Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Goats Head Soup - a very rewarding listening experience
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 21, 2010 21:40

sometimes im up
sometimes im down
sometimes im falling .......on the ground
but i get high, going to get high on your love...

fknamazingsong...even if i dont know the correct words...
that piano jamming with the guitars in the middle is so fkncool....
ohyeah ..oh yeah.......gonna get high on your love...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 21, 2010 22:43

It's still amazing to me that they left off Waiting On A Friend (had they finished it, of course), Tops (same), Save Me and Through The Lonely Nights. Any others that anyone knows were finished?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 21, 2010 23:03

skipstone
It's still amazing to me that they left off Waiting On A Friend (had they finished it, of course), Tops (same), Save Me and Through The Lonely Nights. Any others that anyone knows were finished?

I'm glad they left off Waiting OAF, Tops and Safe Me. Those songs wouldn't have fit on GHS. Through TLN would have. Mr D (not a rocker!) is a great opening track for this album. You have to feel it (and those who want to hear 'more' in a track easily can in this one if they give it a try, because it fits in the overall mood of GHS). For me it's without any doubt the big 5, always have been. If Ya Ya's is included it's even the big 6. GHS is the Stones album I've grabbed the most during all those years. Always been my fav Stones album.

PS: I have no problems with the mix at all. It's simply an outstanding album to me.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: July 21, 2010 23:57

stones77
Richards is absent from most of the album, and then the album shows Taylor is too light-weight to carry an entire album.

- - I have to disagree there. Taylor's playing is great on this record, in fact in many spots it carries it. His bass playing on 'Coming Down Again' is fantastic.

That one song is worth the price of the record alone. It's perfect. In my opinion it's Keith's best vocal ever by a country mile. And that right there makes the album great. You can actually feel the pain.

GHS is a perfect timepiece; the Stones had hit the top, now they were 'coming down.' Somebody said it's a lousy follow up to Exile, but I disagree - it's the PERFECT follow up. It's the crash after the bash and the paradox to the previous 4 records.

This record should have been called Coming Down Again, because that reflects the mood and time, and also because Goat's Head Soup is a stupid title for anything.

The album reeks of sorrow and regret. There's real artistry here.

100 Years ago has stellar Mick Taylor wah-wah guitar throught and he carries it to the end, and I love Jagger's lyrics, plus it's a micrcosm of the entire record; at parts wistful and at others raucous.

Hide Your Love is s cool piano tune, and has more cool Taylor guitar throughout.

But it has songs I can't stand - Dancing With Mr D is an embarrassment that wouldn't scare a 2 year old, (although on Brussels it comes to life, and I do like it there) and Can You Hear The Music is just dumb. Silver Train is sort of a All Down The Line re-write but not near as good, but Keith's bass is great and so is Taylor's slide.

Winter is to me one of the Stones best songs, meloncholy as hell, has a a sparkling Tayolor solo and a great Jagger vocal, and a real Van Morrison's vibe, his stuff like Listen To The Lion.

Heartbreaker - is rather generic to me but Taylor's wah-wah riffs and short but effective solo make the song work, for me.

I love the guitar run through the Leslie effect which circulates throughout the record.

I don't like the track order and a couple of the songs absolutely suck, but hey, it's not Exile or Sticky Fingers, but who cares? It's not supposed to be.

I believe you are right in your appreciations! Not great but I like it!
Who cares? Music is about feelings, isn't it?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 22, 2010 00:00

Doxa
"Mr D" has written all over it: now we make a hit song from safe, sure and tested materials.

couldn't the same be said about "Rocks Off"?

Date: July 22, 2010 00:50

Since the Virgin reissues I really really loved GHS and at that point managed to get into Can You Hear The Music, with all the swirling funk going on in that tune, the production on it is very impressive I think, yet alone the layering of how everything is a kind of audio molasses.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 22, 2010 00:56

I disagree slightly with Doxa as i don't believe the Stones were repeating themselves with Dancing With Mr D or necessarily playing safe. I believe just like pretty much all of Goats Head Soup, Dancing With Mr D is the Stones playing a familiar role to a degree, certainly with regard to comparisons with both Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street, but instead of sounding vital, they sound rather tired and frayed around the edges, musically and lyrically perhaps. That may sound like a criticism but it's not because it is that feeling of lethargy that tends to give Goats Head Soup its own very recognisable identity, where the sounds within the songs give way to a sort of melancholy and melody which have been pretty much absent in the Stones sound up to that point. As a focused piece of work Goats Head Soup very much lacks the unity and convention of songcraft found in say Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, yet in many ways because there is less of a feeling of uniformity, there is perhaps greater scope and experimentation. It will always be however debatable as to whether Goats Head Soup is truly an inspiring album with a broader scope, or a rambling and unfocused second rate piece of work. I actually believe the more you listen to Goats Head Soup, the more there is to find to appreciate, and there is an incredible amount to enjoy, unlike say a later album like Some Girls, which is far more immediate but is pretty much one dimensional throughout and relatively boring longterm in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-22 01:04 by Edward Twining.

