventually, I took that review copy of the first Loverboy album (i.e., the one that I tried to use as a Frisbee), smashed it "into little pieces," and made a sculpture of sorts out of it. The thing looked like the remains of a helicopter crash. It was probably the most constructive use ever of a Loverboy record.

Maybe the surviving members of Foreigner and Loverboy can unite for a tour under the name Foreign Loverboy. This concept reminds me of Jean-Pierre, the French dude on Cheers who was forever trying to horn in on Woody's girlfriend Kelly. All he really just wanted to do was dupe her into a quickie wedding, bang her, and "take half her money."

Dont like what you read dont read it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2010 16:07

baxlap

Maybe the surviving members of Foreigner and Loverboy can unite for a tour under the name Foreign Loverboy. quote]

or..."Love the Foreign Boy"...or "Foreign Boy Love"...ewww

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 24, 2010 17:04

Loverboy still 'has it' after all these years? Has what? They never had anything to begin with. As a Canadian I suppose I should de facto state the truism that along with Celine Dion, Nickleback and Bryan Adams, Loverboy is, was, and shall always remain a national embarrassment that played bland MTV fashion friendly pap for teenyboppers.

Ugh. Absolutely horrible band. I get the shudders and feel physically ill just thinking about this. There were other absolutely vomit inducing 80s Canadian bands too..Loverboy isn't the only guilty party here.. Platinum Blonde, Honeymoon Suite, Glass Tiger, Helix, Prism etc etc ... you know the type, absolutely ridiculous spandex pants wearing, poseur hair bands ..

in the 80's I was deeply into listening to blues music, guys like Tinsley Ellis, Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, Donald Kinsey Report, Duke Robilliard and stuff..Stevie Ray Vaughan .. because all the MTV fashion hair bands no matter where they were from (Warrant, Tesla, Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Ratt .. all that rot) were so embarrassingly terrible..

there were some great 80s rock bands though; Moe Berg was writing hilarious and good rock tunes here in Canada fronting the Pursuit of Happiness, Jeff Healey of course - a true genius - stateside the Replacements were and still are one of my favorites bands ever, someone mentioned Blasters - for that matter anything to do with Dave Alvin, then there was Los Lobos, Hothouse Flowers; their first record is from the 80s and is great.. Loverboy cannot even be mentioned in the same sentence as these bands ...

I'd suggest immediately burning all your Loverboy records at the stake, and delving into Canadian rock that actually is quite good and sticks to your ribs, ..dig into Blue Rodeo's 25 year history and 12 album catalogue, or Tragically Hip's 20 year history and 11 album catalogue.. for just a couple of examples. .. most of both band's records are multi-platinum sellers in Canada .. .. that's a good start to wean you off the Loverboy my friend.. !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-24 17:23 by stones77.

Date: July 24, 2010 17:20

this sounds like hair metal???

Date: July 24, 2010 17:30

no, it just sounds bad.

..if you want to hear a band play this sort of music effectively, with people that can actually sing it, listen to Blue Rodeo. They were playing 'alt-country' years before bands like Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and Jayhawks (all of whom I like) had the term affixed to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-24 17:36 by stones77.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 24, 2010 22:58

Didn't they do Can't Fight That Feeling Anymore or some song like that?

Date: July 24, 2010 23:14

Didn't they do Can't Fight That Feeling Anymore or some song like that?

Who? Loverboy?

It wasn't Blue Rodeo that's for sure.. !

I think it was REO Stationwagon.

Date: July 24, 2010 23:16

All those songs get lost - Carry On Wayward Son and I Need A Lover That Won't Drive Me Crazy - Boston, Kansas, REO, Loverboy - it all sounds the same.

Date: July 24, 2010 23:27

All those songs get lost - Carry On Wayward Son and I Need A Lover That Won't Drive Me Crazy - Boston, Kansas, REO, Loverboy - it all sounds the same.

..and don't forget Toto, Starship and most especially Journey... because there it all explodes into a whole new entire stratosphere of crap

I saw the Stones in Buffalo in 1981 at Rich Stadium and had to suffer through Journey as an opening act; not sure who's brilliant idea that was.. ..

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 24, 2010 23:38

Blue Rodeo - not bad. Guy's voice is a bit generic, but the first cut sounds like "Indian Girl" for a while.

Date: July 24, 2010 23:51

Blue Rodeo - not bad. Guy's voice is a bit generic, but the first cut sounds like "Indian Girl" for a while.

Blue Rodeo actually have two lead/rhythm guitarist/singers, so their songs differ depending on who wrote/sings it. Normally the other guy that didn't write it and doesn't sing it - does the guitar solos.

Neither of them are noted for their 'generic - ness'; and sing/play rock, blues, jazzy, country.. psychedelia.. the gamut..with equal skill

this looks better at 480p; was ripped from an old VHS tape

That's Bob Egan (ex Wilco) on slide

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-24 23:58 by stones77.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2010 23:53

stones77

..and don't forget Toto, Starship and most especially Journey... because there it all explodes into a whole new entire stratosphere of crap

I saw the Stones in Buffalo in 1981 at Rich Stadium and had to suffer through Journey as an opening act; not sure who's brilliant idea that was.. ..

Nothing wrong with Toto imo,compared to the Stones in the 8-tees??

Date: July 25, 2010 00:07

the guys in toto could out play anyone in the stones with one hand tied behind their backs.

Date: July 25, 2010 00:12

It's not that they could out play the Stones with their arms chopped off (a lot of people could/can), it's just that all those hit songs sucked and they still suck. Drive through the middle latitudes of the United States between Denver and, I dunno, Cincinnati, and all you hear is that crap on the radio (along with the usual overplayed Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Who, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Skynnrd, YES, Queen and many many many many more).

Date: July 25, 2010 00:12

the guys in toto could out play anyone in the stones with one hand tied behind their backs.

..yet still manage to sound completely bland and boring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-25 00:12 by stones77.

Date: July 25, 2010 00:18

stones77

since steve lukather has played on over 1,000 albums how do you know if you've ever heard something by him you thought was good

Date: July 25, 2010 00:20

stones77

Matter of taste.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: July 25, 2010 00:21

Come On
I have never heard of them (must be my age)...we're there any serious rock in the 80ies?

The Smiths
Lords of the New Church

and dozens more...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 25, 2010 00:22

keefriffhard4life

I agree. Sounds like something i would say.

Date: July 25, 2010 00:23

Matter of taste.

agreed

and since everyone's is different .. no point in arguing

nice collection of mullets in the Toto band though; I will give them credit for that, very nice

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 25, 2010 00:52

stones77
Neither of them are noted for their 'generic - ness'; and sing/play rock, blues, jazzy, country.. psychedelia.. the gamut..with equal skill

what do you mean? I just noted it--the first track in particular. And I complimented the song, though your description makes them sound like a wedding band.

Date: July 25, 2010 00:57

stones77
Matter of taste.

agreed

and since everyone's is different .. no point in arguing

nice collection of mullets in the Toto band though; I will give them credit for that, very nice

Different haircut,different musicians.drinking smiley

Date: July 25, 2010 01:04

here you go, every album lukather played on that wasn't a toto or solo album:
[www.stevelukather.net]

Date: July 25, 2010 01:22

<It's not that they could out play the Stones with their arms chopped off (a lot of people could/can), it's just that all those hit songs sucked and they still suck.><Skipsstone>

They don't suck to me.
Btw Steve Lukather praises Richards for being a great rhythm player.
Very modest.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home