Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LSTNT 1981 Hampton/Still Life : 3rd guitar added??!!
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 26, 2010 14:30

In another thread I mentioned that the SMU version of Flashpoint sucks cause of adding a third guitar which destroys the live-feeling to me. And thanx to skipstone he mentioned that this happened with LSTNT on Still Life! I never noticed and never would have: after nearly 30 years I checked that the bridge of LSTNT (Still Live version around 1:50) has a third guitar added playing a melodyline. According to D.Hoffmann years ago LSTNT was one of the very few official live recordings with no overdubs. Wrong? First I thought that this is a delay guitar effect, but it`s a different melodyline..
This is one of my favorit alltime live-recording of the Stones and I checked other sources and that`s confusing:
par example Ride Like The Wind (VGP-290) has the same effect like the official version, the Swinging Pig box has too much distortion to notice, but my old vinyl source Grand Finale (to me the best or one of the very best audio from Hampton) does not have the added guitar! So the bootleggers have different versions ,too. Always thought it`s the same source from TV.
I know it`s just a little thing but I`m very critic with these overdubs or adding. So did you ever notice? Any opinions?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 16:32 by electricmud.

Re: LSTNT 1981 Hampton/Still Live : 3rd guitar added??!!
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 26, 2010 15:16

electricmud
In another thread I mentioned that the SMU version of Flashpoint sucks cause of adding a third guitar which destroys the live-feeling to me. And thanx to skipstone he mentioned that this happened with LSTNT on Still Live! I never noticed and never would have: after nearly 30 years I checked that the bridge of LSTNT (Still Live version around 1:50) has a third guitar added playing a melodyline. According to D.Hoffmann years ago LSTNT was one of the very few official live recordings with no overdubs. Wrong? First I thought that this is a delay guitar effect, but it`s a different melodyline..
This is one of my favorit alltime live-recording of the Stones and I checked other sources and that`s confusing:
par example Ride Like The Wind (VGP-290) has the same effect like the official version, the Swinging Pig box has too much distortion to notice, but my old vinyl source Grand Finale (to me the best or one of the very best audio from Hampton) does not have the added guitar! So the bootleggers have different versions ,too. Always thought it`s the same source from TV.
I know it`s just a little thing but I`m very critic with these overdubs or adding. So did you ever notice? Any opinions?

There's a few dubs on SL, and one of them indeed is the third guitar during the bridge of LSTNT (and the end it edited ofcourse).

Mathijs

Date: August 26, 2010 15:23

@Mathijs : right, SL has lots of well known OD`s, but never realized LSTNT. The other point is that some of the bootlegs (like the mentioned VGP release) seems to use the overdubbed version.

Thomas

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 26, 2010 16:15

Just for accuracy it's 'Still Life' and not 'Live'.

Carry on

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 26, 2010 16:32

electricmud
@Mathijs : right, SL has lots of well known OD`s, but never realized LSTNT. The other point is that some of the bootlegs (like the mentioned VGP release) seems to use the overdubbed version.

Thomas

Well, "lots of" is actually not true. Most of the vocals are redone, there's a guitar dub on LSTNT and during the middle-eight of Let Me Go, but as far as I know that's about it.

Mathijs

Re: LSTNT 1981 Hampton/Still Life : 3rd guitar added??!!
Date: August 26, 2010 16:34

Munichhilton

Just for accuracy it's 'Still Life' and not 'Live'.

oops, corrected immediatlyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 27, 2010 01:40

Wow, you really did start a different thread ElectricMud!

My biggest wonder about this particular overdub is WHY? It's not needed.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: August 27, 2010 17:18

Mathijs
electricmud

Thomas

Well, "lots of" is actually not true. Most of the vocals are redone, there's a guitar dub on LSTNT and during the middle-eight of Let Me Go, but as far as I know that's about it.

Mathijs

Man, if Jagger had sung like he did early during that tour, he wouldn't have to overdub much. Just compare Seattle to Hampton, for example. His vocals in Seattle was so much better than in Hampton. Early on during the 81-tour he sounded like he did during most of the 78-tour; i.e at his BEST!

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 27, 2010 19:47

electricmud
but my old vinyl source Grand Finale (to me the best or one of the very best audio from Hampton)

Definitely true! That was the first boot I got from the 81 Tour (in spring 1982) and it blew me away then and still does now.

Date: August 27, 2010 21:47

django
Definitely true! That was the first boot I got from the 81 Tour (in spring 1982) and it blew me away then and still does now.

Yeah! But unfortunatly only 8 tracks... Got mine in spring 1982 too and its still in perfect condition , no crackles and like you said: this sound is still blowing me away!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 27, 2010 21:51

Interesting thread guys...I've often thought I can hear dubs on various songs but just dismissed it as, maybe Jagger was playing or later stuff Blondie etc. What I find strange is that, I've read just about every book on the stones, biographies included and nowhere to my memory can remember any of them saying...we went into the studio to do overdubs etc. Is it an unwritten rule that they just don't talk about such things, or just consider it too dull to be included?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home