Date: July 22, 2010 01:01

Dancing With Mr D is just Satisfaction in A. Keith just slowed down how he played it on the 1969 tour and modulated it.

And Coming Down Again was them repeating themselves only backwards because Sleep Tonight is the bridge of Coming Down Again - Keith stole from himself in the future.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:22

cc
Doxa
"Mr D" has written all over it: now we make a hit song from safe, sure and tested materials.

couldn't the same be said about "Rocks Off"?

To an extent, yeah. But the result sound so natural, unforced, inspirated and simply not just hits but kills the target... they just seem to have to have that cocky attitude that "why don't we just play that bloody simple rock music thing the way nobody else can". No hostages. In the case of "Mr. D" I don't hear anything of that "we do whatever we do and we @#$%& know we will do it so well"; the song sounds artficial and manufactured; the band plays it like not really believing of its strenght or idea either. The Stones is music of feeling and attitude, and if they sound insecure with their doings, the results are not very memorable. I think what is absolutely awesome with the big four is that the music sounds so convincing - they are a par with their music and style. In some parts of GOATS HEAD SOAP - especially with its opener - they started to sound like they are somehow a bit lost, and not being comfortable with their songs and doings(like they did with SATANIC MAJESTIES). (Yeah, the song worked better on stage, but that's not much to do with the song but the band being so goddamn hot at the time.)

- Doxa

Date: July 22, 2010 01:25

What some consider as the weakness of GHS, as Edward has pointed out really well, is just its strength. The main point he makes is:

"That may sound like a criticism but it's not because it is that feeling of lethargy that tends to give Goats Head Soup its own very recognisable identity, where the sounds within the songs give way to a sort of melancholy and melody which have been pretty much absent in the Stones sound up to that point."

To me it never was, still isn't and certainly never will be "debatable as to whether Goats Head Soup is truly an inspiring album with a broader scope, or a rambling and unfocused second rate piece of work." In Edward Twining's first quote lies the answer already: see the bold words. Those words say rightly: it's not only "an inspiring album with a broader scope", but also an absolute masterpiece.

Indeed, the most conspicuous differences between GHS and SG are the immediateness and one dimensionality of the latter. In the long run those qualities are musically and emotionally deadly. I for one loved SG during the first months after its release, but pretty soon I had to conclude that its aforementioned qualities, its 'freshness' included, couldn't result in anything else but an in the end rather boring and uninteresting album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:54

I can share the points of Edward and Kleermaker of "Mr. D" sharing the qualities of the album, of what makes its identity and strength. But the problem is: as a song and as an individual performance I find it just so weak. I really hope they could have had a stronger introduction to the mood and nature of the album. It is reasons like this that can not quite rate it to the level of its forerunners.

I don't find the comparisons to SOME GIRLS very helpful here because the band is playing by different rules and agendas by then. I think the band manages to fill those criteria and goals better with SOME GIRLS - sounds more convincing - but it is the case of liking that kind of rules or agendas or not. As a "mood albums" GHS and SG are almost as far from each as any other Stones albums. I guess if I need to go to desert island by my own I would choose GHS - but if I had company (and booze), I rather choose SG...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-22 01:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: July 22, 2010 03:08

It was always my favorite Stones album and the 1st one i bought.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2010 05:25

kleermaker
skipstone

I'm glad they left off Waiting OAF, Tops and Safe Me. Those songs wouldn't have fit on GHS. Through TLN would have. Mr D (not a rocker!) is a great opening track for this album. You have to feel it (and those who want to hear 'more' in a track easily can in this one if they give it a try, because it fits in the overall mood of GHS). For me it's without any doubt the big 5, always have been. If Ya Ya's is included it's even the big 6. GHS is the Stones album I've grabbed the most during all those years. Always been my fav Stones album.

PS: I have no problems with the mix at all. It's simply an outstanding album to me.

If they had included Tops, WOAF, Save Me, Through the Lonely Nights, and perhaps Plundered (ok...I know I'm stretching a tad), and lost some of the poorer dreary material, I'm quite certain we'd be talking about the BIG 5 and not the BIG 4.

I would be thrilled if those additions and some deletions changed the tone of this album.

Date: July 22, 2010 08:50

Doxa
I can share the points of Edward and Kleermaker of "Mr. D" sharing the qualities of the album, of what makes its identity and strength. But the problem is: as a song and as an individual performance I find it just so weak. I really hope they could have had a stronger introduction to the mood and nature of the album. It is reasons like this that can not quite rate it to the level of its forerunners.

I don't find the comparisons to SOME GIRLS very helpful here because the band is playing by different rules and agendas by then. I think the band manages to fill those criteria and goals better with SOME GIRLS - sounds more convincing - but it is the case of liking that kind of rules or agendas or not. As a "mood albums" GHS and SG are almost as far from each as any other Stones albums. I guess if I need to go to desert island by my own I would choose GHS - but if I had company (and booze), I rather choose SG...

- Doxa

I'm really just trying to challenge critical perception with regard to Goats Head Soup and Some Girls, Doxa, by saying for all its perceived critical shortcomings actually Goats Head Soup has a much greater scope and depth to Some Girls, although perhaps not the focus. I have always felt Some Girls was pretty much the Stones taking on contemporary influences (punk and disco) with its stripped down sound and its immediacy (which does relate to the more primal sound of punk), and there are still touches of the Chuck Berry influences, but the blues influences which give the Stones sound much of its strength is missing. I can see how Some Girls has a freshness and vitality missing in much of the Stones previous few albums, but it is also very lightweight. I believe over the longterm Some Girls may not shine so brightly, but also just maybe given the same circumstances Goats Head Soup's many facets may have a chance to come to the fore.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: July 22, 2010 09:25

Here's a question for all of you to ponder. Please keep in mind that I'm a fan of "Angie" as both a song and as the first single off of the album. Would our perception of Goats Head Soup as an album be different had "Angie" not been released as the first single off of the album?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:01

If I have read the re issues threads correctly, the 2009 universal edition is somewhat censored and that the 1994 virgin edition is the better buy as it is a good remaster but is not censored lyrically, I forget the exact nature of the censor, Starf..ker strings to mind.
I have still got the old CBS edition, I have both the Exile and SF latest re issues but am reluctant to buy GHS due to the above mentioned censorship issue,would I be better off getting a 1994 copy, I didn't buy any of the Virgin reissues at the time as my son had just been born that year and my wife thiought I was crazy just buying the singles off Voodoo just for an extra track so there was no chance of re buying cd I already had.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:07

The enervation of Goat's Head is the emotional center of the album, the reason its supporters like it and its dettractors don't. I like the record, but agree with those who cite the opening track as a problem. I think the song is slightly misunderstood. In the context of the album title and recording in Jamaica, I think the Stones were playing around with voodoo imagery. "Mr. D", which comes off lame as either Death or Devil, I think is mant to be a Baron Samedi-style figure. With Jagger's campy delivery however, a lot of people felt this is where the Stones jumped the shark (years before the term came into vogue). A shame as there are several nice songs on the record. It is a little Jagger-dominated (though he comes through), but Keith gets his licks in (literally) with Angie, Coming Down Again and @#$%&. Taylor's playing is tasteful and Nicky Hopkins shines per usual. I think that Billy Preston's starting to come to the fore is not what Stones aficianados preferred. And Can You Hear the Music was impetetrable on release. I can enjoy it more now. In between those two tracks, a good record and whatever the cavils about the mix, a Jimmy Miller sounding one. Played it to death when it came out and still like it.

Date: July 22, 2010 10:33

TeddyB1018
The enervation of Goat's Head is the emotional center of the album, the reason its supporters like it and its dettractors don't. I like the record, but agree with those who cite the opening track as a problem. I think the song is slightly misunderstood. In the context of the album title and recording in Jamaica, I think the Stones were playing around with voodoo imagery. "Mr. D", which comes off lame as either Death or Devil, I think is mant to be a Baron Samedi-style figure. With Jagger's campy delivery however, a lot of people felt this is where the Stones jumped the shark (years before the term came into vogue). A shame as there are several nice songs on the record. It is a little Jagger-dominated (though he comes through), but Keith gets his licks in (literally) with Angie, Coming Down Again and @#$%&. Taylor's playing is tasteful and Nicky Hopkins shines per usual. I think that Billy Preston's starting to come to the fore is not what Stones aficianados preferred. And Can You Hear the Music was impetetrable on release. I can enjoy it more now. In between those two tracks, a good record and whatever the cavils about the mix, a Jimmy Miller sounding one. Played it to death when it came out and still like it.

Pretty much agree with you, Teddy. I particuarly agree with you referring to Jagger's campy delivery in relation to the reference to the Stones jumping the shark. Jagger's campy delivery pretty much dominates Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'N' Roll, and Black And Blue like never before. I think with Goats Head Soup the greatness remains from the previous 4 albums, if a little more frazzled. By It's Only Rock 'N' Roll however, the Stones inspiration appears to be fading fast and Jagger tends to use his campness as a way of perhaps deflecting attention away from the mediocrety of the songs. That being said, the early - mid seventies was a period when being androgenous was very much in vogue, so he may have simply been reflecting the times. There is undoubtedly a lack of focus on Goats Head Soup but the full deteriation didn't happen until It's Only Rock 'N' Roll. Goats Head Soup perhaps anticipated what was to come, but in itself the meandering and slight lack of focus to be found actually adds to its greatness.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 22, 2010 12:11

I think the band did make an honest attempt to change their sound on GHS but to me it was a failure, Their are a few gems like Heartbreaker and Winter but most of it sounds really dated and uninspired, don't see how this could be considered a classic. Of the post Exile 70's albums I would rate GHS above IORR but well below Black and Blue and Some Girls.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2010 17:42

Edward Twining
I believe over the longterm Some Girls may not shine so brightly

over the longterm? it's been 32 years! just how long do we have to wait for the final verdict? i'm busy picking out a gravesite already....

Date: July 22, 2010 19:47

72stones
Here's a question for all of you to ponder. Please keep in mind that I'm a fan of "Angie" as both a song and as the first single off of the album. Would our perception of Goats Head Soup as an album be different had "Angie" not been released as the first single off of the album?

What the hell else would they have released off the album as the lead single?

DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO is excellent, and was a single, but I doubt whether that would have been more commercial.

Silver Train maybe? Sounds too derivative of ADTL...way too soon for them to rehash the same song.

At least with It Must Be Hell, they waited a good 11 years.

Most of the other songs are even more melancholy, so I don't think our perception of this album would have changed, even slightly (good or bad), with the release of a different lead single.

Date: July 22, 2010 19:48

StonesTod
Edward Twining

over the longterm? it's been 32 years! just how long do we have to wait for the final verdict? i'm busy picking out a gravesite already....

You know you're old when Some Girls still sounds like 'new stones material' to the ears.

Date: July 22, 2010 20:01

StonesTod
Edward Twining

Leave that sad job to others, Tod, and keep on going.

Edward, when can we speak of a longterm in this case? For me that longterm was there rather quickly, in a couple of months. But 32 years seems a bit long for a longterm here.

Date: July 22, 2010 20:12

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Edward Twining

You know you're old when Some Girls still sounds like 'new stones material' to the ears.

Too true, treaclefingers, or perhaps there has been little of anything of note since! I am afraid i am guilty of still thinking of Some Girls as a latter day Stones album.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 22, 2010 22:37

...not in love with the opener or Can You hear The Music .....but this ones a certified winner....moody murky soulful grimey...Do Do and Star are killer... and maybe their most underated song ever in 100 Years Ago

Date: July 23, 2010 07:07

My fave is still when Mick said "We've got one from the Black And Blue album, this is Heartbreaker" on the Voodoo tour.

Posted by: likarollinstone ()
Date: July 27, 2010 01:44

Rip This
and maybe their most underated song ever in 100 Years Ago

1:35-2:00 and 2:35-until the end - blows my socks off. The drums are great too. Loud and raw.

Heatbreaker is the shit. Angie, Mister D...

has a very distinct early 70's soul/funk feel, not just because of Billy Preston.i think its a part of the concept.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 02:07 by likarollinstone.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2010 02:22

likarollinstone
Rip This
and maybe their most underated song ever in 100 Years Ago

1:35-2:00 and 2:35-until the end - blows my socks off. The drums are great too. Loud and raw.

Heatbreaker is the shit. Angie, Mister D...

has a very distinct early 70's soul/funk feel, not just because of Billy Preston.i think its a part of the concept.

I agree about the concept part. I think they (maybe by "they" I mean Mick and perhaps Taylor) wanted a funkier, more keyboard-based sound on GHS, and they got it. The mistake I think they made was on the following album where they went even more in that direction, but with weaker material.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 27, 2010 11:55

Strange that you are discussing the guitarists or the songs, it's all up to the keyboards! That is the main difference to the guitar band albums the Stones usually do/did. There is a lack of guitars, the same goes for Satanic Majesties, being criticized as structurewise conventional but soundwise new.
The keyboards belong to the era. On the next album (IORR) there are less (but necessary for songs like Fingerprint File). Therefeore, this album is less criticized than GHS.
Black And Blue has a variety of new styles. All three albums are considered by most as weak - at least after Exile and with Some Girls as a follow-up, prototype "guitar albums".

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 27, 2010 15:24

GHS is one of the most under-appreciated albums ever recorded. 100 Years Ago, Dancing With Mr. D, Heartbreaker, Starfuc**r, Silver Train, Winter, Coming Down Again (my favorite Keith vocal), Angie.

What is there not to love. Great Album!
1) Exile
2) Let It Bleed
3) Sticky Fingers
4) Beggar's Banquet
5) Some Girls
^) Aftermath
7) Goat's Head Soup

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home